Sitemap to show hidden links?

hechacker1

Jul 11, 2011, 8:07:53 PM7/11/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
Here's the situation, I would like to include links to plain sub-directories in the sitemap.

I can go into refinery admin area, and create a hidden page to: sub-directory

But hidden pages don't show up.

For Google Webmaster tools, it's recommended that it can crawl your site to find your files and search areas (Again, hidden Search by default).

Is there a quick way to selectively add hidden links?

I am thinking I can use Rails to enumerate the hidden sub-directories, instead of using Apache's default directory listing.

Thanks!

Philip Arndt

Jul 11, 2011, 8:11:21 PM7/11/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
Why not just override the sitemap code and remove the part where it locks it to non-hidden pages only. (".in_menu") here:

Just put this file in app/views/sitemap/ and change it :)

Hector Ordorica

Jul 11, 2011, 11:54:48 PM7/11/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll just create sitemap_show_hidden.xml.builder so I can give
web spiders one version with everything, and use the other sitemap for
UI.

> --
>
> http://www.refinerycms.com

Philip Arndt

Jul 11, 2011, 11:56:50 PM7/11/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
The current one can be seen here:

I'm not sure how this is a UI sitemap ;-) It's built pretty much exclusively for the spiders.

Hector Ordorica

Jul 12, 2011, 12:17:47 AM7/12/11
to refine...@googlegroups.com
You're right. For some reason I was thinking this was used in creation
of a page html footer sitemap.

Like you said, just removing "in_menu" and "and page.show_in_menu?"
did the trick. Now it gives a comprehensive sitemap of my site,
including the Privacy Policy and any blank sub-directory listings.