PARAPLY anyone ?

Martin Schuessler

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95

Our local Home Depot is selling plywood called "Paraply". It's resembles
Baltic Birch in some ways - 1/2" is made up of 9 layers, alternating Thin
(~ 1/16") and thick (~3/32"). I've included the top and bottom veneers
in the count.

The face veneer doesn't resemble anything I know how to identify, which isn't
saying much. The guy at Home Cheapo said it's some sort of tropical species,
the name of which I can't remember (he sounded like he made it up anyway).
Neither the Hardwood plywood association nor the APA know anyhting about it.
It's a very hard wood from what I can tell.

Anyone know anything about this stuff ? It's only $29 for a 4x8 sheet 3/4"
thick.

Martin

Roger Bates

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95

I've used both the 3/4" and 1/4" thicknesses of this stuff and found it to
be an excellent grade of plywood. It's flat and smoothly finished with
relatively few voids and at $29/sheet is a good buy. I don't know how
well it stains but it paints beautifully.

But like you, Martin, I haven't a clue what the face veneer is nor have I
seen it at any other lumber house.

Please post if you have more info.
--
Rog
Huntsville

Victor Kan

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
In article <3p8cvt$p...@amdint.amd.com> mar...@dvorak.amd.com (Martin Schuessler) writes:

Martin> Our local Home Depot is selling plywood called "Paraply". It's
Martin> resembles Baltic Birch in some ways - 1/2" is made up of 9
Martin> layers, alternating Thin (~ 1/16") and thick (~3/32"). I've
Martin> included the top and bottom veneers in the count.

I believe I bought one such sheet (but for like $32, not $29) at Home
Depot a few weeks back. If it's the same stuff, it's Guatambu (aka
Pau Marfim according to _The Encyclopedia of Wood_), and I think it
comes from Paraguay or Brazil. It's supposed to be comparable to
maple in qualities. The face was pretty clean, but with a few, narrow
filled areas upon closer inspection, and the edge looks pretty much
void free.

I bought a thinner sheet that looked fine on the outside, but after
cutting it, there was a pretty long void, all along the cut. Perhaps
this was caused by my clumsiness? I don't know.

Martin> The face veneer doesn't resemble anything I know how to
Martin> identify, which isn't saying much. The guy at Home Cheapo said
Martin> it's some sort of tropical species, the name of which I can't
Martin> remember (he sounded like he made it up anyway). Neither the
Martin> Hardwood plywood association nor the APA know anyhting about
Martin> it. It's a very hard wood from what I can tell.

Martin> Anyone know anything about this stuff ? It's only $29 for a
Martin> 4x8 sheet 3/4" thick.

Martin> Martin

--
Victor Kan k...@kanly.rtp.nc.us