Jerry McEwen

TLC

Dec 19, 2007, 9:36:23 PM12/19/07
Bad News From Nashville TN.
Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.

This is a small part of what was posted in the Local News Paper.

The man fatally stabbed Tuesday night while trying to stop a purse snatcher
has been identified as Jerry McEwen.

Metro police said that McEwen, was stabbed in the chest when he tried to
stop a man who had just stolen a purse from a 60-year-old woman in the
Kroger parking lot at 61 East Thompson Lane.

Police have issued arrest warrants for two people in connection with the
stabbing. Robert Williams, 52, and his presumed girlfriend, Stephanie Lynn
Hudson, are both ex-cons believed to be involved in Tuesday's killing.

florian

Dec 19, 2007, 10:05:31 PM12/19/07
> Bad News From Nashville TN.
> Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.

That's terrible news.
My condolences.

--
florian - NY22

http://www.kasail.com/windsurfing/team/florianfeuser.html

M. Gunn

Dec 19, 2007, 10:05:42 PM12/19/07
in article Xns9A0BD1A5C...@216.77.188.18, TLC at t...@you.net wrote
on 12/19/07 6:36 PM:

This is horrible, heartbreaking news.

mo

Bob T

Dec 19, 2007, 10:59:45 PM12/19/07
Such sad news! Jerry was on of us and he will be sorely missed. Bob T.

tenA

Dec 20, 2007, 2:39:22 AM12/20/07
dang - how horrible, he was always such a gentleman and sweetheart
here, as he was apparently in real life as well - geesh - what a loss
to the planet, thanks for sharing this very sad news; some things just
don't make sense at all, thats for sure.

ran...@aol.com

Dec 20, 2007, 7:34:02 AM12/20/07
I met Jerry once a few years ago. I saw from one the forecasts it
looked like it would be windy in Nashville, and having some spare time
I decided to drive up there. I emailed him and he called me back
right away. He was thrilled to have someone to sail with, and told me
he hadn't sailed with anyone for 3 years. Though he was very under
the weather that day, he still came out and met me at the local lake
in Nashville. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. He even offered
to let me stay in his house overnight, though I decided to drive
back. Such a shame. He will be missed.

Michael

Dec 20, 2007, 10:19:59 AM12/20/07
That hurts. My condolences to his family, friends, and you.

I remember Jerry as a regular recdotter some time ago. I wish I had
met him.

On Dec 19, 9:36 pm, TLC <t...@you.net> wrote:
> Bad News From Nashville TN.
> Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.
>
> This is a small part of what was posted in the Local News Paper.
>
> The man fatally stabbed Tuesday night while trying to stop a purse snatcher
> has been identified as JerryMcEwen.
>

> Metro police said thatMcEwen, was stabbed in the chest when he tried to

The Dog

Dec 20, 2007, 11:38:54 AM12/20/07
On Dec 19, 8:36 pm, TLC <t...@you.net> wrote:
> Bad News From Nashville TN.
> Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.

Awe Shit... I met Jerry down at Bird a bunch of years ago, and we had
stayed in contact over the years. I'm not surprised at all that he
tried to stop a crime. And I'm deeply saddened that he was killed. I
hope the dirt bags who did this rot in Hell.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007712200397

Via con Dios, mi amigo. You will be missed.

Dog

wee...@aol.com

Dec 20, 2007, 5:18:46 PM12/20/07

This is a sad day for sure, right before the holidays. Looking at the
photos of those two pieces of s hit pisses me off that states are
taking away the death penalty. Let's hope these two losers overdose on
heroin and save the tax payers money keeping them roomed and fed for
life.

My prayers go out to Jerry's family.

Glenn Woodell

Dec 20, 2007, 5:21:59 PM12/20/07
This is terrible news indeed. I never knew Jerry but I remember seeing
him on here.

I am terribly sorry to hear of this.

Glenn

windmt...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2007, 5:48:56 PM12/20/07
> Looking at the photos of those two pieces of s hit pisses me off
> that states are taking away the death penalty.

Sure would have been appropriate if that newspaper had published a
picture of Jerry windsurfing on Percy Priest Lake as the main picture
on top.... very sad that the scum bags got all the attention with
those ugly pics.

There's so many things on this planet I just don't understand, this is
one of 'em..... hard to understand why this stuff happens.

My thoughts and prayers go to the family too.

-- Pete

AD.

Dec 20, 2007, 5:58:06 PM12/20/07
On Dec 20, 3:36 pm, TLC <t...@you.net> wrote:
> Bad News From Nashville TN.
> Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.

That's awful news. Even though I only vaguely knew Jerry through his
posts here over the years, this has bummed me out a great deal. I was
just stopping by for a quick catch up on some recdot news after being
absent for a while - not what I was hoping for. My sympathies go out
to everyone that knew him.

--
Anton

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Dec 20, 2007, 7:00:25 PM12/20/07
OH man that's so sad.
Damn it.
Jeff

Jrobb

Dec 20, 2007, 10:05:52 PM12/20/07
Wow, never met him other than behind the keys here but I felt like he
was just one of the other people I greet and see when sailing my
favorite haunts. Gotta say I pictured him differently than the
article made him out. It makes me think twice now...not sure what I'd
have done in his place.

Rip Jerry,

we miss you

The Dog

Dec 21, 2007, 1:03:28 PM12/21/07
Jerry's obit has been posted. The link is below, but I'll copy it
here:

Jerry James McEwen
McEWEN, Jerry James Age 54 years of Nashville, a Good Samaritan, was
taken suddenly, December 18, 2007. Jerry was Church of Christ by
faith, and when he was only 9 years old, told his mother he was ready
to be baptized because he was "ready to start a new life". He was a
professional musician for over 20 years, an avid wind surfer, computer
expert, Community activist, animal lover, professional caregiver and
the owner / creator of coolcats.com.
Preceded in death by his father, Jimmy McEwen; cousin, Mark Spence.
Survived by loving mother, Delores McEwen and sister, Dianne McEwen,
and countless loving family and friends.
A Celebration of Life service is scheduled for Saturday, December 22,
2007 at 12 Noon, from the Serenity Chapel of the Mount Olivet Funeral
Home. Interment will follow in historic Mount Olivet Cemetery. Family
and friends will serve as Pallbearers. In lieu of flowers, donations
can be made to the Nashville Humane Society or the McEwen Memorial
Fund. Visitation with the family will be Friday, from 4-8 p.m. and
Saturday, from 11 a.m. until service time in the Acklen Stateroom of
MOUNT OLIVET FUNERAL HOME & CEMETERY, 1101 Lebanon Road, (615)
255-4193. Online guestbook www.mountolivet.com

http://www.legacy.com/Tennessean/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=99928999

I'm still kind of in a haze about this.

Dog

marc rosen

Dec 21, 2007, 2:07:12 PM12/21/07
On Dec 21, 1:03 pm, The Dog <google_posting_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jerry's obit has been posted.  The link is below, but I'll copy it
> here:
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

> Jerry James McEwen
> McEWEN, Jerry James Age 54 years of Nashville, a Good Samaritan, was
> taken suddenly, December 18, 2007.  Jerry was Church of Christ by
> faith, and when he was only 9 years old, told his mother he was ready
> to be baptized because he was "ready to start a new life". He was a
> professional musician for over 20 years, an avid wind surfer, computer
> expert, Community activist, animal lover, professional caregiver and
> the owner / creator of coolcats.com.
> Preceded in death by his father, Jimmy McEwen; cousin, Mark Spence.
> Survived by loving mother, Delores McEwen and sister, Dianne McEwen,
> and countless loving family and friends.
> A Celebration of Life service is scheduled for Saturday, December 22,
> 2007 at 12 Noon, from the Serenity Chapel of the Mount Olivet Funeral
> Home. Interment will follow in historic Mount Olivet Cemetery. Family
> and friends will serve as Pallbearers. In lieu of flowers, donations
> can be made to the Nashville Humane Society or the McEwen Memorial
> Fund. Visitation with the family will be Friday, from 4-8 p.m. and
> Saturday, from 11 a.m. until service time in the Acklen Stateroom of
> MOUNT OLIVET FUNERAL HOME & CEMETERY, 1101 Lebanon Road, (615)
> 255-4193. Online guestbookwww.mountolivet.com
>
> http://www.legacy.com/Tennessean/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&Person...

> I'm still kind of in a haze about this.
>
> Dog

Thanks for this information Brian,
It has sunk in, but I wish it was a bad dream. Damn, This is a real
difficult thing to accept.

Marc

AngDePriest

Dec 21, 2007, 2:27:15 PM12/21/07
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" - I can't help but think of
the movie Gladiator when I think about Jerry.

He was a friend and a hero. Honor him.

Ang DePriest
www.TheLiterati.net
Website by Jerry McEwen at Cool Cats

JSNTG

Dec 21, 2007, 3:38:19 PM12/21/07
This is very sad. Not only a fellow sailor but musician as well.

"Jerry was a guitar prodigy and plays numerous musical instruments, having
recorded for over two decades with the likes of George Jones, Johnny Cash,
B.B. King, John Prine, John Sebastian, Jack Clement, Crystal Gayle, Tanya
Tucker, Odetta, James Talley, Gove Scrivenor, John Hiatt, Roseanne Cash,
Carlene Carter and many others. He has also had several songs recorded."

http://coolcats.com/Jerry-McEwen-Interview.php

Such a shame.

I makes you wonder what you would do in a case like this. Not knowing Jerry
but knowing his spirit, I bet he would have done it again knowing the
outcome. This guy was beyond Samaritan...he sacrificed himself for an
anonymous stranger. Incredible.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Hugh

rku...@ndak.net

Dec 22, 2007, 10:51:43 AM12/22/07

TLC wrote:
> Bad News From Nashville TN.

Bad news indeed, this is a genuine loss for the World.
Our Prayers

Dan Weiss

Dec 22, 2007, 2:37:22 PM12/22/07

rath...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2007, 3:57:24 PM12/22/07
On Dec 22, 11:37 am, Dan Weiss <dwus...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Dec 19, 9:36 pm, TLC <t...@you.net> wrote:
>

> > Bad News From Nashville TN.
> > Jerry and I had sailed together for over 20 years and was killed yesterday.
>
> > This is a small part of what was posted in the Local News Paper.
>
> > The man fatally stabbed Tuesday night while trying to stop a purse snatcher
so sad to read this... i'm glad the alleged killers have been caught.
a reminder of how fragile life is.

> > has been identified as Jerry McEwen.
>
> > Metro police said that McEwen, was stabbed in the chest when he tried to
> > stop a man who had just stolen a purse from a 60-year-old woman in the
> > Kroger parking lot at 61 East Thompson Lane.
>
> > Police have issued arrest warrants for two people in connection with the
> > stabbing. Robert Williams, 52, and his presumed girlfriend, Stephanie Lynn
> > Hudson, are both ex-cons believed to be involved in Tuesday's killing.
>

> Jerry's alleged killers have been caught by U.S. Marshals:http://www.gulflive.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-18/11...
>
> -Dan

wee...@aol.com

Dec 22, 2007, 5:38:32 PM12/22/07
> Jerry's alleged killers have been caught by U.S. Marshals:http://www.gulflive.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-18/11...
>
> -Dan- Hide quoted text -

Now our tax money has to keep these two pukes alive. I was hoping they
would over dose on bad heroin or something. What a waste when scum
like that can take away a fine person like Jerry.

jeff feehan

Dec 23, 2007, 9:47:04 AM12/23/07

Well, this is unbelievably sad.

Like most on recdot, I never met Jerry, but enjoyed his contributions
here over the years.

jeff

The Dog

Jan 11, 2008, 10:57:23 PM1/11/08
Because Jerry was a good guy and I want to keep a light on the douche
bags responsible for his death, here's a press release from Nashville
PD. I'm not quite as paranoid as the MI-5 guy, but I do intend to
follow the progress of this as closely as I can.

Dog

http://www.police.nashville.gov/news/media/2008/01/03a.htm

January 3, 2008

Murder suspects Robert Williams and Stephanie Hudson, charged in the
December 18th stabbing death of Good Samaritan Jerry McEwen outside
the Thompson Lane Kroger store, are back in Nashville.

Metro officers this afternoon returned the couple from Jackson,
Mississippi, where they were arrested at the home of Williams' sister
on December 20th.

Williams, 52, an ex-convict who was on parole at the time of the
murder, and Hudson, also an ex-convict, are being held in the Metro
Jail without bond.

Jerry McEwen, 54, of Coarsey Drive, was fatally stabbed in the chest
as he attempted to stop Williams, who had just robbed a 60-year-old
woman of her purse in the Kroger parking lot. The robbery victim fell
to the ground during a struggle with Williams, but was not seriously
hurt. Hudson drove Williams away from the scene in her 1991 Ford
Explorer, which was recovered in Mississippi.

The Dog

Jan 11, 2008, 11:03:55 PM1/11/08

trnsprt

Jan 13, 2008, 11:45:30 AM1/13/08
Rest in Peace Jerry,

I'll think of you when the wind picks up on a day when none was
forecast!

TM

Josh.S...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2008, 3:47:53 PM1/23/08
Did anybody have a picture of Jerry? I was going to put a quick note
in the mag.