unknown train set 121

Reinhard Beneke

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
Hi that's me again!

First I want to thank for all the positive critics on my new homepage.

I'm sorry to tell that I have made nearly no progress in adding text to
the pictures. Instead of this I was playing with a new train set, that I
never saw before.

It has a diesel engine and 2 tank cars. The package is heavy used but
intact.
But what makes me really exited is that these are Esso (European Exxon)
cars!
Now my questions to all you LEGO experts: Is this a regular LEGO set or
a promotional set?
The packge has copyright from 1966 (very hard to read). Who knows
anything about this set?
What would it be worth when sold? I had only to pay a handfull of bucks
for it.
The set is complete, no parts are missing, only the building instruction
is not at hand.
The set contains 10 printed Bricks with "Esso" and two red bricks with
gold printing "121".
The motor (old high type) is still running after all these years!

Please help me to identify this LEGO (promotionl?) set 121 out of the
sixties!
Any further information could help me.

You can find pitures of the train and its package under the column

"Last good buy"

on my homepage Ben's world of ABS:

http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/ben_abs.html

Ben

N. Hoogerbrug

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
to ben...@kmbserv1.ing.tu-bs.de
Hi Reinhard,

No idea of the price, its worth what you or any person wants to spend for
it.
In the early days of LEGO there where only 2 large petrol companies. SHELL
and ESSO and both companies could be found in LEGO land. Fi the VW garage
had an ESSO sign on a mast in front.
The 121 is an original train set out of the early days, 60 is right.
Greetings and keep building
Nico