IMPORTANT: More changes to SSL certificates for https://api-secure.recaptcha.net

reCAPTCHA Support

May 2, 2011, 6:25:55 PM5/2/11
to reCAPTCHA
Hi all,

If you don't use reCAPTCHA over SSL, or if you have already changed
your code to use the new URLs (https://www.google.com/recaptcha/
api/...), you can stop reading now -- this change won't affect you.

If you haven't changed your URLs yet, users visiting your site will
get a slightly different error. Instead of getting an expired
certificate for api-secure.recaptcha.net, users will instead get a
valid certificate for the wrong domain: www.google.com. Since users
were *already* getting a bogus certificate for api-
secure.recaptcha.net, we don't consider this a breaking change; it's
just trading one kind of brokenness for an (arguably more accurate)
kind of brokenness.

So: this ought not to affect anyone who wasn't already affected by the
previous change, but we figured we'd announce it here anyways, so that
people are aware of the different error message that might show up in
users' browsers.

The announcement of the previous change can be found here:
http://groups.google.com/group/recaptcha-announce/browse_thread/thread/c1ff6844420c9e63

Best,
Colin (& the rest of the reCAPTCHA team)

reCAPTCHA Support

May 3, 2011, 3:04:57 PM5/3/11
to reCAPTCHA
This is now complete.

Colin

BF

May 3, 2011, 4:02:03 PM5/3/11
to reCAPTCHA
You operate a great FREE service, so please don't be offended by my
griping, but you had my email address since I signed up with my Google
account for the keys to use reCAPTCHA, don't you think you could have
emailed me this announcement instead of breaking my site and making me
come here to read why? If you didn't want to spam everyone with a
reCAPTCHA account, you could have seen that my key was using the old
URL and at sent me an email.

PJH

May 3, 2011, 4:06:40 PM5/3/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com
There is now an announce-only group which you are expected to read if you're using reCAPTCHA and don't want to be surprised at 6+ month old announcements taking effect: http://groups.google.com/group/recaptcha-announce?hl=en

PJH