DVD Recorders

Ken

Jun 8, 2003, 9:40:58 PM6/8/03
I have a Pioneer A05 and have been successfully making DVDs using DVD
Workshop. I am wondering if there is any advantage in buying a DVD recorder
like the Panasonic DMR-E30 which are selling at a very good price here in
Australia at the moment, or the DMR-HS2. I like being able to make menus
and adding chapter stops where I want so realise that computer editing is
still the way to go if you want more control. If I bought a DVD Recorder
and recorded off VHS tapes, TV etc onto a DVD Ram disc and then used the
computer to edit the files would that be a viable alternative to capturing
off tape to the computer? I've been told that the real time capturing done
by the Panasonic is very good quality and so would probably speed up the
whole process. (I know I would have to buy a Multi drive for the computer
so I could read the DVD Ram discs.) Once the DVD Ram files are on the
computer I would need a program to convert the files to mpeg2 but I'm sure
something would be available for that.

I am interested in hearing from others who use a DVD recorder and also use
their computer to enhance what you record with better menus etc.

Ken

Buckaroo

Jun 8, 2003, 9:55:36 PM6/8/03

Once the DVD Ram files are on the
> computer I would need a program to convert the files to mpeg2 but I'm sure
> something would be available for that.
>
> I am interested in hearing from others who use a DVD recorder and also use
> their computer to enhance what you record with better menus etc.

They are already in Mpeg2.

This has been done .. try some google searches...

Ken

Jun 8, 2003, 10:35:30 PM6/8/03
Thanks. I thought they would be .vob files like regular DVDs and would need
to be converted to Mpeg2.

Ken

"Buckaroo" <Dipp...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

jdcarswell

Jun 8, 2003, 10:55:09 PM6/8/03

"Ken" <ke...@canada.com> wrote in message

> I have a Pioneer A05 and have been successfully making DVDs using DVD
> Workshop. I am wondering if there is any advantage in buying a DVD
recorder
> like the Panasonic DMR-E30 which are selling at a very good price here in
> Australia at the moment, or the DMR-HS2. I like being able to make menus
> and adding chapter stops where I want so realise that computer editing is
> still the way to go if you want more control. If I bought a DVD Recorder
> and recorded off VHS tapes, TV etc onto a DVD Ram disc and then used the
> computer to edit the files would that be a viable alternative to capturing
> off tape to the computer? I've been told that the real time capturing
done
> by the Panasonic is very good quality and so would probably speed up the
> whole process. (I know I would have to buy a Multi drive for the computer
> so I could read the DVD Ram discs.) Once the DVD Ram files are on the
> computer I would need a program to convert the files to mpeg2 but I'm sure
> something would be available for that.

There are any number of free utilities available that will read the VOB
files off your DVD and extract the MPEG-2 video file. You can then use your
authoring application to insert your own chapters and create more elaborate
menus. You can trim the MPEG files front and back, but if you want to do any
kind of editing, you will be faced with converting the MPEG-2 stream to some
flavour of AVI.

However - if you use Adobe Premiere for editing, I've recently downloaded a
plugin called MPEG Marvel that will allow editing of MPEG-2 IBP frame files.
I didn't think it was feasible, but some quick edits on a sample stream
(created by the Panasonic DMR-E30) made me think again - it seems to work,
and is both relatively accurate and quite fast. I haven't really put it
through its paces yet, but it looks very promising. You can download a demo
at http://www.bmserver.net/index.asp

A DVD-RAM drive in your computer would be optimal, but is not absolutely
necessary unless you're dead set against sacrificing a DVD-R to burn the
original material on the set top recorder. Prices have dropped to the point
where this isn't a huge expense. I have a Pioneer DVD burner, but if I were
to replace it, I would definitely consider a DVD-RAM capable burner.

> I am interested in hearing from others who use a DVD recorder and also use
> their computer to enhance what you record with better menus etc.

As I said, I have a DMR-E30 and yes, the quality in 1hr mode is
exceptionally clean - it's encoded right at the top of the allowable DVD bit
rate specs. The 2hr mode is very useable for most long form projects as
well, and the hybrid variable bit rate encoding setting makes the best ue of
the disc space based on the time you specify, so a 90 minute video doesn't
have to be encoded at the 2hr rate. The DMR-E30 can display the bit rate
while it's recording or playing back, which is a nice touch.

As a bonus, with the exception of the 1hr record mode, audio is encoded to
Dolby 2 channel AC3, which produces a much smaller audio file and allows for
higher video bit rates. This is an often an expensive extra with most
non-linear editing and authoring packages, if it's available at all.

I really like the option of having a set top DVD recorder as I can take on
jobs that would not be economically feasible if I had to capture and encode
on my non linear editor. Having the tools to quickly tweak the menu
structure and appearance (and now to be able to quickly edit the MPEG-2
video stream) expands the possibilities even further.

Don DesJardin

Jun 9, 2003, 12:18:04 AM6/9/03
As long as your thinking about a standalone DVDR, take a look at this one. I
think it plays a whole lot more formats than Panasonic.

http://www.digitrex.net/Products-dvdrecord9100.asp

Panasonic is -R/RW/Ram and Digitrex is +R/RW.

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 12:57:22 AM6/9/03
On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:18:04 GMT, Don DesJardin <bir...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

Digtrex not sold in oz though. Mainly only dvd-r/-rw/-ram format here.

tom

Jun 9, 2003, 1:59:18 AM6/9/03
Yes they are I have one of their dvd players. Got it at Big W.

"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 2:11:20 AM6/9/03
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:59:18 +1000, "tom"
<tommmD...@hoootmaaaaill.com> wrote:

>Yes they are I have one of their dvd players. Got it at Big W.

Digitrex recorders are not sold here which was th epoint of the post.
Try to find anyone selling dvd+r media. There maybe a few but most
sell dvd-r media.
Need proof I suppose?

This is a list of the cheapest busunesses selling dvd-r media in WA.
Note how only DVD-R media is mentioned.
http://bestbits.ii.net/mmedia.cgi

There are a few selling dvd+r media but at more than double the price
why pay that much when dvd-r is less than half the price.

dvd-ram is very expensive for some bizare reason in Australia.
Panasonic retail the dvd-ram media at $79 each, SHUDDER!!!!!
Places like harvery norman sell it for $55 and some others sell it for
about $25 but still mighty expensive.

tom

Jun 9, 2003, 4:43:15 AM6/9/03
Yeah? http://www.pcx.com.au/media/media_DVD_Plus.htm

"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Trevor S

Jun 9, 2003, 6:16:42 AM6/9/03
"Ken" <ke...@canada.com> wrote in

> I have a Pioneer A05 and have been successfully making DVDs using DVD
> Workshop. I am wondering if there is any advantage in buying a DVD
> recorder like the Panasonic DMR-E30 which are selling at a very good
> price here in Australia at the moment, or the DMR-HS2.

Can I ask what sort of prices you have ? and where from ? online prices ?
(I am in Oz as well) I am thinking of the same machines.

Trevor S

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 6:27:37 AM6/9/03
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 18:43:15 +1000, "tom"
<tommmD...@hoootmaaaaill.com> wrote:

>Yeah? http://www.pcx.com.au/media/media_DVD_Plus.htm

They sell b grade media, YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never said there were no stores just said there are hardly any stores.
The store you've found sells B Grade media which is crap.
I notice they have a line saying its good for data but cleverly left
out anything about video. If you look down on their page they say that
the media won't burn in a sony burner. Which is a hint that its B
grade rubbish.

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 6:31:07 AM6/9/03

Go look in aus.dvd news group.
One has it for $960. Harvey norman has them at $999 as do I think
retrovision so you'll be able to pick up one locally. Depending which
state your in if the $960 one is in your state buy from them else buy
at the stores I mentioned.

KDH

Jun 9, 2003, 8:14:45 AM6/9/03

"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:59:18 +1000, "tom"
> <tommmD...@hoootmaaaaill.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes they are I have one of their dvd players. Got it at Big W.
>
> Digitrex recorders are not sold here which was th epoint of the post.
> Try to find anyone selling dvd+r media. There maybe a few but most
> sell dvd-r media.
> Need proof I suppose?
>
> This is a list of the cheapest busunesses selling dvd-r media in WA.
> Note how only DVD-R media is mentioned.
> http://bestbits.ii.net/mmedia.cgi
>
> There are a few selling dvd+r media but at more than double the price
> why pay that much when dvd-r is less than half the price.

See http://www.blankdvdr.tk/

Their DVD+R are cheaper than their DVD-R (albeit a slower speed)!

The Digitrex is on the website advertized as a dual format recorder-this may
be a misprint as the picture shows a +RW logo only.

KDH

Ken

Jun 9, 2003, 9:12:26 AM6/9/03
Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMR-E30s sold in Australia region coded?
I've heard that
this model will record both PAL and NTSC but would also like to know if it
will play region 1 discs without needing a mod?

Also where in Australia would I buy a Panasonic (or any other brand) DVD-ROM
drive that
will play DVD-RAM discs recorded on the DMR-E30? I've looked at a lot of
online retailers but haven't found any yet.

Ken

The Doctor

Jun 9, 2003, 11:57:44 AM6/9/03
In message <fR_Ea.5032$0d7.1...@newsfep4-glfd.server.ntli.net>
"KDH" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

[snip]

> See http://www.blankdvdr.tk/
>
> Their DVD+R are cheaper than their DVD-R (albeit a slower speed)!
>
> The Digitrex is on the website advertized as a dual format recorder-this may
> be a misprint as the picture shows a +RW logo only.

Maybe not.
As far as I'm aware, the unit is not required to show a logo for the -RW
format but is require to have it for the +RW.
It also doesn't seem to support the write once media, only re-writables.
Not a major problem except re-writables are slightly more expensive at
the moment and slightly less compatable.
Hopefully it will be a bit more reliable and long lasting than the
Philips 880/890 machines.
Cheers!

--
Graham
The RISC OS software site - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/software

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 12:50:29 PM6/9/03
On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:57:44 +0100, The Doctor
<thed...@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

>[snip]
>>
>> See http://www.blankdvdr.tk/
>>
>> Their DVD+R are cheaper than their DVD-R (albeit a slower speed)!

To who ever posted this. The above site is dvd+r 1x media and the
dvd-r is 4x media. 1xX media should always be cheaper than 4xX media.

>> The Digitrex is on the website advertized as a dual format recorder-this may
>> be a misprint as the picture shows a +RW logo only.

www.digitrex.com.au

They don't have the dvd+rw recorders listed on their site.

>Maybe not.
>As far as I'm aware, the unit is not required to show a logo for the -RW
>format but is require to have it for the +RW.
>It also doesn't seem to support the write once media, only re-writables.
>Not a major problem except re-writables are slightly more expensive at
>the moment and slightly less compatable.
>Hopefully it will be a bit more reliable and long lasting than the
>Philips 880/890 machines.
>Cheers!

Far better using dvd-ram for re writing because they are guaranteed
for 100,000 re writes where dvd-ram and dvd+rw only 1000 re writes.

Only downside is dvd-ram so much more expensive:(
Prices will of course come down over time.

The philips have a few to many problems within a few months of a user
buying it. I've been really impressed with the Pana e30, not given me
any headaches thus far. Did have one problem but this was when I
bought a new tv set. The plugs were in different locations for audio
and video but once that was sorted out its been a joy to use.

CAM

Jun 9, 2003, 12:57:10 PM6/9/03
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:12:26 +1000, "Ken" <ken2atcanadadotcom> wrote:

>Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMR-E30s sold in Australia region coded?

region free according to the manual that came with mine.

>I've heard that
>this model will record both PAL and NTSC but would also like to know if it
>will play region 1 discs without needing a mod?

tv set requires ntsc playback to play ntsc video.

>Also where in Australia would I buy a Panasonic (or any other brand) DVD-ROM
>drive that
>will play DVD-RAM discs recorded on the DMR-E30? I've looked at a lot of
>online retailers but haven't found any yet.

ask when buying the e30 if they have it in stock.
if you look at the woeful harvey norman site there are many things not
on the site but are in their stores. I tend to go there form time to
time to buy programs as its one of only a few that seem to stock
software.

> Ken

KDH

Jun 9, 2003, 1:23:11 PM6/9/03

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:57:44 +0100, The Doctor
> <thed...@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> See http://www.blankdvdr.tk/
> >>
> >> Their DVD+R are cheaper than their DVD-R (albeit a slower speed)!
>
> To who ever posted this. The above site is dvd+r 1x media and the
> dvd-r is 4x media. 1xX media should always be cheaper than 4xX media.

CAM shows his amazing DVD knowledge again!
DVD+R do not come in 1x .They are 2.4x
I DID SAY albeit at a slower speed!

> >> The Digitrex is on the website advertized as a dual format
recorder-this may
> >> be a misprint as the picture shows a +RW logo only.
>
> www.digitrex.com.au

This is the Digitrex computers website! A different company???
Why is it I can find this on the link below while I don't even live in Oz??
Cam can't do it?????????

> They don't have the dvd+rw recorders listed on their site.

WHY is it here http://www.digitrex.net/Products-dvdrecord9100.asp#
??????????

KDH

The Doctor

Jun 9, 2003, 1:31:19 PM6/9/03
In message <v5e9evctlofeop06b...@4ax.com>
CAM <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:57:44 +0100, The Doctor
> <thed...@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >[snip]
> >>
> >> See http://www.blankdvdr.tk/
> >>
> >> Their DVD+R are cheaper than their DVD-R (albeit a slower speed)!
>
> To who ever posted this. The above site is dvd+r 1x media and the
> dvd-r is 4x media. 1xX media should always be cheaper than 4xX media.
>

> >> The Digitrex is on the website advertized as a dual format recorder-this may
> >> be a misprint as the picture shows a +RW logo only.
>
> www.digitrex.com.au
>
> They don't have the dvd+rw recorders listed on their site.
>

> >Maybe not.
> >As far as I'm aware, the unit is not required to show a logo for the -RW
> >format but is require to have it for the +RW.
> >It also doesn't seem to support the write once media, only re-writables.
> >Not a major problem except re-writables are slightly more expensive at
> >the moment and slightly less compatable.
> >Hopefully it will be a bit more reliable and long lasting than the
> >Philips 880/890 machines.
> >Cheers!
>
> Far better using dvd-ram for re writing because they are guaranteed
> for 100,000 re writes where dvd-ram and dvd+rw only 1000 re writes.

Why do people find this so much of an issue?
We have been using VHS for ages and I shudder to think of the picture
quality of a VHS tape after it has been recorded to 1000 times.

I will concede to a problem with the Philips DVDR 880/890 machines in
that they won't last long enough to wear out a single RW disc before
they go wrong.
Mine has gone wrong twice so far and I'm nowhere near 1000 writes in
total.

> Only downside is dvd-ram so much more expensive:(
> Prices will of course come down over time.

It's also incompatable with other DVD players.
people keep arguing over the +R / -R thing. RAM just doesn't come into
it.

> The philips have a few to many problems within a few months of a user
> buying it. I've been really impressed with the Pana e30, not given me
> any headaches thus far. Did have one problem but this was when I
> bought a new tv set. The plugs were in different locations for audio
> and video but once that was sorted out its been a joy to use.

If I can get my money back on the Philips (fat chance) then I may go for
one of these (anything but another Philips!)

Buckaroo

Jun 9, 2003, 4:58:52 PM6/9/03

"> > >As far as I'm aware, the unit is not required to show a logo for
the -RW
> > >format but is require to have it for the +RW.
>.free-online.co.uk

DVD+R and +RW are not allowed to show the compact disc logo because they
are not an authorized format, only -R and -RW are.

Jerry Jones

Jun 9, 2003, 5:55:40 PM6/9/03
> If I bought a DVD Recorder
> and recorded off VHS tapes,
> TV etc onto a DVD Ram disc
> and then used the computer
> to edit the files would that
> be a viable alternative to
> capturing off tape to the
> computer?

Do you have a PC drive that can accept cartridged DVD-RAM discs?

I have the Panasonic SW-9571, which is sold here:

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030019

Ulead's consumer-level and professional-level video editors can work
quite effectively with DVD-RAM discs.

Here's the Web page description for ULEAD VideoStudio 7:

http://www.ulead.com/vs/runme.htm

Here is the Web page description for ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7:

http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm

Here are the steps for ULEAD MediaStudio Pro 7:

1. Remove your recorded DVD-RAM disc from your Panasonic recorder;

2. Insert your recorded DVD-RAM disc into your DVD-RAM computer drive;

3. Open MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0's Video Capture program;

4. Select the DVD-VR capture plug-in;

5. Click CAPTURE>VIDEO and then click the BROWSE button to browse to
your DVD-RAM computer drive where you will observe a folder named
DVD_RTAV

6. In the entry line, type .VRO. (Change the entry to .VRO if the
entry line already displays the .MPG extension);

7. Then click OK;

(ALTERNATIVE TO STEPS 5 - 6: Click SETUP>VIDEO PROPERTIES and browse
to the DVD_RTAV folder and click OK and then click the RECORD BUTTON);

8. A playlist should appear;

9. Highlight the entry in the playlist;

10. You should now observe a THUMBNAIL of the video on the DVD-RAM
disc and a button that says TRIM;

11. Click FINISH;

12. Save the file to any location on your hard drive.

Now it can be edited in the timeline.

To 'burn' to a DVD-RAM disc in a DVD-RAM drive:

1. Open Ulead MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0 Video Editor;

2. Click FILE>EXPORT>ULEAD DVD-VR WIZARD;

3. Click NEW DISC IMAGE BUTTON and choose your DVD-RAM drive;

4. Click NEXT>NEXT>RECORD BUTTON>FINISH;

Now you'll note the presence of a new DVD_RTAV folder that contains a
.VRO file (and other files) on your DVD-RAM disc.

For Ulead VIDEOSTUDIO 7:

1. Open Ulead VIDEOSTUDIO 7.0 and click FILE>CHANGE CAPTURE
PLUG-IN>ULEAD DVD-VR PLUG-IN.

2. Click the CAPTURE button step.

3. Click OPTIONS>VIDEO PROPERTIES.

4. Observe the dialogue box that allows you to browse to the location
of your DVD-RAM drive.

5. Click OK.

6. Click the CAPTURE VIDEO icon.

7. SELECT PLAYLIST dialogue appears.

8. Highlight the playlist you wish to edit and click NEXT.

9. Highlight the scene you wish to edit and click FINISH.

Now the .VRO file loads as an MPEG into your Ulead VIDEOSTUDIO 7.0
timeline for editing.

After you edit and then CREATE the final MPEG file, go to the EDIT
step and import the finished file and then click the EXPORT button and
then click ULEAD DVD-VR WIZARD.

This will then guide you through the steps to record the finished MPEG
back to the DVD-RAM disc in your DVD-RAM drive.

Now - to capture from a DVD-R disc, I use the same procedure in ULEAD
VideoStudio 7.

Except that instead of browsing to a DVD-RAM disc, I browse to the
location of the DVD-R disc.

I'm using Panasonic LF-D321 and Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD-RW
drives.

Hope this helps,

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

tom

Jun 9, 2003, 8:18:47 AM6/9/03
Read it again! It's not all b grade discs.

"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Steven Toney

Jun 9, 2003, 8:13:40 PM6/9/03
I actually own several Ulead program

mediastudio 6.5 -- not upgrade to 7 yet

photoimpact

dvd picture show

dvd movie factory

-------

I have problem with stuff I bought from ULEAD via the ESD program

I have installed the programs without problem, but trying to install some
the patches from the ulead site yields message about not finding the progam
on the computer -- although I can run the installed program on the same
computer without error

the patch programs seems flawed

CAM

Jun 10, 2003, 9:54:54 AM6/10/03
On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:31:19 +0100, The Doctor
<thed...@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

Because dvd-ram i sbetter but like I've said for soem time not many
dvd players can read dvd-ram media. The sam eproblems exist with dvd
plus media. Its just the way it is.

>We have been using VHS for ages and I shudder to think of the picture
>quality of a VHS tape after it has been recorded to 1000 times.

After a few copies of vhs the quality of thecopy of thecopy and of the
copy goesdown hill quite badly but a copy of a copy of a copy of a dvd
never should ever lose any quality.

Now re writing is a whole different field. No question that dvd-ram is
so much better. The problem with dvd-ram is its limited to the
panasonic drives.

>I will concede to a problem with the Philips DVDR 880/890 machines in
>that they won't last long enough to wear out a single RW disc before
>they go wrong.
>Mine has gone wrong twice so far and I'm nowhere near 1000 writes in
>total.
>> Only downside is dvd-ram so much more expensive:(
>> Prices will of course come down over time.
>>
>It's also incompatable with other DVD players.
>people keep arguing over the +R / -R thing. RAM just doesn't come into
>it.

Never said it did. Only commented that dvd-ram is the best for re
writing.

>> The philips have a few to many problems within a few months of a user
>> buying it. I've been really impressed with the Pana e30, not given me
>> any headaches thus far. Did have one problem but this was when I
>> bought a new tv set. The plugs were in different locations for audio
>> and video but once that was sorted out its been a joy to use.
>>
>If I can get my money back on the Philips (fat chance) then I may go for
>one of these (anything but another Philips!)
>Cheers!

Wouldn't it be nice if they could all get together and bring out a
multiformat drive that does the whole blinking lot of different
formats. To many complete stuff ups years ago has led to three
different formats for re writing. A total balls up between the leading
manufactures has led to consumer confusion on what to buy.
Which is why three are a few multiformat pc dvd burners but not to
many multi format dvd recorders yet. Maybe in time they'll flood the
market place.

I'm delighted in the E30 but the downside os the re writables can only
be used in the panasonics at this stage but if you buy a dvd recorder
its unlikely you'll buy a second dvd player although I have but most
will have the dvd recorder and play back dvd-ram in that recorder so
different formats a re not a issue.

Each to thier own I suppose.

AnthonyR

Jun 10, 2003, 12:04:03 PM6/10/03

> >> Far better using dvd-ram for re writing because they are guaranteed
> >> for 100,000 re writes where dvd-ram and dvd+rw only 1000 re writes.
> >>
> >Why do people find this so much of an issue?
>
> Because dvd-ram i sbetter but like I've said for soem time not many
> dvd players can read dvd-ram media. The sam eproblems exist with dvd
> plus media. Its just the way it is.

I was at a trade show seminar last week, and many people were asking about
DVD recorders and which format should they get.
The answers they got were, both the -R and +R are about 87% readable on home
units, with the major compatiblity factor being media brand.
They mentioned getting a new type dvd-/+R drive if you are worried about
which format to get.
Then the guy said, the only good news is, DVD-RAM is finally dead, and not
even an issue any more.
I believe this is the feeling of a lot of people in the industry today.

AnthonyR

Bruce Markowitz

Jun 10, 2003, 6:15:02 PM6/10/03
Since you already have DVD Workshop, all you need is a DVD drive capable of
READING RAM (the Toshiba 1712 is an excellent choice, rips fast too). You
can rename the VRO files to MPG and them import right into DVDWS, and you
know the rest
"jdcarswell" <johnhyphe...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Bruce Markowitz

Jun 10, 2003, 6:18:38 PM6/10/03
DVD-RAM is FAR FROM DEAD.
In fact, LG and Panasonic just brought out new Multi-Drives that write to
it, IBM just introduced a laptop burner that writes to it (UJ-810 from
Panasonic), and the beauty is, you can record on a Pany E series and EDIT
right on the DVD-RAM disk
Who ever told you DVD-RAM is dead is VERY mistaken!

"AnthonyR" <Replyong...@becauseoflame.spammers.com> wrote in message

Bruce Markowitz

Jun 10, 2003, 6:19:35 PM6/10/03
Just search for the Toshiba 1712. It is an excellent chioce, reads RAM and
rips fast
"Ken" <ken2atcanadadotcom> wrote in message

Trevor S

Jun 11, 2003, 4:42:29 AM6/11/03
"AnthonyR" <Replyong...@becauseoflame.spammers.com> wrote in

<snip>

> Then the guy said, the only good news is, DVD-RAM is finally dead, and
> not even an issue any more.
> I believe this is the feeling of a lot of people in the industry
> today.

Odd, I was thinking thank god, DVD-RAM it is finally starting to kick
along. I think I will finally take the dive and get a -RAM based set top
recorder.

Trevor S

BillyBob

Jun 11, 2003, 7:22:34 PM6/11/03
> Then the guy said, the only good news is, DVD-RAM is finally dead, and not
> even an issue any more.
> I believe this is the feeling of a lot of people in the industry today.

Hmmm - strange he thought it was dead - it currently has about 60% market
share of the DVD Recorder market in the US. It is widely used for archiving
and is the current media of choice in large optical changing mechanisms
replacing MO. If you need to reliably store large amounts of data in optical
format and be able to change or modify it regularly then RAM is the way to
do.

BillyBob

jdcarswell

Jun 12, 2003, 12:40:42 AM6/12/03
Panasonic seems bent on pushing DVD-RAM, as they've indicated that all their
future DVD set top players would be DVD-RAM compatible. I just purchased a
Toshiba M1712 DVD-ROM that reads DVD-RAM - a perfect companion to my
Panasonic DMR-E30 set top recorder. For many end users, DVD-RAM is indeed a
non-issue, but thankfully for those of us who use it for authoring and
editing purposes, it's still a very useful format.

a user

Jun 12, 2003, 12:30:06 PM6/12/03
Actually, I think the "new" Panasonics will play DVD-RAM as the low end
rv-35 @ $99 plays DVD-RAM (not sure of the "rv" designation"; or was it
rv-31.....

Ken

Jun 13, 2003, 10:04:31 AM6/13/03
I have just purchased a Panasonic DMR-E30 recorder and a Panasonic DVD-ROM
drive so I can now read DVD-RAM discs in my computer. I have followed the
instructions from Jerry Jones given in the DVD Recorders thread for using
Ulead Video Studio 7 to import .VRO files from the RAM disc but while I can
import the .VRO file in to VS7 when I try to export the finished file I get:
"G:\filename.MPG is not DVD-VR compatible or file format is different from
that of the disc image."

I really don't need to go back to the RAM disc as I want to edit and burn to
DVD so I then tried using the .MPG file that was created from the .VRO file
by VS7 with DVD Workshop 1.3 (not the AC3 version). The file loads
properly, I can set chapters etc. and when I go to "Make disc" it goes
through steps 1 to 3 quickly but at the end of step 3 - Rendering Menus I
get "Unspecified Error 80041b59". (If I go to preview it plays properly.)
I have tried with different clips recorded at different times all with the
same result once I have tried editing in VS7. I was successful once with a
short clip that I imported but didn't edit - DVDWS created the DVD and it
played perfectly.

Are there any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? The files from the
DVD-RAM disc have AC3 audio and when I do the import in VS7 it displays the
audio correctly. Since VS7 doesn't support AC3 for normal editing could
this be causing part of my problem? Any suggestions of other software to
try that will allow me to edit the .VRO files and retain the AC3 audio will
be much appreciated.

Ken

"Jerry Jones" <je...@jonesgroup.net> wrote in message

> > If I bought a DVD Recorder
> > and recorded off VHS tapes,
> > TV etc onto a DVD Ram disc
> > and then used the computer
> > to edit the files would that
> > be a viable alternative to
> > capturing off tape to the
> > computer?
>
> Do you have a PC drive that can accept cartridged DVD-RAM discs?
>
> I have the Panasonic SW-9571, which is sold here:
>
> http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030019
>
> Ulead's consumer-level and professional-level video editors can work
> quite effectively with DVD-RAM discs.

Jerry Jones

Jun 13, 2003, 2:09:09 PM6/13/03
> while I can import the .VRO
> file into VS7, when I try to

> export the finished file I get:
> "G:\filename.MPG is not DVD-VR
> compatible or file format is
> different from that of the disc
> image."

My bet is that you failed to choose LPCM AUDIO in your project
settings.

You probably chose MPEG audio.

The Ulead DVD-VR Wizard is supposed to be used when you wish to record
back out to a DVD-RAM disc.

I'm using a Panasonic SW-9571 Firewire external DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM
drive.

These are the precise steps I'm taking as I type this:

1. I insert a DVD-RAM disc into Panasonic SW-9571 drive and disc IS
FORMATTED to UDF 2.0 specification;

2. I open VideoStudio 7.0 and set the project settings to match the
attributes of the file with which I am working and I then use the
SHARE>CREATE VIDEO FILE method to save my edited file to a location on
my hard drive;

3. Next I click the OPEN FOLDER icon located in the lower left hand
corner of the interface and choose the INSERT VIDEO option;

4. I browse to my edited MPEG file (with LPCM AUDIO);

5. I highlight the file and then click the OPEN button and the file
loads into the VideoStudio 7 timeline;

6. I then click the EXPORT button and I choose the ULEAD DVD-VR
PLUG-IN;

7. Now the Ulead DVD-VR Wizard pops up with the timeline clip
represented as a thumbnail;

8. I then click the NEW DISC IMAGE button once and browse to my
REMOVABLE DRIVE icon, creating a folder on my formatted DVD-RAM disc
called DVD_RTAV;

9. I then click the NEXT button and I'm presented with a new window
that gives me the option to add a playlist;

10. I then click the NEXT button again and I'm presented with a new
window that allows me to preview the video;

11. I then click the NEXT button again and I'm presented with another
windows that allows me to both preview the file and click a RECORD
button to save the finished file to disc.

It works for me!

> I really don't need to go
> back to the RAM disc as I
> want to edit and burn to
> DVD so I then tried using
> the .MPG file that was
> created from the .VRO file
> by VS7 with DVD Workshop 1.3
> (not the AC3 version). The file
> loads properly, I can set
> chapters etc. and when I go
> to "Make disc" it goes
> through steps 1 to 3 quickly
> but at the end of step 3 -
> Rendering Menus I get "Unspecified
> Error 80041b59".

Try the LPCM AUDIO method that I described above.

> The files from the DVD-RAM disc
> have AC3 audio and when I do the
> import in VS7 it displays the
> audio correctly. Since VS7 doesn't
> support AC3 for normal editing could
> this be causing part of my problem?

Try the LPCM AUDIO method I desribed above.

Also, while Ulead VideoStudio 7.0 does not support AC-3 audio, Ulead
MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0 *does* support editing of AC-3 audio.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Ken

Jun 13, 2003, 6:38:55 PM6/13/03
Thanks for the reply Jerry. I'll try it tonight.

A question re selecting LPCM Audio in my project settings. If I select that
setting will the AC3 audio be extracted and I can then work with regular
LPCM audio with VS7?

I realise that MEDIASTUDIO PRO 7.0 does support AC3 audio, (as well as 16:9
which I would like to see in VS7) but when I downloaded the trial version it
seemed so different to VS7 and as a relative newcomer to video editing it
seemed too complicated. Maybe I should try it again as it sounds as though
it's a lot more flexible. I know it's a professional level editing program
but I've found Video Studio ideal for my editing needs until now.

Ken

"Jerry Jones" <je...@jonesgroup.net> wrote in message

wally

Jun 14, 2003, 9:33:14 AM6/14/03
In article <_QOFa.2186$wh2...@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, "BillyBob" <NEW...@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>> Then the guy said, the only good news is, DVD-RAM is finally dead, and not
>> even an issue any more.
>> I believe this is the feeling of a lot of people in the industry today.
>
>Hmmm - strange he thought it was dead - it currently has about 60% market
>share of the DVD Recorder market in the US.

Deceptive statistic. There are few DVD Recorders out there right now. Amoung
the stand alones (no way is DVD-RAM capable computer burners 60% of the
market) Panasonic's DVD-RAM recorders have more features, more models and
little competition with Philips and Pioneer as the also rans. This will
likely change quickly when APEX introduces its sub $400 standalone DVD+RW
recorder latter this month to be sold at Walmart, etc.

>It is widely used for archiving
>and is the current media of choice in large optical changing mechanisms
>replacing MO. If you need to reliably store large amounts of data in optical
>format and be able to change or modify it regularly then RAM is the way to
>do.

This is DVD-RAM's niche. It'll keep the product alive, but barely.

The Panasonic EMR recorder (I forget the exact model number) with the hard
drive is quite compelling if they can get the price down before APEX floods
the market and kills them off.

--wally.

Ken

Jun 14, 2003, 11:46:47 AM6/14/03
Jerry,

I've done some more tests tonight and you were right - I hadn't selected
LPCM audio. I've now changed the settings in both VS7 and DVD Workshop and
I can create a DVD that plays, but there is no audio.

So it looks as though VS7 is not converting the AC3 audio to LPCM and the
audio is not surviving the editing process. If I saved back to DVD-RAM
would the result be any different? I want to burn to DVD-Rs so once I edit
the footage that came off DVD-RAM with VS7 I want to use DVD Workshop to
create a regular DVD.

Ken

"Ken" <ken...@canada.com> wrote in message

David

Jun 14, 2003, 4:37:38 PM6/14/03
wa...@nomail.com (wally) wrote in message news:<uuFGa.12413$rb4.1...@twister.austin.rr.com>...

The DMR E50 costs about £320, the one with hard drive built in costs
nearly £700.

Why?

The only difference between the two is one has a 40gb hard drive built
in, you can't tell me the hard drive costs £300 extra.

David

Bruce Markowitz

Jun 14, 2003, 5:31:18 PM6/14/03
Re-name the vro from the recorder to .mpg and then import directly
into DWS
The 1.3 patch for DWS does not gernerally install properly, which does
create problems.
You should be able to just select "create disc". It works for me,
forget the LPCM audio

David McCall

Jun 14, 2003, 9:05:44 PM6/14/03

"David" <robbi...@aol.com> wrote in message news:ebcbce06.03061...@posting.google.com...

> The DMR E50 costs about £320, the one with hard drive built in costs
> nearly £700.
>
> Why?
>
> The only difference between the two is one has a 40gb hard drive built
> in, you can't tell me the hard drive costs £300 extra.

Not for a raw hard drive, but a drive with a controller, an operating system,
and installed in a DVD player is a little different story. You don't have to
buy it if you think it is too much, but if you knew the difference between a
recorder with and without a hard drive, then you would pay whatever they ask.

It is so convenient to be able to dump a program onto the hard drive, and
then go back to trim the front and back, add additional items until you have
enough to be worth burning, and then dump it to DVD from the hard drive.
It is really nice, and useful, feature.

David

BillyBob

Jun 14, 2003, 9:12:38 PM6/14/03
> >Hmmm - strange he thought it was dead - it currently has about 60% market
> >share of the DVD Recorder market in the US.
>
> Deceptive statistic. There are few DVD Recorders out there right now.
Amoung
> the stand alones (no way is DVD-RAM capable computer burners 60% of the
> market) Panasonic's DVD-RAM recorders have more features, more models and
> little competition with Philips and Pioneer as the also rans. This will
> likely change quickly when APEX introduces its sub $400 standalone DVD+RW
> recorder latter this month to be sold at Walmart, etc.

Hmm - do you read trade mags on the industry? Panasonic is the overwhelming
leader in the home DVD Recorder market (this is a unit that takes the place
of a VCR). The statement was not that DVD-RAM had 60% of the computer
market.....

I am sure that Walmart will sell a load of the cheap APEX brand - but I am
sure that Costco is selling a load of the DVD-RAM Recorders as well......

> >It is widely used for archiving
> >and is the current media of choice in large optical changing mechanisms
> >replacing MO. If you need to reliably store large amounts of data in
optical
> >format and be able to change or modify it regularly then RAM is the way

to do it.

> This is DVD-RAM's niche. It'll keep the product alive, but barely.

I am puzzled about how reliably storing large amounts of data and being able
to change or modify it is a niche market? How important is your data?

What seems to be forgotten by a lot of folks is the reason that DVD +R even
exists - With the advent of DVD and DVD-R Sony and Philips no longer had a
lock on the patent royalty stream - ergo create a new standard that you
control and can license - DVD +R will probably get installed on more
computers since HP decided it would sell it rather than DVD -R. The last
year HP sold CD-R drives they sold something like 13 million units - did not
make one of them. Just because it gets sold on more computers does not make
it a better device. The Beta versus VHS war was a solid example of that.

Pioneer has annouced support for both DVD +-R (dual drive) - as their VP
noted - it is not because + is so good but because a consumer is not smart
enough to know that the reason the media cannot be recorded is because they
bought the wrong kind and will take the drive back as defective (reported on
CNET)

> The Panasonic EMR recorder (I forget the exact model number) with the
hard
> drive is quite compelling if they can get the price down before APEX
floods
> the market and kills them off.

APEX and other cheap Chinese crap that lasts just long enough to squeak
through the warranty period will probably sell a in shiploads - glad the
folks will get what they pay for.....

BillyBob

BillyBob

Jun 14, 2003, 9:28:37 PM6/14/03

"wally" <wa...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> In article <_QOFa.2186$wh2...@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, "BillyBob"
<NEW...@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> >> Then the guy said, the only good news is, DVD-RAM is finally dead, and
not
> >> even an issue any more.
> >> I believe this is the feeling of a lot of people in the industry today.

You might check out this article in an industry mag -

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=story&doc_id=120651&display=breakingNe

BillyBob

Ken

Jun 15, 2003, 5:04:29 AM6/15/03
I tried renaming the .vro file to .mpg and imported that into DVD Workshop
and I was able to create a disc. There was audio when I previewed the
project but not on the burned DVD so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'll be wanting to record some TV shows onto DVD-RAM using the DMR-E30, edit
them on the PC to cut out the ads and then burn them to DVD-R. Are there
any suggestions on other software to try?

Ken

"Bruce Markowitz" <sco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

CAM

Jun 15, 2003, 7:20:49 AM6/15/03
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:04:29 +1000, "Ken" <ken2atcanadadotcom> wrote:

>I tried renaming the .vro file to .mpg and imported that into DVD Workshop
>and I was able to create a disc. There was audio when I previewed the
>project but not on the burned DVD so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
>I'll be wanting to record some TV shows onto DVD-RAM using the DMR-E30, edit
>them on the PC to cut out the ads and then burn them to DVD-R. Are there
>any suggestions on other software to try?

You want adobe premiere 6.5
only problem is it costs a fortune.

wally

Jun 15, 2003, 10:10:47 AM6/15/03
Unless it can trim the commercials from the middle its way over priced!

--wally.

wally

Jun 15, 2003, 10:29:54 AM6/15/03
In article <aKPGa.18351$Bw2....@nwrddc03.gnilink.net>, "BillyBob" <NEW...@NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
>> >Hmmm - strange he thought it was dead - it currently has about 60% market
>> >share of the DVD Recorder market in the US.
>>
>> Deceptive statistic. There are few DVD Recorders out there right now.
>Amoung
>> the stand alones (no way is DVD-RAM capable computer burners 60% of the
>> market) Panasonic's DVD-RAM recorders have more features, more models and
>> little competition with Philips and Pioneer as the also rans. This will
>> likely change quickly when APEX introduces its sub $400 standalone DVD+RW
>> recorder latter this month to be sold at Walmart, etc.
>
>Hmm - do you read trade mags on the industry? Panasonic is the overwhelming
>leader in the home DVD Recorder market (this is a unit that takes the place
>of a VCR). The statement was not that DVD-RAM had 60% of the computer
>market.....

DOH! that's exactly what I said! Panasonic leads the home DVD Recorder
market right now because the competition is limited and lame. This will
change by Xmas. I've no stake if Panasonic remains on top or not, but the
competetion is good for consumers. I'll be buying one of these eventually.

>I am sure that Walmart will sell a load of the cheap APEX brand - but I am
>sure that Costco is selling a load of the DVD-RAM Recorders as well......
>
>> >It is widely used for archiving
>> >and is the current media of choice in large optical changing mechanisms
>> >replacing MO. If you need to reliably store large amounts of data in
>optical
>> >format and be able to change or modify it regularly then RAM is the way
>to do it.
>>
>> This is DVD-RAM's niche. It'll keep the product alive, but barely.
>
>I am puzzled about how reliably storing large amounts of data and being able
>to change or modify it is a niche market? How important is your data?

Too big for DVD-RAM to be useful. Mirrored on mulitiple hard drives with
one rotated out to off site storage every week.

>What seems to be forgotten by a lot of folks is the reason that DVD +R even
>exists - With the advent of DVD and DVD-R Sony and Philips no longer had a
>lock on the patent royalty stream - ergo create a new standard that you
>control and can license - DVD +R will probably get installed on more
>computers since HP decided it would sell it rather than DVD -R. The last
>year HP sold CD-R drives they sold something like 13 million units - did not
>make one of them. Just because it gets sold on more computers does not make
>it a better device. The Beta versus VHS war was a solid example of that.

The DVD-R vs DVD+R war is a distraction. There is no significant difference
in compatability. Some players do DVD+R but not DVD-R and vice-versa so
+/- combo burners will take over the market because we need both to maximize
coverage.

>Pioneer has annouced support for both DVD +-R (dual drive) - as their VP
>noted - it is not because + is so good but because a consumer is not smart
>enough to know that the reason the media cannot be recorded is because they
>bought the wrong kind and will take the drive back as defective (reported on
>CNET)

Nice spin. But its support both or go the way of the Dodo. Hitachi has
announced a DVD+/-R and DVD-RAM combo burner (model 4040). This could be a
winner if Panasonic gets their prices down to compete with APEX etc. Saw an
ad in this months Computer Videomaker mag from B&H listing the the EMR-30 for
$390 so it looks like Panasonic is serious. This is good, as its really the
last hope for DVD-RAM to be other than a footnote in a long line of niche
backup products.

>> The Panasonic EMR recorder (I forget the exact model number) with the
>hard
>> drive is quite compelling if they can get the price down before APEX
>floods
>> the market and kills them off.
>
>APEX and other cheap Chinese crap that lasts just long enough to squeak
>through the warranty period will probably sell a in shiploads - glad the
>folks will get what they pay for.....

Yeah lots of advertising, I like paying for that with the "name" brands.
My APEX DVD play has held up well beyond the warranty and is still doing fine.

--wally.

wally

Jun 15, 2003, 10:35:43 AM6/15/03

Unless the DVD-RAM media drops to the levels of DVD+RW media the consumer
market will flock to the DVD+RW home recorders later this summer once APEX
et.al. flood the market with low cost standalone DVD+RW recorders.

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20030609S0042

Panasonic has got its work cut out for them. I hope they are up to the
competition.

--wally.

David McCall

Jun 15, 2003, 10:37:40 AM6/15/03

"wally" <wa...@nomail.com> wrote in message news:H7%Ga.21968$1w1.1...@twister.austin.rr.com...

> Unless it can trim the commercials from the middle its way over priced!

Yes it can remove anything from the middle, not just commercials.
The price is hefty, but it has been a useful tool for me.

It makes creating a DVD easy enough that I use it as a instead of VHS
for client dubs, as well as for creating the masters for simple distribution
(original content, not TV shows with the commercials removed). I do use
it to store commercials, and other segments of interest, that I want to
save for later viewing. If a commercial comes on that I want to keep, I
just back up the TiVo, start the DVD recording to the hard drive, and
then start the TIVo. It's easy to then go back and trim the content off the
head and tail. When I get enough of them stored, I can burn them to
DVD-R. You don't have to burn the whole DVD at once though. I
save the occasional commercial for later inspiration, but you could
save the program and remove the commercials, if you want :-)

David

jdcarswell

Jun 15, 2003, 1:03:14 PM6/15/03

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:04:29 +1000, "Ken" <ken2atcanadadotcom> wrote:
>
> >I'll be wanting to record some TV shows onto DVD-RAM using the DMR-E30,
edit
> >them on the PC to cut out the ads and then burn them to DVD-R. Are there
> >any suggestions on other software to try?
>
> You want adobe premiere 6.5
> only problem is it costs a fortune.

And Premiere won't edit MPEG-2 files by itself. There are 2 options I know
of. First one is to transcode the MPEG-2 files into AVI for editing and then
back to MPEG-2 for authoring, which is not only hugely time-consuming but
will result in degraded video quality. The second option is to use a plugin
such as DVD Marvel, which will enable Premiere to edit MPEG-2 IBP frame
video. I've tried the demo and it's fast and seamless. The catch is that the
plugin alone costs US$300.

CAM

Jun 15, 2003, 2:02:13 PM6/15/03
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:03:14 GMT, "jdcarswell"
<johnhyphe...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:04:29 +1000, "Ken" <ken2atcanadadotcom> wrote:
>>
>> >I'll be wanting to record some TV shows onto DVD-RAM using the DMR-E30,
>edit
>> >them on the PC to cut out the ads and then burn them to DVD-R. Are there
>> >any suggestions on other software to try?
>>
>> You want adobe premiere 6.5
>> only problem is it costs a fortune.
>>
>And Premiere won't edit MPEG-2 files by itself.

You can edit mpeg2 files in adobe premiere 6.5
You need to open new project. Then import a mpeg2 file into the bin
doalog box then drag it into the time line where you can edit or do
anything you want to it. Then re render it.

>There are 2 options I know
>of. First one is to transcode the MPEG-2 files into AVI for editing and then
>back to MPEG-2 for authoring, which is not only hugely time-consuming but
>will result in degraded video quality. The second option is to use a plugin
>such as DVD Marvel, which will enable Premiere to edit MPEG-2 IBP frame
>video. I've tried the demo and it's fast and seamless. The catch is that the
>plugin alone costs US$300.

When I bought 6.5 there was a 4.2 driver disc and didn't have to pay
anything extra. Everytime I use it and if I'm on line it will load in
any new patches automatically.

AnthonyR

Jun 15, 2003, 2:34:49 PM6/15/03

"BillyBob" <NEW...@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

> Pioneer has annouced support for both DVD +-R (dual drive) - as their VP
> noted - it is not because + is so good but because a consumer is not smart
> enough to know that the reason the media cannot be recorded is because
they
> bought the wrong kind and will take the drive back as defective (reported
on
> CNET)
>
> BillyBob

Well, it's about time Pioneer realized its a supply and demand world, lol
and if people think their products are broken and returning them in such
high numbers then I guess the demand must be for products that work with the
+R format then, hugh?

AnthonyR

AnthonyR

Jun 15, 2003, 2:38:59 PM6/15/03

> Panasonic has got its work cut out for them. I hope they are up to the
> competition.
>
> --wally.

Also, when consumers look at the price of blank media, this plays a big role
in which machine to invest in.
Yest. when I was in Staples, the 3 pack of blank DVD+RW was $14.95, compared
to the single DVD-RAM which was labeled at $27.95.
It had probably been sitting there a while also because it had lots of dust
on it.
The DVD+RW seem to be moving quickly, they had ordered more since I bought
the last ones last time.

AnthonyR

CAM

Jun 15, 2003, 2:57:10 PM6/15/03
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 14:29:54 GMT, wa...@nomail.com (wally) wrote:

>>> Deceptive statistic. There are few DVD Recorders out there right now.
>>Amoung
>>> the stand alones (no way is DVD-RAM capable computer burners 60% of the
>>> market) Panasonic's DVD-RAM recorders have more features, more models and
>>> little competition with Philips and Pioneer as the also rans. This will
>>> likely change quickly when APEX introduces its sub $400 standalone DVD+RW
>>> recorder latter this month to be sold at Walmart, etc.
>>
>>Hmm - do you read trade mags on the industry? Panasonic is the overwhelming
>>leader in the home DVD Recorder market (this is a unit that takes the place
>>of a VCR). The statement was not that DVD-RAM had 60% of the computer
>>market.....
>>

>DOH! that's exactly what I said! Panasonic leads the home DVD Recorder
>market right now because the competition is limited and lame. This will
>change by Xmas. I've no stake if Panasonic remains on top or not, but the
>competetion is good for consumers. I'll be buying one of these eventually.

Panasonic has a total of 7 dvd recorders according to this list and it
doesn't include the dmr-e20 which quite a few own.
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/newdesign/productlist.asp?categoryid=2596

Which is why panasonic dominate the market place.
Their e80 is set to dominate when it gets released. A nice 80gb hard
drive and some new features will make it the most sort after dvd
recorder thus far.

Jerry Jones

Jun 15, 2003, 4:51:16 PM6/15/03
> I'll be wanting to record
> some TV shows onto DVD-RAM
> using the DMR-E30, edit
> them on the PC to cut out
> the ads and then burn them
> to DVD-R.

Ken,

Could you mail a recorded DVD-RAM disc to me?

I'd like to find out why this is not working for you.

Because it is working for me.

If you're willing to do so, please mail it to this address:

http://www.jonesgroup.net/aboutus.htm

...and after I've done some testing...

...I'll return it to you.

OK?

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Jerry Jones

Jun 15, 2003, 4:54:44 PM6/15/03
> You want adobe premiere 6.5

Actually, Adobe Premiere 6.5 does not support DVD-VR.

Only the Ulead applications support DVD-VR.

http://www.ulead.com/msp/compare.htm

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Steven Toney

Jun 15, 2003, 4:57:38 PM6/15/03
I was going to get an E80 -- but recently ordered an HS2 instead --

They dropped some features that were in the HS2 that I anted to play with

IE

firewire in
PCCARD slot

I wanted to try both for input fro my DV camera and pictures from my digital
still camera

It will get most use for DVD's made from my Directivo's -- to free up space,
but retaining some shows like enterprise etc..

I can do this through my PC video editing, but I think HS2 will save me a
great deal of time by not have to capture the Tivo in DV-AVI, clipping
commercial, rendering to MPEG2, DVD burning

I expect to record from Tivo to harddrive in HS2, clip ends and commercials,
and save 2 shows to a DVD-R

"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

CAM

Jun 16, 2003, 2:30:03 AM6/16/03
On 15 Jun 2003 13:54:44 -0700, je...@jonesgroup.net (Jerry Jones)
wrote:

>> You want adobe premiere 6.5
>
>Actually, Adobe Premiere 6.5 does not support DVD-VR.

Use virtualdub then use the plugin to save the vob file as avi then
edit it in adobe premiere 6.5

adobe premiere 6.5 will also edit mpeg2 files.

Trevor S

Jun 16, 2003, 4:50:04 AM6/16/03
"AnthonyR" <Replyong...@becauseoflame.spammers.com> wrote in

<Snip>

> Yest. when I was in Staples, the 3 pack of blank DVD+RW was $14.95,
> compared to the single DVD-RAM which was labeled at $27.95.

Whoah.. and I though Aust was expensive. -RAM over here can be had for
$Aus18 - 20 about $US 11 - 13.

http://www.pcx.com.au/Media/media_DVD_RAM.htm

Trevor S

FredBillie

Jun 16, 2003, 6:24:18 AM6/16/03
<< From: Trevor S bi...@gates.com
Date: Mon, Jun 16, 2003 3:50 AM

<Snip>

http://www.pcx.com.au/Media/media_DVD_RAM.htm

Trevor S
>><BR><BR>
I bought a DVD Ram disk for $14.95 at Micro Center a while back. I wonder of
the original poster was talking about a two sided DVD Ram disk. They are a lot
more expensive.

wally

Jun 16, 2003, 9:59:26 AM6/16/03
Yes I recently purchased a 10-pk spindle (no cases) of K-hypermedia DVD+RW for
$19.95 So far all have burned (data) and worked perfectly in several
computers.

--wally.

wally

Jun 16, 2003, 10:03:06 AM6/16/03
In article <7ucpevg5lqbf9ppaf...@4ax.com>, CAM <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:03:14 GMT, "jdcarswell"
><johnhyphe...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

>>"CAM" <C...@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>edit
>>>
>>> You want adobe premiere 6.5
>>> only problem is it costs a fortune.
>>>
>>And Premiere won't edit MPEG-2 files by itself.
>
>You can edit mpeg2 files in adobe premiere 6.5
>You need to open new project. Then import a mpeg2 file into the bin
>doalog box then drag it into the time line where you can edit or do
>anything you want to it. Then re render it.

Re rendering mpeg is bad news. Need "smart" rendering so only the transitions
are re-rendered. You might as well capture and edit in DV and then encode to
mpeg if your "editor" rerenders all mpeg on the timeline!

--wally.

wally

Jun 16, 2003, 10:04:48 AM6/16/03
In article <f86036b9.03061...@posting.google.com>, je...@jonesgroup.net (Jerry Jones) wrote:
>> I'll be wanting to record
>> some TV shows onto DVD-RAM
>> using the DMR-E30, edit
>> them on the PC to cut out
>> the ads and then burn them
>> to DVD-R.
>
>Ken,
>
>Could you mail a recorded DVD-RAM disc to me?
>
>I'd like to find out why this is not working for you.
>
>Because it is working for me.
>
>If you're willing to do so, please mail it to this address:
>
>http://www.jonesgroup.net/aboutus.htm
>
>....and after I've done some testing...
>
>....I'll return it to you.

>OK?
>
>Jerry Jones
>http://www.jonesgroup.net

Take Jerry up on his offer if you are serious. I've exchanged disks with him
and we've both learned from doing it.

--wally

wally

Jun 16, 2003, 10:08:04 AM6/16/03
In article <7toqev4rgt18hgkg5...@4ax.com>, CAM <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>On 15 Jun 2003 13:54:44 -0700, je...@jonesgroup.net (Jerry Jones)
>wrote:
>
>>> You want adobe premiere 6.5
>>
>>Actually, Adobe Premiere 6.5 does not support DVD-VR.
>
>Use virtualdub then use the plugin to save the vob file as avi then
>edit it in adobe premiere 6.5

You might as well captuer or "record" your video to DV, edit and then encode
to mpeg. Its the re render mpeg step we want to avoid by editing DVD-VR
files.

>adobe premiere 6.5 will also edit mpeg2 files.

You sure about this? I thought it re-render mpeg files on the timeline
like the MSP6.x products do -- which is basically useless.

--wally.

AnthonyR

Jun 16, 2003, 11:29:22 AM6/16/03

> I bought a DVD Ram disk for $14.95 at Micro Center a while back. I wonder
of
> the original poster was talking about a two sided DVD Ram disk. They are a
lot
> more expensive.

Actually, I just checked Staples online, their dvd-ram prices range high and
low by brands, so maybe they are trying to come down somewhat...but here is
the double sided at $76 USA , kinda high, hugh?
http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=IM1781016

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=394297

and yes there is a cheaper single sided one for about $16, so I guess the
one I had seen at $26 might also have been double sided, but that still is
way more than a DVD+RW disk at about $2.75 each at the same store.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=IMN41529

davep

Jun 17, 2003, 5:31:58 PM6/17/03
Not sure why everyone feels that DVD-RAM is so expensive.
officedepot.com has double sided Imation 9.4gb DVD-RAM in the cart for
$11.99 USD. I also picked up some Imation 4.7GB DVD-RAM in the cart
from compusa.com a month or so ago for $5.99 USD each (looks like they
are back up to $11 now). I have a Panasonic DMR-E30 and also a
Panasonic LF-D521U and the Imation media has worked without problems
in both.

Dave