Nope, TSA not sleeping, say airport exec - Miami Airport evacuated...

The Bill Mattocks

Nov 15, 2002, 10:40:42 AM11/15/02
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20021114_581.html

Security Breach Prompts Miami Airport Evacuation

Nov. 14
— MIAMI (Reuters) - Aviation officials evacuated five concourses at
Miami International Airport after two passengers bypassed a security
checkpoint on Thursday, delaying some 40 flights for two or three
hours.

[NOTE - and delaying THEIR connections, and so on, and so on...etc]

Five of the airport's eight concourses were evacuated after the
security breach was reported about 11:40 a.m., an airport spokeswoman
said.

The two passengers slipped in through an exit, bypassing metal
detectors and luggage X-ray screening at the checkpoint, a spokeswoman
for the U.S. Transportation Security Administration said.

[NOTE - Slipped in through an exit? How is this possible? At every
airport I've been to in the last year, the exit is crawling with TSA
guards.]

Security workers could not catch the two, so hundreds of passengers in
the five concourses accessed through that checkpoint were ordered to
leave and forced to go through the screening again, TSA spokeswoman
Heather Rosenker.

"If you realize you might have a breach, you must clear your
concourses," she said.

Rosenker denied media reports that a checkpoint worker was sleeping
while the two passengers slipped through.

"That has been a false report," she said.

[NOTE - Then I suggest hiring TSA guards that can run. But something
about this story doesn't smell right. It seems more likely that the
TSA guard was sleeping or not at his/her post, or otherwise
distracted. Perhaps a new downloaded game on his cell phone.]

Three of the concourses were reopened at 1:30 p.m. and the rest
reopened by 2:30 p.m., the airport spokeswoman said. About 40 flights
were delayed during the evacuation, she said.

Rosenker said the TSA was still investigating and will "take
appropriate action to have that not happen again."

Miami is a major hub for American Airlines and a crossroads for Latin
American and Caribbean flights.

Copyright 2002 Reuters News Service.

**************************************

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Brian M

Nov 15, 2002, 9:46:43 PM11/15/02

The Bill Mattocks wrote in message ...

>Rosenker denied media reports that a checkpoint worker was sleeping
>while the two passengers slipped through.
>
>"That has been a false report," she said.

Media seems to have pretty much figured out what happen, Ms Rosenker's
version notwithstanding.
Exit 'guard' *was* dozing. Passengers pointed this out to the screening
staff. Video tapes were reviewed.
Nobody intruded during the nap, but two had while a different (presumably
slightly more awake) guard was on duty.

And there were no 'doors' involved by the way, the 'exit' is one half of the
concourse entrance.

B.

mga707

Nov 15, 2002, 10:26:07 PM11/15/02
bmat...@earthlink.net (The Bill Mattocks) wrote in message news:<a534b8d4.02111...@posting.google.com>...

> Rosenker denied media reports that a checkpoint worker was sleeping
> while the two passengers slipped through.
>
> "That has been a false report," she said.

The man from "Thousands Standing Around" was most definitely NOT
sleeping, I assure you! He was merely "resting his eyes"...
;-)