Distances on St. Thomas, USVI

1 view

Sven Paulus

Aug 13, 2002, 11:55:25 AM8/13/02

I'm going to stay on the Virgin Islands for a few days in December. For
planning the trip I have a little question, may be someone can give me an
answer:

My plane arrives at 3pm in STT (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands). At 5pm the
last ferry for Tortola, British Virgin Islands, leaves from Charlotte
Amelie. Is there a chance to be able to catch this ferry?

Looking at the maps, the airport seems to be pretty close to Charlotte
Amelie. How long does it take to get from the airport to the harbor by taxi?
And how is STT airport organized? Is it comparable to a modern western
airport (i.e. it takes 20 minutes after you left the aircraft to pick up all
your luggage and go through customs) or do I have to calculate larger
amounts of time?

Thanks for a reply!

Sven

hamilton

Aug 13, 2002, 12:35:48 PM8/13/02

you should make it -- Charlotte Amelie is quick cab ride away -- doesn't
mean something won't happen -- but we were able to make the Red Hook Ferry
well within that time frame on two different trips and it is a long ride
to Red Hook from the Airport

Charlie Hammond

Aug 13, 2002, 1:41:03 PM8/13/02
In article <ajba5d$ool$1...@sapa.inka.de>,
Sven Paulus <sv...@karlsruhe.org> writes:

>My plane arrives at 3pm in STT (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands). At 5pm the
>last ferry for Tortola, British Virgin Islands, leaves from Charlotte
>Amelie. Is there a chance to be able to catch this ferry?

If your plane is on time and there are no other delays, you shoudl be O.K.
I suggest telling the taxi dispatcher and driver that you need to catch
the ferry. If time is a little tight, this may make the difference.

--
Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Pompano Beach FL USA
(hammond@not@peek.ppb.cpqcorp.net -- remove "@not" when replying)

hamilton

Aug 13, 2002, 2:17:33 PM8/13/02
In article <Pwb69.22$2i7.5...@news.cpqcorp.net>,
hammond@not@peek.ppb.cpqcorp.net wrote:

> In article <ajba5d$ool$1...@sapa.inka.de>,
> Sven Paulus <sv...@karlsruhe.org> writes:
>
> >My plane arrives at 3pm in STT (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands). At 5pm the
> >last ferry for Tortola, British Virgin Islands, leaves from Charlotte
> >Amelie. Is there a chance to be able to catch this ferry?
>
> If your plane is on time and there are no other delays, you shoudl be O.K.
> I suggest telling the taxi dispatcher and driver that you need to catch
> the ferry. If time is a little tight, this may make the difference.

especially since 'taxis' are really shuttles that wander about dropping
people here and there -- our shuttle/taxi did go to the Red Hook dock
first to catch a ferry before dropping people near that area -- so if they
know, they make the effort

be alert to the fact that these 'taxis' leave the airport when full which
may mean a 15 or 20 minutes wait just sitting outside the luggage area --
so make sure the dispatcher gets on your one one leaving right away

Charlie Hammond

Aug 13, 2002, 4:01:48 PM8/13/02

Just to be clear -- what all of the below says is that "distance" is not
the issue -- the logistics of getting your baggage and dealing with the
local, shared-ride (shuttel) taxis is. I would be prepared for the
possibility of overnighting in St Thomas, but I expect you won't have to.

Hi There!

Aug 14, 2002, 2:51:14 AM8/14/02
You really should have no problem arriving at the airport at 3pm and making
the 5pm ferry in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Pack light so you don't have
too many bags to wait for... that will help at the airport. The airport is
pretty small. When you get off the plane you'll walk for a bit outside and
then enter the terminal... pass up the lady handing out the rum drinks...
walk a tad farther and take a left. You will then enter the portion of the
terminal with the baggage belts. If you look above the belts, you will see
signs designating the airlines (these are usually correct).

The ferry terminal downtown is right across the street from the Holiday Inn
at the edge of Frenchtown. Should be 15 minutes max unless something
unusual is happening along the way (such as filling in our famous potholes!
NOT!) If you are taking a shared taxi, tell the driver you are going to the
downtown ferry terminal. They will probably not be dropping off any other
people before then anyway. Make sure you remember your passport for the
BVIs.

If you are really worried, you can make arrangements for the water taxi to
take you over to Tortola.

Relax and have a great time!
Sheila
Paradise Connections Yacht Charters
St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands
www.paradiseconnections.com

"Sven Paulus" <sv...@karlsruhe.org> wrote in message

JVR

Aug 14, 2002, 9:01:02 AM8/14/02
I'd allow an hour at the airport and a 10 minute cab ride to the ferry
dock. Don't depart from Red Hook.much more crowded

Jere Lull

Aug 14, 2002, 10:57:44 PM8/14/02

>"Sven Paulus" <sv...@karlsruhe.org> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm going to stay on the Virgin Islands for a few days in December. For
>>planning the trip I have a little question, may be someone can give me an
>>answer:
>>
>>My plane arrives at 3pm in STT (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands). At 5pm the
>>last ferry for Tortola, British Virgin Islands, leaves from Charlotte
>>Amelie. Is there a chance to be able to catch this ferry?
>>
>>Looking at the maps, the airport seems to be pretty close to Charlotte
>>Amelie. How long does it take to get from the airport to the harbor by
>>
>taxi?
>
>>And how is STT airport organized? Is it comparable to a modern western
>>airport (i.e. it takes 20 minutes after you left the aircraft to pick up
>>
>all
>
>>your luggage and go through customs) or do I have to calculate larger
>>amounts of time?
>>
>>Thanks for a reply!
>>
>>Sven
>>
>Hi There! wrote:
>You really should have no problem arriving at the airport at 3pm and making
>the 5pm ferry in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Pack light so you don't have
>too many bags to wait for... <snip>

>Relax and have a great time!
>Sheila
>Paradise Connections Yacht Charters

Packing light can not be emphasized enough. Even for an on-shore
vacation, if you can't carry everything onboard, you'll almost assuredly
come back with stuff you didn't use, and could have gotten by with less.
Not having to wait for luggage to be offloaded can easily save a half
hour whenever you have to go through Customs since you can saunter
straight to the head of the line. [and your luggage will never be "lost".]

We usually go down for 3 weeks, I have had a lot of camera gear (now
replaced by a digital with lots of memory cards) and take my SCUBA fins
(BIG) and mask. Everything fits in the overhead of the small planes into
Beef Island. I wear my "dress" clothes: Oxford shirt, khakis, hat,
jacket and sweat shirt (it's winter when we go), to look good to Customs
and Security. Once down, except possibly for one dinner where I wear the
same clothes, I live in my shorts, "T" shirts and swim suits. The girls
get a lot of mileage out of pareas (sp?) which have so many uses and
pack away to nothing. Jewelry just makes you look like a tourist. Any
major hamlet will have a laundromat, so stuff can be washed. They also
have stores, so anything you forget can be bought.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-a-Deux ('73 Tanzer 28 #4 sailing from Tolchester, MD)

Rosalie B.

Aug 15, 2002, 9:34:32 AM8/15/02
Jere Lull <jere...@BellAtlantic.net> wrote:
>>"Sven Paulus" <sv...@karlsruhe.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm going to stay on the Virgin Islands for a few days in December. For
>>>planning the trip I have a little question, may be someone can give me an
>>>answer:
>>>
>>>My plane arrives at 3pm in STT (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands). At 5pm the
>>>last ferry for Tortola, British Virgin Islands, leaves from Charlotte
>>>Amelie. Is there a chance to be able to catch this ferry?
>>>
>>>Looking at the maps, the airport seems to be pretty close to Charlotte
>>>Amelie. How long does it take to get from the airport to the harbor by taxi?
>>
>>>And how is STT airport organized? Is it comparable to a modern western
>>>airport (i.e. it takes 20 minutes after you left the aircraft to pick up all
>>>your luggage and go through customs) or do I have to calculate larger
>>>amounts of time?

It depends on what kind of plane, but I found that the luggage came through
quickly. If you are coming from the US, you shouldn't have to go through
customs IIRC.

>>You really should have no problem arriving at the airport at 3pm and making
>>the 5pm ferry in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Pack light so you don't have
>>too many bags to wait for... <snip>
>>

>Packing light can not be emphasized enough. Even for an on-shore
>vacation, if you can't carry everything onboard, you'll almost assuredly
>come back with stuff you didn't use, and could have gotten by with less.
>Not having to wait for luggage to be offloaded can easily save a half
>hour whenever you have to go through Customs since you can saunter
>straight to the head of the line. [and your luggage will never be "lost".]

I agree with packing light, but most airlines now are really restricting
carry-on stuff, and I would not count on carrying everything on. It is
actually IMHO less hassle to check a small bag and walk onto the airplane
with only a waist pack with stuff in it like dive computer, regulator,
cameras, medications and other stuff that you wouldn't want lost or stolen
(not stuff like clothes that you can buy replacements for) and then get
your bags than it is to try to wrestle the bags into the overhead, fighting
with other people who also have the mentality of not checking anything.

Since my husband doesn't want to have his penknife taken away, and I don't
want to lose my scissors or screwdrivers, we have to check at least one bag
anyway.

>We usually go down for 3 weeks, I have had a lot of camera gear (now
>replaced by a digital with lots of memory cards) and take my SCUBA fins
>(BIG) and mask. Everything fits in the overhead of the small planes into
>Beef Island. I wear my "dress" clothes: Oxford shirt, khakis, hat,
>jacket and sweat shirt (it's winter when we go), to look good to Customs
>and Security. Once down, except possibly for one dinner where I wear the
>same clothes, I live in my shorts, "T" shirts and swim suits. The girls
>get a lot of mileage out of pareas (sp?) which have so many uses and
>pack away to nothing. Jewelry just makes you look like a tourist. Any
>major hamlet will have a laundromat, so stuff can be washed. They also
>have stores, so anything you forget can be bought.

Take a lot of bathing suits. I usually put a pair of underpants, a blouse
and a bathing suit in with my cameras in the carryon.

grandma Rosalie

Charlie Hammond

Aug 15, 2002, 10:57:19 AM8/15/02
In article <f2bnluschkii42do7...@4ax.com>,
Rosalie B. <gmbe...@mindspring.com> writes:

> ... most airlines now are really restricting carry-on stuff ...

They talk the talk, but do they walk the walk?
I see excessive and over-size carry-ons on pretty much every flight.
Sept 11 hasn't made much difference that I've noticed.

Rosalie B.

Aug 15, 2002, 11:13:24 AM8/15/02
hammond@not@peek.ppb.cpqcorp.net (Charlie Hammond) wrote:

>In article <f2bnluschkii42do7...@4ax.com>,
>Rosalie B. <gmbe...@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>> ... most airlines now are really restricting carry-on stuff ...
>
>They talk the talk, but do they walk the walk?
>I see excessive and over-size carry-ons on pretty much every flight.
>Sept 11 hasn't made much difference that I've noticed.

I think it makes a difference which airline, and possibly which airport you
are leaving from and where you are going. I flew Delta to England, and the
overhead bins were not at all crowded.

grandma Rosalie

Kish

Aug 23, 2002, 1:52:19 AM8/23/02

I'm actually from the Virgin Islands and frequently take the ferry if there
are no flights from San Juan to Beef Island. An arrival time of 3pm is
decent for you to catch the last boat to Tortola. It will probably take
about 20 mins of less to get your luggage and from there you catch a cab.
There's no Custom's clearance needed. Actually while you're waiting on your
bags notify the taxi stand that you need a Cab to the Tortola Ferry/wharf.
On a good day it can take less than 10 minutes to get to the wharf. As long
as you can beat the 4:30 traffic, you should be ok to catch the last boat to
Tortola. (....and yes it may not be as big, but it's comparable in the fact
that you don't have to wait 30 mins on your bags)

Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Sven Paulus

Aug 23, 2002, 7:56:48 AM8/23/02
Kish <shi...@attbi.com> wrote:
> as you can beat the 4:30 traffic, you should be ok to catch the last boat to
> Tortola. (....and yes it may not be as big, but it's comparable in the fact

Thanks to everyone who replied! :-)

I think I'm going to try to go to Tortola on the same day I arrive on St.
Thomas. The advise not to carry too much luggage is a good one, but I think
I can't follow it, since I'm coming from Germany and after staying 10 days
on the Virgin Island I'll spend two more weeks in Los Angeles and San
Francisco where the weather will be quiet different from the USVI. So I'll
have to carry clothes for every kind of weather with me.

How is staying in Road Town on Tortola? Is it recommendable to choose a
hotel in the middle of the city or is the city crowded and noisy that I
should avoid that? Since I'm only spending three days on Tortola (after
this, I'm going to go to St. John and St. Thomas for a few days) I want to
be quite central to the points of interest. So if anybody can point me to an
affordable and nice hotel on Tortola, I'd be really grateful :-)

The hotels I've found so far are:

http://www.tamarindclub.com/rooms.htm
http://www.treasureislehotel.net/RezRates/rezrates.html
http://www.islandsonline.com/hotelcastlemaria/
http://www.islandsonline.com/mariasbythesea/

Has anybody any experience with one of them?

Jere Lull

Aug 26, 2002, 1:52:29 AM8/26/02
Sven Paulus wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who replied! :-)
>
>I think I'm going to try to go to Tortola on the same day I arrive on St.
>Thomas. The advise not to carry too much luggage is a good one, but I think
>I can't follow it, since I'm coming from Germany and after staying 10 days
>on the Virgin Island I'll spend two more weeks in Los Angeles and San
>Francisco where the weather will be quiet different from the USVI. So I'll
>have to carry clothes for every kind of weather with me.

Remember all those places have laundromats AND wheels on the bags won't
always work, so you'll have to lug it on your shoulder sometimes.

A thought: you might be able to stow your cold weather gear some place
like a locker in Puerto Rico, so you can travel more lightly in the Virgins.

>How is staying in Road Town on Tortola? Is it recommendable to choose a
>hotel in the middle of the city or is the city crowded and noisy that I
>should avoid that? Since I'm only spending three days on Tortola (after
>this, I'm going to go to St. John and St. Thomas for a few days) I want to
>be quite central to the points of interest. So if anybody can point me to an
>affordable and nice hotel on Tortola, I'd be really grateful :-)
>
>The hotels I've found so far are:
>
>http://www.tamarindclub.com/rooms.htm
>http://www.treasureislehotel.net/RezRates/rezrates.html
>http://www.islandsonline.com/hotelcastlemaria/
>http://www.islandsonline.com/mariasbythesea/
>
>Has anybody any experience with one of them?

We've stayed at Treasure Isle and Maria's by the Sea and like both. I
didn't even know the Tamarind Club had rooms. Oh, it's a different
place, in East End. Closer to the airport than Road Town. [There have to
be a dozen "Tamarind' places in the BVI.] Personally, when I want to
know about hotels and such, I head to http://b-v-i.com/ and browse.
Depending on what you want to do, you might want to stay some place
other than Road Town.

See our pics of Road Town which are primarily of "downtown". There are
only about 12-14.000 people on the whole island so other than rush
half-hour and when the cruise ship comes in (they only have room for a
couple small ships), there's not much noise or bustle. I think a healthy
person could comfortably stroll across town in a half hour or so. I
think it took me about 20 minutes between Maria's and Treasure Isle.
'Course, that's measured in island time, so your time may vary.

One thought: If you go to The Baths, you might want do it on your last
BVI morning, then go directly to the USVI from Spanish Town. I suspect
you can stow your gear some place in Spanish Town while you wander the
Baths, if you ask nicely.

--
Jere Lull

barry

Aug 26, 2002, 3:05:48 PM8/26/02

"Jere Lull" <jere...@BellAtlantic.net> wrote in message

> Sven Paulus wrote:
>
> >Thanks to everyone who replied! :-)
> >
> >I think I'm going to try to go to Tortola on the same day I arrive on St.
> >Thomas. The advise not to carry too much luggage is a good one, but I
think
> >I can't follow it, since I'm coming from Germany and after staying 10
days
> >on the Virgin Island I'll spend two more weeks in Los Angeles and San
> >Francisco where the weather will be quiet different from the USVI. So
I'll
> >have to carry clothes for every kind of weather with me.

I don't know how many jackets and ties you plan to bring along, but the
weather in LA and SF won't be very cold compared with Germany at that time.
You could actually get by with a couple of sweaters and a windbreaker; any
jackets and slacks you have for the VI would probably be all right for LA
and SF, unless you plan to hit the high-end places.

Others may have different thoughts, but I don't remember LA being cold in
December, and SF is mostly foggy, not too cold.

Barry

Jenn

Aug 26, 2002, 4:54:43 PM8/26/02
In article <6_ua9.4270$yl3....@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
"barry" <john...@optonline.net> wrote:

a windbreaker and a polartek should do for SF [which is cool year round]
and LA and it will also serve for weekends on the deck in the VI which
can be slightly chilly at night that time of year