bicylcing in Caribbean: Dominican Republic or Bahamas?

josh

Nov 4, 2004, 5:12:44 PM11/4/04
My friend and I would like to spend 10 days to two weeks in the
Carribeean on bicycle. We would like to see small (non-touristy)
towns, do some snorkeling, hiking, see historic areas, etc. We imagine
either staying at inexpensive hotels or camping.
We are considering the Dominican Republic or the Bahamas.
What do you recommend? Should we bring our own bikes?

Don Wiss

Nov 4, 2004, 8:04:30 PM11/4/04
On 4 Nov 2004 14:12:44 -0800, abram...@gmail.com (josh) wrote:

>My friend and I would like to spend 10 days to two weeks in the
>Carribeean on bicycle.

I usually do 12 days. I once did 16 and I thought it to be a little long.

>We would like to see small (non-touristy)
>towns, do some snorkeling, hiking, see historic areas, etc. We imagine
>either staying at inexpensive hotels or camping.

Not much camping. Lots of inexpensive guest houses. Buy the Lonely Planet
Eastern Caribbean guide book. Best source for the inexpensive places. (But
this edition does not include the Bahamas or Dominican Republic. The
Bahamas has its own edition. I don't know about the DR.)

>We are considering the Dominican Republic or the Bahamas.

I have bicycled on about 25 islands in the Eastern Caribbean. But not those
two. The islands I visit are often small, so I visit several in the same
trip.

>What do you recommend? Should we bring our own bikes?

I have never brought my own bike. Often I fly AA jet to Puerto Rico and
then a prop plane to the island I'm visiting. I don't see a full size bike
even fitting in those planes. And you don't want a folding bike. The roads
just aren't good enough. You want a mountain bike, so when the road turns
to dirt you can keep on going.

You can rent on all islands. You have to ask around. After you have decided
on the islands I can give you more information. Bicycles can't really be
rented on St. Lucia. And no bicycling on St. John, St. Barts, and Saba. And
not much on Martinique. Only one bike to rent on Statia. Nothing really to
rent on Dominica.

The roads are not lit at night. It will be dark by 6:30. So if you want to
go out at night you need to bring your own illuminating light.

I have trip journals for most of my trips here: http://donwiss.com/

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Rosalie B.

Nov 4, 2004, 10:51:52 PM11/4/04
abram...@gmail.com (josh) wrote:

There's a lady (Carolyn Wardle) who runs biking tours on New
Providence Island (Nassau). She runs kayaking tours too. Actually I
think kayaking or almost any kind of boating would be better in the
Bahamas.

We've never used our own bikes in the Bahamas because of the licensing
issue. (Bikes are supposed to be licensed - most of the Bahamian
bikes aren't, but we wanted to abide by the regulations) Also much of
the time the islands are small enough to walk around or else there are
inexpensive jitney buses to get around.

.

grandma Rosalie

Juliana L Holm

Nov 5, 2004, 8:06:27 AM11/5/04
Rosalie B. <gmbe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> There's a lady (Carolyn Wardle) who runs biking tours on New
> Providence Island (Nassau). She runs kayaking tours too. Actually I
> think kayaking or almost any kind of boating would be better in the
> Bahamas.

> grandma Rosalie

Rosalie, any contact information on the tours? We're going to Nassau in
January on a cruise with friends, one of whom is an avid bicyclist.

Julie

--
Julie
**********

Rosalie B.

Nov 5, 2004, 8:56:37 AM11/5/04
Juliana L Holm <jh...@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>Rosalie B. <gmbe...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> There's a lady (Carolyn Wardle) who runs biking tours on New
>> Providence Island (Nassau). She runs kayaking tours too. Actually I
>> think kayaking or almost any kind of boating would be better in the
>> Bahamas.
>

>Rosalie, any contact information on the tours? We're going to Nassau in
>January on a cruise with friends, one of whom is an avid bicyclist.
>
>Julie

Here is their website
http://bahamasoutdoors.com/

We stayed at their dock after Bob's heart attack in the Exumas.

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/

Juliana L Holm

Nov 5, 2004, 11:12:00 AM11/5/04
Thanks, Rosalie.

I always appreciate your postings, you are so knowledgeable about the Caribbean.

Julie y