Production Reel for a local indie

Ty Ford

May 15, 2009, 9:32:49 AM5/15/09

I'm working with a few folks who want to do a Production Reel (not trailer)
for a new script so they can better convey the idea to investors and fans.

They want to shoot a few scenes with local actors (probably not the final
choices, and with lower production quality/costs).

Something less than 3 minutes that conveys the feeling of the script.

Anyone have any experience with this approach? Ae there any websites that
show this approach?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Steven J. Weller

May 15, 2009, 10:47:46 AM5/15/09
On May 15, 6:32 am, Ty Ford <tyreef...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working with a few folks who want to do a Production Reel (not trailer)
> for a new script so they can better convey the idea to investors and fans.
>
> They want to shoot a few scenes with local actors (probably not the final
> choices, and with lower production quality/costs).
>
> Something less than 3 minutes that conveys the feeling of the script.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this approach?

Some. Generally, it's not a great idea. You're showing them a
version of the project that is, by definition, wrong. Wrong actors,
wrong budget, wrong locations, wrong light, wrong everything, and
asking them to make a leap of imagination. Not like this, but better
- even though it's from the same people, using the same gear, etc.
You'll end up chasing away more people than you'll pull in. The
approach was briefly popular some years ago but quickly faded, because
it tends to work against your purposes.

--
Life Continues, Despite
Evidence to the Contrary

Steven

Joaquin

May 15, 2009, 11:31:49 AM5/15/09
Here's 'Svengali' episode 1 (5 minutes) (also episodes 2 and 3), filmed very
low budget but with mostly the right cast.
A new Internet pilot for a comedy series from the writer and director team
who brought you DOSE and WEDDING BELLES.
Starring Jonathan Owen and Roger Evans. Written by Dean Cavanagh directed by
Philip John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-b1ZuLwYGs

some serious interest now in taking this forward..........

hope it's the kind of thing you mean.

"Steven J. Weller" <az...@lafn.org> wrote in message

Rob B

May 15, 2009, 10:24:38 PM5/15/09
On May 15, 10:31 am, "Joaquin" <JoaquinMe...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Here's 'Svengali' episode 1 (5 minutes) (also episodes 2 and 3), filmed very
> low budget but with mostly the right cast.
> A new Internet pilot for a comedy series from the writer and director team
> who brought you DOSE and WEDDING BELLES.
> Starring Jonathan Owen and Roger Evans. Written by Dean Cavanagh directed by
> Philip John.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-b1ZuLwYGs
>
> some serious interest now in taking this forward..........
>
> hope it's the kind of thing you mean.
>
> "Steven J. Weller" <az...@lafn.org> wrote in messagenews:7a9373a5-5638-47d1...@g3g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

> > On May 15, 6:32 am, Ty Ford <tyreef...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >> Hi,
>
> >> I'm working with a few folks who want to do a Production Reel (not
> >> trailer)
> >> for a new script so they can better convey the idea to investors and
> >> fans.
>
> >> They want to shoot a few scenes with local actors (probably not the final
> >> choices, and with lower production quality/costs).
>
> >> Something less than 3 minutes that conveys the feeling of the script.
>
> >> Anyone have any experience with this approach?
>
> > Some.  Generally, it's not a great idea.  You're showing them a
> > version of the project that is, by definition, wrong.  Wrong actors,
> > wrong budget, wrong locations, wrong light, wrong everything, and
> > asking them to make a leap of imagination.  Not like this, but better
> > - even though it's from the same people, using the same gear, etc.
> > You'll end up chasing away more people than you'll pull in.  The
> > approach was briefly popular some years ago but quickly faded, because
> > it tends to work against your purposes.
>
> > --
> > Life Continues, Despite
> > Evidence to the Contrary
>
> > Steven

If memory serves I seem to recall that Sam Rami did this to raise
money for Evil Dead. Haven't heard of any other example.