2008 freestyle frenzy video

LakeSurf

Jan 29, 2009, 11:43:10 PM1/29/09
Found this lurking on my drive. Thought I had lost it. Enjoy!

http://epicsesh.blogspot.com/2009/01/frenzy_29.html

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Jan 30, 2009, 11:10:37 AM1/30/09
Really nice video!
I gotta work on those shuvits. They seem to lead to so many of the
moves these days.

Alan White

Jan 30, 2009, 12:51:52 PM1/30/09
That's the good thing about sailing The Ditch: you can practice stuff like
that and not worry about the cold water (or whitey)

Alan

<jmcv...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

-----------------
-----------------

LakeSurf

Jan 30, 2009, 10:34:09 PM1/30/09
On Jan 30, 10:10 am, jmcvan...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Really nice video!
> I gotta work on those shuvits. They seem to lead to so many of the
> moves these days.

Thanks! I got there a little late and missed the first round or two.
And like a moron, I didn't get
video of the women and I feel like a putz for that. (I'm sure I'll
hear from Temira on this ... LOL)

Shuvits are funny - I can to the whole movement when doing a backside
air (both tacks) in the waves, but I can't
seem to do it on chop. I don't think I'm backwinding the sail hard
enough on flat water. I could go for easier moves,
but then I might as well take up kiting. (oh, did I really say
that?!?)

Ok, back to work ... gotta get up all the video from the board test
and make Josh happy. ;-P

mewin...@aol.com

Feb 1, 2009, 11:59:26 PM2/1/09
Hey Lakesurf,

Just a little tip with the shuv-it. Almost everyone that I've taught
to do them in chop doesn't land them because they don't carve upwind
long enough before they get airborn. the key is to go as fast as you
can then do a really fast and hard carve upwind while the sail starts
laying down. Also bend at the hips, not at the knees to get the sail
down. And a rule of thumb for shuv-its: If you're taking a nose dive
on the landing, you need to head more upwind, and if you're blowing up
getting backwinded, you don't need to carve as far upwind.

Next time out give little extra carve upwind and see what happens.

And now off to bonaire... No Whitey and no more snow!!! At least for
a couple weeks anyway.

Mike Burns

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Feb 2, 2009, 12:00:38 PM2/2/09
On Feb 1, 8:59 pm, mewinds...@aol.com wrote:
> Hey Lakesurf,
>
> Just a little tip with the shuv-it.  Almost everyone that I've taught
> to do them in chop doesn't land them because they don't carve upwind
> long enough before they get airborn.  the key is to go as fast as you
> can then do a really fast and hard carve upwind while the sail starts
> laying down.  Also bend at the hips, not at the knees to get the sail
> down.  And a rule of thumb for shuv-its:  If you're taking a nose dive
> on the landing, you need to head more upwind, and if you're blowing up
Mike
If you are still around.
What angle would you say the board is at to the wind when you take
off?
Is the sail still powered up on windward side when getting into the
air and then backwinded once airborne? Or is this at the same time.
I seem to lose too much speed and power during the take off (flat
water carving sharply up into the wind) to get enough air to have the
time to backwind the sail.
Jeff

LakeSurf

Feb 2, 2009, 5:40:37 PM2/2/09

Funny, I'm looking at a trip to Bonaire right now. ;-)

LakeSurf

Feb 3, 2009, 3:06:40 PM2/3/09

mewin...@aol.com

Feb 3, 2009, 10:20:52 PM2/3/09
I'm Heading for Bonaire Saturday for 2 weeks. Come on down and I'll
have you doing more shuv-it's than you can count. Bonaire is great
because the level of sailors there is off the charts, and they are
always willing to give some pointers. I learn something new every
time I go there.

mewin...@aol.com

Feb 3, 2009, 10:40:59 PM2/3/09

> Mike
> If you are still around.
> What angle would you say the board is at to the wind when you take
> off?
> Is the sail still powered up on windward side when getting into the
> air and then backwinded once airborne? Or is this at the same time.
> I seem to lose too much speed and power during the take off (flat
> water carving sharply up into the wind) to get enough air to have the
> time to backwind the sail.
> Jeff

The key is to figure out how to have the most speed you can while
hitting the ramp. Set up on a beam reach, not sailing along too far
upwind to keep the speed. Then it's timing and knowing what to look
for. I found it easiest to learn in chop about 1 ft high with a
smooth section in between to carve.. In conditions where the chop is
tight together it helps to spot the ramp yould normally take of from,
then look to hit the next piece of chop just upwind of that one. Then
carve upwind hard, bending at the hips, not at the knees. As you're
carving start laying down the sail and when you hit the chop to catch
air, your sail should be flat. Now that you're on your way up, you'll
learn to trust leaning backwinded on the rig and the longer you keep
leaning the higher you go. When you want the sail to come back up,
don't push on the back hand. Your board isn't in the water so instead
of pushing the sail you really end up pushing yourself into a nose
dive. Instead just move the sail towards the nose of the board and
you'll pop right back up to land.

I have to say, I was having trouble doing a normal shut-it until I
started going for shakas. So go into it thinking shaka, and you're
progress will be much faster because you'll be carving upwind harder
trying to get through the wind.

To sum it up for those that like lists:

1) go fast!!
2) carve upwind hard to hit the chop at the same time you start laying
down the sail.
3)The sail should be laying flat at the same time you pop out of the
water
4) lean over the sail (more weight on the sail equals more height)
5) push the sail toward the nose of the board to get the sail back up
6) you land, smile, and thank me.

have fun,

Mike

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Feb 4, 2009, 10:36:04 AM2/4/09
Nice tips!
I definitly resemble the push with back hand turning into a nose dive
aborted forward roll thing. Thinking shaka seems like it might be a
good idea. The chop here at this lake is very small and close
together. Hard to keep good speed while carving up and then to get a
good pop off micro size. It's tough.
Next time I'll be chanting shaka, shaka, shaka and let it rip like a
heli as I take off from the water. Maybe that will do something.

mewin...@aol.com

Feb 5, 2009, 11:18:40 AM2/5/09

With the smaller tight chop, since it's harder to keep speed, it helps
to try and find some that is kind of at an angle where it's coming
toward you a bit. You'll still need to carve just as hard, but it
helps to get that extra bit of pop. Just keep working on the timing
of laying down the sail. When you get it right, you'll have power and
speed right up until liftoff. It's good that you're nose diving
because it means you're committed. Now it's just a matter of carving
a bit harder upwind and not pushing on your back hand.

Good luck!