Redis use case

Tomi

Nov 20, 2010, 11:36:28 AM11/20/10
to Redis DB
Hi folks!

I want to ask if Redis would be a good solution for my use case. I
want to use it for real time website usage analytics and maybe chat
history. Hardware will consist of 2 virtual private servers (Ubuntu
server, 50 GB HDD, 2GB RAM each) - one DB server with MySQL and one
web server with apache, node.js and Redis. Load will be probably
maximum of few hundred concurrent users. Is this a good idea to use
Redis here for realtime stuff and put it together on web server?
Thanks for your time and help.

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Nov 20, 2010, 1:17:47 PM11/20/10
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tomi,

yes it is a good use case for Redis.

You may want to use sorted sets and INCR for analytics, and lists for
chat history (LPUSH + LTRIM).

Cheers,
Salvatore

> --

Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
http://invece.org

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit." -- Aristotele

Matt Ranney

Nov 20, 2010, 1:27:29 PM11/20/10
to redi...@googlegroups.com
This sounds reasonable to me.

Also, writing node.js apps that talk to Redis is a lot of asynchronous fun.