Caribbean resort with secluded private cabanas?

luv2...@my-deja.com

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
I'm looking for a quiet adult-oriented Caribbean resort with secluded
private cabanas. I don't want all the activity you would get at a Hedo
resort, just lots of privacy surrounding what can be a very low-tech
Cabana. No phone, no airconditioning, no TV? No problem. A nice
centrally-located restaurant at the resort would be a plus though. Is
there such a place?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mike

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
Sounds like you should look into private villa rentals for the ultimate
privacy. I'd recommend Carriacou, its low key and has some good
accommodation that sounds up your alley, try this link:
http://www.islandvillas.com/
Mike

Joe Harkins

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:54:33 GMT, luv2...@my-deja.com wrote:

>I'm looking for a quiet adult-oriented Caribbean resort with secluded
>private cabanas. I don't want all the activity you would get at a Hedo
>resort, just lots of privacy surrounding what can be a very low-tech
>Cabana. No phone, no airconditioning, no TV? No problem. A nice
>centrally-located restaurant at the resort would be a plus though. Is
>there such a place?

Sounds like as good a description as you'd find anywhere of Petit St.
Vincent Resort (www.psvresort.com).

The 30-or-so cottages are deluxe in every way except for lack of air
conditioning (which they don't need, anyway - the overhead fans do a
good job). No phones, no TV. First class furnishings. Sitting room,
dining area, elaborate bath, private patio with hammocks and lounge
furniture.

Each cottage does have a radio that is good enough to bring a few
stations from South America. One night, after an excellent room
service meal, I sat on the patio deck in the candleight, tuned into a
station out of Venzuela and enjoyed some of the best ballads I'd heard
in years.

Each cottage is isolated at the end of a private path. At the head of
the path is a small flagpole. The small red flag means "do not
disturb"; the yellow means "there's a room service request in the
bamboo tube below". Your only companions with be the amazingly bold
and beautiful birds who will beg for crumbs and come take them off
your plate if you simply sit still.

Some cottages share a beach with two or three other cottages; some
have totally private beaches. You can walk the paths up and down the
central heights of the island without seeing anyone else. The
centrally located restaurant has superb food. You arrive by the PSV
yacht which meets you at the Union Island Airport, a half hour ride
away.

Usually the owner or his wife greet the guests at the arrival dock and
then leave you alone if that's what you want. The main building does
have a standard office serving the resort, completely with a phone for
urgent matters. And there's a decent boutique.

As a less expensive alternative try Young island
(www.youngisland.com). It too is deluxe but there's only one beach for
the entire 30 cabins. Rooms do not have phones, radios, or air
conditioning. Most are well separated and isolated. The food is
gourmet quality and served in series of thatch-roofed hutches strung
out along the waterfront. You arrive via private ferry (10 mintes from
the main island), itself a 5/7 minute ride from the airport in St.
Vincent. Very nice managment and excellent staff.

Joe Harkins
www.travelthe.net

With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

T1543

Aug 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/21/00
>I'm looking for a quiet adult-oriented Caribbean resort with secluded
>private cabanas

First, define cabana.

Second, assuming your are referring to a lightweight, modest cabin or
comparably flimsey structure at or very close to the beach and open to the sea,
try Petit Byahaut, located on a peninsula, southwestern side of St Vincent a
few clicks north of Kingstown. It's advertising pitch brags it's accessible
only by sea which is another way of saying it's generally inaccessible to
meandering locals.

The place consists of five units spread over 50 acres with stuff like fresh
water sourced from the rain, electricity from solar power. May sound eco-like,
but unquestionably upscale. The units are low tech and very much cabana-like
in the sense the walls are actually super duper tent material with wood floors,
opening to a nifty deck overlooking the Caribbean. There's an onsite gourmet
restaurant.

Depite its eco-leanings, you won't find any budget-minded backpackers hanging
round here. Runs 3.75 large per nite, double, FAP, due to go up to $400 per
nite in 200l, so act fast.

T..

Joe Harkins

Aug 21, 2000, 11:53:46 PM8/21/00
I'm not too happy at the prospect of a falme war with an anonymous
poster so it comes to that, I'll drop out and let the facts speak for
themselves.

You may get a better look at the facts either at www.svghotels.com
(click on the "members" button at the top of the SVH Hotel page) or
visit the PB web site at www.outahere.com/petitbyahaut

On 21 Aug 2000 23:37:20 GMT, t1...@aol.com (T1543) wrote:

> try Petit Byahaut, located on a peninsula, southwestern side of St Vincent a
>few clicks north of Kingstown. It's advertising pitch brags it's accessible
>only by sea which is another way of saying it's generally inaccessible to
>meandering locals.
>
>The place consists of five units spread over 50 acres with stuff like fresh
>water sourced from the rain, electricity from solar power. May sound eco-like,
> but unquestionably upscale. The units are low tech and very much cabana-like
>in the sense the walls are actually super duper tent material with wood floors,
> opening to a nifty deck overlooking the Caribbean. There's an onsite gourmet
>restaurant.

Petit Byahaut is not quite as primitive as described and just enough
of the facts are wrong to make me suspect that the anonymous poster
has not actually seen Petit Byahaut up close.

The property is on a bay. At least it was when I entered that bay a
few months ago on a small boat and photograhed the area.

There *are* no roads. The sharp hills that form a semi-circle behind
PB come right down to the edge of the water to the North and South.
Almost any map of the area will confirm that fact.

>Depite its eco-leanings, you won't find any budget-minded backpackers hanging
>round here. Runs 3.75 large per nite, double, FAP, due to go up to $400 per
>nite in 200l, so act fast.

No, PB is not inexpensive, but that statement is misleading.

Quoting from the PB web site:

"1 Night: $375 double $260 single"

"Package includes: accommodation, all meals, snorkeling, beach items,
sunfish sailboat, kayaks, scheduled hikes through the rainforest,
snorkeling trip through the Byahaut Caves, airport and water taxi.
There is a three night minimum stay. Also included is self-guided
SCUBA diving from beach or diving kayaks."

So it appears that $375 is for two people, all inclusive. Less than
$200 pp including transfers.

That's about half the price of Young Island and a third to a quarter
of Pete St. Vincent, but since each of the three offers a different
experience, the prices are different. Their only similarity is that
none of them offer the "sealed capsule" experience that most people,
or at least, most Americans, seem to want.

Joe Harkins

T1543

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
>The property is on a bay. At least it was when I entered that bay a
>few months ago on a small boat and photograhed the area.

Next visit, consider going ashore, as transient yachties often do. Sample
local cuisine at their restaurant. Does wonders for ill-digestion.

My take on PB's configuration, watery and otherwise, and its
topographically-oriented accessibility is colored by the events of mid-1997.
That's the summer of my own transient acquaintance with Petit Byahaut.

The Heath homicide, arising out of a murderous nighttime boat boarding in StV's
Cumberland Bay not far to the north, had recently taken place. The Fletcher
murder trial was just starting and Koppel's Nightline was bad mouthing the
whole island. It was a nightmareish time for StV tourism interests. I recall
the palpable tensions the day I attended one of the Fletchers' trial sessions
in the Kingstown Courthouse.

That summer, inaccessibility absent rapelling was deemed Petit Byahaut's
finest virtue and was being played that way, believe me. Ramparts to the
east, parapets to the north and south, the open sea to the west, a
defensible cove buffering the shoreline. The perfect StV vacation spot for
the summer of '97.

Best wishes for more good surfing and contentious nitpicking, wherever the two
may take you.

T.

Tom & Susan

Aug 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/22/00
Joe Harkins wrote:

> Sounds like as good a description as you'd find anywhere of Petit St.
> Vincent Resort (www.psvresort.com).
>
> The 30-or-so cottages are deluxe in every way except for lack of air
> conditioning (which they don't need, anyway - the overhead fans do a
> good job). No phones, no TV. First class furnishings. Sitting room,
> dining area, elaborate bath, private patio with hammocks and lounge
> furniture.

snipped....

Wow, that sounds like Heaven on earth. Book me, quick!!

Susan in CT

Just curious, what's a week run there? Is it all inclusive?

Joe Harkins

Aug 22, 2000, 9:11:57 PM8/22/00
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:42:18 -0400, Tom & Susan <twd...@snet.net>
wrote:

>Wow, that sounds like Heaven on earth. Book me, quick!!
>
>Just curious, what's a week run there? Is it all inclusive?

It sure was pretty special. I was there only for a too brief visit
this past May, as a guest of the owner, working on a pro bono prject
for the Organization of American States.

I've stayed in resorts and destinations around the world but this is
one of a mere handful where I came away wishing I am a millionaire so
I could visit whenever I want to. The only shortcoming was that I was
alone in place that is perfect for sharing. If I ever get the chance
to return I'll do so with company.

The rates and all the other details are on a pretty well done web site
at: http://psvresort.com

Regards,
Joe Harkins
www.travelthe.net

NoEmailAddress

Aug 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/23/00
Have you considered an all inclusive private yacht charter in the Virgin
Islands? There is a wide range of prices and yachts. An all-inclusive
yacht charter includes the boat, captain, chef/crew, all meals and beverages
(including ship's bar) on board, water toys... It is a great value plus you
have the freedom to change your location without packing your bags and
moving hotels! Summer rates generally run through mid-December.
Just suggesting another option that many people are not aware of...
Have a wonderful vacation,
Sheila
http://www.paradiseconnections.com