PBA sailnumbers ?

Wilhelm Eickhoff

Dec 6, 1994, 3:23:29 AM12/6/94

Can anyone enlighten me as to what letters stand for what
country in the PBA worldcup ?
I figured out the obvious ones like US, F, K, E, S, G, I
and KA. As for the rest ????
Thanks
Bill from Oz

Marcus Hooper

Dec 6, 1994, 12:31:56 PM12/6/94

Hey Bill,
off the top of my head, some of the codes are:
F - France
I - Italy
E - Spain
G - Germany
US - USA
K - England (K? usually identifies commonwealth countries)
KA - Australia
KB - Barbados
KC - Canada (now changed to CAN, don't ask me why)
KZ - New Zealand

I don't have my sailing handbook with me right now... Any one want to
continue?

Marcus Hooper (KC-13)

* Marcus Hooper -- KC-13 * Registrar - National Capital FreeNet *
* bm...@freenet.carleton.ca * Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. *

Stig Johansen

Dec 7, 1994, 3:40:29 AM12/7/94
Some more letters:

N - Norway
S - Sweden
L - Finland
OE - Austria
D - Denmark
B - Belgium
GR - Greece
IR - Irland
H - Holland
Z - Switserland
PZ - Poland

In article <D0EGp...@freenet.carleton.ca>, bm...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Marcus Hooper) writes:
|> In a previous posting, Wilhelm Eickhoff (wilh...@hotel.uws.edu.au) writes:
|> > Can anyone enlighten me as to what letters stand for what
|> > country in the PBA worldcup ?

[...]

|> > Bill from Oz
|>
|> Hey Bill,
|> off the top of my head, some of the codes are:
|> F - France
|> I - Italy
|> E - Spain
|> G - Germany
|> US - USA
|> K - England (K? usually identifies commonwealth countries)
|> KA - Australia
|> KB - Barbados
|> KC - Canada (now changed to CAN, don't ask me why)
|> KZ - New Zealand
|>

|> Marcus Hooper (KC-13)

(N-16) Arctic Surf Bums:-)
--
//// Stig Johansen, research assistant // Email: st...@cs.uit.no /
/// Computer Science Department // Phone : +47 776 44121 //

Paul Walmsley

Dec 7, 1994, 7:34:44 AM12/7/94
Marcus Hooper writes:

>> K - England (K? usually identifies commonwealth countries)

^ Changed to GBR, probably the other K? ones have changed as
well. Anyone know the details ?

Paul

Micky Balladelli

Dec 7, 1994, 9:21:31 AM12/7/94
Where do you get your number? Do you just pick a number hoping
that nobody has it (I doubt it), or do you ask the PBA or some other
association (maybe country specific)?

Micky

Dave Cheeseman

Dec 7, 1994, 10:25:04 AM12/7/94
The IOC did try to change K to GBR, and some classes have adopted it.
However the decision was based on (a) single competitor competition, where
each sailor only had a three char identifier, and (b) yachting classes ,
where you have several acres (:-) of sail to put the numbers. Try putting
GBR834 on a 6 metre sail! Or worse, GBR7824 (my old RYA number)!! Most
"sensible" sailing associations accept K or GBR, and hopefully the
windsurfing world as a whole will go back to the 1/2 char format.

IMHO, of course :-)

--
Dave Cheeseman, Tel: +44 1908 234990 x200
VMARK Software Ltd., Fax: +44 1908 234992

Dave Eaton

Dec 7, 1994, 3:46:49 PM12/7/94
In article <PJW.94De...@calvay.dcs.ed.ac.uk>,

Canada is now "CAN" in the Olympics, but I believe we are still using KC
for other areas.

Dave Eaton
Snowbound Toronto

pap...@fri.cri.nz

Dec 7, 1994, 2:43:38 PM12/7/94
In article <D0EGp...@freenet.carleton.ca>, bm...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Marcus Hooper) writes:
> In a previous posting, Wilhelm Eickhoff (wilh...@hotel.uws.edu.au) writes:
>> Can anyone enlighten me as to what letters stand for what
>> country in the PBA worldcup ?
>> I figured out the obvious ones like US, F, K, E, S, G, I
>> and KA. As for the rest ????
>> Thanks
>> Bill from Oz
>
> Hey Bill,
> off the top of my head, some of the codes are:
> F - France
> I - Italy
> E - Spain
> G - Germany
> US - USA
> K - England (K? usually identifies commonwealth countries)
> KA - Australia
> KB - Barbados
> KC - Canada (now changed to CAN, don't ask me why)
> KZ - New Zealand
>
> I don't have my sailing handbook with me right now... Any one want to
> continue?

Except I gather that international yachting has now moved to three letter codes,
so KC --> CAN, KA --> AUS, KZ --> NZL, and US is probably now USA. I imagine
the PBA will follow suit, certainly Olympic class boardsailing has.

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Simon Papps | "New Zealanders call themselves Kiwis
pap...@fri.cri.nz | after the fruit....."
NZ Forest Research Institute, |
Rotorua | (Good Morning America)
New Zealand |

Marcus Hooper

Dec 7, 1994, 7:49:32 PM12/7/94

Hey Mickey, it's not that easy. These numbers aren't assigned by the PBA. A
much *larger* bureaucratical mess regulates the numbers, called the IYRU.
Not just windsurfers are troubled by these whims to make sailing easier to
watch.
Some of my friends have been having tonnes fun with numbers like CAN-8016,
really easy to fit on a 4.2! I'm just waiting for the IYRU, in their
infinite wisdom, to change my number from CAN-13 to CANADA-13.

* Marcus Hooper - Registrar * bm...@freenet.carleton.ca * _/\_ *
* National Capital FreeNet * or * _/\\ //\_ *
* * mho...@freenet.fsu.edu * > < *
* Carleton University * * >__ __< *
* Ottawa, Ontario, Canada * Office: 613-788-3947 * || *

Stig Johansen

Dec 8, 1994, 4:20:08 AM12/8/94
In article <dwc-071294...@mk118.vmark.co.uk>, d...@vmark.co.uk (Dave Cheeseman) writes:
|> The IOC did try to change K to GBR, and some classes have adopted it.
|> However the decision was based on (a) single competitor competition, where
|> each sailor only had a three char identifier, and (b) yachting classes ,
|> where you have several acres (:-) of sail to put the numbers. Try putting
|> GBR834 on a 6 metre sail! Or worse, GBR7824 (my old RYA number)!! Most
|> "sensible" sailing associations accept K or GBR, and hopefully the
|> windsurfing world as a whole will go back to the 1/2 char format.
|>
|> IMHO, of course :-)

In the International rule book of IYRU 1993-1996 they have changed all national
codes to three letters, se appendix B3, page 77-79. Sails older than february
1993 could still use the old codes for the 1993 season, if I remember correct.
IFCA (the fun people) usually follow IYRU on such matters, but after much
protesting IYRU cancelled the whole thing and went back to the old codes for
windsurfing. The boat people and Mistral One-design use the new codes.

All IFCA regattas use the old codes: all our national fun regattas, the
European Championship, the World Championship, and the PBA regattas.

Have a nice day!

Jeremy Johnson

Dec 8, 1994, 5:27:38 AM12/8/94
> K -> GBR: I believe this was rapidly made 'optional' (at least here in
the UK) after competitors pointed out that renumbering the average quiver
would cost a small fortune in sailnumbers alone. Dumb idea to start with.

> sailnumbers: As I understand it, many well-known sailors are using
numbers they simply chose, (rather than being issued them by any sort of
organization). Once established, I would guess it's difficult to
challenge - for example, I can't imagine the official owner of K66 getting
very far if he or she demanded Nik Baker start using some other number.

Right - enough computers - it's blowing a hooley out there. I'm off...

--
Jeremy

Trevor Pretty - SolNet Technologies - Sun NZ ISO

Dec 12, 1994, 7:38:41 PM12/12/94

Yep I know NZ and think these are right

K -> GBR
KZ -> NZL (New Zealand)
KA -> AUS (Austrailia)
KH -> HNK (Hong Kong - very unsure about this)

>From Micky Balladelli <balla...@crime.enet.dec.com> ()
>Newsgroups: rec.windsurfing
>Subject: Re: PBA sailnumbers ?
>Date: 7 Dec 1994 14:21:31 GMT

>Where do you get your number? Do you just pick a number hoping
>that nobody has it (I doubt it), or do you ask the PBA or some other
>association (maybe country specific)?
>
>Micky

NO you don't just pick one (althought some pros have)

In the UK you can get them from the RYA (Royal Yatvhing Assoc.) UKBSA (UK Board Sailing
Assoc.) and BFA (British Funboard Assoc.) the BFA and UKBSA have reserved bolcks
of number from the RYA which goven ALL UK sail numbers on all craft.

Down here in NZ it is the NZWA you pay $5/year and they get reallocated each yaer
if you don't pay.

In the UK it is you number for life.

So guess where I come from and which number I use?

Regards Trevor Pretty / \
(System Engineer) / |
/ GBR 7606 |
For and on Behalf of / |
Sun Microsystem (NZ) Ltd. / |
SolNet Technologies Ltd. / |
Sun House / 0 |
Level 5 /-----/----- |
47 Wakefield St. / \_/_/ /
Auckland, NZ / / /
/_____/_\---
Tel: + 649 356 6800 ________________/___\___
Fax: + 649 356 6810 \______________________/
E-mail tre...@newzealand.sun.com

Dave Cheeseman

Dec 13, 1994, 5:39:13 AM12/13/94
>In the UK it is you number for life.

Actually that depends on who gives you your number. If you get it from the
RYA you either have to remain an RYA member, or pay a small fee to keep
your number (this is their statement; it may not be their practice :-). If
you get it from the UKBSA, they may reallocate it if you don't renew your
membership. If it's a sexy number with 1 or two digits, it WILL GO very
quickly - people actually browse the membership lists to check if those
with desirable numbers let their subs lapse, and then snap up the number!
I don't know about the other bodies.

Many famous UK sailors use numbers they don't actually own. Most of them
are quite big though ;-)