Removing Silicone in wood

Peter Hennigan

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

I am about to refinish my kitchen table after years of abuse from
kids and aerosol furniture polish. I remember the furniture guys
gave the name of something to rub on the stripped wood to eliminate
the effects of silicone that gets into the wood and causes the
new stain to bead and not take. I cannot remember what it was.
Can anyone shed some light on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

-Pete
phen...@notes.cc.bellcore.com

Craig1708

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

NOTHING will remove silicone from the wood....not solvent (it just drives
it deeper into the wood)....no amount of sanding. What can be done is
attempt to seal the wood with something like shellac to lessen the fisheye
effect. French polishing works well.

Craig Deller
The Deller Conservation Group Ltd
Geneva, Illinois
USA
crai...@aol.com "Conservators make it last longer"
http://home.aol.com/DELLERCON

rsekeris

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Peter Hennigan wrote:

> I am about to refinish my kitchen table after years of abuse from
> kids and aerosol furniture polish. I remember the furniture guys
> gave the name of something to rub on the stripped wood to eliminate
> the effects of silicone that gets into the wood and causes the
> new stain to bead and not take. I cannot remember what it was.
> Can anyone shed some light on the subject.

One method, Peter, is to actually *add* silicone to your finish coats.
Most pro paint suppliers will be able to help you with that compound; it
is very thin and mixes like thinners. We refer to them as 'fish-eye
eliminators'.

Rob Sekeris