Arrests after air upgrade mutiny

eetinBelgië

May 6, 2006, 2:50:17 PM5/6/06
Arrests after air upgrade mutiny

The passengers were detained by police upon arrival
A group of irate economy air passengers were arrested after storming
the first class cabin of an international flight in mid-air, it has
been revealed.
The pilot of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) jet radioed
ahead after 14 people upgraded themselves.

They were all arrested on suspicion of endangering the aircraft after
landing at Manchester Airport on Friday.

The mutiny came after the plane was delayed for four hours on the
tarmac in soaring heat at Islamabad Airport.

Passengers bailed

The luxury section was said to be virtually empty on the Boeing 747
while economy was packed.

Police were called before the plane landed in the UK because the
passengers refused to leave when asked by cabin crew.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: "Police at Manchester
Airport were alerted to a problem on an incoming PIA flight from
Pakistan.

"Several passengers were reported to be trying to enter the first class
area of the plane.

"When the plane landed, 14 of the passengers were arrested on suspicion
of endangering an aircraft in flight.

"They have all been bailed until the end of June, pending further
inquiries."

The airline has refused to comment.

Bert Hyman

May 6, 2006, 3:04:46 PM5/6/06
In news:1146941417.4...@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
"eetinBelgië" <michael...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The mutiny came after the plane was delayed for four hours on the
> tarmac in soaring heat at Islamabad Airport.

What causes asphalt (and sometimes concrete) to turn into "tarmac" when
it's found at an airport?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN be...@iphouse.com

nobody

May 6, 2006, 4:16:01 PM5/6/06
Bert Hyman wrote:
> What causes asphalt (and sometimes concrete) to turn into "tarmac" when
> it's found at an airport?

Before the airport opens, they bring in a special priestess who performs
certain rituals/dances on the surface to transform it into "tarmac".

In the case of Cupertino airport, they brought in a Unix backup expert
as well as Steve Jobs to do the job.

Runge

May 6, 2006, 4:54:46 PM5/6/06
Islamabad...
gros pollueur !

"eetinBelgië" <michael...@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
1146941417.4...@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Maxx

May 6, 2006, 5:09:46 PM5/6/06

Doesn't it become "tarmac" after the first fuel spill?

JohnT

May 6, 2006, 5:29:47 PM5/6/06

"Maxx" <sky.d...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Does the Company not exist outside the USA? See http://www.tarmac.co.uk/

JohnT

Bert Hyman

May 6, 2006, 5:38:31 PM5/6/06
In news:GJ6dnW18Dt_...@eclipse.net.uk "JohnT"
<johnhillri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Maxx" <sky.d...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>> In news:1146941417.4...@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com

>> "eetinBelgiė" <michael...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The mutiny came after the plane was delayed for four hours on the
>> > tarmac in soaring heat at Islamabad Airport.
>>
>> What causes asphalt (and sometimes concrete) to turn into "tarmac"
>> when it's found at an airport?
>

> Doesn't it become "tarmac" after the first fuel spill?
>
> Does the Company not exist outside the USA? See
> http://www.tarmac.co.uk/

It has operations here, but not under the "Tarmac" name, I don't think.

But that's my point; Tarmac is actually something, and it's not asphalt,
and it's certainly not concrete.

Yet, anytime there's a news report about something happening at an
airport, any hard surface outside the terminal is inevitably called
"tarmac".

Maxx

May 6, 2006, 6:50:54 PM5/6/06

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In news:GJ6dnW18Dt_...@eclipse.net.uk "JohnT"
> <johnhillri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > "Maxx" <sky.d...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Bert Hyman wrote:

> >> What causes asphalt (and sometimes concrete) to turn into "tarmac"
> >> when it's found at an airport?
> >
> > Doesn't it become "tarmac" after the first fuel spill?

Taken from;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac

While the specific Tarmac pavement is not common today, many paved
surfaces are generically referred to as "tarmac." Many people use the
word to refer to paved areas at airports, especially the Airport ramp
or "apron", near the terminals despite the fact that many of these
areas are in fact made of concrete. "Tarmac" is also used the
vernacular as an alternative name for asphalt. The airport at Wick in
Caithness, Scotland is one of the few airports that still has a real
Tarmac runway.

mrtravel

May 6, 2006, 11:32:24 PM5/6/06
Bert Hyman wrote:

> In news:1146941417.4...@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com
> "eetinBelgië" <michael...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>The mutiny came after the plane was delayed for four hours on the
>>tarmac in soaring heat at Islamabad Airport.
>

> What causes asphalt (and sometimes concrete) to turn into "tarmac" when
> it's found at an airport?

The same stuff tha makes a door a jar.
I am still wondering why we drive on parkways and park on driveways.

Gregory Morrow

May 7, 2006, 5:43:38 PM5/7/06

gRunge wrote:

> Islamabad...

Time to turn your prayer rug towards Mecca and pray, gRunge -- ALLAH
AKHBAR...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Runge

May 8, 2006, 3:16:08 AM5/8/06
You enjoy posting for nothing, eh?
No malls in Chicago where you can lounge about with your pals ?

"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> a écrit dans le message de
news: 1147038218.6...@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...

ha...@dcs.qmul.ac.uk

May 8, 2006, 12:17:51 PM5/8/06
In the UK, road surfaces (I guess made of asphalt of some sort) are
usually referred to as tarmac - regardless of what they are made of.

Roads (or airport surfaces - at least at the terminals) are rarely (if
ever) made of concrete over here.

Since the flight landed at Manchester, the blurp might well have
originated from a UK based reporter, thus the use of typical British
phrases?

Hanne in London

TOliver

May 8, 2006, 3:25:01 PM5/8/06

<ha...@dcs.qmul.ac.uk> wrote ...

> In the UK, road surfaces (I guess made of asphalt of some sort) are
> usually referred to as tarmac - regardless of what they are made of.

Tar - Mac ......to us Merkins you Leftpondians' version of thr
asphalt/gravel/sand/cinders/clinker/etc. combinations used to pave roads,
old runways, ramps, etc. in the Scuppered H'aisles, old Mr. MacAdams's
formula for roads, not Mac's tar, but Tarmac.

> Roads (or airport surfaces - at least at the terminals) are rarely (if
> ever) made of concrete over here.

Over here, raods are oft asphalt, but airports not. Plus in much of the US,
there's the sticking to the asphalt in the hot sun, embarassing and
shoe-soiling.

TMO

semir...@my-deja.com

May 9, 2006, 8:41:12 PM5/9/06

IIRC (and it is a very long time ago that I read this) Tarmac is coal
based
and asphalt oil based. Airports were supposed to have been covered with

tarmac because the coal based material would not soften should there
be a fuel leak, whereas asphalt would be vulnerable to oil spills.

(unless you know better)

Alan Street

May 9, 2006, 9:04:15 PM5/9/06
In article <1147221672.7...@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
<semir...@my-deja.com> wrote:

This seems as good of an explaination as any:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac

Darryl

May 10, 2006, 4:51:05 PM5/10/06

eetinBelgië wrote:
> "Several passengers were reported to be trying to enter the first class
> area of the plane.
>
> "When the plane landed, 14 of the passengers were arrested on suspicion
> of endangering an aircraft in flight.

That must be why first class costs more: to compensate for the danger
of sitting up front. "woohoo, loogit me! I'm endangering lives by
sitting in 1st class!"

Is that what kids are doing these days to get their adrenaline rush?
Sky diving, alligator wrestling, & sitting in 1st class?