Camcorder with manual exposure control

Mike

Mar 5, 2006, 7:05:04 PM3/5/06
Howdy,

I've been looking for a small digital Mini-DV camcorder that will allow
me to manually set the exposure - hopefully with a wheel-like device
that can be used when viewing through the eye piece. I've found that
in many cases the automatic exposure doesn't cut it for certain shots
and I need to compensate the exposure for what I'm trying to capture.

What I've been finding in the Sony and Canon lines is that you can only
set the exposure manually by using a touch screen (Sony) or with a joy
stick (Canon) with the swing-out screen. My problem with these methods
is that it is hard to gauge what exposure might be needed by looking at
the swing-out screen because the screen is often "washed out" in real
world shooting situations (i.e. bright conditions).

I was hoping to purchase a small "palm size" camera for job related
traveling that I do. I've found that the small cameras are less
obtrusive when trying to capture people in semi-exotic places and of
course they are easier to carry in a computer bag.

I currently have a Sony TRV-10 which allows me to easily control the
exposure, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth. So I'm looking
for something similar in the >= 340k effective pixels and ~20x optical
zoom. Eventually I plan on getting a Canon XL2 but that big beast
won't satisfy my unobtrusive desire!

TIA

Malcolm Stewart

Mar 5, 2006, 7:11:10 PM3/5/06
"Mike" <mlec...@theriver.com> wrote in message

> Howdy,
>
> I've been looking for a small digital Mini-DV camcorder that will allow
> me to manually set the exposure - hopefully with a wheel-like device
> that can be used when viewing through the eye piece. I've found that
> in many cases the automatic exposure doesn't cut it for certain shots
> and I need to compensate the exposure for what I'm trying to capture.
>
> What I've been finding in the Sony and Canon lines is that you can only
> set the exposure manually by using a touch screen (Sony) or with a joy
> stick (Canon) with the swing-out screen. My problem with these methods
> is that it is hard to gauge what exposure might be needed by looking at
> the swing-out screen because the screen is often "washed out" in real
> world shooting situations (i.e. bright conditions).

Have you considered controlling exposure using a LANC ?

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Mike

Mar 5, 2006, 8:30:15 PM3/5/06

Malcolm,

No, I've seen the LANC jack but have no idea what it is or used for.
Can you briefly descirbe how I'd go about using it?

Thanks,

Mike

Steve King

Mar 6, 2006, 12:51:10 AM3/6/06
"Mike" <mlec...@theriver.com> wrote in message

SNIP

>> Have you considered controlling exposure using a LANC ?
>>
>> --
>> M Stewart
>> Milton Keynes, UK
>> http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
>
> Malcolm,
>
> No, I've seen the LANC jack but have no idea what it is or used for.
> Can you briefly descirbe how I'd go about using it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Through the LANC jack one can control some of the camera functions. Small
Lanc Controllers typically control start-stop record, exposure, zoom, and
focus. I haven't seen one with exposure control, although that may be
possible, too. Varizoom makes a wide variety of these controllers.
http://www.varizoom.com/controlsindex.html Here's a listing of all the
commands under the LANC protocol used by Sony and Cannon (and other no
doubt): http://www.boehmel.de/lanc.htm

Steve King

Malcolm Stewart

Mar 6, 2006, 4:40:15 AM3/6/06
"Mike" <mlec...@theriver.com> wrote in message

> No, I've seen the LANC jack but have no idea what it is or used for.
> Can you briefly descirbe how I'd go about using it?
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,
I'd completely forgotten about LANCs until last Saturday when I saw one
being used to control two Sony PC105(?) camcorders side by side for
capturing stereo video. The one I saw is featured below, and is probably
over the top for single camera control but there are others. (From what I
read, it seems that only Sony and Canon implement LANC control, and then
only on some cameras.)
http://www.ledametrix.com/lancshep/index.html
Whether they allow control of manual exposure I'm not sure.

Larry Johnson

Mar 6, 2006, 9:46:38 AM3/6/06
Several models of digital camcorders allow shutter options from 1/60 sec. on
up. Panasonic has several models which allow you to manually control the
camcorder, as does Sony. For instance, the Sony DCR-HC26 has Aperture
settings of f1.8 - 3.1, exposure in 24 steps, manual focus and shutter
speeds from 1/60 to 1/4000 sec.

Making the right decision only takes a little time reading the specs at the
most popular camcorder manufacturer websites. I found several models,
including the Sony DCR-HC26, within 3 minutes of reading your post. I
visitied the Panasonic website, JVC and Samsung within just a few minutes
and found what you are looking for at all of them.

LANC does no good if the camcorder doesn't support the function the OP
wants, and many of the camcorders offering his choice of features don't
support LANC.

Mike

Mar 6, 2006, 10:38:38 AM3/6/06
"Larry" wrote:

>Several models of digital camcorders allow shutter options from 1/60 sec. on
>up. Panasonic has several models which allow you to manually control the
>camcorder, as does Sony. For instance, the Sony DCR-HC26 has Aperture
>settings of f1.8 - 3.1, exposure in 24 steps, manual focus and shutter
>speeds from 1/60 to 1/4000 sec.

>Making the right decision only takes a little time reading the specs at the
>most popular camcorder manufacturer websites. I found several models,
>including the Sony DCR-HC26, within 3 minutes of reading your post. I
>visitied the Panasonic website, JVC and Samsung within just a few minutes
>and found what you are looking for at all of them.

I've looked at the Sony, Canon, and Panasonic websites. I've also
checked with some common retailers that sell those type of "entry
level" cameras (e.g. Best Buy, Circuit City, Computer USA, etc.) to
examine these camcorders first hand. The Sony model that you mention,
like most of their newer "palm size consumer line" that allow for
manual exposure control, all require you to do it by using the
swing-out screen. That's what I'm trying to avoid, becasue you can't
see squat about judging the exposure with the screen when shooting
outdoors. The Sony HDR-HC1, a HDV camera, does have exposure control,
but currently costs around $1500. I was hoping for something in the
$400 to $600 range for my small unobrusive "travel" camera.

Thanks,

Mike

Larry Johnson

Mar 6, 2006, 12:14:39 PM3/6/06
In that price range I doubt you are going to find anything outside the type
already found.