My Weekly Pick....3/20

Michael Crawford

Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
Here is a new (but old) idea that I'm trying out. Each week
I'm going to give my reviews of what's new out there. If there
isn't anything new - I'll talk about something from one of the
older lines.

This weeks lines in review are the lastest Spiderman, Ghost Rider
and Star Trek sets.....

Star Trek: Yes, I have my PFT. No, he is not the best of the line.
Actually, as many have pointed out, he is a pretty weak figure.
I have a weak spot for Rand and Chapel, particularly Rand. I could
never figure out how Kirk kept turning her down.....but these two
figures are only so-so. Obviously, the plain style of uniform from
the early days doesn't help. The likeness' are very good however,
particularly dear Yeoman Rand. Sisko is also mediocre - I'm waiting
for my Sisko in Hawk hairstyle figure. Worf is pretty good - nice
detail, and I've always been a sucker for Worf figures. But this
time I think Zek is the big winner - well detailed, sharp looking,
and a Farengi to boot.

Spiderman: Let's not even talk about the two Spidey variants, okay?
Carnage isn't bad, except his head size looks funny. I know, it had
to be small to make the hooded version look right, but since he is
packed without the hood on, he looks funny right off the shelf. His
facial expression is, well, interesting. He definitely looks the
psychotic killer. Man-Spider is a definite rip-it-open-and-display-it
figure. Very nice sculpting, and it is sure to have the office mates
asking 'What the hell is that?'. But my pick goes to Tombstone, although
it was close. Nice detail, solid paint, and good articulation go into
making this an all around great figure.

Ghost Rider: *choke* *gag* uh, sorry - natural reaction. I can't find
much good to say about this line, but if you held a gun to my head and
forced me to buy a figure, it would be Outcast. Good sculpting, good
articulation, good play factor - and hey, he even reminds me of Bigfoot
who has always been high on my list :)

Well, that's it for this week - tune back next time for LOB and....
whatever else new I see!

Happy Hunting!

Michael
1:1