ReCaptcha accepts partial first word

Parrish Mooneyham

Mar 17, 2011, 9:47:19 PM3/17/11
to reCAPTCHA
I read a post back from 2008 that indicates the following:

"Due to the way reCAPTCHA works, we're only able to grade one of the
words in
the CAPTCHA. On rare occasion, the second word can be blank, or just a
bit
of noise. Therefore, we accept the solution if only the verification
word is
typed in.

-b "

My issue is I can enter only partial first word and it still accepts
and sends most of the time. If you wish to toy with it, it located at
http://www.mooneyhamconsulting.com/contact_me.html

You'll know what I'm seeing when you check it out.

Feel free to test all you want. If I have messed up in any way please
let me know my error and I'll correct it.

Thanks for the help
Parrish

reCAPTCHA Support

Mar 18, 2011, 1:14:33 AM3/18/11
to reca...@googlegroups.com, Parrish Mooneyham
Hi,

I filled in the form fields and tried a correct answer (which sent an
email) and a totally incorrect answer and it was blocked. This is a
good sign. The flow for filling out a new captcha could be improved
on the site, but based on those two tests the grading doesn't seem to
be a problem.

We take into account the difficulty of the captcha, sometimes allowing
users to get even the security word a little bit wrong... this might
be what you are seeing. Just typing in words totally unrelated to the
images should always give an error.

Best,

The reCAPTCHA Team.

> --

reCAPTCHA: stop spam, read books
http://www.google.com/recaptcha

Parrish Mooneyham

Mar 18, 2011, 10:16:56 AM3/18/11
to reCAPTCHA
Yes, you statement of ...."....allowing the users to get even the
security word a little bit wrong....." is exactly what I was
experiencing, and you answer about about this is great.. no problem, i
just wanted to ensure it was correct behavior OR if I didn't something
wrong... Thank you..

Your other statement..... ...."The flow for filling out a new captcha
could be improved on the site...."... what and how do you suggest
improving this? I'm always open for suggestions.. I don't 'CODE' the
website I do get around it and figure a way to get it done.. Thanks
for the help and information..

Parrish