Wifi attachment prototype

Reef Angel Admin

May 3, 2010, 1:39:26 PM5/3/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Hello Guys,

I had a very positive and productive weekend.
I was able to get a simple web interface out of the controller and
start feeding data to it at refresh rate of 1s using the first wifi
attachment prototype I built. Not that it can't go faster, but 1s
refresh rate was plenty for temperature and PH readings.
The wifi attachment can be setup to work in either ADHOC or access
point mode and it works on 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11b/g.
Best of all, it has a DHCP client built-in, which means it's very user
friendly as far as networking goes.
All I had to do to configure was to give my wifi ssid, my
authentication mode (WPA2-PSK) and the passphrase and BAM.... I was
connected to my network through a secure wifi.
Creating the code wasn't so easy though :(
Many hours of brain burning and head banging to get that... lol :)
I used AJAX programming for the web experience, which means it is
browser and platform independent.
Aren't you Mac and linux users happy to hear that? :)
Now that I know it works, I can start creating a library and look for
an enclosure.
Take a look at the poor quality but very exciting video that shows
data being pulled to the browser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXmZnJ0MJ3c
Let me know what you think.
I'm very psyched about what opportunities this new attachment can
offer to the reefing community.

Cheers,
Roberto Imai

PicO Aquariums

May 3, 2010, 7:55:12 PM5/3/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Sweet I am super exited to see what can be done with this thing. Can't
wait to get mine up and running.
Thanks for all the hard work!!!

Deli
PicO Aquariums.com

Curt

May 12, 2010, 1:56:09 PM5/12/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Looking pretty good. It's amazing all the stuff that this controller
can do.

What direction were you planning on going with this attachment? Were
you wanting to have a status page that refreshes? Were you planning
on having the ability to remote configure the device? I'm just
curious to know. I can think of several things that could be done
with this addon.

I can't wait to get my controller and start configuring it.
Keep up all your hard work!

Curt

Roberto Imai

May 12, 2010, 2:21:28 PM5/12/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Curt,

I can say that sky is the limit.
I give you the tools and you come up with your own creation.
It's up to you all to decide what it can do.
But, for those that prefer to use what I have, I plan on having an AJAX oriented page that will be pulling data from the controller and will also give you the ability to override relays as my first release.
At this point, I'm listening to every request.

Roberto.

May 28, 2010, 8:45:44 PM5/28/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
For me it's working superb. The design is very nice and clean.

PicO Aquariums

May 28, 2010, 10:53:47 PM5/28/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Very nice.

Brian Mertens

May 29, 2010, 12:18:03 AM5/29/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
I like it as well. I assume at some point, there'd be a way to name the individual outlets?

On May 28, 2010, at 9:53 PM, PicO Aquariums wrote:

> Very nice.

Jacob Noes

May 29, 2010, 9:01:46 PM5/29/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
I really like it!

rEd86

Jun 2, 2010, 9:05:28 PM6/2/10
to Reef Angel Controller
This is looking great! I can't wait to kick the tires of a wifi
module... (I guess I have to get my controller first) :)

Let us know if/when you want help with the web development. I see a
need for a more robust API that returns XML results so that people can
easily write mobile apps to talk to this unit. Any info on the wifi
module you're favoring or is it too early?

--Ed

Roberto Imai

Jun 2, 2010, 9:57:09 PM6/2/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Currently the XML data that the controller returns is something very basic like this:
<RA>
<T1>793</T1>
<T2>793</T2>
<T3>793</T3>
<PH>977</PH>
<R>0</R>
<RON>0</RON>
<ROFF>255</ROFF>
</RA>
Where:
T1 = Temperature 1
T2 = Temperature 2
T3 = Temperature 3
PH = PH
R = Relay data
RON = Relay Override On data
ROFF = Relay Override Off data

Basically the controller can return any data you like to receive. It's just a matter of coding it to return that specific data, but with just this tiny piece of XML, you can basically write any mobile app to interpret that.
XML is the way to go.
For this particular code I'm using it, I coded it to do this:
http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/ = default page
http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/wifi = main screen
http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/rxx = override relays, where the first x indicates the relay you want to override and the second x indicates which mode you want to override.
There are 3 values that can be used on the second x:
0 = override relay off
1 = override relay on
2 = disable override and return to auto
The return page for this is command is the XML data.
For example, if you browse to http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/r51 you will be instructing the controller to override the relay 5 to on position.
If you just feel like peeking at the XML data, you can call an inexistent relay. I usually browse to http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/r99

The main screen is basically an AJAX powered webpage that keeps calling r99 to gather the XML data.
I felt that a refresh every 5s was sufficient.
But, since this will be an open source code, everything is free to modify anything and everything to accommodate their needs/requirements. :)
I'm leaning towards a Roving Networks module, because it is very simple to use and comes with pretty much everything built-in. The other modules I have tried are either too expensive, or do not offer stuff I'd like to have in the attachment.
I hope this info has given you some understanding of how the controller is interacting with the wifi attachment and the possibilities that can come out of it!!! :)

Sincerely,
Roberto Imai

rEd86

Jun 3, 2010, 7:00:21 AM6/3/10
to Reef Angel Controller
I saw what you were doing in your AJAX code and was wondering what the
numbers are for after the "r" in the URL. I noticed the site
responded even when I changed them.

This is the part I love about open source, sharing information and
speeding up the learning process. I might have an unopened WiFly GSX
module lying around that I purchased from SparkFun back when I first
started doing Arduino development - I'll have to look.

Cheers!

--Ed

Reef Angel Admin

Jun 3, 2010, 11:09:25 AM6/3/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Hi Ed,

Please look at the post above yours for an explanation of what the
numbers mean.

Roberto.

rEd86

Jun 3, 2010, 11:20:52 AM6/3/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was wondering what the numbers were when I
looked at the source BEFORE you made your post. It's pretty clear
what you're doing based on your explanation.

Thanks.

--Ed

Roberto Imai

Jun 26, 2010, 11:53:31 PM6/26/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I got some work done this past weeks.
Here is the result:
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/newhobby_photo/P1040887.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/newhobby_photo/P1040888.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/newhobby_photo/P1040890.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/newhobby_photo/P1040893.jpg

My board is working fine and initial tests were very good.
All I have to do now is fully test it and find a supplier of the cable used.
If you could connect and let me know if you encounter any problems, I would appreciate.
http://betatest.reefangel.com:2000/wifi
Unless there is a major problem that I'd have to work on this, it's going to be attached to my Reef Angel test unit until Tuesday 06/29/10 and then I'll put back the original ugly prototype.
I don't know who it was, but someone was monitoring my unit 24/7 for about 3 weeks. If you read this, would you send me an email letting me know if you encounter any problems?
The supplier of this little cable is the hold back now. I wish I spoke Chinese :(

Roberto.

Jacob Noes

Jun 26, 2010, 11:56:24 PM6/26/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Looks awesome! can't wait to get mine:)

Paulo Hanashiro

Jun 27, 2010, 1:41:37 AM6/27/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
it isn't working for me right now.

Curt

Jun 27, 2010, 11:23:09 AM6/27/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Have you determined how much this module is going to cost? I know you
might not want to post the exact amount because it may change due to
whatever reasons, but what kind of ball-park figure are we talking
about?

Curt

Roberto Imai

Jun 27, 2010, 12:10:23 PM6/27/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to shoot it for around $90.
Let's see how it goes.
What do you all think of this price range?

Roberto.

Roberto Imai

Jun 27, 2010, 12:13:03 PM6/27/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paulo,

Do you have any firewall that would block outgoing port 2000?
That's an odd port, I know. It's configurable, but I had something else using the standard port 80.
Let me know of you are still unable to connect.

Roberto.

Jun 27, 2010, 2:34:16 PM6/27/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
I love the form factor!

$90 isn't bad considering what others are charging for their network modules.  It will be well worth it when the software is mature and you have a slick interface to manage and monitor the system.  (something the open-source community will help with)

Will the final enclosure let you see the LED activity?  (assuming those are four LEDs on the board)

Great job.  Let us know when you're ready to ship a few out for testing and coding.  I'll take one!

--Ed

Christian Fischer

Jun 29, 2010, 3:45:21 PM6/29/10
to Reef Angel Controller
me to

Tomás Armán

Jul 4, 2010, 1:41:31 PM7/4/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
90$ is a very good price! When would it be ready? I'm planning to order an complete Reef Angel kit this month and I would like to get the wifi module also, even though it has no software ;)

ToM

briha

Jul 4, 2010, 2:28:49 PM7/4/10
to Reef Angel Controller

On Jul 4, 10:41 am, Tomás Armán <tomas.ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 90$ is a very good price! When would it be ready? I'm planning to order an
> complete Reef Angel kit this month and I would like to get the wifi module
> also, even though it has no software ;)
>
> ToM
> Count me in Roberto.$90 is sweet!
Brian
> 2010/6/29 Christian Fischer <g2p.bri...@googlemail.com>
>

> > me to
>
> > On 27 Jun., 20:34, Ed Estes <re...@reefaddicts.com> wrote:
> > > I love the form factor!
>
> > > $90 isn't bad considering what others are charging for their network
> > > modules.  It will be well worth it when the software is mature and you
> > have
> > > a slick interface to manage and monitor the system.  (something the
> > > open-source community will help with)
>
> > > Will the final enclosure let you see the LED activity?  (assuming those
> > are
> > > four LEDs on the board)
>
> > > Great job.  Let us know when you're ready to ship a few out for testing
> > and
> > > coding.  I'll take one!
>
> > > --Ed- Hide quoted text -

jason

Jul 4, 2010, 8:23:00 PM7/4/10
to Reef Angel Controller

> > 90$ is a very good price! When would it be ready? I'm planning to order an
> > complete Reef Angel kit this month and I would like to get thewifimodule
> > also, even though it has no software ;)
>
> > ToM

Gotta say ditto, I've been watching the development here with the Reef
Angel and are considering buying one very soon, in addition to having
data accessible, it would be nice to see the ability to receive
updates via SMS in addition to the obvious feature of being able to
remotely control the tank.

Tomás Armán

Jul 5, 2010, 10:52:37 AM7/5/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
It would be easier (and cheaper) to set up email updates, but if you already have an SMS gateway working it should be very easy to do.

ToM

Marcelo_Bertalha

Jul 17, 2010, 12:51:02 PM7/17/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Very good price! will be an excellent device.
I'm planning to oder one very soon.

Tanks Roberto

On 5 jul, 11:52, Tomás Armán <tomas.ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be easier (and cheaper) to set up email updates, but if you already
> have an SMS gateway working it should be very easy to do.
>
> ToM

> > an
> > thewifimodule

> > Gotta say ditto, I've been watching the development here with the Reef
> > Angel and are considering buying one very soon, in addition to having
> > data accessible, it would be nice to see the ability to receive
> > updates via SMS in addition to the obvious feature of being able to
> > remotely control the tank.- Ocultar texto das mensagens anteriores -
>
> - Mostrar texto das mensagens anteriores -

Roberto Imai

Jul 30, 2010, 12:08:34 AM7/30/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wanted to inform that the wifi attachment is being manufactured and the enclosures are in the production line.
I'm expecting to have them ready to be shipped between 2 to 4 weeks.
I'll have 50 pieces available.
Please visit http://reefangel.com/order.html to place your pre-order and reserve yours.

Thank you,
Roberto.

Roberto Imai

Aug 13, 2010, 4:12:55 PM8/13/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had a minor set back on the enclosures.
They had to be sent back to be modified.
I should have them back next week.

Roberto.

Roberto Imai

Aug 18, 2010, 1:15:32 PM8/18/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
They are being shipped today.
I'll have manual and pictures soon.

Roberto

Message has been deleted

Roberto Imai

Aug 18, 2010, 1:57:16 PM8/18/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

I'm so sorry. I thought I responded to your question on the other email.
Anyway, I don't have them anymore otherwise I could send them to you.
The relay box got revamped and has different look and different connectors to make it easy to supply connectors.

Roberto.

Aug 20, 2010, 10:43:38 AM8/20/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The manual is up and when I was creating it, I realized the setting up part is a bit long and can be confusing.
Does anyone have any recommendation of a terminal emulator type of software that I could write a script to send text via COM port to the device and create a somewhat automated setup process?
Or maybe use .NET to create a GUI setup application?

Roberto.