how do I install AS 2.1 on a eserver x346 with an adaptec 7290 scsi controller?

Ian Diddams

Jan 25, 2005, 12:17:53 PM1/25/05
Hi - how do In install AS 2.1 on a eserver x346 with an adaptec 7290
scsi controller?

I do the boot from cdrom thang, select text, get as far as the
patrtioning bit andn the install collapses with an error indicating
that it hasn't found any disks to install on i.e. it can't recognise
any scsi disks.

I've googled like mad and can't find a single reference to this area,
which leads me to believe that for whatever reason RH would normally
recognise scsi drives and go ahead with its install!

any ideas?

cheers

ian

Ronald J Marchand

Jan 28, 2005, 8:47:13 AM1/28/05
"Ian Diddams" <did...@excite.com> wrote in message
Two things come to mind.
1. There is no scsi disk
2. There is no available space on the scsi disk that it found.

For Adaptec and a few others, you can ctrl+a during the boot and get the
scsi bios, then post the hardware found. I have never installed AS 2.1 so I
am unaware of the steps involved. What did the installation report about
the hardware it found, specifically the drive to be configured?

Is the controller built in or a card?

Ron

Ken Bell

Jan 30, 2005, 2:03:11 AM1/30/05
In article <c56a0f39.05012...@posting.google.com>,

Ian Diddams <did...@excite.com> wrote:
>Hi - how do In install AS 2.1 on a eserver x346 with an adaptec 7290
>scsi controller?

Did you view the Adaptec setup and see that the controller is working
and that the disk(s) are recognized by it?

If you pop a Windows CD in, does it recognize your disk(s)?

--
Ken Bell :: ken...@panix.com :: (212) 475-4976 (voice)

didds

Jan 31, 2005, 3:43:57 AM1/31/05
we have used the control-A bit and can verify that that the adator is
there and can see two drives.

we might have to dig around to find a windows cd ... but it would be a
pointer as you suggest .

cheesr!

ian

Ken Bell

Jan 31, 2005, 8:28:07 PM1/31/05
In article <1107161037.8...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

didds <did...@excite.com> wrote:
>we have used the control-A bit and can verify that that the adator is
>there and can see two drives.

I checked on an x345 and find that in the BIOS setup menu ("F1"
when prompted), under the section titled "Start Options", there is
an item "PCI Device Boot Priority" which we have set to "Planar
SCSI" (we're using the integrated LSI adapter).

The LSI setup utility allows specification of the "Boot order" of
the devices attached to the controller.

Under the Diagnostics menu ("F2"), in the section titled "Physical
Disk Drives", you should see the disk(s) and partition(s) on your
system, along with "Bootable: Yes" or "Bootable: No".

I recall, when setting up this system, going through the various
menus and setting the parameters "sensibly", but don't recall now
exactly what the defaults were and what was changed, however I do
recall that it was pretty straightforward (not that that does you
much good at this moment, unfortunately).