The Little Redis Book

Karl Seguin

Jan 23, 2012, 12:30:04 PM1/23/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I released a free ebook about Redis called The Little Redis Book.

You can find out more and download it at:

You can also fork the project and translate it on github:

Karl

Herman A. Junge

Jan 23, 2012, 1:47:14 PM1/23/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I'll take the spanish translation.

Regards,

HJUNGE

Karl

Herman A. Junge

www.neosource.cl

Fono: (56 2) 231 33 83

Móvil: (56 9) 795 80 113

Providencia 2594 of. 211 / SCL

Demis Bellot

Jan 23, 2012, 2:21:06 PM1/23/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
That's an awesome overview resource Karl, thanks for your efforts.

It's also on Hacker News if anyone wants to leave a comment:

Cheers,

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Jan 23, 2012, 2:56:11 PM1/23/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Karl, thank you a ton!

I'll do an Italian translation in the weekend.

Salvatore

> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - VMware

http://invece.org
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit." -- Aristotele

lsbardel

Jan 24, 2012, 6:19:13 AM1/24/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Karl,
your example on page 19 (Time Values) is wrong in the sense that storing time values in a zset is not the correct way of doing it (or at least the way you are presenting it).

What about if I have the same price on two (or more) different days?

redis.zadd('GOOG', 101, 625.03)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 102, 623.01)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 103, 625.02)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 104, 624.98)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 105, 623.01)

redis.zrange('GOOG', 0, -1, 'withscores')

[[101, 625.03],
 [103, 625.02],
 [104, 624.98],
 [105, 623.01]]

the 102 time has gone.

If you want to use zset for timeseries you need to create a new unique object for each time (zset are sets).

Karl Seguin

Jan 26, 2012, 9:49:45 PM1/26/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
You are, of course, absolutely right. Chapter's gone.

lsbardel

Jan 27, 2012, 5:00:03 AM1/27/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Karl,
I don't think you should remove the chapter.
You could modify it to correct the issue, and at the same time warn readers to use zset correctly.
For example you could add the timestamp to the value to make it unique.

redis.zadd('GOOG', 101, 101 625.03)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 102, 102 623.01)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 103, 103 625.02)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 104, 104 624.98)
redis.zadd('GOOG', 105, 105 623.01)

redis.zrange('GOOG', 0, -1, 'withscores')

[[101, 101 625.03],
 [102, 102 623.01],
 [103, 103 625.02],
 [104, 104 624.98],
 [105, 105 623.01]]

It is up to the client library to easily extract the values.

This solution is not bad but it is not optimal (and I'm not referring to the extra data you need to store).

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Feb 1, 2012, 6:14:48 AM2/1/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com, sha...@gmail.com
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Salvatore Sanfilippo <ant...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll do an Italian translation in the weekend.

Good news about this, Sandro Conforto (in CC) is writing an Italian
translation, he already started and it looks neat.

Thank you Sandro!
Salvatore

Andrew Kondratovich

Feb 4, 2012, 3:41:52 AM2/4/12
to Redis DB
Hi,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I finished the russian
translation of this book.

You can find source and download it at:
https://github.com/kondratovich/the-little-redis-book

Andrew

sandro

Feb 17, 2012, 6:16:12 PM2/17/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com, ant...@gmail.com
Hi,
I just finished Italian translation, the latest pdf can be found at:

Of course, the project can be forked at:

I want to thank Salvatore for reading the draft and letting me know it was fine. Grazie!

Cheers,
Sandro

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Feb 17, 2012, 6:35:11 PM2/17/12
to sandro, redi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Sandro! I'll link it to Redis doc tomorrow.