TS-Aligner

Rod Upfold

Aug 28, 2003, 3:08:29 PM8/28/03
Just recieved the TS-Aligner Lite yesterday.
I was very impressed by quality of the machine tool and was a bit
discouraged by just how far my saw alignment was out.
The TS-Aligner will certainly help me get into alignment.

The price of the aligner was $69.00 US....

Now for the Canadian depressing price.

By the dollar exchange, postage rates and the duty at the boarder -
$140 Canadian. Good thing I am buying the tool in two steps.

Next week I will order the upgrade and there goes another $140.00
canadian.

I wonder if I get the storage case with the upgrade - I sure hope so.

Bye

Rod

Steve

Aug 28, 2003, 3:34:36 PM8/28/03

"Rod Upfold" <l...@baffin.com> wrote in message

Out of curiosity, why is there duty? I thought NAFTA was supposed to do
away with all that.

Traves W. Coppock

Aug 28, 2003, 4:57:28 PM8/28/03
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:34:36 GMT, "Steve" <webste...@yahoo.com>
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

>Out of curiosity, why is there duty? I thought NAFTA was supposed to do
>away with all that.

amen to that.
i received a gift from an friend in CA, and ended up some customs
broker wanted 60$ US for some damn NAFTA fees, bonding, and some other
mindless drivel for having it cross the border!

let me just say, they have never gotten any money from me, had one
nasty gram from them, and one phone call.
this was a canadian company with offices here in the US.
i told them to take it up with the american consolit...lol

Pay for a gift indeed.
Traves

Rod Upfold

Aug 28, 2003, 5:02:49 PM8/28/03
I am from a border city and I thought that I knew the rules of
importation.

What I thought the rule was...If it's made in the states - its duty
free. The person where I picked it up said "thats the way it is" when
I asked her what the $20..00 charge and she told me that it was duty
and thats the way customs dose it (she had a lack of knowledge or just
didn't care).

Rod

CW

Aug 28, 2003, 6:24:25 PM8/28/03
That's only for businesses.
"Steve" <webste...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

K.-Benoit Evans

Aug 28, 2003, 7:53:12 PM8/28/03
In article <8tqskvk0vkn7iuiln...@4ax.com>,

Traves W. Coppock <newsg...@farmvalleywoodworks.com> wrote:

> i received a gift from an friend in CA, and ended up some customs
> broker wanted 60$ US for some damn NAFTA fees, bonding, and some other
> mindless drivel for having it cross the border!

Brokerage fees have absolutely NOTHING to do with customs duties and
taxes imposed by the government in the receiving country.

If you were an importer, you would choose your own customs broker and
your goods would be delivered to his bonded warehouse where he would
prepare all the paperwork and ensure that all legal requirements had
been met. Then, when the goods were released by the government's
custom's officer, your broker would send you goods to you. If you
decided that the fees charged for brokerage were not to your liking, you
could engage another broker. Any customs duties or taxes are, of course,
non-negotiable and remitted by the broker to the government on your
behalf.

When your or I order a tool or other item, it is shipped using the
sender's post office or an international courier firm, like UPS or FedEx.
In that case, you don't get any choice, the shipper's foreign agent (or
foreign subsidiary) automatically acts as your customs broker.

When I have things sent from the U.S. to Canada, and I don't have to
have the item within less than a week and the item is not too large, I
ask for it to be sent using the US Postal Service. When it is received
by Canada Post, the mailman delivers my parcel and collects the custom
duties (usually there are none), the local sales tax and Canada Post's
fee for acting as my broker to type up the paperwork and get my parcel
cleared by customs. Canada Post charges a flat fee of five dollars.

When postal delivery is not practical, I ask for FedEx or DHL because
they is just as fast and reliable as UPS and the brokerage fee, while
higher than the five dollars charged by Canada Post is still reasonable.

I advise all companies I deal with that I will NOT accept delivery by
UPS. They are leaches. They charge a huge brokerage fee no matter what
you receive. For a single small item, the fee is often as much as the
price of the item.

--
Regards,

Benoit Evans

Dave Balderstone

Aug 28, 2003, 8:48:39 PM8/28/03
In article <kevans-317DCC....@news.videotron.net>, K.-Benoit
Evans <kev...@videotron.ca> wrote:

> When I have things sent from the U.S. to Canada, and I don't have to
> have the item within less than a week and the item is not too large, I
> ask for it to be sent using the US Postal Service. When it is received
> by Canada Post, the mailman delivers my parcel and collects the custom
> duties (usually there are none), the local sales tax and Canada Post's
> fee for acting as my broker to type up the paperwork and get my parcel
> cleared by customs. Canada Post charges a flat fee of five dollars.
>
> When postal delivery is not practical, I ask for FedEx or DHL because
> they is just as fast and reliable as UPS and the brokerage fee, while
> higher than the five dollars charged by Canada Post is still reasonable.
>
> I advise all companies I deal with that I will NOT accept delivery by
> UPS. They are leaches. They charge a huge brokerage fee no matter what
> you receive. For a single small item, the fee is often as much as the
> price of the item.

I agree with your assessment entirely. It mirrors my experience
bringing items into Canada from the USA.

djb

--
"I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right." -- Muhammad
Ali

Larry Jaques

Aug 29, 2003, 12:46:05 AM8/29/03
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:53:12 -0400, "K.-Benoit Evans"
<kev...@videotron.ca> pixelated:

>I advise all companies I deal with that I will NOT accept delivery by
>UPS. They are leaches. They charge a huge brokerage fee no matter what
>you receive. For a single small item, the fee is often as much as the
>price of the item.

Even if the value is one penny, the UPS customs fee is $35.
Uckfay Emthay! Anything I send to CA goes as a sample via
USPS, NEVER UPS. What burns me is that USPS just gave
themselves a giant raise like the one which ruined UPS
a couple years ago. Where' Scotty and his transporter
when you need him, eh, laddie?

A client wanted me to overnight one of my NoteSHADEs
(laptop glare guard) to him last week via. UPS got $26.14
for a 4 ounce product, a 5 ounce (with UPS Overnight Letter
envelope) package. Un freakin' real.

- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!

mp

Aug 29, 2003, 1:02:51 AM8/29/03
> Out of curiosity, why is there duty? I thought NAFTA was supposed to do
> away with all that.

I doubt if there was any duty. I get a lot of items from the US, and I can't
remember the last time I had to pay duty, regardless of the country of
origin. There's usually a brokerage fee involved, plus GST plus provincial
sales tax. Canada Post charges a flat $5 fee for brokerage, FedEx air
charges $7, and UPS charges as much as they can get away with and then some.
UPS should be avoided by anyone bringing goods into Canada unless you plan
to do your own brokerage. In fact, with UPS brokerage rates factored in it's
often less expensive to ship FedEx air than it is to ship UPS ground.

G.E.R.R.Y.

Aug 29, 2003, 2:25:53 AM8/29/03

I checked with Revenue Canada (aka Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
on a dispute with UPS (who else?) and there is NO customs on incoming
items. There are only GST and PST.

I am going to try and charge UPS with fraud on behalf of my cousin who
was visiting from England and who, while I was working, paid UPS's $29
brokerage fee on a $35 item. The driver told her it was for customs
duties and gave her a "now or never" ultimatum on the delivery.

Gerry < wishing there was a class-action suit to join >

Unisaw A100

Aug 29, 2003, 4:46:49 AM8/29/03
Rod Upfold wrote:
>I was very impressed by quality of the machine tool and was a bit
>discouraged by just how far my saw alignment was out.
>The TS-Aligner will certainly help me get into alignment.

While everyone else is off debating the Canada/US $$$ thing
I have to wonder, you think a lot of people are
discouraged/put off buying a TS Aligner onna 'count of they
really don't want to know how bad things are with their
machines?

>I wonder if I get the storage case with the upgrade - I sure hope so.

I do believe that to be correct.

UA100

Alan McClure

Aug 29, 2003, 11:48:14 AM8/29/03

"Traves W. Coppock" wrote:

Sounds like your friend sent it by UPS. I've heard that there is a
huge difference is fees between using regular mail or FedEx and
using UPS. YMMV

ARM

Igor

Aug 29, 2003, 2:41:52 PM8/29/03
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:08:29 -0400, Rod Upfold <l...@baffin.com> wrote:

>Just recieved the TS-Aligner Lite yesterday.
>I was very impressed by quality of the machine tool and was a bit
>discouraged by just how far my saw alignment was out.
>The TS-Aligner will certainly help me get into alignment.
>
>The price of the aligner was $69.00 US....

[snip]

This looks like a very good piece of equipment. I even considered buying
it. That being said, I took my inexpensive Grizzly dial gauge (which I am
using for many things), screwed it to a piece of wood, and clamped the wood
to my miter gauge on my new DeWalt TS. I then ran the miter gauge back and
forth in the slot while watching the dial gauge; made adjustments to the
fence, and then tested again. I cannot say for sure, but I think it helped
me set my saw up the way it should be. To the extent that a miter gauge
might not be tight in the slot, just apply pressure to it towards (or away)
from the direction of the fence whenever you measure.

It is great to have the right tool, certainly when doing something as basic
and important as the squaring of a TS. However, I think that equivalent
results can be had for much less than the price of the TS-Aligner devices.
-- Igor

Luigi Zanasi

Aug 29, 2003, 2:34:18 PM8/29/03
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:48:39 GMT, Dave Balderstone
<dave***@balderstone.ca> scribbled

USPS and Canada Post are it for me too. Canada Post charged me $5.00
and the 7% GST on the Knight plane Steve recently sent me.

Even within Canada, IME (having lived in the Maritimes, Newfoundland
and the Yukon in the last 18 years), Canada Post is more reliable and
usually faster and cheaper than any private courier. I can relate a
number of horror stories about private couriers, but not a single one
from Canada Post, even though I use it more often than any other
service.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address

Traves W. Coppock

Aug 30, 2003, 4:43:54 AM8/30/03
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:48:14 -0400, Alan McClure <mccl...@gwis.com>

Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

>Sounds like your friend sent it by UPS. I've heard that there is a
>huge difference is fees between using regular mail or FedEx and
>using UPS. YMMV
>
>ARM

he sent it on some freight company,,,dont know which one, don't
matter,
i still have my money...