Reef Angel iPhone app

Trent

Sep 24, 2010, 5:13:10 AM9/24/10
to Reef Angel Controller
I have been reading up on how to create iPhone apps. The last few days
I have been working on putting something together for us that will
give real time updates.

I have a rough UI set up and most of the framework sound... but I am
running into a small issue to make this app personalized for each
client.
Ideally I would have the app connect straight to your IP address and
download something similar to this http://www.reefangel.com/status/default.asp?id=rimai
and then display it through the app. My problem is that I dont know
how I can have the app differentiate between who is using it. Any
suggestions?

Trent Glace

Sep 24, 2010, 5:18:59 AM9/24/10
to Reef Angel Controller
Oh yeah, I almost forgot!
the app will be very simple for now but has a lot of room for expansion. heres a preview of the app directing you to the RA home page ;)
Screenshot2010-09-24at44731AM.png

And Roberto, do you have an image in mind that you will want to use for the app?
Screenshot2010-09-24at45038AM.png

Suggestions, help, criticisms are welcome
Trent

Roberto Imai

Sep 24, 2010, 11:39:02 AM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trent,

We can use reefangel.com to relay data, instead of a straight connection to the controller.
If you use the website, then as you mentioned: just load http://www.reefangel.com/status/default.asp?id=rimai
Where the rimai at the end of the address is the id which would be configurable within the app.
Did it make sense?
Unless you really want to go very deep and design an app that would interpret XML data.
If you go that route, I can give you an example of what Reef Angel XML data looks like.

Roberto.

Trent Glace

Sep 24, 2010, 12:37:13 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Is this app icon acceptable Roberto?  Or did you have something more specific or unique in mind?
Screenshot2010-09-24at123345PM.png

Roberto Imai

Sep 24, 2010, 12:41:34 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
LOL... Cute...
How big is the icon?
32x32pixels?

Roberto.

Trent Glace

Sep 24, 2010, 1:15:27 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com

The app image must be:

57x57, PNG, No Transparency, No Layers, 72 PPI

And when i get around to submitting it to the app store i have to have the same one in:

512x512, TIFF or JPEG, No Transparency, No Layers, 72 PPI

Note: iPhone OS applies rounded corners, optionally shine, and other effects

Trent Glace

Sep 24, 2010, 9:03:00 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hey Roberto, do we have support for graphing through an online portal (just like the params) on its way?  I spoke to Dave about it and he said it was possible and that he has implemented it into his client... I already laid the framework out for that and for future abilities to control the relays from the app.

You guys like what i have so far?
Screenshot2010-09-24at83942PM.png

Ali

Sep 24, 2010, 9:09:50 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
impressive!

Sent from my iPhone

Roberto Imai

Sep 24, 2010, 11:05:20 PM9/24/10
to reef...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trent,

Sweet app!!! :)
We are going to have to ask Ed if he can get something together.
I think he is the one with most knowledge on web coding.
I could probably search around for some canned versions, but it probably wouldn't be as nice.
We can store data on reefangel.com
I can get a SQL database together to start storing data, but to minimize the load, I think I'll start with just 24hrs of data and see how it goes.

Roberto.