Another IE6 postback issue

Jbarth

Oct 11, 2010, 5:26:11 PM10/11/10
to reCAPTCHA
Having an issue with the CAPTCHA control disappearing on postback only
in IE6 (God I hate supporting that browser). I've eliminated invalid
HTML as the cause by using the W3C validator against my code. Here's
the failing HTML stripped down to the basics.

<head>

<title>Captcha Test Page</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/
recaptcha/api/js/recaptcha_ajax.js"></script>
</head>
<script type="text/javascript">
var RecaptchaOptions = {
theme : 'white'
};
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function submitCaptcha()
{
var challenge = Recaptcha.get_challenge();
var response = Recaptcha.get_response();
document.cTest.submit();
}
</script>
<form name="cTest" method="post" action="Default2.aspx" id="cTest">
<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE"
value="/wEPDwULLTIwNDAwODk2OTNkZI8RyeyapimOf+FYjdp3uRuSbDAe" />
<input type="hidden" name="__EVENTVALIDATION"
id="__EVENTVALIDATION" value="/
wEWAgKd1PT4AgLh1JPwAweyXeJU3La6nb7U83fJo7Fdje++" />
Email: <input name="EmailAddress" type="text" id="EmailAddress" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/
recaptcha/api/challenge?k=XXXXXXXXXXXXX"></script>
<input type="button" value="Submit" onclick='submitCaptcha()' />
</form>

Mona Singh

Oct 12, 2010, 11:08:59 AM10/12/10
to reCAPTCHA
Try using https while launching the form. It worked in my case.

Jbarth

Oct 12, 2010, 12:29:55 PM10/12/10
to reCAPTCHA
Unfortunately I can't install Self SSL in my local dev machine and
won't be running this over SSL when it's live, so I don't think that's
going to help me.

Jbarth

Oct 12, 2010, 3:55:58 PM10/12/10
to reCAPTCHA
Also, if it helps trigger any suggestions, the ASP.NET plugin has the
same issue on this sample page.

-j

Jbarth

Oct 13, 2010, 11:54:41 AM10/13/10
to reCAPTCHA
This morning one of our web engineers pointed out it also does not
work in IE7, but does render in IE 8

Jbarth

Oct 13, 2010, 3:45:20 PM10/13/10
to reCAPTCHA
An update: IE7 actually does work on postback.

At this point, I'm at a loss for how to even investigate this any
further. Any form submission in IE6 seems to make the captcha code
disappear. I've gone so far as to look at other peoples demos and
Googles examples, and those don't work in IE 6 either. Example:
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/demo/ajax
and
http://www.google.com/recaptcha/demo/

Charlie Dance

Oct 13, 2010, 9:03:40 PM10/13/10
to reca...@googlegroups.com

2010/10/13 Jbarth <joe.ba...@gmail.com>

peteos

Mona Singh

Oct 13, 2010, 11:50:06 PM10/13/10
to reCAPTCHA
When i was facing the same issue, i noticed that basically if any type
of redirection happens, the captcha box disappears. For eg in our
project we were having a home page through which we can navigate to 6
different web forms. If i go through home page to say form1, the
captcha does not appear. If i refresh the page it starts appearing.

However if i take the url in a way that i bypass the homepage, i face
no problem with box appearing.

Also in my first case mentioned, when the box does appear, and i hit
submit button causing the validation to fail, the captcha box
disappears.

So to conclude in all my failure cases, some sort of redirection was
happening like one was from home page, another was from my class which
did not render the captcha box.

I was able to solve this if i use Https call. I dont know the reason
why but if i use https post nothing is blocked and it works absolutely
fine with ie6.
Apart from this i did lot of reasearch, but was not able to find any
other solution or reason for this behaviour.

On Oct 14, 6:03 am, Charlie Dance <charliedan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/13 Jbarth <joe.barth...@gmail.com>
>

> > An update:  IE7 actually does work on postback.
>
> > At this point, I'm at a loss for how to even investigate this any
> > further.  Any form submission in IE6 seems to make the captcha code
> > disappear.  I've gone so far as to look at other peoples demos and
> > Googles examples, and those don't work in IE 6 either.  Example:
> >http://www.google.com/recaptcha/demo/ajax
> > and
> >http://www.google.com/recaptcha/demo/
>
> > On Oct 13, 10:54 am, Jbarth <joe.barth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This morning one of our web engineers pointed out it also does not
> > > work in IE7, but does render in IE 8
>
> > --
> > .

Adrian Godong

Oct 14, 2010, 11:58:47 AM10/14/10
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like an HTTP Referrer problem. Can you confirm the HTTP Referrer values of those valid and invalid displays?

Adrian Godong
adrian...@gmail.com
Message has been deleted

Jbarth

Oct 15, 2010, 6:33:31 PM10/15/10
to reCAPTCHA
Adrian,

I confirmed the HTTP Referrer values for the forms, and they are as
expected. The initial HTTP referer value is empty (since we open the
form page directly) and the value after postback is the URL of the
hosting page:
http://localhost:28474/Default2.aspx
Message has been deleted