Open letter to Expedia.com - Please do not remove online reviews

ed.g...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2006, 11:12:15 AM8/19/06
I have now posted my review for a certain hotel three times, and
Expedia has
removed it or refused to post the review three times.

My review did not violate any of the listed policies. I have not done
anything illegal or against their code. All I did was write a negative
review and it was removed three times.

I understand that they don't post reviews that do not meet the
guidelines for traveler opinions.

As far as I can tell, my review does not violate the policy.

I have posted to various online opinion sites and I have made a google
page at:

http://ed.gatzke.googlepages.com/expediasucks

Sorry to post here, but I wanted google to get it in their system so
maybe people would see it.

Ed

Expedia Travel Support wrote:

>Dear Mr. Gatzke,
>
>Thank you for your immediate response.
>
>Please allow up to five business days for the review to appear on the website. If the review does not appear after five business days, this indicates that the review has been rejected. You could go back to the website and re-submit the review, making sure that you read the information about what is acceptable and what is not.
>
>As what was previously advised, Expedia reserves the right to refuse or remove, at any time, any review or other material that it believes (or has reason to suspect) does not comply with the "Traveler Opinions" guidelines or the Expedia.com terms of use.
>
>If you have further questions, feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact Expedia customer services at 1-800-397-3342 and reference case ID 27137087. You can also visit the Expedia.com "Customer Support" page (<http://www.expedia.com/daily/service/default.asp>) for more customer service information.
>
>Thank you for choosing Expedia.com.
>

>Alcina
>Expedia.com Customer Support Team

Fly Guy

Aug 19, 2006, 11:25:57 AM8/19/06
ed.g...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have now posted my review for a certain hotel three times, and
> Expedia has removed it or refused to post the review three times.

Post it instead on TripAdvisor.com

Shawn Hirn

Aug 19, 2006, 7:52:29 PM8/19/06
In article <1156000335....@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
ed.g...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have now posted my review for a certain hotel three times, and
> Expedia has
> removed it or refused to post the review three times.
>
> My review did not violate any of the listed policies. I have not done
> anything illegal or against their code. All I did was write a negative
> review and it was removed three times.
>
> I understand that they don't post reviews that do not meet the
> guidelines for traveler opinions.
>
> As far as I can tell, my review does not violate the policy.
>
> I have posted to various online opinion sites and I have made a google
> page at:
>
> http://ed.gatzke.googlepages.com/expediasucks
>
> Sorry to post here, but I wanted google to get it in their system so
> maybe people would see it.

For those of us who don't read minds, where is this hotel located and
what's its name?

Bucky

Aug 20, 2006, 2:13:36 AM8/20/06
ed.g...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have now posted my review for a certain hotel three times, and
> Expedia has
> removed it or refused to post the review three times.

I never did trust the reviews on sites that are trying to sell the same
product. You can usually tell by reading the reviews. If there are no
negative ones, then it's been censored.

mrtravel

Aug 20, 2006, 2:43:45 AM8/20/06

Yeah, but it seems his major complaint was that the hotel closed at
10pm. This is not an unheard of thing, but we are in the dark, because
he didn't post the name and location of the hotel. Obviously, if it were
a Hilton, Marriot, Motel 6, etc, we would expect to be able to check-in
24x7, but at Betty's Bed & Breakfast, it would be normal to limit the
check-in hours. I know that at even chain hotels can have limitations.
in Europe, like Formule 1, which has limited hours for check-in if not
using a credit card since reception is opened limited morning and
evening hours.
Of course, check-in can be done automatically 24x7.

Gregory Morrow

Aug 20, 2006, 1:31:38 PM8/20/06

mrtravel wrote:

Yawn...

--
Best
Greg

Matthew Brealey

Aug 21, 2006, 8:30:37 AM8/21/06

ed.g...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have now posted my review for a certain hotel three times, and
> Expedia has
> removed it or refused to post the review three times.

You know all sites do this, right?

I posted a review on Amazon of a game once. The game was not much good,
and very short, and I said something to the effect of 'this game is not
very long, you'd be better off buying something else'. The thing is,
with no other reviews of the game, my review would be the only one, and
would significantly harm their sales.

So they didn't post it.

Same thing, I bought a cheap optical mouse from a hardware site
(ebuyer). Horrible, unergonomic. The product had loads of positive
reviews. So I added a negative one. They didn't post it. I added it
three times, and they never approved it.

Nothing abusive, just a normal review.

It's not all that surprising. There are probably 100 satisifed
customers at a hotel for every dissatsified. But out of those 100, only
1 will post a review, but the dissatisfied ones are far more likely to
complain. It's human nature, but it makes the hotel look bad. You get
wonderful hotels showing up with bad ratings overall. It's not really
fair on the hotel that they are going to get the bad reviews far more
than the good.

As far as I can tell, your only complaint was that the hotel was closed
in the middle of the night. This doesn't make the hotel bad, just
small. Most people wouldn't find this a problem. Of course people need
to know that the hotel's not going to be open at 1am in the morning, I
guess expedia should say. But they really aren't obliged to post your
review.

David the Nationals Fan

Aug 21, 2006, 8:39:27 AM8/21/06

Matthew Brealey wrote:
> I posted a review on Amazon of a game once. The game was not much good,
> and very short, and I said something to the effect of 'this game is not
> very long, you'd be better off buying something else'. The thing is,
> with no other reviews of the game, my review would be the only one, and
> would significantly harm their sales.
>
> So they didn't post it.

Which would be dishonest. The point behind Amazon reviews (at least
in theory) is to help the customer make more informed decisions, not to
shill for products. If the latter, then Amazon should say something
along the lines of "Amazon reviews are positive only"

> Same thing, I bought a cheap optical mouse from a hardware site
> (ebuyer). Horrible, unergonomic. The product had loads of positive
> reviews. So I added a negative one. They didn't post it. I added it
> three times, and they never approved it.

Which means you purchased it based on false information.

> wonderful hotels showing up with bad ratings overall. It's not really
> fair on the hotel that they are going to get the bad reviews far more
> than the good.

But those of us who read reviews on line KNOW this. We don't make our
decisions solely on a bad review. But bad reviews do twll us
something.

> As far as I can tell, your only complaint was that the hotel was closed
> in the middle of the night. This doesn't make the hotel bad, just
> small. Most people wouldn't find this a problem.

It is a major problem when the person is scheduled to arrive late.
Hotels, in contrast to bed and breakfasts SHOULD be available to check
in their guests at all hours. Its the difference between a hotel and a
B&B. Hotel's are "houses without keys" because someone is always on
duty at the front desk.

>Of course people need
> to know that the hotel's not going to be open at 1am in the morning, I
> guess expedia should say. But they really aren't obliged to post your
> review.

They should be obligated to post the review which follows their
guidelines as to do the contrary creates false and misleading
presumptions.

Frank F. Matthews

Aug 21, 2006, 11:12:36 AM8/21/06

They aren't obliged but it helps if the public gets the information that
their site is useless. One of the things I like about TripAdvisor
(among its faults) is that they include a number of negative reviews.
It does help their credibility. They may still be managing the data but
it does look better.

David the Nationals Fan

Aug 21, 2006, 11:42:07 AM8/21/06

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

> They aren't obliged but it helps if the public gets the information that
> their site is useless. One of the things I like about TripAdvisor
> (among its faults) is that they include a number of negative reviews.
> It does help their credibility. They may still be managing the data but
> it does look better.

>From a liability perspective, I would think you would not want to
manage data beyond that in the guidelines. Let's assume, for a moment,
that numerous negative reviews come in about a particularly hotel
primarily ascribing safety issues. A couple of "plant" reviews come
in talking about how safe and clean the hotel is. The advisory
service, contrary to their guidelines, only posts the "good" reviews.
Relying upon the reputation of the advisory service, I decide to book a
room at the hotel. I am badly injured and the injury can be traced
directly to the safety concerns in the numerous reviews which were not
put up.

Certainly I can go after the hotel. What about the on line site?

Perhaps. They purportedly held themselves out as providing opinions
and reviews from other travellers (as long as those reviews met their
stated guidelines). The "negative" reviews met the stated guidelines,
but were not published becuase they did not meet unstated guidelines
(and because it was in the financial benefit of the site to not publish
them). The site made a "decision" to not publish and thereby assumed a
duty. I reasonably relied upon them. And I was damaged. I think
that they open themselves up for liability.

In contrast, if they only apply the guidelines that they have stated
they apply, then they didn't engage in additional conduct which assumed
a duty to me.

ed.g...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2006, 12:11:18 AM8/22/06
My review of the Pacific Crest Hotel in Santa Barbara is as follows:

Expedia booked me on a flight into SBA at 1:00 AM. Got to the hotel
around 2:30 AM (5:30 AM Eastern), and the office was totally closed up.

What hotel closes up at 10:00 PM in the modern world?

Terrible service, terrible time. Thought I would have to sleep with
the bums on the beach.

I eventually had to check into the hotel since I could not get a
refund. Very low end but only a block or two from the beach.

> > As far as I can tell, your only complaint was that the hotel was closed
> > in the middle of the night. This doesn't make the hotel bad, just
> > small. Most people wouldn't find this a problem.
>
> It is a major problem when the person is scheduled to arrive late.
> Hotels, in contrast to bed and breakfasts SHOULD be available to check
> in their guests at all hours. Its the difference between a hotel and a
> B&B. Hotel's are "houses without keys" because someone is always on
> duty at the front desk.

Expedia knew enough to not let me rent a car at SBA late since they
knew I was arriving late, but they allowed me to get this garbage
hotel. It was very low end, even after my bad check in experience.
And Expedia and the hotel never refunded my night stay, since it was
part of a package deal with a flight. And I never got my $150 from the
hotel that I had to stay in that night.

> >Of course people need
> > to know that the hotel's not going to be open at 1am in the morning, I
> > guess expedia should say. But they really aren't obliged to post your
> > review.
>
> They should be obligated to post the review which follows their
> guidelines as to do the contrary creates false and misleading
> presumptions.

Exactly. It is dirty pool to have reviews then refuse to post them.
The main people that are going to write reviews are the people that
were wronged, so maybe they should email you after every trip to get a
review, maybe they would get more positive feedback.

They won't tell me what policy I violated. They expire reviews after
six months since your stay, so after they refuse my review a few times,
they can point to the six month policy.

Even if they post my review online now, they have made me waste so much
time that it won't change my opinion of them.

I say screw em. They are dead to me. Just by this one act, they have
lost me as a customer, and I travel (sometimes international) maybe
5-10 times a year. I am letting my friends know that they should use
something else. I am posting protest pages so people will google for
"expedia sucks" and hopefully get my comments. Just one little thing
(after one big thing) to drive away business and make an enemy.

And I didn't even know they were MS owned until my vendetta. Oh, the
irony.

ed.g...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2006, 4:33:26 PM8/23/06
Expedia finally posted my negative hotel online.

It only took me sending the review in four times, plus numerous emails
to their customer support, plus me posting negative comments about
Expedia in a variety of online services, plus me making my own protest
page about Expedia. After wasting so much time and effort, I now have
a vested interest to continued to get the word out about Expedia
policies and dirty tricks.

Review is online at:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=dspv&itty=new&from=m&shtl=1&htid=915130&crti=7&cadu1=2&&zz=1156362715248&

or try: http://tinyurl.com/rj6kb

My protest page and past correspondence still at

http://ed.gatzke.googlepages.com/expediasucks

Received today:

>Dear Mr. Gatzke,
>
>We have submitted your User Review of the Pacific Crest Inn to our production team for >further evaluation and are pleased to inform you that a modified version has been >posted to our site.
>
>Please use the following URL to view the posting:
>
>http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=dspv&itty=new&from=m&shtl=1&htid=915130&crti=7&cadu1=2
>
>Please let us know if you have any questions.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Kayla Miller
>Customer Advisory Department
>Expedia.com

Gregory Morrow

Aug 23, 2006, 4:41:54 PM8/23/06

<ed.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Expedia finally posted my negative hotel online.

Is this really the hill you want to die on...???

--
Best
Greg