Toronto, Canada Lego Fun?

TSANG Calum Thomas

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

Wondering if anyone was interested in a RTL Toronto get together at
Ontario Place, Lego Creative Play Center? It was a kind of nice place to
sit down for a few hours last year, plus they had some interesting sets
like 4525 Road and rail repair etc.... Jeff? Anyone? People from BC? :)

And also...

Anyone know where to find cheap Lego deals in Canada? I hear of speed
regs going for $6, People finding Metroliners for $50....

Nothing like that EVER happens in Toronto :(

Any store I should ve visiting more frequently? I go to the Bay,
Zellers, Walmart, occassionally Toys R Us, and Eatons downtown....

--
Calum Tsang - Kami Jageman Group Team Sara 96 - SaraCam Systems
tsa...@io.org / tsa...@ecf.toronto.edu - Sharon Apple Galaxy Tour 2040

Jeff Elliott

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

TSANG Calum Thomas wrote:

> Wondering if anyone was interested in a RTL Toronto get together at
> Ontario Place, Lego Creative Play Center? It was a kind of nice place to
> sit down for a few hours last year, plus they had some interesting sets
> like 4525 Road and rail repair etc.... Jeff? Anyone? People from BC? :)

I'm game! I'll be out of town until August 13, but any time after that.

> And also...
>
> Anyone know where to find cheap Lego deals in Canada? I hear of speed
> regs going for $6, People finding Metroliners for $50....
>
> Nothing like that EVER happens in Toronto :(
>
> Any store I should ve visiting more frequently? I go to the Bay,
> Zellers, Walmart, occassionally Toys R Us, and Eatons downtown....

I usually haunt Eaton's Centre, The Bay (Queen St.), and the like.
Sometimes the Bay has fairly decent sales. (20 - 25% off). If these get
superimposed on a scratch & save day, it's even better.

But Venture Warehouse (although limited in terms of sets) has got to
be the most aggressive pricing I've seen anywhere.

> --
> Calum Tsang - Kami Jageman Group Team Sara 96 - SaraCam Systems
> tsa...@io.org / tsa...@ecf.toronto.edu - Sharon Apple Galaxy Tour 2040
> See My Lego Page at http://www.io.org/~tsangc/lego.html

Jeff Elliott

dgc...@ibm.net

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

Calum Tsang wrote:

>Wondering if anyone was interested in a RTL Toronto get together at
>Ontario Place, Lego Creative Play Center? It was a kind of nice place to
>sit down for a few hours last year, plus they had some interesting sets
>like 4525 Road and rail repair etc.... Jeff? Anyone? People from BC? :)

<snip>

I think that would be a great idea!!!
I will be on vacation until late August, but any time after that, count me in!

Dale Chapman
dgch...@ibm.net

Kevin John Stefan

Jul 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/27/96

In article <Dv3tD...@ecf.toronto.edu>,

TSANG Calum Thomas <tsa...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:

>Wondering if anyone was interested in a RTL Toronto get together at
>Ontario Place, Lego Creative Play Center? It was a kind of nice place to
>sit down for a few hours last year, plus they had some interesting sets
>like 4525 Road and rail repair etc.... Jeff? Anyone? People from BC? :)

35 degrees of longditude too far away for me. :)
Actually, what attracted me to respond was the title - I don't
think I've ever seen "Toronto" and "Fun" in the same sentence
before. [ducking and running for cover :)]

>And also...
>
>Anyone know where to find cheap Lego deals in Canada? I hear of speed
>regs going for $6, People finding Metroliners for $50....
>
>Nothing like that EVER happens in Toronto :(
>
>Any store I should ve visiting more frequently? I go to the Bay,
>Zellers, Walmart, occassionally Toys R Us, and Eatons downtown....

I find that in Calgary, the stores in the crappier parts of town
often have a large number of damaged (and hence, occasionally
cheaper) sets. They also seem to have older big sets. Zellers
and K-mart are the best ones for damage. Unfortunately, the
damaged sets aren't always marked down.
I live in a blue-collar-ish neighbourhood, and the nearest big
mall has a Zeller's with some good deals. (My fave was half-off
the Solar Snooper last year). TRU is OK for a "baseline". They
also have the best selection.
Downtown Calgary is, with a couple of exceptions (the
"superstores", like A&B Sound) a gouger's heaven. The 'burbs are
where it's at.
The Bay and Eatons seem to have crazy high prices. Of course,
this means that Ice Planet sets and the like are often on the
shelves.

Zellers seems to have the best sales (although, it's still mostly
10-25% off - not bad)

The only great deal I've seen was my mother buying a Super Car at
Sears, with Lego on sale for 25%, a 15% scratch-and-save card,
and some sort of Sear's club $15 off coupon. It was nice. :)

... But what about the cattle?

--------Rev. Kevin Stefan / kjst...@acs.ucalgary.ca------------
--------- http://www.ucalgary.ca/~kjstefan/lego.html ----------
A goofy engineering entity independant of the U of Calgary
3rd year Civil in Calgary, Canada, (hopefully) home of Expo 2005
LEGO: SP+++[cl,fu+++,ex++,sp2+](6925,6957,>6982) O O
TO[>lc]+++(6373,6350) CA[fm]++(6066,6085) \ /
AQ,PI+ #+/++ S+ LS+>++ A LM/+ YB76/77m \_______/

TSANG Calum Thomas

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

Okay,m I can do this anytime, but Jeff says after the 13, so let's
say...sometime around the 20th? Anyone care to spec a specific day?

I will be on contract for another network install but I'm sure those days
are all flexible.

David and Wanda Truijen

Jul 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/28/96

<4tebri$v...@acs4.acs.ucalgary.ca>...

> In article <Dv3tD...@ecf.toronto.edu>,
> TSANG Calum Thomas <tsa...@ecf.toronto.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Wondering if anyone was interested in a RTL Toronto get together at
> >Ontario Place, Lego Creative Play Center? It was a kind of nice place
> >sit down for a few hours last year, plus they had some interesting sets

> >like 4525 Road and rail repair etc.... Jeff? Anyone? People from BC?
:)

> 35 degrees of longditude too far away for me. :)
> Actually, what attracted me to respond was the title - I don't
> think I've ever seen "Toronto" and "Fun" in the same sentence
> before. [ducking and running for cover :)]

I would agree. The only fun we have with Toronto involves bad jokes.
[running to Kevin's foxhole for cover :)]
--
David Truijen
tru...@man.net

TR++++(182) TO, TC+++(8460) #+++ S- LS- H!? A+ YB68m

TSANG Calum Thomas

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

Kevin John Stefan <kjst...@acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:

>35 degrees of longditude too far away for me. :)
>Actually, what attracted me to respond was the title - I don't
>think I've ever seen "Toronto" and "Fun" in the same sentence
>before. [ducking and running for cover :)]

Grrr...... :) And now, I will present my:

Top Ten Reasons Why Toronto Is Great
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10. Our stadium doesn't look like a saddle
9. We have the Lego Creative Play Center at Ontario Place!
8. Canada Post's Gateway Facility is here, where poor little
minifigures are sandblasted in the mail sorters.
7. We didn't get the 1996 Olympics!
6. Moe Berg of the Pursuit of Happiness lives here.
5. If you swallow a brick on University Ave south of
College, there are FOUR hospitals you can crawl to within minutes.
4. Four words: No More Monika Deol!
3. No luge track.
2. Metropasses for all day Lego hunting via public transit!
1. Lego Canada is headquartered here!

A bit more on track again, we are also the home of Playmobil
Canada, and pretty well every other Canadian company, or Canadian
division. That includes major department stores, like Eatons and the
Bay, which means we get stuff like Metroliners on shelves.

Whoa. And Gail Meagher has recommended I check out Sears.
Problem is, Sears has very little presence out here.

Andrew J Keeping

Jul 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/31/96

TSANG Calum Thomas (tsa...@ecf.toronto.edu) wrote:

: Okay,m I can do this anytime, but Jeff says after the 13, so let's

: say...sometime around the 20th? Anyone care to spec a specific day?

: I will be on contract for another network install but I'm sure those days
: are all flexible.

This is a great idea!! :-) As soon as a date and rough time are finalised
email me and I'll try to make it down there. I have a fairly open
schedule so any day is good.

Andrew Keeping
akee...@uoguelph.ca

TSANG Calum Thomas

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Okay, email me a copy of this form to vote for the big Toronto get together
at Ontario Place, admission is god knows what.

form

name:
email:
where you live:
your phone number:

how long the day should be (a few hours, th entire day):

what day is best (or any day if that):

Is a weekend better:

okay folks, email it bac kto me.