earthsea ftp site closed

Paul John Gyugyi

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

I'd like to announce the closure of the earthsea.stanford.edu
LEGO-related ftp site. The machine is being "retired".

There is a mirror of earthsea that is still in operation at:
<ftp:// blah.math.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/lego>
Send mail to Brian Ward <b...@blah.math.tu-graz.ac.at> if you need
help accessing that site.

Back in the early days of alt.toys.lego and rec.toys.lego the
ftp site at earthsea was *the* place for exchanging images and
related files. It's odd to think that was before the emergence
of the Web. Thanks to all who contributed images and files.
If you need anything, check the mirror site. As a last resort,
I have an archival copy on tape.

-gyug
pa...@gyugyi.com
gyu...@earthsea.stanford.edu
--
=--=-==-==--=-=-=--==-=-==--=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==--==-=-==--==-=-==-==
Paul Gyugyi pa...@gyugyi.com http://www.gyugyi.com/

David Karr

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

p...@tranquility.gyugyi.com (Paul John Gyugyi) writes:
>I'd like to announce the closure of the earthsea.stanford.edu
>LEGO-related ftp site. The machine is being "retired".

I think you meant to say you'd like to announce (truthfully) that
the site isn't being taken away after all, but that you can't.

I'd say this is unconscionable, but I suppose we ought to be grateful
to Stanford for providing a place for the archive for so long.

This also means my Guide to the FTP Archive is (almost) completely
broken at this time. The only thing that works is the link to
<URL:ftp:// blah.math.tu-graz.ac.at/pub/lego> on the "About" page.
I'll try to fix it, but this looks like a job for next week at the
earliest. Would anyone be very badly inconvenienced if, at the same
time I fix the links in the Guide, I move the various files of the
Guide to a different directory on my own machine? They've multiplied
and have started to clutter the directory where they are now.

-- David A. Karr (ka...@cs.cornell.edu)
-- LEGO: <URL:http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/karr/lego/>

Brian Ward

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

To add a note about the earthsea site: I plan to provide an "incoming"
directory on blah.math.tu-graz.ac.at sometime soon, so that people can
still make their stuff available. I've also been thinking about
reorganizing it a bit. There should also be a mirror in the US soon (which
should become the primary site for getting files, as the network isn't all
that great here).