Fins for SB Carve 123

Tom - Chicago

Sep 13, 2007, 9:56:50 AM9/13/07
I have Carve 123 with stock fin and it really feels sloppy. I am
about 175 to 180 lbs and sail on lake michigan. I use this board with
6.0 to 7.5 M sails - and can't seem to find the right fin for it. Any
advise?

Tom - Chicago

James

Sep 13, 2007, 2:37:18 PM9/13/07
Can you be more specific about what you mean by "sloppy"?

Also, what is your level of ability, what wind strengths are you using
the board in, where do you have the footstraps placed on the board,
and what size is the stock fin?

(PeteCresswell)

Sep 13, 2007, 3:12:05 PM9/13/07
Per Tom - Chicago:

I'm quite a bit heavier at 215#. I found the stock fin unusable
- besides which it hummed mercilessly.

My fin of choice for 7.5 sailing on my 123 is a gSport 46cm
freeride fin. Smaller sails, usually a smaller fin works better
- but sometimes I'll just leave the 46 in there on a 5.5 or 6.0
day just because I'm lazy.... and for the greater ease of water
starting.
--
PeteCresswell

sailquik (Roger Jackson)

Sep 13, 2007, 6:38:04 PM9/13/07

Hi Pete,
Please explain for us how a 46 cm fin (vs the smaller 36-40 cm stock
fin) makes it any easier to waterstart.
I dont see how the size or type of fin has anything at all to do with
waterstarting (as long as the fin is adequately sized for the board
once you are up and planing. A weed fin that extends a long ways
beyond the tail of the board can be somewhat "hazardous" for water
starts, but how does the size make any difference?
When do you use the fin during a waterstart?

(PeteCresswell)

Sep 13, 2007, 7:40:53 PM9/13/07
Per sailquik (Roger Jackson):

>Please explain for us how a 46 cm fin (vs the smaller 36-40 cm stock
>fin) makes it any easier to waterstart.

Geeze, the moment I wrote that, a little voice whispered in my
ear "Yer trolling fer Roger..." -)

Traction. When I water start, I find a choice between pointing
the board more-or-less downwind and not pushing on the fin much -
in which case I make a short run downwind while getting up on the
board; and keeping the board headed relatively upwind and putting
much more pressure on the fin - so that I come out of the water
basically on a close reach.

For Plan A, I'd guess fin size is irrelevant. It's what I use
when running my itty-bitty wave fin on my Carve 144 or Aero 127
at low tide or in the local inlet.

For Plan B, more fin is better - at least at my body weight.

More fin ==> more traction. I know "traction" is the wrong
word....but it's definitely not "lift" because there's little or
no board speed involved. It's more of a barn door effect.
Basically, the tail doesn't go sideways when I catch a sail full
of air and start to get up on the board.
--
PeteCresswell

Bob A.

Sep 14, 2007, 1:27:25 AM9/14/07
Hi Tom,
I have a Carve 121 and I'm 165 pounds. I like the GSport Carve 40 fin for my
7.4 when the wind is marginal. At your weight this fin would probably be
perfect for your 7.5 powered up. For powered up 7.4 or light 6.5 I use a
Finworks FS Pro 14". And for powered up 6.5 I like the GSport Freespeed 34.
All these fins give the board a fast slippery feel, and don't spin out. I'm
kind of a fin fanatic and you probably would not want 3 fins, but if you
want only one fin for your 6.0 - 7.5 sail range I think you may be
handicapping the board's performance at the low and high ends a bit. A two
fin combo of the Carve 40 and Freespeed 34 would cover the board's range
nicely enough I'd think. You could also substitute a Finworks FS Pro 15" for
the Carve 40 if you want to have a gruntier low end fin for your big sail.
It may top out a little in speed versus the Carve 40 but it will get you
planing in lighter winds. And if you did choose this 15" fin then perhaps
the second fin might be the GSport Freespeed 37 instead of the 34--at your
weight you'd probably be fine with the 37 and your 6.0, plus if you have an
in between sail (6.5?) it would mesh well. Hope this helps.
Bob

"Tom - Chicago" <tob...@gmail.com> wrote in message

quadz...@charter.net

Sep 14, 2007, 3:44:23 PM9/14/07

I have a Carve 121 that I have had for a couple of years and had
similar issues with mine. The stock fin was weak and underpowered and
probably too small for the board. I don't have a collection of Tuttle
fins to experiment with nor do I have any friends who have bigger fins
that I could try. So, I decided to get the same fin I have had with my
other boards but in a bigger size. I bought a Finworks FS in a 14" and
it made a huge difference in the overall performance and fun factor of
my 121. Great bite, no spin out and sails great overpowered up. My
primary size sail for my 121 is a 6.5 and on occasion a 7.0 and a 14"
works good for those sizes in powered conditions. I would guess that a
FS in a 15" would work good as well and maybe a bit more power on the
low end. Anyway, this was a good choice for me.

Bob A.

Sep 15, 2007, 1:25:11 PM9/15/07
Just curious, what is your weight?

quadz...@charter.net

Sep 15, 2007, 1:57:30 PM9/15/07
> > low end. Anyway, this was a good choice for me.- Hide quoted text -

I weigh around 200# and I use my 121 about 20% of the time so I am not
that concerned about getting a lot of range out of it so bigger fins
and bigger sails is not in the cards for me. I need a lot of upper
wind range as the board is primarially used when it is gusty so a
typical 121 day for me would be wind in the 15-25 range, 17 or so
average and some lulls and bigger gusts thrown in and the board/fin
works great when things suddenly pick up maybe late in the day and you
just want to finish the day out without re rigging. Thursday was a day
like this, I showed up at our site and the wind was 18-28 and a 22 or
so average. I rigged a 5.4 and was doing quite well on my Kombat 105.
Then the wind started to drop and had to rerig or quit. I rigged my
121 with a 6.5 Hot sails Fluid and was powered decently and fun. Then
the wind came back in the 18-30 range and I was over powered so I came
in and maxed the DH and added some OH and went back out to finish the
session. Most of the others rerigged to 5.0-5.5's and were lit. I was
still OPed but under control. No tail walking, little spinout and but
looking for holes to jibe in. Anyway, survived pretty good instead of
quitting or re rigging late. Works for me

Tom - Chicago

Sep 24, 2007, 3:29:59 PM9/24/07
Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'm now out fin shopping!

Tom - Chicago

bde...@comcast.net

Oct 1, 2007, 8:07:26 AM10/1/07
> > Tom - Chicago- Hide quoted text -

I just found this discussion, and find it interesting.

I've had similar experiences with My Carve 122. II weight 165 and
sail it with 6.0 and 7.5 sails, and I've been generally disappointed
with its performance, finding it slow and unresponsive in anything but
overpowered conditions.

It appears that the problem may be with the stock fin, which, on one
hand, is a good thing, because I can spend a few hundred $, buy one or
more new fins and have a board which performs the way it is supposed
to. But that leads to a bigger question:

Why would Starboard sell a board with a stock fin which, by all
accounts, is inadequate, and needs to be replaced in order to achieve
optimal performance?

Is Starboard trying to keep the price of a new board artificially low,
by fitting it with a cut rate fin? If so, it would appear to be at
the expense of long term user loyalty. Is this practice commmon to
all/most board manufacturers? I know there is a large selection of
"aftermarket" fines, aimed at improving/fine tuning board performance,
but one would hope the stock fins would at least prove adequate under
typical conditions.

Any opinions?

Craig Goudie

Oct 1, 2007, 10:52:05 AM10/1/07
Well, I have an opinion, and an analogy. Why would Ford, or Chevy,
or ........... put tires on a car that do not provide the best
possible
performance. They're making a cost/performance trade off. What's
an "artificially low price?" Most of the boards I've purchased don't
come with a fin, but the few that did, needed to have the fin
replaced
for better performance. They did work with the supplied fin, just not
as well as with an aftermarket. Further, I know how I want a fin to
react, and the board to feel, you may want it to do something
different.
A generic fin isn't going to to match up directly with you unless
you're
a generic windsurfer. I like fins that are "slashy", but you might
hate
my fins because they don't plane up early nor trim out for straight
line speed.

-Craig

On Oct 1, 6:07 am, bdes...@comcast.net wrote:

> I just found this discussion, and find it interesting.
>
> I've had similar experiences with My Carve 122. II weight 165 and
> sail it with 6.0 and 7.5 sails, and I've been generally disappointed
> with its performance, finding it slow and unresponsive in anything but
> overpowered conditions.
>
> It appears that the problem may be with the stock fin, which, on one
> hand, is a good thing, because I can spend a few hundred $, buy one or
> more new fins and have a board which performs the way it is supposed
> to. But that leads to a bigger question:
>
> Why would Starboard sell a board with a stock fin which, by all
> accounts, is inadequate, and needs to be replaced in order to achieve
> optimal performance?
>
> Is Starboard trying to keep the price of a new board artificially low,
> by fitting it with a cut rate fin? If so, it would appear to be at
> the expense of long term user loyalty. Is this practice commmon to
> all/most board manufacturers? I know there is a large selection of
> "aftermarket" fines, aimed at improving/fine tuning board performance,
> but one would hope the stock fins would at least prove adequate under
> typical conditions.
>

> Any opinions?- Hide quoted text -

Bob A.

Oct 3, 2007, 12:30:42 PM10/3/07
I agree that the supplied fin should be adequate for average conditions. In
my experience this is achieved around half the time. The failures come about
because of incorrect sizing (due to market trends...e.g. a trend toward
smaller fins) or poor fin design which causes spin-out problems and excess
drag. I'd actually prefer if a new board came with no fin at all, or the
option to save some $ by not taking the fin. The fin that came with my
Carve 121 was actually one of the better manufacturer supplied fins I've
received, meaning it didn't have spin-out problems and seemed to fit the
center of the board's wind range well. But even so, it did not compare to
the slippery fast feel I get with a FinWorks or Gsport fin. I like the tires
analogy that Craig mentioned. You can stay in the generic category and maybe
ignorance is bliss (and less costly), but If windsurfing is your passion,
why settle for generic? Plus, the range of any board is maximized by
changing the fin for sail size and conditions and personal preference. It's
great to be able to keep the same sail when the wind comes up by just
selecting a smaller fin. A properly trimmed sail can handle way more wind
range than a board that is handicapped by only one fin.
Bob

. I'd prefer if boards came with no fin since I've built up an aftermarket
selection that is much better than anything that might come with a new
board.