IE error

Jody+

Aug 10, 2007, 10:26:05 AM8/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
Hi,

I just downloaded the recaptcha plugin for my blog at http://adamantius.net
last night. This morning one of my commenters had some problems with
Internet Explorer throwing an error: "Internet explorer cannot open
the internet site ______________ operation aborted." I duplicated the
error on my PC in IE7... when I disabled the recaptcha plugin, I was
able to comment in IE. I read that this problem can come about when
JS is inside tables in the body, but my theme doesn't use tables so I
don't know what could be causing the error. Any thoughts? I'd really
like to keep using the plugin, but unless everyone switches to
firefox, I don't think I'll be able to.

reCAPTCHA Support

Aug 10, 2007, 12:05:49 PM8/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
If you could put reCAPTCHA back up on your blog for a bit, it'd really help us figure out this issue.

Jody+

Aug 10, 2007, 12:08:11 PM8/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
I reactivated it,

Thanks for the help.

On Aug 10, 11:05 am, "reCAPTCHA Support" <supp...@recaptcha.net>
wrote:

> If you could put reCAPTCHA back up on your blog for a bit, it'd really help
> us figure out this issue.
>

> On 8/10/07, Jody+ <jbhowa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I just downloaded the recaptcha plugin for my blog at
> >http://adamantius.net
> > last night. This morning one of my commenters had some problems with
> > Internet Explorer throwing an error: "Internet explorer cannot open
> > the internet site ______________ operation aborted." I duplicated the
> > error on my PC in IE7... when I disabled the recaptcha plugin, I was
> > able to comment in IE. I read that this problem can come about when
> > JS is inside tables in the body, but my theme doesn't use tables so I
> > don't know what could be causing the error. Any thoughts? I'd really
> > like to keep using the plugin, but unless everyone switches to
> > firefox, I don't think I'll be able to.
>

> --
> reCAPTCHA: stop spam, read bookshttp://recaptcha.net

Jody+

Aug 10, 2007, 1:58:59 PM8/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
I've done some checking, and looked at the comment page while the
plugin is active. It seems that the plugin is using table cells,
which is evidently what causes this error in IE. It seems to happen
with the google maps API as well:

http://www.ryangrant.net/archives/internet-explorer-cannot-open-the-internet-site-operation-aborted-google-map-api

Thanks,
Jody

wrote:

> If you could put reCAPTCHA back up on your blog for a bit, it'd really help
> us figure out this issue.
>

> On 8/10/07, Jody+ <jbhowa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > I just downloaded the recaptcha plugin for my blog at
> >http://adamantius.net
> > last night. This morning one of my commenters had some problems with
> > Internet Explorer throwing an error: "Internet explorer cannot open
> > the internet site ______________ operation aborted." I duplicated the
> > error on my PC in IE7... when I disabled the recaptcha plugin, I was
> > able to comment in IE. I read that this problem can come about when
> > JS is inside tables in the body, but my theme doesn't use tables so I
> > don't know what could be causing the error. Any thoughts? I'd really
> > like to keep using the plugin, but unless everyone switches to
> > firefox, I don't think I'll be able to.

reCAPTCHA Support

Aug 10, 2007, 2:23:46 PM8/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Some of the documents are suggesting that this happens when you try to append something to doucment.body via the dom from a script that is not part of the body. The only place we might do that is:

    add_script: function(scriptURL) {

var scriptTag = document.createElement("script");
scriptTag.type = "text/javascript";
scriptTag.src = scriptURL;
Recaptcha.get_script_area().appendChild(scriptTag);
},

get_script_area: function() {
var parentElement = document.getElementsByTagName("head");
if (!parentElement || parentElement.length < 1) {
parentElement = document.body ;
}
else {
parentElement = parentElement[0];
}
return parentElement;
},

It looks like your document has a head element, but maybe the xmlns is throwing IE off? What happens if you remove the xmlns from the doucment? I wonder what else might cause this path not to work.

reCAPTCHA Support

Aug 10, 2007, 2:49:55 PM8/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Btw, we found that commenting out mootools fixes this issue.

reCAPTCHA Support

Aug 10, 2007, 4:24:46 PM8/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
It's the lightbox code that is causing this issue. We're not sure why the problem is happening though.

Jody+

Aug 19, 2007, 12:32:36 AM8/19/07
to reCAPTCHA
Thanks... lightbox isn't working correctly anyway... if I disable it,
recaptcha should work? I'll give it a try.

On Aug 10, 3:24 pm, "reCAPTCHA Support" <supp...@recaptcha.net> wrote:
> It's the lightbox code that is causing this issue. We're not sure why the
> problem is happening though.
>

> On 8/10/07, reCAPTCHA Support <supp...@recaptcha.net> wrote:
>

> > Btw, we found that commenting out mootools fixes this issue.
>

> > On 8/10/07, reCAPTCHA Support <supp...@recaptcha.net > wrote:
>
> > > Some of the documents are suggesting that this happens when you try to
> > > append something to doucment.body via the dom from a script that is not
> > > part of the body. The only place we might do that is:
>
> > > add_script: function(scriptURL) {
>
> > > var scriptTag = document.createElement("script");
>
> > > scriptTag.type = "text/javascript";
> > > scriptTag.src = scriptURL;
> > > Recaptcha.get_script_area().appendChild(scriptTag);
>
> > > },
>
> > > get_script_area: function() {
> > > var parentElement =
> > > document.getElementsByTagName("head");
> > > if (!parentElement || parentElement.length < 1) {
> > > parentElement = document.body
> > > ;
> > > }
> > > else {
> > > parentElement = parentElement[0];
>
> > > }
> > > return parentElement;
> > > },
>
> > > It looks like your document has a head element, but maybe the xmlns is
> > > throwing IE off? What happens if you remove the xmlns from the doucment? I
> > > wonder what else might cause this path not to work.

reCAPTCHA Support

Aug 20, 2007, 3:43:50 PM8/20/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think that's the case.

Alex King

Sep 6, 2007, 1:36:38 AM9/6/07
to reCAPTCHA
I've run into the same issue, and while I've of course had to disable
reCAPTCHA on the live site I have set up a test page that demonstrates
the error for you to use in addressing this issue.

http://myfreebusy.com/recaptcha.html

The live page is here:

http://alex.myfreebusy.com/

Thanks, I look forward to being able to use reCAPTCHA once this issue
is addressed. Let me know if I can be of additional help.

Cheers,
--Alex King

http://alexking.org | http://crowdfavorite.com

Alex King

Sep 10, 2007, 11:24:28 AM9/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
Hello reCAPTCHA support - is this something that is being looked into
for a resolution? Or should I look for an alternate solution?

Thanks,
--Alex

reCAPTCHA Support

Sep 10, 2007, 1:31:34 PM9/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We've yet to find out what's causing this bad interaction. Once the interaction is found, the process of uploading a fix should be relatively quick. It would speed up the process if you'd like to do an investigation of your own.

Alex King

Sep 10, 2007, 3:10:13 PM9/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
I spent about 8 hours on this working through my own JS code before
realizing the issue was in the reCAPTCHA code. All of the "Operation
aborted." information I found online had to do with JS interacting
with tables before the page had fully loaded. reCAPTCHA's HTML seems
to include tables, so that might be where the problem lies.

As I mentioned above, removing reCAPTCHA eliminated the error.

Hope this helps,
--Alex

On Sep 10, 11:31 am, "reCAPTCHA Support" <supp...@recaptcha.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've yet to find out what's causing this bad interaction. Once the
> interaction is found, the process of uploading a fix should be relatively
> quick. It would speed up the process if you'd like to do an investigation of
> your own.

Alex King

Sep 10, 2007, 3:14:18 PM9/10/07
to reCAPTCHA
Also, if you'd like me to install a debug or alternate version of
reCAPTCHA on my server for testing, I'd be happy to.

--Alex

reCAPTCHA Support

Sep 10, 2007, 4:56:16 PM9/10/07
to reca...@googlegroups.com
This is not just a reCAPTCHA issue. The problem is an interaction with reCAPTCHA and some javascript tricks that a few JS libraries use. These libraries make changes to the JS environment that can break applications.

You might try using the reCAPTCHA ajax API. This will add the CAPTCHA to the page after it is loaded, which may avoid some of the issues. (see the "AJAX" portion of http://recaptcha.net/apidocs/captcha/).