Beware - Visa Only "allowed" 50 Euro from ATM in Germany

tim....

May 31, 2012, 6:56:01 AM5/31/12
Was travelling back through Germany two days ago and because I had
mistakenly booked a hotel that didn't accept cards and had spent all of my
stash of Euro on an unexpected (unavoidable emergency) purchase I needed to
get some Euro in a hurry.

So went to the ATM and the bloody thing would only give me 50 Euro. Thought
that it was because it was out of cash so I tried the one next to it with
the same result.

Then I noticed a sticker on it stating that "VISA" were restricting
withdrawals to 50E.

What's that all about?

And what flipping use is 50 Euro a time. I'd be going to the machine every
day with that restriction. Something which I really hate doing. Not to
mention getting the charged minimum fee on my card for such a trivial amount
(yes Visa, 50 Euro is a trivial amount!)

Is it just this particular bank (Sparkassa) or a general rule?

tim

Erilar

May 31, 2012, 11:58:46 AM5/31/12
Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in Kelheim:
the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM and
had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is a
debit card. Could that be the difference?

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

tim....

May 31, 2012, 12:26:40 PM5/31/12

"Erilar" <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote in message
I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(

tim

Runge 666

May 31, 2012, 2:46:14 PM5/31/12
Brrrr dread the trip report...
In Germany it's Sparkasse not kassa.

"tim...." <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : a2pkgk...@mid.individual.net...

Gerrit

Jun 1, 2012, 3:23:59 AM6/1/12

"tim...." <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
I have two credit cards. One of them I load up with cash before leaving home
and so can use it as a debit card. The other I use for normal transactions.
Works for me.
I hope this 50 Euro limit is not applicable in the Netherlands or in Canada
(going there in August and September).

Gerrit - Oz

Message has been deleted

Jesper Lauridsen

Jun 1, 2012, 4:46:17 AM6/1/12
On Thu, 31 May 2012 11:56:01 +0100, "tim...."
<tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Then I noticed a sticker on it stating that "VISA" were restricting
> withdrawals to 50E.

> Is it just this particular bank (Sparkassa) or a general rule?

I took 260 Euro out on my Visa in Berlin 12/5.

Gerrit

Jun 2, 2012, 2:44:01 AM6/2/12

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> It certainly doesn't apply to UK.
>
>>(going there in August and September).
>
> Your annual pilgrimage to Pernis? :-)
>

>>Gerrit - Oz
> --
>
> Martin

Actually don't go there often.
As you are no doubt aware there isn't much to see there. I'm glad my folks
fled to Australia.
Going to see my wife's father (94) and then on to Canada for a wedding
anniversary celebration with all the kids. One lives in Sweden, 3 in Canada
and 1 in Oz. They will all be in Ontario for the event.

Gerrit - Oz

Runge 666

Jun 2, 2012, 4:58:14 AM6/2/12
Here we go and the trip report hasn't even been posted.

"Martin" <m...@address.invalid> a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : 4qvgs7pm7iehe42il...@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:23:59 +0800, "Gerrit" <s...@for.you> wrote:
>

> It certainly doesn't apply to UK.
>
>>(going there in August and September).

David Horne

Jun 4, 2012, 8:11:51 PM6/4/12
tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "Erilar" <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote in message
> > "tim...." <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Was travelling back through Germany two days ago and because I had
[]
> >> Is it just this particular bank (Sparkassa) or a general rule?
> >>
> >> tim
> >
> > Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in Kelheim:
> > the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM
> > and
> > had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is a
> > debit card. Could that be the difference?
>
> I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(

Tangentially, what bank are you using? I have fairfx euro, sterling and
dollar cards- while not as cheap as Nationwide (which was practically
free) when they had excellent rates, they're far cheaper than my regular
bank (RBS)- and I've found them very reliable, using them in various
European countries, USA and as far afield as India and Peru. The euro
card is particularly good value for me- the exchange rate has around
1.5-2% commission, and there's a €1.50 charge for cash withdrawals (I
take large amounts, e.g. 450 euro in Ghent over the weekend.) However,
when you use the card as a debit card for purchases in euro (or dollars)
when they are the local currency there is no charge. They are pre-paid
cards, so that's where much of the money is made I imagine (you get no
interest)- and they are very quick to charge, takes a few seconds
online, and the money is available in minutes.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

David Horne

Jun 4, 2012, 8:25:23 PM6/4/12
Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:23:59 +0800, "Gerrit" <s...@for.you> wrote:
[]
> >I have two credit cards. One of them I load up with cash before leaving home
> >and so can use it as a debit card. The other I use for normal transactions.
> >Works for me.
> >I hope this 50 Euro limit is not applicable in the Netherlands or in Canada
>
> It certainly doesn't apply to UK.

It seems a bit of a moveable feast in various countries. As I have a
pretty good value euro card, but with a ᅵ1.50 fee, I like to take out
large amounts when I travel. ATMs I tried in Spain limited me to ᅵ300 a
day, but other countries have been higher (and I haven't encountered one
lower, at least in euro-land.)

Runge 666

Jun 5, 2012, 12:51:37 AM6/5/12
Yes and those moules were awful weren't they you poor thing !

"David Horne" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> a ï¿œcrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : 1kl6yrf.1wy84uk19uxs6uN%d4g...@yahoo.co.uk...
> tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Erilar" <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote in message
> []

>> > Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in
>> > Kelheim:
>> > the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM
>> > and
>> > had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is
>> > debit card. Could that be the difference?
>>
>> I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(
>
> Tangentially, what bank are you using? I have fairfx euro, sterling and
> dollar cards- while not as cheap as Nationwide (which was practically
> free) when they had excellent rates, they're far cheaper than my regular
> bank (RBS)- and I've found them very reliable, using them in various
> European countries, USA and as far afield as India and Peru. The euro
> card is particularly good value for me- the exchange rate has around
> 1.5-2% commission, and there's a ᅵ1.50 charge for cash withdrawals (I
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

tim....

Jun 5, 2012, 7:35:41 AM6/5/12

"David Horne" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Erilar" <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote in message
> []

>> > Sounds local. In late April i encountered a similar problem in
>> > Kelheim:
>> > the hotel's card machine was not working, so since I had to use the ATM
>> > and
>> > had a week to go, I just asked it for 400 Euro. No problem. My VISA is
>> > debit card. Could that be the difference?
>>
>> I only get cash on a debit card - the fees on that are high enough :-(
>
> Tangentially, what bank are you using? I have fairfx euro, sterling and
> dollar cards- while not as cheap as Nationwide (which was practically
> free)

I have a nationwide card (and current account - which I use)

I was pretty peed off when they changed the arrangements for foreign
transactions.

As someone who is currently "unwaged" I have little hope of swapping to
another card - unless I lie on the form :-(

tim

David Horne

Jun 5, 2012, 7:45:12 AM6/5/12
Fairfx.com is prepaid, so you don't need a salary, or a credit score. I
got mine without charge as I started off with a large enough deposit. It
takes minutes to get one online, and the card arrives in a couple of
days.

I guarantee you it's cheaper than Nationwide as their charges currently
stand.

Also, they post details of transactions almost immediately... even when
still being processed. I had to recharge mine yesterday while in Ghent-
even on the ipod (the Ibis had free wifi) it took a a couple of minutes
to recharge it and the money was immediately available, despite being
warned it can take 2 hours.

Note to travellers, there are few ATMs in the historic centre of Ghent,
hence why the available ones have long lines...

tim....

Jun 5, 2012, 12:34:41 PM6/5/12

"David Horne" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
On Tuesday I drew out 250 Euro, which was debited from my account on
Thursday:

This cost 200.02 + 5 pounds in charges. = 207.02.

The Fairfax exchange rate on Friday was 1.2130 so 250 Euro = 206.10 plus 1.5
in charges = 207.60.

tim

David Horne

Jun 5, 2012, 1:21:08 PM6/5/12
Your figures don't seem right, I think you were charged 205.02. But yes,
fairfx wouldn't have saved you, though the rate I got for taking out 450
euro (rate was 1.22 when I charged) was about the same.

tim....

Jun 5, 2012, 2:26:59 PM6/5/12

"David Horne" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
Oops!

> But yes,
> fairfx wouldn't have saved you, though the rate I got for taking out 450
> euro (rate was 1.22 when I charged) was about the same.

ISTM that the Fairfax rate has the 2% "Visa" fee incorporated into its
exchange rate just like my credit card has.

But the NW debit card separates it out as a separate item

tim

David Horne

Jun 5, 2012, 4:31:42 PM6/5/12
tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> "David Horne" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
[]
> > But yes,
> > fairfx wouldn't have saved you, though the rate I got for taking out 450
> > euro (rate was 1.22 when I charged) was about the same.
>
> ISTM that the Fairfax rate has the 2% "Visa" fee incorporated into its
> exchange rate just like my credit card has.
>
> But the NW debit card separates it out as a separate item

I suppose the only 'advantage' is that if you want to gamble on currency
rates, you can preload the card...

But that works both ways.

Nomen Nescio

Jun 5, 2012, 6:47:37 PM6/5/12
"tim...." <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> ISTM that the Fairfax rate has the 2% "Visa" fee incorporated into
> its exchange rate just like my credit card has.
>
> But the NW debit card separates it out as a separate item

Mind if I ask why you're not using a Santandar Zero card? The Zero
card absorbs visa's fx fee, and charges nothing extra. I believe it's
the only way to get a non-lossy currency exchange from sterling (apart
from a couple other EEA-only options).

Tom P

Jun 6, 2012, 12:16:17 PM6/6/12
As far as I can make out, the problem is an on-going dispute between the
Sparkassen (savings banks) and co-op banks on one side and Visa on the
other about who pays the cost of the transactions. At one point the
savings banks did not accept Visa cards from other banks at all, but
since a high court ruling last year they are now obliged to do so. The
Sparkassen are presumably still dragging their feet by making life for
Visa customers as difficult as possible while still complying with the law.

tim....

Jun 6, 2012, 12:44:18 PM6/6/12

"Tom P" <wero...@freent.dd> wrote in message
OH.

I did drive around for half an hour looking for an alternative bank, and all
I found was three more of the same

(and before anyone asks: Brandenburg (an der Havel))

Tom P

Jun 6, 2012, 2:53:13 PM6/6/12
Mapquest shows three all a few blocks apart within walking distance -
Commerzbank, Deutsche Bank, Citibank.

tim....

Jun 7, 2012, 7:13:16 AM6/7/12

"Tom P" <wero...@freent.dd> wrote in message
but not something that I have access to when I'm driving around in my car
:-(

tim

Message has been deleted

tim....

Jun 7, 2012, 12:51:35 PM6/7/12

> Did you think of asking a local? I found six different banks, within
> walking distance of each other, with ATMs in the centre of Milan when
> I needed six times the daily limit, by asking locals in English.
> Sometimes having a car is major disadvantage.

The centre of Brandenburg is dead in the evening :-(

And how does extra banks work. On my card the limit for withdrawals is per
day, not an amount per withdrawal

tim

Message has been deleted

poldy

Jun 8, 2012, 3:07:42 AM6/8/12
In article <2g72t7hmhdaokbon2...@4ax.com>,
Martin <m...@address.invalid> wrote:

> When I did it in Italy, foreign transactions from various banks were
> only collated once every 24 hours during the night. What is on the
> card is the limit per transaction/day/bank. The bank owning the ATM
> will check if you have already had your limit from the that bank. It
> needs a bit more intelligence to collate information between banks.

I just drew 400 Euro from an ATM in Venice the other day.

Surprised because back in the day the limit used to be around $300.
Message has been deleted