NO Orleans info?

Dave Carter-Sun-Atlanta GA-Atlanta District MCC

Jun 16, 1992, 10:44:51 AM6/16/92
Has anyone on the net been to New Orleans? Including myself I have
seen 3 people ask about info to New Orleans, such as accomedations
and things to do, and no one has sent out a reply yet.

If anyone has been to New Orleans, please share info on things to
do and good reasonable places to stay. Thanks.

Is there a good place also to go deep sea fishing down there?

David

Elissa Keeler

Jun 16, 1992, 11:33:28 AM6/16/92

OK, here's what I know about New Orleans.

Places to stay:
Unless you've got a lot of money to blow, don't expect
to be able to stay in the French Quarter. Modest rooms are near $100, and
there's never a place to park your car. Instead, try for the guest houses
and B&Bs on St. Charles Avenue; the streetcar will take you almost anywhere
you want to go.
A very nice, shabby-genteel B&B is the St. Charles Guest
House, whose proprietor is Dennis Hilton. New Orleans information will
have the phone number. If he doesn't have a room for you, he'll go out
of his way to find someone who does.

Things to do:
The New Orleans Zoo: Their philosophy is that they won't have animals
living outside of a native habitat, so they've got lots of hot-weather
animals who don't seem too unhappy, and no sweltering polar bears. Very nice.
There's a free shuttle from the St. Charles streetcar to the gate.
The Aquarium: On the Moon Walk near the French Quarter. It's not
Monterey by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty good for that
part of the country.
Riverboat: Party boats are available, if you're into that. You can
also just take the hour ride from the Quarter to the zoo in Audubon Park. The
pilots have an interesting patter about the history of boating on the
river, and despite the company of all kinds of tourists, the talk is pretty
good.
City Park: Has an art museum with a huge collection of Faberge eggs.
Historical houses in the Garden District: New Orleans architecture
is unlike any other in the South. Even without a map, you can find lots
of interesting houses, as all historical ones are marked.
French Quarter: This deserves a posting of its own, and I probably
can't do it justice. We were lucky to be there during a Tennessee
Williams Festival, and the director of the Literary Society conducted
a walking tour, which gave some background to many of the buildings that
we'd otherwise never have realized had history, but it turns out that
almost everything in that district does.

Where and what to eat:
It's almost impossible to get a bad meal in New Orleans. Even the
Popeye's Fried Chicken is better there than it is anywhere else. Well-known
but worthwhile are the coffee & beignets at the Cafe du Monde (and a great
bargain, at that!); oysters, gumbo, & beer at Felix's or the Acme Oyster
Bar; a muffaletta sandwich (New Orleans' homegrown po-boy) from the
Central Grocery on Decatur.
If you want to splurge for a meal and have clothes that pass the
dress code, Galatoire's is a N.O. tradition. Real Creole and French
cooking. Amazing stuff, but a lot of attitude on the part of the wait
staff, since Galatoire's is one of the few places in the Quarter that
natives go.
Another great meal is Tujaque's (pronounced Two Jacks). It's
table d'hote--for a fixed price, you get a shrimp remoulade appetizer,
a hunk of their incredible brisket, a salad, an entree (your choice from
three or four), coffee, and dessert. Probably the best meal and the best
bargain we had; a feast for two and a bottle of wine for around $50. The
rest of the time we just picked up meals wherever.

What to read before you go:
"Tales from Margaritaville," by Jimmy Buffett, especially the story "I Wish
Lunch Could Last Forever," and "Jitterbug Perfume" if you like Tom Robbins.

What to read when you get back:
"A Confederacy of Dunces," by John Kennedy Toole.

The above is all that I can recall off the top of my head, though there's
much, much, much more. You can also go to the racetracks or off into the
swamps, which are the spookiest wetlands in the country.

Elissa Keeler, EKe...@uh.edu |
Asst. Manager for Information Services | Ibid.
University of Houston |

#richard lovelock

Jun 17, 1992, 3:51:17 AM6/17/92
In article <1992Jun16....@menudo.uh.edu> eke...@menudo.uh.edu (Elissa Keeler) writes:

>OK, here's what I know about New Orleans.

OK, here's what I can add

>Things to do:

Riverboats : There are several that go on day trips to plantations and
the swamps and bayous, actually they all seem to do the same trip no
matter what size boat you go on, but its worth it especally on a good day.
Evening cruises were also availiable, we took the dinner cruise on the
"Natchez" - a bit of a rip off ( paper plates, plastic cutlery and yuk
food ) - but there's something compelling about travelling the Mississippi
on a paddle boat at dusk..........

World Trade Centre : Worth the up-market price you will pay for a cocktail
just to sit and watch the city go around in front of your eyes, best to
go up early evening and watch the sun go down, the view is fantastic.

Costume Factory : Take the ferry across the river and go to the factory
that makes the costumes for Mardi Gras, apart from the costumes - which
you get to try on - you get an insight and some history of the Krews.

Walking Tours : For an introduction to the French Quarter there are tours
twice a day starting in Jefferson Sq and going around the main streets and
sights. The Forest Rangers - office on the front near the market - also
offers walking tours which were free when we were there, try the Garden City
tour ( but take a brolly there is nowhere to shelter if you get a downpour
like we did ). The Rangers may also do a tour of the Cemetery ( not a place
to go without a group ).

Lake Ponchettrane : a bus from the bottom of Canal St will take you all the
way, and if you want a relaxing few hours its worth it.

Superdome : Incredible place and tours daily. If you want to go on the
Natchez boats trips book them here - you get discounts.

City Park : Dont miss the Carousel, fully working and straight out of
Mary Poppins.

Hope this has added a bit more info.

= Richard Lovelock = This is Armageddon, and =
= Crosfield Electronics Ltd = Armageddon out of here. =
= Three Cherry Trees Lane = =
= Hemel Hempstead = ============================
= England = Email: r...@crosfield.co.uk =

steven h apple

Jun 20, 1992, 11:59:17 PM6/20/92
David, I've been to New Orleans a few times. Mostly during Jazz Fest, so my
ideas and views may be towards the music scene. Don't skip the French Quarte
entirely, but it's not exactly where I'd spend my nights. Go Uptown
go to Jimmy's, Benny's, Maple Leaf, Muddy Waters, Tipitina's. Eats... uptown
there's Cafe Atchafalya. In the Central Business District (CBD) there's
Mother's (try the Debris Sandwich). On Carrollton, there's the Camelia Grill
they make great melted sandwiches. A few blocks down from Camelia there's
this little place (forget the name) but they make great po-boy's.
If you're into nature, you may want to rent a canoe and paddle around John
Lafette State Park. I got one from "the Cajun Cabin" right outside the
park. real nice people, good price. Tell'em Steve from Miami sent ya.
Have a great time... wish I was going!! Steve