North Ireland

Barbara La Porta

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95

I'm leaving to Ulster, North Ireland, and I'm not able to find
news about IRA, Belfast and so on...If someone can help me, please
write in my M)box. Thanks to everybody.
Barbara

M EASTERBROOK

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95

This is a very general question, what exactly do you want to know?
(I am an Englishman living in Northern Ireland).

--
Mark.Eas...@bnr.ca +44 1232 363772
at home: 10026...@compuserve.com GI0JPW

L. Smith

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
i, too, am planning a trip to ulster...what are your plans, what kind of
info are you looking for?

lacey smith

Elizabeth Andrews

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
>> This is a very general question, what exactly do you want to know?
>> (I am an Englishman living in Northern Ireland).
>>
>> --
>> Mark.Eas...@bnr.ca +44 1232 363772
>> at home: 10026...@compuserve.com GI0JPW

Mark,
I would like to get in on asking you some questions.
It will be great to get some firsthand information. My husband and I
are planning a trip to Ireland in December, and he would like to also
visit Northern Ireland and see Belfast, and I want to see the Giants Causway
(I'm not sure exactly where it is at yet.)
I would like to know what the possibilities of dangerous situations are,
mostly in relation to the troubles. I understood that the main areas to
be concerned about where areas where you might cross over the boarder. Is
this true?
Have the negotations settles things down, or stirred them up?
If you would recommend seeing Northern Ireland, what parts, site, etc so
you think would be good to visit? We are interested in the history and
culture along with beautiful scenary.
Are there places or events that you would recommend staying away from?
Thanks for any info.
Elizabeth Andrews

Mike D Bates

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95
Barbara La Porta (MC9...@mclink.it) wrote:

> I'm leaving to Ulster, North Ireland, and I'm not able to find
> news about IRA, Belfast and so on...If someone can help me, please
> write in my M)box. Thanks to everybody.
> Barbara

Barbara,

Tune into the BBC world service on shortwave or mediumwave (648 khz).
There has been a major development: The release of a British
paratrooper convicted of murdering a teenage joyrider. I have heard
reports of angry and violent reactions in Derry and Belfast.

Other sources of info: The Irish Times (http://www.irish-times.com)
and the Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk) are both on the
World-Wide Web. Also, check the newsgroup soc.culture.irish.

We traveled to Ulster last summer and had a lovely time. We're set to
return but recent developments make me nervous, especially with
sectarian celebrations coming soon. (July 12 is a Protestant
celebration of the victory of Protestant King William of Orange over
Catholic King James II in 1690 at the Boyne River. Catholics in
Ireland mark a religious feast in August in similar manner.)

If you go, be sure to hop over the border to Co Donegal, which is in
Ulster, but also is in the Republic of Ireland. It is a beautiful
land.

--
Mike and Mikki Bates
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA

L. Smith

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
also check clari.world.europe.ireland, and clari.world.europe.uk for
news!! have fun...