I'm Back With a Tale to Tell

Joyce Rachelson

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
Got back late on Sunday from my 11 day Mercury repositioning to Alaska.

Quite a different experience than the one I had aboard the Mercury when
I sailed on the GGC. Hard to believe it was the same ship.

I will be doing a full review as well as a letter to Celebrity but
biggest areas for improvement would be as follows:

1. Embarkation. Captain's Club was completely ignored.

2. Disembarkation at ports. A free for all when ship is docked. Much
better when you have to tender into port.

3. Customer Relations Agents on ship. Absolutely the worst I have ever
encounted. Excuse was that they were new to the ship and to Alaska. So
What. No excuse for bad attitude.

4. Final disembarkation. An absolute farce. Got wrong information sent
to cabin and it took 4 trips to Customer Relations to get it
straightened out. We were taking a post cruise package including
transfers, that we booked through Celebrity, in Seattle. They had made
no arrangements to get us to our hotel and took us to Seatac airport
where they made us wait an hour before putting us on a Greyline bus back
into the city.

When a trip starts badly and ends badly its very hard to find the good
inbetween but there was lots of good things to remember. Meeting with
Jay and David in L.A. for dinner the night before the cruise and meeting
up with fellow rtc'ers and AOL Celebrity board denizens sure made for a
lot of laughs.

As soon as I can catch up at the office I'll write a review.

Joyce

--
"There are no problems, only opportunities for creative solutions"

The only foolish question is the one you're afraid to ask.

Piphy

Jun 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/1/99
>3. Customer Relations Agents on ship. Absolutely the worst I have ever
>encounted. Excuse was that they were new to the ship and to Alaska. So
>What. No excuse for bad attitude.

joyce,

i'm sorry to hear that there were so many disappointments on your cruise. i can
relate to the problems with the customer relations . when i was aboard the
zenith last year to bermuda everything was perfect, everyone was soooo helpful
and pampering, that is except the girl at customer relations. when i went to
the desk to ask one simple question there were no other passengers around (so
it's not as if she had a line of people or was being overworked or pressured).
the girl was just standing there behind the desk. when i asked my question she
was horribly rude, didn't answer my question, and acted as if i had alot of
nerve for disturbing her. it reminded me of the treatment you can get sometimes
in really snobby stores. where the "sales" people act as if you are bothering
them by just walking through the door. it's really a shame how the bad attitude
of a few can tarish an otherwise perfect time.

gael epiphany (cruise addict in training)

Ed Wynn

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Welcome home, Joyce. Will be waiting for you complete review. Certainly
does not sound like the ship we were on in December with the GGC gang.

Ed in Las Vegas

Jan ray 2

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Hi Joyce,

Welcome Back!

Sorry you had some difficulties on Celebrity. The three times we sailed with
them, were terrifc. Only downer was the trip out of NYC to Bermuda, where it
seemed that everyone in front of us at embarkation was filling out their
paperwork when they got to the head of the line. I'm sure Alaska engendered
enough happy memories to still make it a good cruise. We look forward to your
review.

Ray-Jan
To live, or not
To cruise, or not
Sometimes the choice is easy.

>From: Joyce Rachelson <JRac...@concentric.net>

>Got back late on Sunday from my 11 day Mercury repositioning to Alaska

>I will be doing a full review as well as a letter to Celebrity but
>biggest areas for improvement would be as follows: <<snipped>>

Remember, (from your sig)

>"There are no problems, only opportunities for creative solutions"

>>Joyce

Amaretto

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Just curious ... does anyone know if the captains were switched again?

The reports for the Mercury were abysmal right before the GGC (waiters
talking to each other and ignoring customers, rude staff, etc.) but I
didn't notice these things when we sailed. I wondered if the change in
personnel had anything to do with the change in captains prior to GGC.

It used to be that the Century was the Celebrity ship with all the rave
reviews, but I've seen a lot of complaints about her in the last six
months. And now, the Mercury.

I don't know if I'm putting too much stock into these management
theories ... but it's interesting.

Mary Hamill

Joyce Rachelson wrote:

> Got back late on Sunday from my 11 day Mercury repositioning to Alaska.
>
> Quite a different experience than the one I had aboard the Mercury when
> I sailed on the GGC. Hard to believe it was the same ship.
>

> I will be doing a full review as well as a letter to Celebrity but
> biggest areas for improvement would be as follows:
>

> 1. Embarkation. Captain's Club was completely ignored.
>
> 2. Disembarkation at ports. A free for all when ship is docked. Much
> better when you have to tender into port.
>

> 3. Customer Relations Agents on ship. Absolutely the worst I have ever
> encounted. Excuse was that they were new to the ship and to Alaska. So
> What. No excuse for bad attitude.
>

> 4. Final disembarkation. An absolute farce. Got wrong information sent
> to cabin and it took 4 trips to Customer Relations to get it
> straightened out. We were taking a post cruise package including
> transfers, that we booked through Celebrity, in Seattle. They had made
> no arrangements to get us to our hotel and took us to Seatac airport
> where they made us wait an hour before putting us on a Greyline bus back
> into the city.
>
> When a trip starts badly and ends badly its very hard to find the good
> inbetween but there was lots of good things to remember. Meeting with
> Jay and David in L.A. for dinner the night before the cruise and meeting
> up with fellow rtc'ers and AOL Celebrity board denizens sure made for a
> lot of laughs.
>
> As soon as I can catch up at the office I'll write a review.
>
> Joyce
>
> --

> "There are no problems, only opportunities for creative solutions"

PegNDerek

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Hi Mary,

Funny you should mention that.......

Yes, the Master of the Mercury for the voyage that Joyce was on was
indeed the same fellow who took the Mercury for a short time before
Captain Andrianatos returned, and he was indeed on the Century for a
few months. He is now regarded as a "replacement" Master, taking over
various ships while the other Captain is on vacation, and moving
around relatively rapidly, every 2-3 or sometimes 4 months. He will
(mercifully??) soon be transferred to France for the Millenium. He
got married in February, but it doesn't seem that wedded bliss has
affected his temper or the "severe" way that he runs the ship. He is
especially hard on the senior staff, which has a definite trickle down
effect.

The current Master of the Century is Captain Ioannis Papanikolaou, one
of the best, and certainly one of the most hospitable! He has been on
the Zenith for the past three years, and while everyone likes Captain
Mike (current Master of the Zenith) very much, even the crew still
enquire after news of Captain Ioannis!

Cheers,

Peg

Doctor Midnight

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
One thing about Celebrity,, the Bitch's at he front desks.I steered
clear. I was told they were all sleeping with the officer's so they can
treat the passengers anyway they want with no repercussions.

Ruth
Malachi 3:10

Charles

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99

Doctor Midnight <RL1...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> One thing about Celebrity,, the Bitch's at he front desks.I steered
> clear. I was told they were all sleeping with the officer's so they can
> treat the passengers anyway they want with no repercussions.

Do you always believe or repeat gossip? It sounds like a mean slander to me.
And such lovely language you use.

Aren't you the one who expects to find bibles the cabin? Should I be
astounded that a supposedly religious person would post such mean spirited
stuff? One thing about Celebrity indeed,. More like the many things it tells
about you.

You can consider this a flame.

Doctor Midnight

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
The Century was wonderful, just those Babes at the front desk,N.G.

Ruth
Malachi 3:10

Dan Bonham

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Doctor Midnight wrote:

> One thing about Celebrity,, the Bitch's at he front desks.I steered
>
> Snipped
>
> Ruth
> Malachi 3:10

Interesting comment! Meant to be an angina with the sig line you use???

Amaretto

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Peg,

I knew that you would know! I knew that you were friends with some of
the captains, and hoped that the problem captain (if there was one)
wasn't one of your friends.

Mary

PegNDerek

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

Derek and I are friends with all of the Captains--including the one in
question here. It's just that he is very difficult, and we
acknowledge it along with everyone else--even the other Captains have
quite a bit to say about this fellow, especially after he smashed up
the Master's Office on the Horizon during a particularly violent
tamtrum some years ago! He tells anyone who will listen (and is in a
position to do something about it) that he will quit if they ever
assign him to Alaska again..... Celebrity keeps sending him to
Alaska...and even with the "demotion" to replacement Captain, he is
still with the Line. Perhaps being sent to France to a ship that
isn't even built yet will have the "desired" effect!!! <VBG> BTW, he
will *not* be the Master who brings the Millenium out when she is
completed!

Cheers,

Peg

Amaretto

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Oooh! I love getting the inside scoop! Thanks Peg.

Mary

Tina Johnson

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
I did the same repositioning on the Galaxy last year and it was just
as bad. But I have been on the Galaxy since..San Juan Southern
Caribbean in January and it was perfect..i think these repositinings
may be a chance for Celebrity to make any changes that need to be done
and have the passengers that are getting a deal on the repositionings
suffer the changes as the seasons shift. Just a thought...I'll know
for sure after my upcoming transat on the Century.

Tina in Houston

On Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:31:04 GMT, Amaretto <amar...@home.com> wrote:

>Just curious ... does anyone know if the captains were switched again?
>
>The reports for the Mercury were abysmal right before the GGC (waiters
>talking to each other and ignoring customers, rude staff, etc.) but I
>didn't notice these things when we sailed. I wondered if the change in
>personnel had anything to do with the change in captains prior to GGC.
>
>It used to be that the Century was the Celebrity ship with all the rave
>reviews, but I've seen a lot of complaints about her in the last six
>months. And now, the Mercury.
>
>I don't know if I'm putting too much stock into these management
>theories ... but it's interesting.
>
>Mary Hamill

Tom Gauldin

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Peg, as a person who has had to have "brief, painful discussions" with
employees in the past, I'm surprised that any employer would put up
with such a person. He MUST have some qualities that outstrip his
failings. I wonder if he may be used by the line to "shock and
restart" situations that they see deteriorating.

--
Tom Gauldin, Raleigh NC
ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/pub/users/scoundrl/gauldin.htm

PegNDerek <caldw...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

Warren H. Davis

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Bottom line: Service quality should be consistent no matter who is in
command of the ship, especially on a cruise line that markets themselves
as upscale.

Warren

In article <7j5v9b$e4j$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,

"Tom Gauldin" <scou...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Peg, as a person who has had to have "brief, painful discussions" with
> employees in the past, I'm surprised that any employer would put up
> with such a person. He MUST have some qualities that outstrip his
> failings. I wonder if he may be used by the line to "shock and
> restart" situations that they see deteriorating.
>
> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Charles

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

Amaretto <amar...@home.com> wrote in message

> Oooh! I love getting the inside scoop! Thanks Peg.

Thanks for posting gossip? If this Captain is such a problem, why would
Celebrity continue to employ him? Is there a Captains' union that protects
him? Peg says she is friends with all the Captains, including this one. Some
friend.

PegNDerek

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Hi Tom,

Yes, he does have major qualities that outstrip his failings--he is a
superb Navigator and a highly experienced ship's Master! I don't
think Celebrity puts him on ships to "shock and restart", but it
certainly makes the crews a whole lot more appreciative when the next
Master comes on board. For the time being, they seem to be placing
him on various ships for only a few months at a time. I do not know
if he is protected by the Greek Seamen's Union in some way, but he
might be--and their rules are undoubtedly very complicated. Celebrity
has out-right fired two Masters that I know of, and both for reasons
of navigation errors, one that might have resulted in damage to the
ship and one that did result in damage (albeit minor) to the ship.

Cheers,

Peg

DavidMagat

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
>Subject: Re: I'm Back With a Tale to Tell
>From: caldw...@pipeline.com (PegNDerek)
>Date: 6/3/99 8:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>Hi Tom,
>
>Yes, he does have major qualities that outstrip his failings--he is a
>superb Navigator and a highly experienced ship's Master! I don't
>think Celebrity puts him on ships to "shock and restart", but it
>certainly makes the crews a whole lot more appreciative when the next
>Master comes on board. For the time being, they seem to be placing
>him on various ships for only a few months at a time. I do not know
>if he is protected by the Greek Seamen's Union in some way, but he
>might be--and their rules are undoubtedly very complicated. Celebrity
>has out-right fired two Masters that I know of, and both for reasons
>of navigation errors, one that might have resulted in damage to the
>ship and one that did result in damage (albeit minor) to the ship.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peg

I was on the recently completed 11-day cruise and let's see . . . as far as
being a good navigator, I wonder. Now these two incidents could have been the
faults of the harbor pilots, but . . . the ship required TWO attempts to dock
in San Francisco, and on the night we left Ketchican, the ship must have been
making a turn to the port side in strong winds when it listed to starboard so
much, things fell off our table and desk counter in our cabin, and our bed slid
about 18 inches while we were in it. In the previous 9 cruises I have taken,
I've never seen anything like this before.

DavidMagat

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Exactly.

>Subject: Re: I'm Back With a Tale to Tell

>From: Warren H. Davis <wh...@uccfs01.ucc.nyu.edu>
>Date: Thu, 03 June 1999 10:30 AM EDT

Bob Forrest

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Hey, Mary,

Thanks to an intro from PegNDerek, we too are friends with Captain
Ioannis; we just got home yesterday after 12 glorious days with him
in the Mediterranean... He really is Master of the Celebrity
"Century", and gets involved with many of the problems that people
have been experiencing with "guest relations", the "tour desk", etc.
One could only hope that some of the frustrations that folks have
been experiencing will be addressed more directly from now on, since
all the top management was on board for our cruise, and they heard
firsthand from the Captain about some of the "front desk"
shortcomings that we have all dealt with from time to time. It
might have been just for our benefit (I doubt it), but we were privy
to several phone calls immediately following "failures" on our
cruise, where terms like "heads will roll" and "I'll see you in my
office in an hour" were uttered at higher than normal volumes by
some of the heavy power from "the Miami Group". My impression is
that the corporate effort to maximize passenger comfort is a genuine
one, and that they intend to implement changes ASAP, until reality
matches the promise of their "Simply the Best" ads.

Best,

Forrest

PegNDerek wrote in message <3755b868...@news.pipeline.com>...
|Hi Mary,

---------snip--------

Amaretto

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
I'm inclined to think that a captain should be the boat pilot, period
... or perhaps have authority of the ships engineering as well. Let's
face it, the cruise lines should be looking for the best navigator.
Since the operational people also report to the captain, a captain with
excellent technical skills and poor people skills can hurt the ship's
reputation.

I work at a place where the most technically competent people get
promoted as a reward for good work. The problem is that most of these
guys (and gals) make horrible managers.

Mary Hamill

PegNDerek wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Yes, he does have major qualities that outstrip his failings--he is a
> superb Navigator and a highly experienced ship's Master! I don't
> think Celebrity puts him on ships to "shock and restart", but it
> certainly makes the crews a whole lot more appreciative when the next
> Master comes on board. For the time being, they seem to be placing
> him on various ships for only a few months at a time. I do not know
> if he is protected by the Greek Seamen's Union in some way, but he
> might be--and their rules are undoubtedly very complicated. Celebrity
> has out-right fired two Masters that I know of, and both for reasons
> of navigation errors, one that might have resulted in damage to the
> ship and one that did result in damage (albeit minor) to the ship.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peg

Charles

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99

> I'm inclined to think that a captain should be the boat pilot, period
> ... or perhaps have authority of the ships engineering as well. Let's
> face it, the cruise lines should be looking for the best navigator.
> Since the operational people also report to the captain, a captain with
> excellent technical skills and poor people skills can hurt the ship's
> reputation.

Someone has to be in charge, it had better be the Captain. He better be more
than a "boat pilot" too. A ship can have thousands of lives aboard, and can
not be in the charge of other than operational people. I am sure the cruise
lines can find Captains who have both technical and people skills, because I
have met such Captains. The problem with Celebrity is not the Captains but
with a culture that is not people orientated. That is why the front desk and
other staff people seem to have shortcomings. I could see a definite
difference on RCI and Princess ships. A more people orientated culture and
cruise staff. By this I do not mean singing waiters or more announcements.
The cold culture on Celebrity can be fixed by RCI without changing the food,
the decor, the Celebrity brand or other things that people like about
Celebrity. It can be done without changing most of staff.

Benjamin Smith

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
On Thu, Jun 3, 1999 7:19 PM, Charles <mailto:fo...@his.com.nospam> wrote:
> The problem with Celebrity is not the Captains but
>with a culture that is not people orientated. That is why the front desk
and
>other staff people seem to have shortcomings. I could see a definite
>difference on RCI and Princess ships. A more people orientated culture and
>cruise staff. By this I do not mean singing waiters or more announcements.
>The cold culture on Celebrity can be fixed by RCI without changing the
food,
>the decor, the Celebrity brand or other things that people like about
>Celebrity. It can be done without changing most of staff.

Two things. This post is not in the spirit of the original poster who said
that the second Mercury cruise was unlike the first. Not seeming like the
same ship. As far as I know Charles comes to this conclusion based on one
cruise with Celebrity.

Next issue: I've amassed a lot of information on various cruise lines. I
have read lots of comments, opinions and reviews from various review sites.
To counter Charle's notion I offer a sampling from cruiseopinion:

Quotes from different reviewers at
http://www.cruiseopinion.com/celebrity-mercury9.htm

Quote 1:
Hello, Cruisers! Finally back from a stay-cation in Palm Beach immediately
following our Feb. cruise so ... sorry so belated!
Last year Mom, sister Susan & myself sailed another cruiseline so we did
have something to measure our Mercury cruise to.
(I won't even use the word "compare" here!) But it would be the first
cruise for Brother-in-law (Joe) and two of Mom's friends
(late 30's-early 40's). For starters, we booked our own air with USAirways
and our arrival at Ft. Lauderdale Terminal proved
quite eventful, as my sister had her carryon snatched from right under her
as we waited at the carousel to retrieve our
baggage. A multi-person on-foot pursuit ensued through the terminal & up an
escalator until the little punk was tackled by a
nice, BIG guy right at the exit doors! Meanwhile, simultaneously, we were
being paged and here Joe's duffel bag had
somehow gotten caught in a conveyor or what have you and that thing was
TOTALED! I'm talking one of those big red
Marlborough bags here. Incredible. So while Mom & Sister are filling out
forms for the police, Joe & I are at USAir's office and
we could not BELIEVE the gorgeous, still-in-the-wrapper, HUGE yellow duffel
bag the folks at USAir presented to Joe. Matter
of fact, Joe merely took the mess, shambles & contents of his bag & plopped
it right into the new one -- with room to spare!!
(If any of you have ever seen those big red 'Marlborough' bags, you can
probably get the idea here. Once onboard the
Mercury, Joe instructed their room steward to just chuck it, as it wouldn't
fit into the trashcan and on the 5th night, that thing
was actually returned sewn and in flawless condition!!! Even CLEAN &
SPOTLESS! He could not BELIEVE it!! While Mom &
Sue were filling out the forms to press charges or what have you, the
policemen came down several times to update Joe & I,
also asking us what arrangements we had to get to the ship. We stated that
we just intended to hop a cab, easy enough, as
we booked our own air. Here comes a Celebrity representative anyway and,
after excusing himself for a few brief moments,
returning not to leave our sides for one second until we were all in cabs
and HE HAD PAID AND TIPPED THEM!!! We didn't
even HAVE Celeb's transfers, for crying out loud!! How Celebrity, USAirways
and the fine Policemen at FLL Terminal
simultaneously collaborated to turn a PAIR of potential sure fire
discouraging downers into the most incredible display of
wonderfulness (for lack of a better word here) had us feeling even better,
probably, than had those freak occurrences not
even taken place!! 'Incredibly impressed before not even leaving the
terminal' is more like it!

Quote 2:

We have sailed on both the Royal Carribean and Norweigan Cruise Lines;
however agree that Celebrity is our
favorite. The ship was sparkling clean and the staff attentive to all of
our needs.

From http://www.cruiseopinion.com/celebrity-mercury8.htm

Quote 3:

Not one members of the staff and crew was anything but warm, cordial and
very helpful throughout
the trip.

Quote 4:

What a fantastic vacation. This was our very first cruise, and I can most
definitely say wont be our last. The Mercury is a
beautiful ship. It is very well maintained, and the staff we dealt with
were terrific.

All of these were chosen to present a point of view. There are contrasting
views as well and some may support the "not people oriented" position
Charles holds. But none of these are line specific because each line has
similar stories both pro and con that line.

I think the "lesson" of the original poster is that a ship and crew can
differ drastically from one sailing to another within a fairly short period
of time. Therefore why draw (a) conclusion(s) about a line based on one
experience? Even still we haven't heard the details of the cruise, problems
listed dealt with getting on and off and a post cruise package.

Distinct impressions I get of Celebrity is that they promote their product
as a premium mass market product to the same degree as their main
competitors, Holland America and Princess. I think that they run a strict
ship and that management on these ships does not put up with as much
slackening behavior as some other lines and that perhaps they are expected
to do more. This may, from time to time, surface and be reflected in the
demeanour of some of the staff. HAL is very similar in their demands on the
staff, but I get the feeling that HAL may not be quite as strict.

In terms of consistency I have found few threads to support that any line
is more or less consistent than any other regardless of market placement.
Any sense that a service product should be consistent is only an ideal and
not something that is 100% in any product. No conclusions can be reached
about any product or brand unless some sort of exhaustive study is done and
comparisions can then be made to see how they rank in the industry.

As for posters, a common perception is, as Bert brought out in another
thread, that most lines have had their quality compromised in some way or
another from past eras. I don't know how much of this is attributable to
"romanticizing" aspects of past eras or a general slip in standards across
the board in many service industries.

Ben Smith
be...@ix.netcom.com

Charles

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99

Benjamin Smith <be...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> Two things. This post is not in the spirit of the original poster who
said
> that the second Mercury cruise was unlike the first. Not seeming like the
> same ship. As far as I know Charles comes to this conclusion based on one
> cruise with Celebrity.

It definitely should be taken into consideration that I have taken only one
cruise with Celebrity. Unfortunately the experience was not enough to
convince me to run out and book Celebrity again right away. It was also not
an experience that would make me say I would never book Celebrity again.
There were a number of posts in the thread that had a common theme, dislike
for front desk staff, cruise staff etc. They were similar to my impression
of the staff. In addition to some of the quotes of yours I have met several
people on my other cruises that really liked Celebrity as well as some who
were disappointed. I took cruises on other lines before and after my cruise
on the Mercury, and it stood out to me that there was a difference between
the staff on the Mercury and the staff on the Grandeur and Grand Princess.
But as you say this could have been that week, that ship. As everyone has
different tastes, the way the staff treats guests may be of less importance
or even no importance to other cruisers than other factors. Also now that it
is getting to be a few years since that cruise, the ships staff has probably
turned over. The new ownership has been in control now for several years. A
cruise lines may as you mention lose quality over time but also it may
improve its quality. More weight should probably be given to more recent
reviews. Reviews and opinions expressed here should not be regarded as
gospel. I think barring a disaster, or unusual passenger makeup, like 500
Brazilian teenagers running amuck, if you cruise any of the mass market
lines, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, HAL, RCI, Princess you will have a pretty
good vacation and you will want to cruise again.

Benjamin Smith

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
On Fri, Jun 4, 1999 8:57 PM, Lee Lindquist <mailto:dont...@junk.com>
wrote:
>On 4 Jun 99 17:13:44 -0400, "Benjamin Smith" <be...@ix.netcom.com>
>wrote:

>>Two things. This post is not in the spirit of the original poster who
said
>>that the second Mercury cruise was unlike the first. Not seeming like the
>>same ship. As far as I know Charles comes to this conclusion based on one
>>cruise with Celebrity.
>
>Even if true, that's one more than some folks
>base opinions that are expressed here.

"Some folks" is vague. I like when people are direct.

These are some of the principles that guide my way of thinking.

*First hand experiences may or may not represent the usual experience,
which are a range anyway [such as out of 250 reviews 25% reported such and
such about the line]. (The more experiences one has the more range of
experiences one posesses. At any rate they should always be put in context
and there are sometimes strings of similar experiences that can be outside
of the "normal range" although what usually occurs is a measure of
dissimilarity with more experiences with the "entity" (in this case cruise
line.))
*Opinions are not gospel and often are clouded by personal tastes.
*Conclusions about anything should not be based on opinions but on as large
a body of information as possible - there are cases where conclusions can
be paradoxes or not obtainable (too little info, change of conditions,
etc).

I tend to base my feedback to people regarding cruises by attempting to
establish their cruise profile or type or outright asking them what it is
and then offering common themes I've found of a range of experiences both
pro and con as to what is *reported* as often encountered aboard the
cruises from research. These will be more general and must be less specific
than those that have first hand experience with the line. But the first
principle I list still applies. I think the people who have the most
informed information about a line take frequent cruises with that line and
are fairly current which are not giving their opinions so much as reporting
on specific aspects of the line that address consistency. This is the
beginning of addressing consistency and guaging qualities of the line.

What often happens when one asks about a line on rtc is that they get
wildly conflicting opinions about the line and end up being more confused
than before posting - this has been expressed to me in email plenty of
times.

I offer little of my opinions about cruiseships on rtc and I think some
people familiar with my posts realize this.

If you think one can not engage in informed discussions about the various
cruise lines, their cruise ships, and some aspects of the style of cruise
they offer unless they have first hand experience then all information
anyone presents about historical events past the human age life span are
invalid.

Ben Smith
be...@ix.netcom.com

Doctor Midnight

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
We brought 96 Bibles on board with us. It didn't help the people at the
front desk,
The captain was a delight.

Ruth
Malachi 3:10

Doctor Midnight

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Consider it the TRUTH!

Ruth
Malachi 3:10

CupCaked

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 21:48:22 -0400 (EDT), RL1...@webtv.net (Doctor
Midnight) wrote:

>We brought 96 Bibles on board with us. It didn't help the people at the
>front desk,
>The captain was a delight.

Maybe he was the only one who didn't read it?

Dan Bonham

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
You are certainly an interesting person Ruth! Perhaps the Bibles would
have been more effective without the toilet mouth you seem to have!
While you are pushing those Bibles you may want to crack one open and
sneak a peak at what is inside.

Dan <--- Thinks Ruth and Doctor Midnight are sharing the same body!

Doctor Midnight wrote:

> We brought 96 Bibles on board with us. It didn't help the people at the
> front desk, The captain was a delight.
>

> Ruth
> Malachi 3:10

Doctor Midnight

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Dearest Daniel:
I'm sorry if my use of the word for a female dog offended you. I should
have written "beast's". I'm sure I'm not the only person who was treated
rude and with an unpleasant attitude from the woman at the "Guest
relations" desk.
Daniel 4:2

Ruth
Malachi 3:10

Dan Bonham

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Although it is far from my character to quote scripture without request,
I will make exception since you wish to try and explain your trash talk
with the "Female Dog" routine. I feel fairly certain your were not
discussing canine customer relations personnel. Mat 15:11 "Not that
which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of
the mouth, this defileth a man."

You see, I too am versed in the Bible. Your use of the word did not
offend me. Your pompous Bible Thumping backed up by street trash
language simply intrigued me. If you want to talk the talk, you must
remember to walk the walk! The gist of my first post was "Take your
religion to church with you (where hopefully your mouth is a bit more
guarded) and stop cramming it down peoples throats while behaving in a
vulgar manner."

Dan <---- Believes what you do speaks louder than what you preach!