Austin, TX dining suggestions

karenpj

Nov 7, 2006, 9:29:25 PM11/7/06
I've been to Austin twice, although am going again and am interested in
any suggestions for breakfast, BBQ and Tex-Mex. Thanks!

Unknown

Nov 7, 2006, 11:58:43 PM11/7/06
In article <1162952965....@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>,

karenpj <karen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I've been to Austin twice, although am going again and am interested in
>any suggestions for breakfast, BBQ and Tex-Mex. Thanks!

My friends in Austin have taken me to Threadgill's a couple of
times, and I enjoyed it very much.

http://www.threadgills.com/

Patty

--
=========================== pa...@wintertime.com =========================
"Here I've been talking with the most intelligent people

pantagruel

Nov 8, 2006, 11:46:09 AM11/8/06

"karenpj" <karen...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I've been to Austin twice, although am going again and am interested in
> any suggestions for breakfast, BBQ and Tex-Mex. Thanks!

Wow, you are asking a real loaded question. I would advise to go to
www.austin360.com and look at the foodie section. There you will find
reviews of almost all restaurants and all kinds in the city. Let me know if
you have any specific questions.

Larry Van Wormer

Nov 8, 2006, 12:26:33 PM11/8/06
to karenpj
karenpj wrote:
> I've been to Austin twice, although am going again and am interested in
> any suggestions for breakfast, BBQ and Tex-Mex. Thanks!

Have you checked out the Chowhound boards?

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/show/5

karenpj

Nov 8, 2006, 2:14:45 PM11/8/06
Okay, I though my post explained it. I was just looking for "your"
favorites in Austin. My daughter has lived there over a year, and I
have been there twice already. Yes, I've been to Chowhound, Austin360
and Chowhound.

If anyone else has personal experience with restaurants in Austin let
me know.
Thanks.
Karen

pltrgyst

Nov 8, 2006, 2:25:46 PM11/8/06
"karenpj" <karen...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been to Austin twice, although am going again and am interested in
> any suggestions for breakfast, BBQ and Tex-Mex. Thanks!

Just walk south about a half mile from the bat bridge, and you'll find a number
of excellent Tex-Mex places serving breakfast. Take your pick!

-- Larry

pltrgyst

Nov 8, 2006, 4:05:57 PM11/8/06
On 8 Nov 2006 11:14:45 -0800, "karenpj" <karen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If anyone else has personal experience with restaurants in Austin let
>me know.

The Roy's Restaurant is particularly good, featuring the chef formerly in
Denver.

-- Larry

karenpj

Nov 8, 2006, 5:05:16 PM11/8/06
Thanks Larry. :-)

pantagruel

Nov 10, 2006, 12:15:28 PM11/10/06

> Okay, I though my post explained it. I was just looking for "your"
> favorites in Austin. My daughter has lived there over a year, and I
> have been there twice already. Yes, I've been to Chowhound, Austin360
> and Chowhound.
>
> If anyone else has personal experience with restaurants in Austin let
> me know.
> Thanks.

Okay, here goes:

Top flight. favorite, lottsa' money but best cuisine in second best
setting: Aquarelle, real quality service, food and good atmosphere.

Top flight, next favorite. Driskill Hotel. Old world, Wine and Food Top 10
Chef David Bull. lottas, lotsa money

Most interesting, top flight, lottsa money, Uchi== suchi, shasimi, great
service, can BYOB and I forgot whether or not there is a corkage fee. Very
popular and interesting dining experience. Also a Food and Wine Top 10 chef.

Top flight, most interesting, lottsa money--Out near Lake Travis, Hudson's
On The Bend. rated No. uno by our food critic, Dale Rice. Specializes in
game of various kinds.

Absolute overall favorite; Vespaio, great food, moderately priced, northern
Italian. good bar, great waiters, try to get seated in the Wine Room otw it
can get noisy. Right next door and part of the same place is their Enoteca,
good for lunch.

Best funky Austin, Mexican, downtown, cheap but very well known even outside
of A. is the Las Manitas ('Manitas, locally) open only for lunch, and maybe
Sun. morn. brunch. They are the sisters that have raised a big stink here in
A over a huge hotel chain displacing them. The local paper tagged them as an
Austin "iconic business"

Good BBQ, downtown, Iron Works, a lot of people like Shady Grove, near
downtown, and a lot like Ben's Longbranch near downtown on east side

Good BBQ, out of town, Kreuze's Market in Lockhart (probably the best in the
region, some would disagree saying Cooper's in Llano)

Good Tex Mex--Mi Madre's out on Manor Road, not far from downtown and easily
accessible. On the way pass a couple of other new and trendy Mexican food
places that have good reputations actually.

Mexican Mile, go a little ways out S. First to a bunch of places in a row,
Povitos is real popular with the white people. It was mentioned in the
latest National Geographic Traveler magazine as a good example of Austin
diversity and blending of life styles.

Downtown favorite of mine-- Traviata, a small but very Euro appearing
trattoria that sells delicious pastas, pannini especially good for lunch.

Brand newest, eager to try, Cibo's by Will Packwood, also a Food and Wine
Top 10 chef, somewhere on S. Congress, in the vicinity of Vespaio. Italian
small plate type of place. Early reviews are very good.

Near UT favorite-- Fino, Middle Eastern fusion, wonderful food in classy
interior. Popular with the West Austin moneyed crowd. Same people that own
Asti, but 20 times better than latter.

Best Vegetarian by a long shot, Cosmic Cafe near Jeffery's( top flight, used
to be my favorite) has vegetarian fare with middle eastern flair. Cool
place.

Hope this helps, contact me for details. Buenos Nachos.

pantagruel

Nov 10, 2006, 12:49:27 PM11/10/06
Forgot to mention, good, regular restaurant with interesting menu,
especially good for lunch and near the new Whole Foods is Castle Hill Cafe.
Been there a long time, very popular with downtown workers, moderately
priced with interesting but good basic cuisine.

Famous for soul food, large servings, again on East Side, Manor Road, near
Mi Madre's is Hoover's. A locally owned place by African Americans and has
made a name for itself for what many call soul food but when I was growing
up we just called it simply "food"

pantagruel

Nov 10, 2006, 5:51:39 PM11/10/06
The Mexican place on S. 1st, Mexican Mile, is Polvo's, not Povito's. My
Cuppa

karenpj

Nov 16, 2006, 8:25:31 PM11/16/06
Hi Pantagruel- I'm back from my trip to Austin. Here's where I ate:
* Iron Works BBQ- I went here first in 2001. It's still a hit with me.
I had BBQ chicken.
* South Congress Cafe: great! Migas and yummy potato, with smoked
gouda, pancakes.
* Maria's Taco Xpress (on south Lamar)- Good breakfast tacos in a
casual/ order at the counter setting.
* Whole foods for a veggie sandwich, which was very good.
Other than that we ate at my daughter's, and an overnighter in San
Antonio.
Thanks for your tips. :-)