Paldiski Estonia

1 view

Busschauffören

Jul 8, 2007, 5:27:52 AM7/8/07
Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:

http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski

//Hans

Doesn't Frequently Mop

Jul 8, 2007, 7:33:27 AM7/8/07
Make credence recognised that on Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:27:52 -0700,
Busschauffören <hans.fre...@home.se> has scripted:

>Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
>
>http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski

Wow, that's awesome!

Real end or the world, post-soviet stuff. So ugly, so depressing.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

tim.....

Jul 8, 2007, 7:52:11 AM7/8/07

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" <deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote in
message news:vuh193dh9uhf4pfib...@4ax.com...

> Make credence recognised that on Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:27:52 -0700,
> Busschauffören <hans.fre...@home.se> has scripted:
>
>>Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
>>
>>http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski
>
> Wow, that's awesome!
>
> Real end or the world, post-soviet stuff. So ugly, so depressing.

I was about to say, that when I was in Tallinn I took the
local railway to the end of (one of) the lines because
the guide book said that the town was of some interest.

When I got there, it was not at all of (normal) tourist interest
and it looked much the same as these pictures.

And then I realised that it IS the same place!

Unfortunately, I wasn't there long enough to find the real cute
things like this one:

http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski/paldiski54.jpg

or the view of the cliffs.

But I did find the absolutely disgusting toilets at the station
which the OP has neglected to include in his photos.

FWIW, I also went to the end of the other branch on this
line (Riisipere) and there is nothing there at all except for
a few houses and a soviet style shop. It was a nice place
for an hours walk whilst awaiting the return train, which
Paldiski is definately not.

tim

Gerald Oliver Swift

Jul 8, 2007, 7:59:44 AM7/8/07

Excellent photos - of a bygone era (!). Just for the benefit of others on
the group who may never have heard of Paldiski, I've snipped the following
from Wiki:-

"In 1962, Paldiski became a Soviet Navy nuclear submarine training centre.
With two land-based nuclear reactors, and employing some 16,000 people, it
was the largest such facility in the Soviet Union. Because of its
importance, the whole city was closed off with barbed wire until the last
Russian warship left in August 1994. Russia finally relinquished control of
the nuclear reactor facilities in September 1995. Now the town has only
4,000 inhabitants; amenities are limited to a supermarket, a hotel and a
small pub. Derelict Soviet-style apartment buildings make up much of the
town, and the relics of military occupation are widespread. For those
interested in such things, it is easily accessible from Tallinn, and
provides a grim and atmospheric feel, befitting its post-Soviet status".

Gerry

PS Your photos of Chernobyl are very interesting too!

Doesn't Frequently Mop

Jul 8, 2007, 9:27:04 AM7/8/07
Make credence recognised that on Sun, 8 Jul 2007 12:59:44 +0100,
Gerald Oliver Swift <gos...@hotmail.com> has scripted:

Some more info here:

http://www.inyourpocket.com/estonia/tallinn/feature/55718-paldiski.html

"If you’re looking for a day trip that’s… well… different, then
Paldiski’s your place. Before 1994, this little port town was a busy
Soviet military base, home to nuclear rockets and submarines, and at
one point, 16,000 military personnel. After the military had gone, the
population was drastically reduced (now hovering at about 4,200) and
Paldiski descended into a nightmarish state of decay."

I feel sorry I missed it now. It's the sort of stuff I love seeing.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Jul 8, 2007, 6:37:59 PM7/8/07
>> Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
>> http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski
> Wow, that's awesome!
> Real end or the world, post-soviet stuff. So ugly, so depressing.

Which town in Lanarkshire is it twinned with?

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Jack Campin - bogus address

Jul 8, 2007, 8:28:37 PM7/8/07
> Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
> http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski

This whole site is brilliant - somebody help him translate it!

tim.....

Jul 9, 2007, 6:53:52 AM7/9/07

"Jack Campin - bogus address" <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
>> http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski
>
> This whole site is brilliant - somebody help him translate it!

Do I assume by that comment that you think it is in Estonian?

It's in Swedish, so I'd be suprised that he can't do it himself.

Unfortunately, none of my (Swedish) resources can do more
than about 50%, they get stuck on the difficult constructs.

For example, none of them will translate "topphemlig" as
a single word, but if you split it into two it is "Top Secret"
and taking the whole sentence bit by bit:

"Paldiski i Estland topphemlig atomutbåtsbas under Sovjettiden"

You get:

Paldiski in Estonia Top Secret Atom(ic) Boat Base under Soviet times.

Shall I try some more?

tim

Jack Campin - bogus address

Jul 9, 2007, 9:30:13 AM7/9/07
>>> Pictures from Paldiski Estonia from my homepage:
>>> http://hem.bredband.net/hansfredriksson/paldiski
>> This whole site is brilliant - somebody help him translate it!
> Do I assume by that comment that you think it is in Estonian?

If so you assume wrong.

> It's in Swedish, so I'd be suprised that he can't do it himself.

He's only done a few captions bilingually, so I assume writing
English is not easy for him.

Doesn't Frequently Mop

Jul 9, 2007, 12:56:01 PM7/9/07
Make credence recognised that on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:30:13 +0100, Jack
Campin - bogus address <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> has scripted:

>>> This whole site is brilliant - somebody help him translate it!
>> Do I assume by that comment that you think it is in Estonian?
>
>If so you assume wrong.
>
>> It's in Swedish, so I'd be suprised that he can't do it himself.
>
>He's only done a few captions bilingually, so I assume writing
>English is not easy for him.

Or perhaps he's a bit shy or lazy about it.

I do agree though, it's a fascinating site. I love looking at this
stuff.

Kuskokwim

Jul 9, 2007, 1:53:04 PM7/9/07
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:27:52 -0700, Busschauffören wrote:

Even worse. Pictures from Detroit, USA:
http://www.white-history.com/hwrdet5.htm

Karl S

Jul 9, 2007, 1:58:39 PM7/9/07
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:27:52 -0700, Busschauffören wrote:

Just as bad. Gary, Indiana USA:
http://web.archive.org/web/20051127025029/www.growingchicago.com/images/othercities/mypicsVI/

Karl S

Jul 9, 2007, 2:00:12 PM7/9/07
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:27:52 -0700, Busschauffören wrote:

Detroit, USA reclaimed by nature:
http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=287

Busschauffören

Jul 9, 2007, 2:21:39 PM7/9/07
On 9 Juli, 18:56, Doesn't Frequently Mop

<deepfreudmoors@eITmISaACTUALLYiREAL!l.nu> wrote:
> Make credence recognised that on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:30:13 +0100, Jack
> Campin - bogus address <b...@purr.demon.co.uk> has scripted:

> >> Do I assume by that comment that you think it is in Estonian?
>
> >If so you assume wrong.
>
> >> It's in Swedish, so I'd be suprised that he can't do it himself.
>
> >He's only done a few captions bilingually, so I assume writing
> >English is not easy for him.
>
> Or perhaps he's a bit shy or lazy about it.
>
> I do agree though, it's a fascinating site. I love looking at this
> stuff.
> --
> ---
> DFM -http://www.deepfriedmars.com
> ---
> --

Yes, that was many theory about me. Right, I ám laza and maybe a bit
shy too.
One thing You can be sure about is that my knowledge in the English
language is limited. Not strange, that was 35 years ago I went to
school and I was not the best student i my class.
But I hope You can enjoy the photos anyway.
Regards
Hans

Doesn't Frequently Mop

Jul 9, 2007, 5:56:58 PM7/9/07
Make credence recognised that on Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:21:39 -0700,
Busschauffören <hans.fre...@home.se> has scripted:

>Yes, that was many theory about me. Right, I ám laza and maybe a bit

>shy too.
>One thing You can be sure about is that my knowledge in the English
>language is limited. Not strange, that was 35 years ago I went to
>school and I was not the best student i my class.
>But I hope You can enjoy the photos anyway.
>Regards
>Hans

We loved them Hans! You are bookmarked, so keep up the good work!

Keith Anderson

Jul 10, 2007, 2:36:14 AM7/10/07

That goes for me, too.

Keith, Bristol, UK

Lennart Petersen

Jul 14, 2007, 2:48:20 PM7/14/07

"tim....." <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> skrev i meddelandet

What about : Paldiski in Estonia, top secret nuclear submarine base under
the Soviet time.