Park West Auction question/comment

j coulter

May 8, 2002, 6:01:31 PM5/8/02
I won a print at the final auction on our Explorer of the Seas cruise,
waited my 6-8 weeks to receive it and, surprise, no print. I called Park
West the young lady who tok my call said she didn't have the paperwork. I
said I had mine. She asked for the Artist, Tarkai (sp?) and my address and
said it will be there in 2-3 weeks.

Question has to do with odds of receiving this "free" print. Comment she
gave it up pretty easy for a "valuable" piece of art. I am not expe ting a
great piece of art but wondering what if anything I will get at this point.

Anyone with experience in Park West dealing reading these days?

J Coulter

sue and kevin mullen

May 8, 2002, 6:31:15 PM5/8/02

The artist is Tarkay and I like his work.

We have dealt with Park West and will only buy from them at a land
auction, where I carry my artwork home with me. We have bought quite a
bit of artwork from them and they have some very good artwork(no flames
please, I know a lot of you do not think much of art auctions).

Two times we bought a piece of art from them and we did not recieve it.
Both times we wound up with a credit on our mastercard, so we were not
out any money. The second time, we had bought the artwork at a very low
price and we thing that they might of gotten a better offer at a later
time.

I do not know if you will or will not get your free artwork. Keep after
them and who knows what will happern. Let me know what happens.

Sue

p.s. we got started on our art collection when we won a free painting at
an art auction at sea.

Eddie Allen

May 8, 2002, 7:30:29 PM5/8/02
We won a free piece of art (Whoopee cost me thirty five dollars to have it
shipped, received a 5"x24" tube of paper)last Nov. We received it approx 6
weeks later. When I got the paper work with the guarantee of the work, I
could not read it and called them. They sent me the replacement paperwork
within 2 days.
"j coulter" <225st...@NOSPAMattbi.com> wrote in message

sue and kevin mullen

May 8, 2002, 7:59:12 PM5/8/02
When we won our free piece of art we carried it off the ship. Since Park
West ships all the art, they should pay for the shipping if they give
you a freebie.

Sue

Travlmapa

May 8, 2002, 8:14:23 PM5/8/02
We have dealt with Park West at Sea twice and have purchased artwork and have
been very pleased with the entire service. We do, however, live in Michigan
just 1/2 hour from the Land gallery so we have priced things ahead of time. We
do love Tarkay, and have purchased several of his pieces, but back to the
subject, hopefully you will receive your piece soon. I am sorry you have had
this experience with Park West. They are usually pretty timely and forthright.

DEE
Live and Love to travel.

BThorn1108

May 8, 2002, 8:22:54 PM5/8/02
My boss has bought some Peter Max prints on 3 seperate cruises and each time
has had to return them because they were not framed to his specifications. In
the end, he did get exactly what he wanted, at no additional cost to him.
However, it was a very time consuming process. On the upside, he feels he has
gotten some wonderful bargains.

Sherry Lowe

May 8, 2002, 8:26:28 PM5/8/02
My Husband and Mother-In-Law one a free print from Park East. We had also
purchased one so the freebies were delivered free with the other in a timely
manner. Hopefully this is a mistake and you will get yours....
Sherry

"j coulter" <225st...@NOSPAMattbi.com> wrote in message

Jean

May 8, 2002, 8:29:15 PM5/8/02
We had bought a signed Hanna & Barbera cel when on the QE2 in October 2000. I
actually just got around to having it frame this past Christmas, when I
discovered I didn't have the COA. About a week after I called them, I had it
in my hands...she looked it up without any problems. Still can't figure out
why it didn't come in the original shipment.

But I'm happy to report that the value went up $400! (if those COA's can be
believed)

Jean

June

May 8, 2002, 9:57:49 PM5/8/02
Howdy neighbor. I'm in New Baltimore.

June

"Travlmapa" <trav...@aol.com> wrote in message

Paul Schilter

May 9, 2002, 5:37:44 AM5/9/02
Travlmapa,
Where in Michigan is the Land Gallery?
Paul <-----Rochester MI

Travlmapa

May 9, 2002, 10:11:59 AM5/9/02
The Park West gallery here is on Northwestern in Southfield.

Dee <---------Rochester Mi

>Travlmapa,
> Where in Michigan is the Land Gallery?
>Paul <-----Rochester MI

Travlmapa

May 9, 2002, 10:14:56 AM5/9/02
The pieces we bought the first time, have all nearly doubled in value. The
others we just bought and received, so we shall see.
Dee

>But I'm happy to report that the value went up $400! (if those COA's can be
>believed)

Paul Schilter

May 9, 2002, 11:40:20 AM5/9/02
Travlmapa,
Well howdy neighbor and thanks for the info.
Paul

"Travlmapa" <trav...@aol.com> wrote in message

June

May 9, 2002, 7:52:25 PM5/9/02
Rochester -- I went to O.U.!

June

Travlmapa

May 9, 2002, 11:39:54 PM5/9/02
Small world, eh? And gets smaller everyday.
Dee

N. Parker

May 10, 2002, 12:38:41 PM5/10/02
I've been down a few bumpy roads with Park West - but in the end they
always come through for me. I recently went to have a piece framed
that I bought a year ago and realized that the one they sent me didn't
have a signature. It was my fault for not realizing it sooner - but
they quickly sent me a replacement (a more expensive one) and even
framed it for me for free.

I've learned that if you are nice and approach them with a "will you
please help me" attitude then you'll get a much better response from
them.

Travlmapa

May 10, 2002, 11:10:16 PM5/10/02

>I've been down a few bumpy roads with Park West - but in the end they
Nearly the same thing happened to us. We purchased a piece last year on a
cruise and while waiting to have it framed, my husband bent it and damaged it.
It was already insured according to the appraisal, so our insurance company was
going to pay to have it restored. We took it to the land gallery here, and they
were planning to restore it for us. Instead, they replaced it with another of
the same piece, which they had located in another state, AND framed it all for
FREE. I am not sure whether this is because we have purchased so many pieces or
what, but we certainly were pleased.

Dee

>always come through for me. I recently went to have a piece framed
>that I bought a year ago and realized that the one they sent me didn't
>have a signature. It was my fault for not realizing it sooner - but
>they quickly sent me a replacement (a more expensive one) and even
>framed it for me for free.

Charles

May 11, 2002, 5:28:47 AM5/11/02
In article <20020510231016...@mb-cq.aol.com>, Travlmapa
<trav...@aol.com> wrote:

> We took it to the land gallery here, and they were planning to
> restore it for us. Instead, they replaced it with another of the same
> piece, which they had located in another state,

This just confirms that what they are selling are decorations, not art.

--
Charles

June

May 11, 2002, 7:20:45 AM5/11/02
That's exactly what I was thinking, Charles.

June

"Charles" <fo...@his.com.remove.invalid> wrote in message

Tom & Linda

May 11, 2002, 7:36:50 AM5/11/02
Wrong term Charles. They are "COPIES" (albeit using sophisticated
processes vs. a Xerox color copier) of "ART". At the volumes they
reproduce, you can probably get 1000 copies for a few hundred dollars.
Maybe even 10,000 copies for the same price. The cost isn't in making
the 10,000. It's setting up to make the first one. Once you have the
"one time" cost... all it costs you is the dime per sheet of acid free
paper.

Both original pieces and reproductions can be considered decorations.

--Tom

Tom & Linda

May 11, 2002, 8:18:28 AM5/11/02
In a copy... there is really nothing to "restore".

The term restoration actually involves the coating of varnish that is
applied to an oil painting which is painted on canvas (or other
surface). The varnish is place on the finished painting about 6 months
after the painting is completed. Oil paint doesn't "dry" so much as it
"hardens" via an oxidation process (it needs light to harden/dry
properly). And the oil paints often need up to 6 months to harden/dry.
Then it can be varnished

The varnish used is actually intended to be soft and easily dissolved at
a later date. It's a "removable" varnish.

After a number of years, once the varnish yellows, accumulates dirt,
grime, etc., the old varnish is removed using solvents, and new varnish
is applied over what is again nice clean oil paint (which had been
protected by the original coat of varnish). This is called
RESTORATION. It can be done repeatedly to good/great paintings... but
it ain't cheap.

But this is ONLY done with original oil paintings... where the oil paint
has a coating of varnish to protect it. Water colors are not
varnished. Instead they are mounted under glass with a matting. Oil
paintings should NEVER be mounted under glass, since they would
basically rot and get mildew under the glass with all the oil in the
paint. They need to be exposed to the air to stay dry. I'm not sure
what's done with acrylic painted pieces.

But litho copies have nothing to restore. The have no paint. They are
only ink copies on paper. There was nothing to restore. They had to
give you a replacement. Just another of the thousands of copies that
they made. Aside from the frame, the cost to them for the extra piece
was probably about 10 cents. Unless they paid the artist a few bucks to
personally sign it.

--Tom

Travlmapa

May 11, 2002, 9:42:13 AM5/11/02
Wrong. This was a sero-lithograph which does have paint over the print. The
paint was cracked and flaking off where my husband bent and damaged it. It was
signed and numbered as one of 300 copies.
Dee

>But litho copies have nothing to restore. The have no paint. They are
>only ink copies on paper. There was nothing to restore. They had to
>give you a replacement

Tom & Linda

May 11, 2002, 10:18:51 AM5/11/02
OK so there's paint, but then there's nothing for the paint to properly
adhere to. Canvas is given a very specific "ground" that allows the oil
paint to bond. It starts with a rabbit skin glue/sizing, then an oil
based gesso (or simply acrylic gesso). The coefficient of expansion of
the (preferably) linen canvas is then similar to that of the oil paint
and ground. They expand and contract together on dry, cold, wet, or hot
days. Paper will not have anything for the paint to adhere to, and the
oil in the paint will eventually rot the paper - just like butter on a
newspaper. And even if it did stick for a while, the coefficient of
expansion of the paper is completely different from the paint, so as the
paper expands and contracts during different seasons, the paint will
fall off, or crack the paper anyway.

Plus... you shouldn't put real "paint" under glass, except for water
color paint.

If you bent a canvas oil painting, paint chips wouldn't fall off. In
fact they are often rolled up.

Signing your lithograph, and adding oil or acrylic paint would make it
more unique than simply one of 10,000 copies, but it's not a real
"painting" which could be restored. The solvents would immediately
destroy the ink and paper. In the end, all you'd be left with is a few
chips of "real" paint.

Next time... look for a gallery at one of the ports, and see if you can
buy a real painting (oil, acrylic or watercolor) by a local artist for a
reasonable price. Plus you would be supporting a real artist, not a
major corporation. You'll be helping him/her feed their family rather
than feeding the profit line of Park West. I remember going to Piazza
Navona in Rome which is an artist hang out. There were hundreds of
original paintings that you could buy for under $100. Some were
absolutely outstanding works. Look around.

A tip though... look for a painting done on linen canvas. It's more
expensive than cotton canvas for the artist, but it shows that the
artist cared enough about his painting to use the "best". Linen will
last hundreds of years, while cotton has a different coefficient of
expansion from oil paint, tends to "rot", and won't last for long.
Famous paintings on cotton canvas often have to have fallen chips of
paint glued back in place over time. And NEVER buy anything done on
paper except for true watercolor.

--Tom

June

May 11, 2002, 10:29:51 AM5/11/02
Copies of art IS decorations in my opinion.

June

"Tom & Linda" <TKAN...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Travlmapa

May 11, 2002, 11:00:54 AM5/11/02
I knew it was not a canvas original painting, and I didn't pay the price of
such a thing. It was always understood that it was a copy. I am not that
gullible. As I told you, we had already been to the Land gallery and were aware
of what pieces like this were worth. We have always paid less.
Also, I have bought original artwork in port by local artists. I have several
of those also hanging in my home. I have pen and ink, paintings on canvas and
photography as well as copies of prints.
I buy what I like. No matter where it may be.
Dee

>OK so there's paint, but then there's nothing for the paint to properly
>adhere to. Canvas is given a very specific "ground" that allows the oil
>paint to bond. I

Tom & Linda

May 11, 2002, 11:29:18 AM5/11/02
But so is art. I was saying BOTH are decorations.

--Tom

June

May 12, 2002, 7:47:05 AM5/12/02
OIC. Guess I misunderstood what you meant. Sorry.