Favorite (Best) Woodworking Books?

lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA

John K. Likes

Jeff Joslin

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

In article <8552309...@dejanews.com>, lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil
wrote:

>I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
>books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA

Shop and Tools
==============
The Workbench Book, by Scott Landis
The Workshop Book, by Scott Landis
The Landis books are the definitive references of their genre. The pages will
be drool-spotted in no time.
The Bandsaw Book, by Mark Duginske
Only if you have a bandsaw, of course. If you're planning to buy one, get the
book first. There are other books for other tools, but the bandsaw is
arguably
the tool where you'll need the most help getting fine-tuned.
The Complete Book of Sharpening, by Leonard Lee
Objective, experimentally verified information about sharpening. The
explanations
will appeal especially to those with engineering/technical backgrounds.
Understanding Wood Finishing, by Bob Flexner
The basic facts on wood finishes. Flexner cuts through a lot of guff, and
although this book isn't perfect, it's the best available.

Wood
====
Identifying Wood, by Bruce Hoadley
Understanding Wood, by Bruce Hoadley
The books are compulsory references. If you can only afford one, get the
first one.

Design and Technique
====================
A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, by James Krenov
The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, by James Krenov
The Impractical Cabinetmaker, by James Krenov
James Krenov Worker in Wood, by James Krenov
Buy one of the Krenov books and see if you like it. I didn't, until I
had more
experience and started to understand what he was talking about. Some
people just
don't like his aesthetic sensibilities, because it's not at all
traditional. But
these books have had a bigger influence on me than almost any other.

There should be othe design books on the list, but there aren't any others
I've read that I've really liked.

One other comment - all these books are large-format books with color photos.
They're not cheap, but somehow I find myself referring to these more than
any other.5

Jeff

--
Jeff Joslin All opinions mine.

Douglas Rhodes

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Jeff Joslin wrote:

> In article <8552309...@dejanews.com>, lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil
> wrote:
>
> >I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
> >books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA
>

> Identifying Wood, by Bruce Hoadley

> Understanding Wood, by Bruce Hoadley

> A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, by James Krenov

> The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, by James Krenov
> The Impractical Cabinetmaker, by James Krenov
> James Krenov Worker in Wood, by James Krenov

I agree with the above titles. Krenov's book are awesome, but
not for a beginner, perhaps.

I would recommend "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John Feirer.
A good, complete reference book that covers all the basics in
some detail. It is written like a course book.

Doug Rhodes

John Hofstad-Parkhill

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Second the notion on

The Workbench Book
The Toolbox Book

Also

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, Vols I & II
Excellent reference - especially for joinery

Carpentry & Building Construction

Woodworking: The Right Technique

Hoadley's Understanding Wood
is not bad and you might find out a couple of things

Identifying Wood
Often mentioned, I have it, and find it completely useless. It's largely a
collection of microscopic photographs. I have a microscope - a good one,
as well as a couple of very good magnifying lenses. I took wood I already
knew the species of, followed the trail and got lost. Yes, completely
worthless.

Better is something like the Good Wood handbook, lots of actual pictures
of wood.

<8552309...@dejanews.com>...

> I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
> books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA

John Cotterill

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Krenov's books are good, but not for a beginner. My beginner's set
would include:

Understanding Wood Bruce Hoadley
Mastering Woodworking Machines Mark Duginske
Working With Wood Peter Korn
Understanding Wood Finishing Bob Flexner

I agree also that "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by Feirer is a good
reference textbook.

JC

Carl Muhlhausen

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

In article <jjoslin-ya0240800...@carnews0.bnr.ca>,
>>I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
>>books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA

Good list snipped:

I'd add

"Tuning Restoring and Using Classic Woodworking Tools" by Mike DUnbar
(I may not have the title right, but this is a great book that will
make you itch to explore the enlightened path of handtools.)

Tage Frid's Woodworking Series Vol 1 and II. (havent't read the
others)

Bob Moran's "Woodworking the Right Technique" has multiple
techniques for the majority of woodworking tasks.

Carl

--
Carl W. Muhlhausen led...@elmo.lz.att.com
Rm. 1B-115L (908)-576-3052

Mort Tenon

Feb 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/8/97
says...

>I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
>books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA
>
>John K. Likes

There are a lot of different reasons for working wood. Some people want to
perfect a skill, others want to be able to make something to be proud of,
still others like to collect the tools and know how to use them.

One book I frequently refer to is "Building Fine Furniture" by G. William
Scherer. Scherer is a former shop teacher who writes under the assumption
that his reader doesn't have the specialized tools or skills of a furniture
factory, but wants to produce something attractive and functional. "Fine
furniture" is a misnomer to any purist because he gives alternatives to
age-old joinery. Modern glues and hardware make it possible to do things
than a woodworking layman of other centuries couldn't do and Scherer
outlines those possibilities very well.

The book isn't for everyone. He shows how to make nice utilitarian
furnishings and, yes, he cuts corners. The results, however, are impressive.
Even a weekend woodworker with a little experience cutting straight lines
and without the resources Russ Morash gives Norm can produce something his
wife would allow in the living room. The fact that those pieces are unlikely
to end up a collector's item in a century doesn't bother me much.

the Woodshop Notebook
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8108

cd...@erols.com

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

In article <32FAAF...@webspan.net>,
do...@webspan.net wrote:

> Jeff Joslin wrote:
> >
> > In article <8552309...@dejanews.com>, lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
> > >books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA

"The Table Saw Book," Kelly Mehler, Taunton Press. Bought the book,
started ripping some fine Home Depot 5/4 pine, the first board opened up
from being improperly stored, jammed against the fence. Kelly's
recomendation for a "half fence" adaptor saved the day in the five
minutes it took me to fab one. $25.00, paid for itself immediately.

Kelly places a greater emphasis on safe setup than I've seen elsewhere.
No jigs or fixtures without some sort of well thought out guard. What're
your fingers and hands worth compared to the measly price of this book?

Terry Clark

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

In article <5dfmla$c...@newsb.netnews.att.com>, led...@elmo.lz.att.com
(Carl Muhlhausen) wrote:

>In article <jjoslin-ya0240800...@carnews0.bnr.ca>,

>Jeff Joslin <jjo...@nortel.ca> wrote:
>>In article <8552309...@dejanews.com>, lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
>>>books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA
>>

>Good list snipped:
>
>I'd add
>
>"Tuning Restoring and Using Classic Woodworking Tools" by Mike DUnbar
>(I may not have the title right, but this is a great book that will
>make you itch to explore the enlightened path of handtools.)
>
>Tage Frid's Woodworking Series Vol 1 and II. (havent't read the
>others)
>
>Bob Moran's "Woodworking the Right Technique" has multiple
>techniques for the majority of woodworking tasks.
>
>Carl

And I added:

I agree with the Tage Frid's selections - very good stuff
Leonard Lee's "Complete Book of Sharpening" - your going to need it!
Bob Flexner's "Finishing Wood" (this title may not be quite right and the
book is at work) will take a lot of the mystery out of finishing.
Bob Hoages "Understanding Wood" has a lot of information on the way wood
looks and behaves, but probably not a book for the first time purchases.
If your using a router I'd get the Woodworking with the Router from Rodale
press.

--
Terry Clark PA-C | "The ENIAC was a Son of a Bitch
lo...@earthlink.net | to program."

vanguar...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2014, 7:09:14 PM12/13/14
El jueves, 6 de febrero de 1997 03:30:00 UTC-4:30, Douglas Rhodes escribió:
> Jeff Joslin wrote:
> >
> > In article <8552309...@dejanews.com>, lik...@heidelberg-emh2.army.mil
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I would like to begin compiling a small (10 - 15) library of woodworking
> > >books. I would appreciate any suggestions from the group. TIA
> >

> > Identifying Wood, by Bruce Hoadley
> > Understanding Wood, by Bruce Hoadley
>
> > A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, by James Krenov
> > The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, by James Krenov
> > The Impractical Cabinetmaker, by James Krenov
> > James Krenov Worker in Wood, by James Krenov
>
> I agree with the above titles. Krenov's book are awesome, but
> not for a beginner, perhaps.
>
> I would recommend "Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John Feirer.
> A good, complete reference book that covers all the basics in
> some detail. It is written like a course book.
>
> Doug Rhodes

I recommend Ted Wood's Woodworking has a lot of diagrams and plans.
Information here:
http://bit.ly/1zldsjW