Tutorial how to convert large DAA files to ISO DVD using Windows Freeware DVD2ISO Utility

Suzanne DeAngelillis

Dec 24, 2007, 5:56:38 AM12/24/07
As far as I know, below is the only freeware tutorial on the Internet today
which shows how to convert DAA archives to DVD when the original DAA files
are larger than 300 kb (even the venerable Wikipedia is wrong on this
topic).

Many thanks to Luigi Auriemma who personally replied to my emails all night
on Christmas eve to enable me to write this simple tutorial up. If someone
can fix Wikipedia to let others know of his wonderful solution, we'd be
grateful.

Thanks to all (I'll sign off now),
Suzanne DeAngelillis
-------------------------
QUESTION (previously not answered on the Internet as far as we can tell):
How do we convert large DAA files to DVD on Windows using freeware?

ANSWER (thanks mostly to Bjorn S., Jim S., & especially to Luigi Auriemma):
0. Download Luigi Auriemma's Windows freeware daa-conversion utility:
http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

This contains a zip file with source code & a Windows binary:
http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz/daa2iso.zip

1. Point Luigi's dvd2iso to the *first* file in your DAA archive:
c:\> daa2iso filename.part01.daa output.iso

This will convert single or multi-part DAA files to a single ISO.
A single output.iso file image will be the result.

2. You can burn that ISO image to DVD using Windows ImgBurn freeware:
http://www.imgburn.com

This will get you a playable DVD.

3. Or you can unpack that ISO image using Windows IZArc freeware:
http://www.izarc.org

This will result in the original files that were in the DAA archive.

ALTERNATE SOFTWARE (not necessarily freeware nor Windows):
PowerISO (not freeware, especially for large DAA files):
http://www.poweriso.com/poweriso-1.1.tar.gz
AcetoneISO (this is freeware, just not windows, works only on Linux):
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/AcetoneISO-16724.shtml

REFERENCES (none of which currently outline the simple solution above):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Access_Archive
http://filext.com/file-extension/DAA
http://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/the-daa-file-everything-you-need-to-know
http://www.articlealley.com/article_170967_11.html
http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

Any other references we should add, specifically for Mac users?

Ken Maltby

Dec 24, 2007, 10:12:25 PM12/24/07

"Suzanne DeAngelillis" <royal...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> As far as I know, below is the only freeware tutorial on the Internet
> today
> which shows how to convert DAA archives to DVD when the original DAA files
> are larger than 300 kb (even the venerable Wikipedia is wrong on this
> topic).

Yes, why go to the trouble of stealing DVDs, if you can't
find a freeware method, to do it?

Ken

sandy58

Dec 25, 2007, 5:37:12 AM12/25/07
On Dec 25, 3:12 am, "Ken Maltby" <kmal...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "Suzanne DeAngelillis" <royalgl...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Ken, believe me....it's NO TROUBLE! It's FUN!! :-)
Merry Christmas from Scotland, Ken. :-)

Richard

Dec 29, 2007, 8:46:46 PM12/29/07
On Dec 24, 5:56 am, Suzanne DeAngelillis <royalgl...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> http://filext.com/file-extension/DAAhttp://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/the-daa-file-everything-you-need-...

> http://www.articlealley.com/article_170967_11.html
> http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm
>
> Any other references we should add, specifically for Mac users?

Hi Suzanne,

How does one usually create DAA archives? Just curious.

Regards,
Richard

koppah

Dec 29, 2007, 11:54:33 PM12/29/07
Thanks for this! Great tip! :)

On Dec 24, 8:56 pm, Suzanne DeAngelillis <royalgl...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>  http://filext.com/file-extension/DAAhttp://w-shadow.com/blog/2007/09/07/the-daa-file-everything-you-need-...

scott...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2008, 10:55:28 PM1/26/08
Suzanne, thanks!!! This is exactly what I needed... and I prefer
command line vs GUI any day for this kinda stuff, light a fast!

-thefish