Home DVD player plays wmv files

1 view

harry

Dec 16, 2006, 10:41:53 AM12/16/06
Wondering if there is any home DVD player that plays wmv and other computer
format video files?

Thanks

dgates

Dec 17, 2006, 5:59:13 PM12/17/06
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:41:53 -0500, "harry" <harry_l...@lcc.com>
wrote:

>Wondering if there is any home DVD player that plays wmv and other computer
>format video files?
>
>Thanks

There are a couple that play DivX-encoded and Xvid-encdoded AVI files.
My own Philips DVP642 and Philips DVP5960 machines both do this, as do
a couple of Oppo machines, and a couple others whose brand names I
forget.

I don't know of any that play WMV files, but I too would be interested
in hearing if one did.

Right now, if I wanted to play a WMV file on my TV, I would:

- Use WinAVI Video Converter to convert it to AVI (DivX, I believe),
- record that AVI onto a DVD+RW disc (or a 1-gig USB card),
- stick that disc or card into my Philips DVP5960.

I could probably do it in less steps by just using Nero to make a
DVD-Video out of the WMV file, but I'm not sure it would save much
time, and then I couldn't store as many hours on a DVD+RW.

I too would be interested in hearing if any DVD player can play WMV
files straight to a TV.

healt...@yahoo.com

Dec 19, 2006, 5:12:42 PM12/19/06
No one. Only DVD or Divx some of them.