Roll Call - Please Check In...

LZucaro

Jan 6, 1995, 12:30:45 AM1/6/95
Hey...

Just wanted to start a thread here to see who's playing...

Name: Lou Zucaro
Age: 27
M.S.: Married
Kids: Not yet
Employment: Director of Development for a multimedia company
Number of Sets in Collection: 60+
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: 1975 (Two yellow construction trucks, set # & piece count
unknown)
Favorite Themes: Town & Model Team
Favorite Set in Collection: Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck

Descamisado

Jan 6, 1995, 9:59:42 AM1/6/95

> Name: Connie Gunderson

> Age: 27
> M.S.: Married
> Kids: Not yet
> Employment: Classical Music Store Manager/Buyer
> Number of Sets in Collection: approx 30
> Number of Pieces: Unknown
> Oldest Set: the blue Moon Landing set ca. 1978 approx
> Favorite Themes: Town
> Favorite Set in Collection: Metroliner & Load N Haul & depot

.

.

or...@skydivskylit.dseg.ti.com

Jan 6, 1995, 10:05:46 AM1/6/95

Name: Bonnie Orem & Bobby Orem
Age: 32 3
M.S.: Married
Kids: See Name
Employment: Software Design Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: 8 (we just started 12/25/94)
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: 1990 Black Monarch's Ghost (P.S. TRU in Plano, TX still has most
of the ones on Jeff's list that are marked as not in the 1995 catalog)
Favorite Themes: Castle
Favorite Set in Collection: Wolf Pack Renegades (the hidden treasure cache is
way cool!)

I hate paranoid people, they're everywhere!

Kevin Forsyth

Jan 6, 1995, 10:58:00 AM1/6/95
Name: Kevin S. Forsyth
Age: 25
M.S.: Single
Kids: 0 humans, 3 cats
Employment: Systems Analyst in College of Social Sci., Michigan State U.
Number of Sets in Collection: ~60
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Sets: 1973 (#420 Police Car, #570 Fire House, #710 Wrecker w/ Car,
#221 Idea Book)
Favorite Themes: Pirates (except Islanders), Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: not a set, it's a blue Futuron spaceman, standing
on a crater plate, reaching out to touch a black 1x4x9 monolith.
Also, #8868 (ATCR) in garbage truck form.

Bo Williams

Jan 6, 1995, 11:00:14 AM1/6/95
> Name: Lou Zucaro
> Age: 27
Long-time lurker, occasional poster:

Name: Bo Williams
Age: 23
M.S.: Single/girlfriend
Kids: None
Employment: Technical writer for a graphics software company
Number of sets in collection: 100+
Number of pieces: No idea; at least 25,000
Oldest Sets: Two Universal Expert Builder Sets ca. 1980
Favorite Themes: Model Team, Technic
Favorite Sets: Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck, Whirlwind Rescue

Dale Chapman Tic

Jan 6, 1995, 11:54:24 AM1/6/95
Roll Call - HERE!!!!! :) :)

Name: Dale Chapman
Age: 28
M.S : engaged... to be married in July.
Kids: None
Employment: Software Design and Programming
Number of Sets: 30 or so (a large number of smaller sets)
Number of Pieces: Don't Know... I never thought of it :)
Oldest Set: A fairly large basic set from 1970 (or was it 71??)
Favorite Themes: Town, Technics (just got into technics)
Favorite Set: Original Rocket Launch Base - circa 1973 or so (gotta love
those quarter rounds... 40 of them)
Biggest Regret: stopped collecting for about 10 years. I just got back into it
in the past couple of years.
Biggest Set: The Airport Shuttle Monorail (size wise)
Biggest Set: A 600+ piece basic set from the mid 70's (piece wise)

Dale Chapman
dcha...@vnet.ibm.com

MarPi0591

Jan 6, 1995, 12:57:18 PM1/6/95
Name: Mario Valdes-Lora
Age: 30
M.S.: Married
Kids: 1 2/9
Employment: Attorney
Number of sets in collection: 50~60

Number of pieces: No idea
Oldest Set: 6010 (Supply Wagon) ca. 1984
Favorite Themes: Castle, Pirates
Favorite Sets: 6085 (Black Monarch's Castle); Load'n Haul Railroad

Jacob Sparre Andersen

Jan 6, 1995, 1:04:12 PM1/6/95
Name: Jacob Sparre Andersen
Age: 22
M.S.: not married
Kids: just me
Employment: grad. student + programmer
Number of sets in collection: ??? (many)
Number of pieces: ~0.1 m^3
Oldest set: Red Technic Tractor, 1978 (Not oldest, but oldest I remember)
Favorite Themes: Technics, Town
Favorite Set in Collection: Super Car

Does somebody save this?

Play well,
Jacob Sparre Andersen.
--
URL's: "mailto:spa...@nbi.dk", "http://meyer.fys.ku.dk/~sparre",
"mailto:spa...@pitt.edu" & "http://www.pitt.edu/~sparre".

Steven Rojo

Jan 6, 1995, 1:37:23 PM1/6/95

Name: Steve Rojo
Age: 26
M.S.: Single
Kids: 1 cat
Employment: Network Administrator
Number of Sets in Collection: ~30
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: 1983 (The 7824 Train Station, though I just picked it up
the other day at TRU. I just rediscovered Lego a few months ago.)
Favorite Themes: Town
Favorite Set in Collection: MetroLiner and Metro Station

Jeffrey T. Crites

Jan 6, 1995, 2:43:59 PM1/6/95

Name: Jeffrey T. Crites
Age: 26
M.S.: Single
Kids: None
Employment: Computer Operator & Programmer, Student, Owner of my
own business, and National Board Member and Founder of Epsilon
Tau Sigma National Veteran's Fraternity.
Number of Sets in Collection: 150+
Number of Pieces: 40,000+
Oldest Set: 1981 Castle
Favorite Themes: Castle (Pirates: to make neat stuff for Castle)
{guess no one knew I like castle!?.}
Favorite Set in Collection: The older castle sets and the stuff
I've made myself.

Matthew David Cowley

Jan 6, 1995, 3:51:12 PM1/6/95

Name: Matthew D. Cowley
Age: 18
M.S.: Single
Kids: What? I am a kid
Employment: College Student, Georgia Tech
Number of Sets in Collection: 20+
Number of Pieces: Never added 'em up
Oldest Set: No idea! (I'm not the collector type, I just love to play)
Favorite Themes: Space and Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: All of 'em!!!!

Just wanted to tell everybody that even at age 18, the cashiers look at me
funny. You're not alone...!

--
Matthew David Cowley
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt5471a

David Karr

Jan 6, 1995, 3:54:27 PM1/6/95
Name: David A. Karr
Age: 33
M.S.: Married
Kids: Jane 5, Polly 3 (both are LEGO "designers" "published" on WWW)
Employment: Graduate Student
Number of Sets in Collection: unknown
Number of Pieces: Approx. 5600
Oldest Set: 1963 (Something with red bricks and other stuff---you think I
remember such details that far back?)
Favorite Themes: not applicable
Favorite Set in Collection: not applicable

-- David A. Karr (ka...@cs.cornell.edu)
-- LEGO site: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/karr/lego/index.html

Scott Ostrander

Jan 6, 1995, 4:16:10 PM1/6/95

In article <3eiki5$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, LZucaro <lzu...@aol.com> wrote:
>Hey...
>
>Just wanted to start a thread here to see who's playing...

Name: Scott Ostrander
Age: 29
M.S.: Single
Kids: No thank you
Employment: Systems Administration
Number of Sets in Collection: Unknown, who keeps track of that anyway?
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: 1993 - Gave older bricks to 2nd-cousin three years ago
Favorite Themes: Castle
Favorite Set in Collection: None

Descamisado

Jan 6, 1995, 11:12:03 AM1/6/95

.

> .

Micro

Jan 6, 1995, 4:43:29 PM1/6/95

Name: Mike Yamiolkoski
Age: 22
M.S.: Single but attached
Kids: none except me
Employment: Student (Univ. Colorado @ Boulder)
Number of Sets in Collection: 150+
Number of Pieces: lots
Oldest Set: 1975 (Lunar lander)
Favorite Themes: Space, trains, FreeStyle
Favorite Set in Collection: The older-style yellow "King's Castle"

Ted Michon

Jan 6, 1995, 5:01:27 PM1/6/95
Age: 42
M.S.: Married
Kids:
Thomas age 7 (US national LEGO champion; 1992 LEGO World Cup winner)
David age 4
Both are full time LEGO builders
Employment: President, Imagination Technology Corporation (electrical
engineer)
Number of Sets in Collection: 300+
Number of Pieces: 50,000+
Oldest Set: One circa 1976 (pneumatic), all others since 1990
Favorite Themes: Trains (according to Thomas and David)
Favorite Set in Collection: Spyrius Monorail (according to Thomas)
Biggest project: 3500 brick house on display at national headquarters of
Homedco (Fountain Valley, CA)
Ted Michon Imagination Technology Corporation
mic...@ix.netcom.com Irvine, CA

Victor

Jan 6, 1995, 2:40:49 PM1/6/95
Name: Victor Parente
Age: 24
Employment: Computer Engineer, Grad. student in Education, Teacher
Number of sets: about 50
Number of pieces: ? (Almost 50 Lego people in space suits!)
Oldest Sets: I think it is called the "Universal Building Set" - It
was
the first motorized set every sold in the US back in the

mid-70's
Favorite Themes: Technic / Dacta Technic
Favorite Sets: all of the helicopter sets.

Bitman

Jan 6, 1995, 6:18:21 PM1/6/95
Name: Bill Zwicky
Age: 26
M.S.: Single
Kids: I visit my niece once in a while.
Employment: Grad student (MSCS), software engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: 18?
Number of Pieces: Not nearly enough.
Oldest Set: A fire station or something from the 70's, I think.
Favorite Themes: Mechanical widgets with Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Would be the 8880 Super Car, if I could afford it.

|\ / William R. Zwicky /
|< / U of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana /
|/itman / wrzw...@uiuc.edu /

Paul Gyugyi

Jan 6, 1995, 6:36:50 PM1/6/95
Name: Paul j. Gyugyi
Age: 28
M.S.: Married
Kids: Stephen 3, Zachary 1.5
Employment: Sr. Systems Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: dozens
Number of Pieces: I'll pay you to count them.
Oldest Set: Some red & white plane made from all flats. Flats had
squares on the bottom, and engines were made from wheel bricks.
Favorite Themes: Space
Favorite Set in Collection: Blacktron Renegade

email: pa...@gyugyi.com
lego ftp archive: ftp://earthsea.stanford.edu/pub/lego
lego www page: http://www.rahul.net/gyugyi/
--
=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
| Paul Gyugyi Paul_...@smtp.svl.trw.com |

Robert C. Barth

Jan 6, 1995, 6:48:52 PM1/6/95
Name : Robert C. Barth
Age : 20
M.S. : Not married
Kids : None.
Employment : See below.
Number of Sets in Collection : 300+.
Number of Pieces : Ack! Who knows?
Oldest Set : Some universal building set from about '78.
Favorite Themes : Town/Train
Favorite Set in Collection : Main Street

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Robert C. Barth | E-Mail: rcb...@pipeline.com
--------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
President - I-Sight(TM) Software | There's a face on Mars and
V.P. Information Systems - Communicare, Inc.| you better believe it.

Ivan Van Laningham

Jan 6, 1995, 12:00:09 PM1/6/95
Name: Ivan Van Laningham
Age: 48
M.S.: Married
Kids: 3 cats
Employment: GUI Programmer (X-Motif-Windows-OS/2...)
Number of Sets in Collection: hundreds
Number of Pieces: thousands
Oldest Set: ~1963--one of the early samsonite kits, #760 (???)
Favorite Themes: Trains, Town
Favorite Set in Collection: 4564, the brand-new yellow-engined train set.
Been collecting since: 1989 (and they didn't have lego when i was a kid)

I Live in Salt Lake City, not Provo....BYU is only where i have my
internet access.

iva...@bones.et.byu.edu
disclaimer: i am not connected with BYU in *ANY* way.
they are not responsible for what i say or do. more
importantly, i am not responsible for what they say or do.

Dik T. Winter

Jan 6, 1995, 8:34:02 PM1/6/95
In article <1995Jan6.2...@cs.cornell.edu> ka...@cs.cornell.edu (David Karr) writes:

Oh well, let me follow this example:

Name: Dik T. Winter
Age: 49 (nearly 50)
M.S.: Married
Kids: two, 14 and 11.
Employment: Scientific research, programmer, system maintenance.

Number of Sets in Collection: unknown

Number of Pieces: unknown
Oldest Set: about 1976; train sets, London double decker bus. alas, my
brother has the 1960 VW dealer.
Favorite Themes: town

Favorite Set in Collection: not applicable
--

dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj amsterdam, nederland, +31205924098
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland; e-mail: d...@cwi.nl

LZucaro

Jan 6, 1995, 8:49:32 PM1/6/95
[I'm posting this since it was accidently (I think) posted to me by mail -
Lou]

Name: Ted Michon

Age: 42
M.S.: Married
Kids:
Thomas age 7 (US national LEGO champion; 1992 LEGO World Cup winner)
David age 4
Both are full time LEGO builders
Employment: President, Imagination Technology Corporation (electrical
engineer)
Number of Sets in Collection: 300+
Number of Pieces: 50,000+

Oldest Set: one 1976 (pneumatic), all others since 1990
Favorite Themes: Trains/Ice Planet/Spyrius (according to Thomas)

Favorite Set in Collection: Spyrius Monorail (according to Thomas)

Ted Michon Imagination Technology Corporation

mic...@ix.netcom.com 4 Redonda
714 731-6060/voice 714 731-6100/fax Irvine, California 92720-1954

Scott Dawson

Jan 6, 1995, 9:01:00 PM1/6/95
Yet another recent finder of rec.toys.lego...
NAME: Scott Robert Dawson
AGE: 31
LOCATION: Greater Metropolitan Toronto
OCCUPATION AND HOBBIES: Programmer, ATE technologist, PC board repair,
animation (computer and classical), drawing, architecture and science
fiction (clearly a candidate for Legomania)
NUMBER OF SETS: Unknown. Bulk of Lego collection dates from before
1980, with recent additions after 1990
NUMBER OF PIECES: Unknown... (I suppose I could weigh them)
GENERAL OUTLOOK: I am not so much drawn by the desire to build the
pre-defined models, so my collection is not broken out into its original
sets. Rather, everything joins together for new and greater creations.

Eileen F. Keeney

Jan 6, 1995, 9:37:28 PM1/6/95
Name: Eileen F. Keeney
Age: OVER 16 (this is what I put on my Lego Club application, and they
send me their most grown-up stuff)
M.S.: Single
Kids: None, I just like to play with them, and send them home when I'm done.
Employment: Computer Programmer (or software engineer or whatever they
are calling it these days)
Number of Sets in Collection: I never counted, but I think there are
Hundreds.
Number of Pieces: Thousands and Thousands
Oldest Set: Probably the Townhouse one with the larger sized people,
because two of the people already have gray hair.
[ I suspect this set came out in the 70's ]
Favorite Themes: Technic (because I can build cool things like Ferris
Wheels and Carousels for the dolls [or minifigs] )
Trains and Ships
Sets designed to play doll house (like Paradisa and Belville)

Favorite Set in Collection: It is a tie between the Load'N'Haul railroad and
the large Pirate Ship.

Jami Stewart

Jan 6, 1995, 9:41:11 PM1/6/95

Name: Jami Stewart
Age: 26
M.S.: Single, but a parent :)
Kid: Chris, 6.
Employment: Student @ U WA
Number of Sets: 20+
Number of Pieces: (Aargh, why did you ask? Now I want to count them) ?
Oldest: ?
Favorite: No specific set, but I like Castle, *Aquatron*. My son
likes space space space. We fight over the pieces, he even wants to use
Castle pieces for space (blasphamy). (No flames, I can't spell blasphamy
right, the dictionary is holding up a bed).

Brian Sterenberg

Jan 6, 1995, 9:45:27 PM1/6/95
Name: Brian Sterenberg
Age: 25
M.S.: Single
Kids: I hope not
Employment: Graduate Student
Number of Sets in Colection: about 20
Number of Pieces: Good question
Oldest Set: A small very basic set of unknown vintage (1974?)
Favourite Theme: Technic! Technic! (Model Team is nice too)
Favourite Set in Collection: 856 Technic Bulldozer (This is Canadian #,
American # is different)
What I desperately Want But Can't Afford (especially if I'm going to get
that 4 more MB ram): AirTech Claw Rig!

jha...@interserv.com

Jan 6, 1995, 9:53:24 PM1/6/95
Name: John Harms
Age: 29
M.S.: Single
Kids: Nope
Employment: DTP/PC whiz kid at US State Dept.
Number of Sets in Collection: 100+
Number of Pieces: Unknown (fill 6 big Rubbermaid tubs)
Oldest Set: Universal set from late 60s-early 70s: also have a pre-Duplo
set of BIG (2"x5") 2x4 bricks===Mom throws nothing out
Favorite Themes: Space, Model Team, & Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Any set with lots of wing sections
Claim to LEGO fame (according to my girlfriend): Had a piece stuck in
my ear for three days. A doctor had to get it out. I was 26 at the time.

Xanthra the Usurper !

Jan 6, 1995, 2:04:06 PM1/6/95

Roll Call - HERE!

Name: Jason S. Mantor
Age: 22
M.S. : engaged... to be married in June.
Kids: None
Employment: Mechanical Engineering Student
Number of Sets: Unknown. I'm guessing 25, I started builing and have 21 so far.
Number of Pieces: 3,000 @ last inventory
Oldest Set: Ancient Red Firetruck (197?) Mini-figs w/non-movable legs !
Favorite Themes: Technics, Expert Builder (Ancient!), and Pirate
Favorite Set: 8880 Super Car
Largest Regret: I need a $70 I/O board to control my technics w/my 286!
2nd Largest Regret: I haven't had time to mold my own lego-clones.
Biggest Set: 8880 Super Car or 8860 Auto chassis, they're both pretty big.

\___ \____ \___ \___
Jason S. Mantor \___ \________ \____ \____
Mechanical Engineering Student \___ \___ \___ \_____ \_____
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute \___ \____ \_____________
Troy, New York U.S.A. \___ \____ \___ \___ \___
\___ \___ \___ \___ \___ \_ \___
Email: man...@rpi.edu \_________ \__ \________ \__ \___ \___ \__
\_____ \__ \____ \__ \___ \___ \__

Jeffrey S Markwell

Jan 6, 1995, 2:48:07 PM1/6/95
Name: Jeff Scott Markwell
Age: 19
M.S.: Single
Kids: None, luckily enough.
Employment: student, Florida State University
Number of Sets in Collection: 301
Number of Pieces: Things that make you go Hmmmm.
Oldest Set: 113 Universal Building Set and 404 Universal Building Set
both from 1978
However I have recently come across four sets with no dates
including 001 Gears and others without numbers.
Favorite Themes: Space, Model Team
Favorite Set in Collection: 497 Galaxy Explorer
8880 Super Car comes in second

Jeff S Markwell

Tallahassee

mark...@evax.eng.fsu.edu
jsm...@gold.acns.fsu.edu

Andy Rosulek

Jan 6, 1995, 10:53:40 PM1/6/95
Name: Mike James Rosulek
Age: 13
M.S.: Single, yet eligible!!
Kids: 1 pet cat.
Employment: Full-time genius, Full-time babe-magnet!! (life is tough,
ain't it?)
Number of Sets in Collection: 50 - 70 (at least 50, I counted!)
Number of Pieces: between 2,000 and 384,036
Oldest Set: 1982-3?? Probably a Basic set: just bricks, maybe Duplo
Favorite Themes: Technic, Model Team, Space
Favorite Set in Collection: Super Car (8880), SR-71, F-16, S.S. Rosulek
(last 3 are designed by me)

L8r,
Mike
,d8 __________________________________________
,d888" ,d / e e ,e, eee eee |
888888888,d88 / d8b d8b " 888 ee ,e e, Y8P |
=888888888888888K --------< e Y8b Y8b 888 888 P d88 88b Y |
888888888"Y88 \ e8b Y8b Y8b 888 888 b 888 , , |
"Y888, "Y \ e888b Y8b Y8b 888 888 8b "YeeP" "8" |
"Y8 `~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Ethan A Merritt

Jan 7, 1995, 12:53:04 AM1/7/95
Name: Ethan Merritt
Age: 42
Married?: yep, and my wife's Lego collection is even older than mine
(she'll check in separately)
Kids: Loren (9) - was head-over-heels into Lego until Magic card
mania hit this summer.
Employment: Research Faculty (Biological Structure)

Number of Sets in Collection:
who counts? It's not a collection, it's a toy, er.. tool,
er... inspiration
Number of Pieces: see above
Oldest Set: circa 1962, dunno the set number
- large town set with lots of matchbox-sized VW bugs,
ESSO trucks, big emphasis on working garage doors.
circa 1963, big gears (maybe set #002???).
Mostly bought 'em by the bag in those days, not by the set.
Claim to Fame: Recent public lecture entitled "Lego block toxins"
(no, it wasn't about toxic Lego! It was about how some
bacterial toxins seem to mix-and-match pieces as if they
were made up of molecular Lego blocks.)

Ethan A Merritt
mer...@u.washington.edu

Elam Birnbaum

Jan 7, 1995, 1:14:01 AM1/7/95
Name: Elam Birnbaum
Age: 23
M.S.: Single
Kids: Not yet, but eventually.
Employment: Manufacturing Engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: Hundreds
Number of Pieces in Collection: Around 26,000 (I have the exact number
somewhere... My Mom and I counted all my LEGO, even itemized each into
type and color!)
Oldest Set: Don't remember, I was 2 at the time! Probably some basic
set my Dad got me when we visited Holland.
Favorite Themes: Castle and Space
Favorite Set: There was a space set of a white and blue spaceship with
many laser cannons in front and two detachable pods. Really cool!
Best LEGO project: I built a castle, the surrounding charred
badlands, and an entire mountainous region (where the robin hood
people lived) and a sea shore (where the pirates landed). Also built a
detailed castle, complete with escape route for the king and queen,
several secret treasure rooms with booby traps, two gladiator arenas,
and a pair of portcullis' (sp?) and a thick sliding wall that all
together, NO army could possible penetrate! Its all in pieces now,
though. :'( My cousin the architect and I are planning an incredible
project some time in the near future!

David Small

Jan 7, 1995, 10:17:05 AM1/7/95
ok, here goes. I mostly lurk, but I'm going to attempt to
figure out how to post correctly again.

Name: David Small
Age: 29
M.S.: boyfriend
Kids: I wish
Employment: PhD student (MIT Media Lab)
Number of Sets in Collection: 100?
Number of Pieces: unkown, but I've got a 4'x8' table completely
covered - town, two levels of trains and a two-foot mountain with waterfall,
plus Neptune Discovery Lab and some Aquanauts under the table
Oldest Set: plain bricks from the 70's. Never saved those boxes
or instructions (stupid me)
Favorite Themes: trains and town

Favorite Set in Collection: Super Car

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
David Small work:617/253-4406
MIT Media Lab email:dsm...@media.mit.edu
Cambridge, Mass "please to enjoy"
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

Jami Lynn Anderson

Jan 7, 1995, 2:22:09 PM1/7/95
Name: Jami Anderson
Age: 27
M.S.: Married
Kids: 4 cats
Employment: graduate student (for not much longer!), teaching instructor

Number of Sets in Collection: dozens
Number of Pieces: probably more than I would like to admit to my husband
Oldest Set: Camouflaged Outpost
Favorite Themes: Castle (Forest People specifically), trains (Metroliner)
Favorite Set in Collection: Guarded Inn

wilson erik robert

Jan 7, 1995, 4:44:34 AM1/7/95

Name: Erik R. Wilson
Age: 39
M.S.: Married (this October)
Kids: 1 cat, two legomaniac nephews, am considering having kids of
my own solely to help me play with LEGO
Employment: Biochemist
Number of Sets in Collection: many
Number of Pieces: many x many
Oldest Set: I have a few pieces from about 1960 (they were sent to my
brother and I by our grandmother in Sweden. My brother
still has an Esso gas station from that era)
Favorite Themes: space, technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Whirlwind Rescue
Favorite Thing I have built: A pre-technic "waldo" (mid-late 60s) and
a modular space station (last year)
When I rediscovered LEGO: 1993
--
| \ o IO | "If we do not find | Erik Wilson |
|-----| o GANYMEDE |anything pleasant, at | University of Illinois |

Tim Westcott

Jan 7, 1995, 6:31:48 PM1/7/95
MDC> Name: Matthew D. Cowley
MDC> Age: 18
MDC> M.S.: Single
..
Name: Tim Westcott
Age: 18
M.S.: Single
Kids: Erm, I have a tin of SPAM I vowed never to eat!?
Employment: Student
Number of Sets in Collection: ~40
Number of Pieces: however many can fit in 130 litres..
Oldest Set: Unsure, I have some sets that appear in the '81 catalog..
Favorite Themes: Space,Castle,Model Team..
Favorite Set in Collection: Well, maybe #6980, that classic spaceship.

Timothy Charles Pepper (Wintermute)

Jan 7, 1995, 4:23:22 PM1/7/95

Name: Tim Pepper
Age: 19
M.S.: Single
Kids: none
"Occupation": computer engineering student
# Sets: about 50(normally all mixed in a big box, but I put them all
together over Christmas and took pictures..any suggestions where to
post theseonce digitized?)
# Pieces: good question...any suggestions for a way to sort/count them?
First Sets: 5th birthday I got the Alpha-1 Rocket Base #483 (1979) and
the expert builder helicopter #8840 (1981)
Oldest Sets: #483 above, old knights procession, and a little blue garage
w/ tow truck
Favorite Set: hmmm tough choice..probably one I never got..like a yellow
Technic plane in the late 80's
Favorite Theme: I mainly have older town, castle and space..none of the
newer ones really. I liked the forest men, and like the pirates,
but castle and space are probably my fav.'s

Shelly Coulter

Jan 7, 1995, 9:08:30 PM1/7/95
Name: Shelly Coulter
Age: 30ish
Long-time lurker, occasional poster:
M.S.: Single
Kids: None but a couple of god-children
Employment: Researcher/Financial Analyst
Number of sets in collection: embarassing low
Number of pieces: No idea; embarassing low
Favorite Themes: Space, pirates
Favorite Sets: love those crocodiles

wij...@max.u.washington.edu

Jan 7, 1995, 9:44:50 PM1/7/95
Name: Ellen Wijsman
Age: 40
M.S.: Married
Kids: Loren age 9 (already accounted for elsewhere in survey)
Employment: Research Associate Professor, Medical Genetics and
Biostatistics, Univ. of Washington
Number of Sets in Collection: Who knows? The early collections didn't
come in "sets" - just boxes of blocks
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: 1957 - basic blocks (yes, that is right - last survey I think
I had the record for the oldest lego! I got my first at age 3)
Favorite Themes: Space lego, architecture (not that there is much),
castles
Favorite Set in Collection: Hard to say. I don't keep track of sets.

gu...@megamed.com

Jan 7, 1995, 5:26:26 PM1/7/95
In <1995Jan6.1...@novell.com>, sr...@novell.com (Steven Rojo) writes:

|Name: Tim Cava
|Age: 12
|M.S.: Single
|Kids: None (I do have a cat though)
|Employment: Student at Sunnyvale Middle School
|Number of Sets in Collection: 40
|Number of Pieces: Unknown
|Oldest Set: Not sure, I do have some castle stuff from the mid 80's
|Favorite Themes: Technic

|Favorite Set in Collection: Super Car
|
|Tim Cava

Blalock

Jan 7, 1995, 5:30:55 PM1/7/95
Name: Sherri Blalock
Age: 29 again (OK 31)
M.S.: Married
Kids: 1 Cat
Employment: Electrical Engineer
Number of Sets in Colection: 150 +
Number of Pieces: Have no idea
Oldest Set: basic building set circa early '70s
Favourite Theme: Technic
Favourite Set in Collection: Control Lab

Chris Hiner

Jan 7, 1995, 10:18:27 PM1/7/95
Name: Chris Hiner
Age: 22
M.S.: engaged, to be married in august
Kids: Hopefully not (then I'd hafta share my Lego!)
Employment: Programming Voice Response/Fax systems
Number of Sets in Collection: I have no idea...
Number of Pieces: Lesse... 2 milk crates, 2 xerox paper cases
Oldest Set: Not sure of the year or #, but I seem to remember
a double decker bus, with something like a "Read The Legoland Times"
sticker on it.
Favorite Theme: Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Auto Chassis... (and anything
in the new pnumatics)

--
chi...@quark.gmi.edu
How do you get rid of cat fur in your Lego collection?

Rob Maguire

Jan 7, 1995, 10:27:52 PM1/7/95
Name: Bob Maguire
Age: 18
M.S.: Divorced...just kidding! Single
Kids: Not that I know of...No
Employment: University Student (UofR, Sask., Canada)
Number of Sets in Collection: 40-50 (haven't counted...rough guess)
Number of Pieces: hmmm...good question
Oldest Set: That really small cop car (smaller than the fig!)
Favorite Themes: Castle!!! Space in my earlier days...
Favorite Set in Collection: Fully Complete: 6086 Black Knight's Castle
Various pieces missing: 6980 Space Command Ship
Only a few pieces remaing: 6075 Yellow Castle
(Destroyed it as a kid, who said innocence is
bliss?!?)

Chris Airwolf Ridlon

Jan 7, 1995, 10:41:08 PM1/7/95

Name: Chris Ridlon
Age: 18
M.S.: Single
Kids: At this age? ;)
Employment: Cadet at US Air Force Academy
Number of Sets in Collection: 300+
Number of Pieces: Too many to count. . .
Oldest Set: 1977? Police Command Van with the older mini-figs- they had
no arms and a leg that was all one piece, and no faces.
Favorite Themes: Town (Flight) and Space
Favorite Set in Collection: The Airport Monorail or maybe one of the
really old spaceships- the ones that were all
grey with lots of rocket engine pieces. ;)
Also, every hook-n-ladder Lego has put out.

"Offense is the essence of \ / Cadet Christopher A. Ridlon
air power." \ ___ / CS-13 Bulldogs USAF Academy
-Gen of the AF_________________\___( )___/_________________
H.H. "Hap" Arnold \ / . \ / I represent only me!
\__\___/__/
Lockheed/Boeing F-22A Lightning II
Air Superiority Fighter

David Karr

Jan 7, 1995, 10:47:08 PM1/7/95
In article <3ek6c2$i...@newstand.syr.edu> vrpa...@mailbox.syr.edu (Victor) writes:
>Oldest Sets: I think it is called the "Universal Building Set" - It
>was
> the first motorized set every sold in the US back in the
>
> mid-70's

I don't think so. I spotted a motorized train set in November 1968
in New York. Unfortunately I received the non-motorized version.

But since you weren't yet born, of course you couldn't have noticed
that earlier motorized set. (Sorry to pull age on you; Dik Winter can
do the same to me.)

-- David A. Karr (ka...@cs.cornell.edu)
-- http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/karr/home.html

George Lawrence

Jan 8, 1995, 12:52:45 AM1/8/95
(Cool idea...)

Name: George Lawrence
Age: 28
M.S.: Married
Kids: 1 (Ashley, 1.5 years old)
Employ: Software Engineer (Norton Utilities)

Number of Sets/Pieces in Collection:
No possible clue, but my collection fills a 30 gallon trash can
and weighs about 50 pounds.

Oldest Set:
Some kind of wheels and gears set from the late 60's

Favorite Themes/Sets:
Lego monorails, Lego trains, Duplo trains

-- George

Grady Lewis Valentine III

Jan 8, 1995, 8:26:49 AM1/8/95
Name: Lewis Valentine III
Age: 23
M.S.: Single
Kids: None
Employment: Computer Science Senior, (anybody got a job?)
Number of Sets in Collection: atleast 43 That is the amount of instuctions
I have. There may be a lot more I probably lost a lot of instructions
when I was a smaller kid
Number of Pieces: If yo want to count them, go ahead
Oldest Set: 1981 Spaceship launcher (atleast that is the oldest
set of instructions I have, I am told by my parents my first set
was a universal or a basic like the call them know
Favorite Themes: Techinic, and Railroad
Favorite Set in Collection: The super car, not the latest one, the one
previous to that. I haven't got the modern super car Yet. I can't wait.

--
VALENTINE,GRADY LEWIS III
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt7155a

Carol

Jan 8, 1995, 3:11:54 AM1/8/95
Name: Andrew Carol
Age: 31
M.S.: Single
Kids: Virtual cat (That's a cat I don't own, yet)
Employment: Computer programmer/Analyst for DoD in Alaska
Number of Sets in Collection: 25+
Number of Pieces: 5,000+
Oldest Set: Parts of sets from early 70's (Mailed from home)
Favorite Themes: Technic/Dacta Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Homebuilt robots running on Dacta
Lego Control Lab via my Macintosh.

--
Andrew Carol "Could be worse. Could be raining."
ca...@alaska.net ca...@ctis.af.mil 71350...@compuserve.com

Tim Rueger

Jan 8, 1995, 11:47:01 AM1/8/95
Name: Tim Rueger
Age: 26
M.S.: Married
Kids: Not yet
Employment: IC designer, Motorola, Inc.
Number of Sets in Collection: >100
Number of Pieces: >25,000
Oldest Set: 1973, 135 Universal Building Set, 338 pieces
Favorite Themes: Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: 8857 Motorcycle (ca. 1980) - excellent
sculptural use of plates and roof bricks
Second Favorite Set in Collection: 955 Mobile Crane - *very* versatile

Chad L. Miller

Jan 8, 1995, 2:06:27 PM1/8/95

Name: Chad L. Miller
Age: 27
M.S.: Married
Kids: Joy 2.5, Haley 1
Employment: Sr. Systems Analyst
Number of Sets in Collection: >70
Number of Pieces: lots
Oldest Set: All the older ones are kept as parts.
Favorite Themes: Space, Space, and Space (maybe Aquazone)
Favorite Set in Collection: Older Space Police light & sound ship
(the name escapes me)
email: hun...@indy.net
--
Chad Miller
<hun...@indy.net>

James Edward Noel

Jan 8, 1995, 2:14:36 PM1/8/95
Name: Jim Noel
Age: 23
M.S.: Married
Kids: Zachary, age 3
Employment: Student
Number of sets in collection: 100+
Number of pieces: not enough
Oldest Set: The Moon Lander from mid 70's
Favorite Themes: Town, Castle, Pirate, Technic
Favorite set in collection: 6075 Yellow Castle

Steve Dettmann

Jan 8, 1995, 3:47:45 PM1/8/95

--

--Steve--

Steve.D...@mixcom.com

Paul Weiser

Jan 8, 1995, 5:22:08 PM1/8/95

Name: Paul Stephan Weiser
Age: 28
M.S.: single
Kids: Just one 28 year old :-).
Employment: Physics Ph.D. Student (Uni. of Melb., Australia)
Number of Sets in Collection: something approaching 1000
Number of Pieces: tens of thousands
Oldest Set: ~1965 an old London Taxi and a Universial set.
Favorite Themes: Space, Town, Pirate, castle and Technic
Favorite Sets: The Space Monorails and all the extra track packs.
Been collecting since: 1979 (Mainly Space and Town, Others 2-3 years)

Robert Schulz

Jan 8, 1995, 6:12:05 PM1/8/95
Name: Robert Schulz
Age: 27
M.S.: Single
Kids: 1 cat
Employment: Supervisor/Govt. Cable TV Channel
Number of Sets in Collection: 100+ I can find instructions too...
Number of Pieces: +/- 6 cubic ft.
Oldest Sets: early 70's
Favorite Themes: Technic/Space/Town
Favorite Set in Collection: 455 Learjet (amazing what you can do with a
bunch of plates...)

- - - -
Robert Schulz KC6UDS
rdsc...@ucdavis.edu

STEPHEN OLSON

Jan 8, 1995, 6:26:07 PM1/8/95
Name: Stephen Olson
Age: 18
M.S.: Single
Kids: None, but I have 9 brothers and sisters...
Employment: Freshman at Taylor University
Number of Sets: 50+
Number of Pieces: 5000+
Oldest Set: A police van with motorcycle from early 80's; it was a
"paddywagon" or something like that...
Favorite Theme: TOWN
Favorite Set: #6389, Fire Control Center from 1991, I think that it was a
European set because I never saw it in the stores...(subject to change because
I've ordered the metrostation from S@H.)

John Reynolds

Jan 8, 1995, 7:09:55 PM1/8/95

Name: Christopher Ayers
Age: 23
M.S.: Unattatched
Kids: None yet
Employment: Junior, Psychology, Univ. of Washington
No. of Sets: 100+
No. of Pieces: I don't know (they're stored in at least five locations)
Oldest Set: Police Car, circa 1974
Favorite Themes: Technic, original Space, Aquazone, Trains
Favorite Sets: Whirlwind Rescue, Galaxy Explorer, Seaplane (circa 1980)

Dan Current

Jan 8, 1995, 7:22:03 PM1/8/95
Name : Dan Current
Age : 20
M.S. : nope.
Kids : Just Me, Myslef, and I.
Employment : Lurker, or student, take your pick.
Number of Sets in Collection : Uh, 100+ probably.
Number of Pieces : Between 10 and 10^7.
Oldest Set : First town fire station with the people who had
moving legs and arms...
Favorite Themes : Town
Favorite Set in Collection : My 'Born to Build' LEGO shirt. ;)

-=Dan Current
curr...@carleton.edu
Brought to you by: Devious Minds Inc.

Derek Schin

Jan 8, 1995, 8:46:17 PM1/8/95

Name: Derek Schin
Age: 20
M.S.: Nope
Kids: Not that I know of
Employment: Officer-in-training (cadet at the USAF Academy)
Number of Sets in Collection: Hundreds...but whose counting?
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: Something from the mid-seventies.
Favorite Themes: Castle, Aquazone, Space, Pirate...
Favorite Set in Collection: First time around: They didn't stay together
long enough to pick a favorite. Second time around: Saucer Centurion

Derek

Anthony Michael Zayas

Jan 8, 1995, 9:25:19 PM1/8/95

Name: Anthony Zayas
Age: 18
M.S.: Single
Kids: Not yet
Employment: Student (Georgia Tech)
Number of Sets in Collection: 50+
Number of Pieces: Many
Oldest Set: early 80's (Starfleet Voyager space set (I think that's what
it's called))
Favorite Theme(s): Space
Favorite Set(s) in Collection: Big Huge Ice Planet ship (forget the name)
The one mentioned above
Alienator (Blacktron series 1)

--
Anthony Michael Zayas

uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt5367a
Internet: gt5...@prism.gatech.edu

Anthony Michael Zayas

Jan 8, 1995, 9:27:30 PM1/8/95
Me again...I also love the Spyrius series.

Anthony Michael Zayas

Jan 8, 1995, 9:33:43 PM1/8/95
magu...@HERCULES.CS.UREGINA.CA (Rob Maguire) writes:

>Oldest Set: That really small cop car (smaller than the fig!)

I still have that one!! It came with a few decals and a cop. I have no
idea where they wanted us to put the cop (oh well).

Anthony Michael Zayas

Jan 8, 1995, 9:36:52 PM1/8/95
Hey Ridlon,

If there is a fourth class cadet (is 4th class right?) there named Alex
Ackerman, tell him I said hey.

Sorry folks...I could never privately send mail through this newsgroup
program I use.

Bruce Tharp

Jan 8, 1995, 10:55:32 PM1/8/95
In article <3eiki5$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, lzu...@aol.com (LZucaro) says:

Name: Bruce Tharp
Age: 38
M.S.: Married
Kids: 2 - boy 2.5 yrs, girl 15 months
Employment: Owner, Association Management Company
Number of Sets in Collection: None - Starting on trains this month
Number of Pieces: None
Oldest Set: NA
Favorite Themes: Trains
Favorite Set in Collection: NA

Julie Walker

Jan 9, 1995, 1:39:43 AM1/9/95
Name: Julie Walker
Age: 29
M.S.: Married
Kids: 2 cats
Employment: Ph.D. student in math and occasional teacher
Number of Sets in Collection: 200+
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: Basic set from 1979
Favorite Themes: Technic & Model Team

Brian Ward

Jan 9, 1995, 6:18:16 AM1/9/95
Name: Brian Ward
Age: 22
M.S.: single
Kids: No.
Employment: Grad Student, professional time-waster
Number of Sets in Collection: 15 in Austria, zillions back in the states
Number of Pieces: lots
Oldest Set: Oldest space set is the 497 Galaxy Explorer, had many basic
sets before that
Favorite Themes: Technic, Space (mostly to do architectural disasters)
Favorite Set in Collection: 6981 Blacktron Aerial Intruder

Andy Boal

Jan 9, 1995, 8:28:52 AM1/9/95
>Name: Andy Boal
>Age: 22 today!!!
>M.S.: Single, but firmly attached and engaged :)
>Kids: My fiancee has one :)
>Employment: Student - 3rd year Economics and ACcounting at Queen's
University Belfast
>Number of Sets in Collection: 100s!
>Number of Pieces: Lost count
>Oldest Set: I've some pre-ABS bricks from my uncles. Oldest own - c. 1976 :)
>Favorite Themes: Town & Railways
>Favorite Set in Collection: 7740 High Speed train :) The 1981 original 12v
train.

Andy (now got a posting site again :)

---
Andy Boal
e-mail address: an...@panda.uiowa.edu

Jacob Sparre Andersen

Jan 9, 1995, 9:31:19 AM1/9/95
Anthony Michael Zayas (gt5...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
__________

| magu...@HERCULES.CS.UREGINA.CA (Rob Maguire) writes:
|
| >Oldest Set: That really small cop car (smaller than the fig!)
|
| I still have that one!! It came with a few decals and a cop. I have no
| idea where they wanted us to put the cop (oh well).

The one with 2*3 bricks labeled 'POLICE'? I've got three of them. There
seemed to be two different versions of this set. I'll check it out when
I get home.

Play well,
Jacob
--
URL's: "mailto:spa...@nbi.dk", "http://meyer.fys.ku.dk/~sparre",
"mailto:spa...@pitt.edu" & "http://www.pitt.edu/~sparre".
--
"We need a plan to diverge from", Fesser

Julian Fitzherbert

Jan 9, 1995, 9:37:26 AM1/9/95
Name: Julian Fitzherbert
Age: 37
M.S.: Married
Kids: 1 daughter (3 years)
Employment: Geophysicist / Software engineer : Geophysical Consultancy Company
Number of sets: Approx 10 (since 1985)
Pieces: A drawer full.
First lego: 1963
Favourite themes: Aircraft and trains (Lego and Duplo railways)

jeff findley

Jan 9, 1995, 9:57:09 AM1/9/95
Name: Jeff Findley
Age: 25
M.S.: Married
Kids: Kaitlin (almost 3 months)
Employment: Programmer at a CAD/CAM software company
Number of Sets in Collection: 30?
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: Lunar Lander (very old blue one with rover and astronauts
which were made out of normal bricks and those really old snake-like arms)
Favorite Themes: Space & Town
Favorite Set in Collection: #0497 Galaxy Explorer (LL928)

p.s. I hope someone archives these responses so we don't have to
do this more than once a year or so.
| Jeff.F...@sdrc.com | The above opinions | First things first, |
| SDRC | are my own and do | but not necessarily |
| 2000 Eastman Drive | not reflect the | in that order. |
| Milford OH 45150-2789 | opinions of SDRC. | -- Doctor Who |

Carolyn Drebert

Jan 9, 1995, 10:09:08 AM1/9/95

Name: Carolyn Drebert
Age: 44
M.S.: Married
Kids: 2 daughters,1 step-son,2 granddaughters, 2 grandsons
Employment: University of Washington, Stockroom Attendant II
Number of sets in collection: 10+ (if this includes the buckets)
Number of pieces: Not a clue but I can build a BIG town
Oldest sets: 1993? Fire Station (redesigned for Police Station, too.)
Favorite theme: Town (includes Homes, Shopping Mall, ect.
Favorite set: I don't own it yet, the Monorail. I think it is the only
way that I can have a train and not take up any more space.
I can rework it to be similar to the one we have here in Seattle.
Notes: I am very new at collecting. The best thing about being a grown-
up <G> is that I can buy if for myself and not have to ask anyone!

J Files

Jan 9, 1995, 12:52:02 PM1/9/95
Name: James S Files ["Jim!"]
Age: 22
M.S.: Alas, Single.
Kids: Do roommates count?
Employment: Student, Programmer, some-time LEGO arms dealer.
See .sig for more complete information.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR After Graduation!
Number of Sets: More than you can possibly imagine.
I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.
Ok, how's this, no space left. Have about 40 sets
that I had to take apart due to lack of space. Have 19 sets that I
haven't even put together yet, including El Dorado Fortress and Enchanted
Island. Have LEGO assembled on every available flat surface in my
room, thinking about either expanding to the living room or to my
office.
Number of Pieces: No Clue. Had a count once, but that was about 15
years ago, when it was still a reasonable thing to do.
Oldest Set: Red <Fire?> Helicopter, circa 1973, still have collapsed
box. Fire truck from same time. One other set as well, with a
blue trailer, but don't have the box or the instructions any more,
so NO idea what it was.
Favourite Theme: Castle [Black Knights, Dragon Master, CLASSIC]
Pirates [Pirates, BLUE Imperial Guard]
Favourite Set in Collection: Classic Yellow Castle
Favorite Item: Green Dragon from Dragon Masters. Viewed in
profile, and imagined to be all Red, this could be mistaken for a
Red Dragon Sagant, which is pretty cool, since that is part of
Beta's crest. Now, if only LEGO would MAKE a red dragon.

Think thats it for now.

--
\\_____________________/\___/\ ___
James S. Files, UCSanDiego '95 \___ __o __/

Glenn Lea

Jan 9, 1995, 1:17:53 PM1/9/95

Name: Glenn Lea
Age: 43
M.S.: Married
Kids: boy 3, girl 6
Employment: software engineer
Education: MS, Psychology, but that was 20 years ago
Number of Sets: maybe 20, including the kids' sets
Number of Pieces: 3000+
Oldest Set: Blue pneumatic set (8042).
Favorite Theme: Town, technics
Favorite Set in Collection: the last one I bought (currently Hook and Ladder)
--
Glenn Lea

John Eric Voltin

Jan 9, 1995, 1:23:04 PM1/9/95
Name: John Eric Voltin
Age: 24
M.S.: Single
Kids: None
Employment: ME graduate student, future archaeologist?
Number of Sets in Collection: ??, 50 (maybe?)
Number of Pieces: approximately 1.0 m^3 (count unknown)
Oldest Set: Unknown, I have several from the late 70's including
a neat fire station with three fire trucks
Favorite Themes: LEGO (since they are all compatible), I do like the
trains very much, though
Favorite Set in Collection: I like them all

John Eric Voltin
The University of Texas at Austin
bf...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu Mechanical Engineering Department
Home: (512) 835-6693 Work: (512) 835-3081

cdou...@ice.lakeheadu.ca

Jan 9, 1995, 2:35:56 PM1/9/95
In article <3eiki5$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> lzu...@aol.com (LZucaro) writes:
>From: lzu...@aol.com (LZucaro)
>Subject: Roll Call - Please Check In...
>Date: 6 Jan 1995 05:30:45 GMT

>Hey...

>Just wanted to start a thread here to see who's playing...

Name: Clare Douglas
Age: 24
M.S.: single
Kids: none (except me)
Employment: Psychology student, and p/t swim instructor
Number of Sets: about 40
Number of Pieces: 5,000
Oldest Set: I just started collecting last year
Favourite Themes: Town
Favorite Set in Collection: Pirate ship
Best accomplishment is a 1 1/2 foot unicorn

Trever Alvey

Jan 9, 1995, 5:07:47 PM1/9/95
Name: Trevor Alvey
Age: 27
M.S.: Singled
Kids: 2 cats
Employment: Power systems engineer
Number of Sets in Collection: ~20
Number of Pieces: Count all those little bits?? No Way!
Oldest Set: 1981? Technic Red Tractor with implements
Favorite Themes: Technic, Space
Favorite Set in Collection: Technic Air Claw Rig

Alexander (Sandy) McKinney

Jan 9, 1995, 5:09:35 PM1/9/95
Name: Alexander R. McKinney
Age: 26
M.S.: Single - but have a girlfriend!
Kids: nope
Employment: Graduate Student - Master's in Electrical Engineering
Number of Sets in Collection: ~100
Number of Pieces: Good bloody question... ~13 000?
Oldest Set: early 70's - the multicoloured gear set
Favorite Themes: castle, technics
Favorite Set in Collection: 6672 - Safari truck (I *love* Africa!)

-==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==-
Alexander R. (Sandy) McKinney Electrical Engineering Grad Student
mcki...@eleceng.ee.queensu.ca Queens University
Kingston, Ont., CANADA
"Yes, Officer, I am aware the posted speed limit is 100km/hr..."
-==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==- -==-

David Cook

Jan 9, 1995, 5:51:22 PM1/9/95
In article <3eiki5$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, LZucaro <lzu...@aol.com> wrote:
>Hey...
>
>Just wanted to start a thread here to see who's playing...

Me !

Name: David Cook
Age: 24
M.S.: Single (recently, <sigh>)
Kids: Distant future maybe
Employment: Assistant Computer Manager in Maths dept., also studying Arts
Number of Sets in Collection: 57 sets of instructions, some others lost.
Number of Pieces: about 11,500
Oldest Set: 394 and/or 396 ('76 or '77 ... not sure exactly)
Favourite Themes: Space, Castle
Favourite Set in Collection: Supercar (8880)
Been to Legoland: Yes ! In July last year. Great fun :)

PS: I have this crazy idea of sitting down one day and building _all_ of the
sets I have instructions for. If someone out there has 394 (a Harley Davidson
motorcycle) or 396 (a steam train) instructions, I'd like to hear from you :-)

--
David T Cook e-mail: dc...@spam.adelaide.edu.au Phone: +61 8 303 5709
Assistant Computer Manager, Stats, Pure and Applied Maths, Adelaide Uni.

Kevin Whitney

Jan 9, 1995, 5:55:09 PM1/9/95
In article <3eiki5$m...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, lzu...@aol.com (LZucaro) says:

>Hey...
>
>Just wanted to start a thread here to see who's playing...
>
>Name: Lou Zucaro
>Age: 27
>M.S.: Married
>Kids: Not yet
>Employment: Director of Development for a multimedia company
>Number of Sets in Collection: 60+
>Number of Pieces: Unknown
>Oldest Set: 1975 (Two yellow construction trucks, set # & piece count
>unknown)
>Favorite Themes: Town & Model Team
>Favorite Set in Collection: Whirl N' Wheel Super Truck

Name: Kevin Whitney
Age: 29
MS: married
Kids: 4 cats, they like to chew on LEGO anntenae and chase LEGO trains
Job: mechanical engineer, automotive exhuast emissions research
# of Sets: 50+
# of Pieces: unknown
Old Sets: gears from early '70s, red tow truck I got for my 5th
birthday (1970)
Favorite Themes: space, trains, seaports
Favorite Sets: These are usually things I make from scratch. After
returning from a fishing trip off the coast, I constructed an oil
rig like the one we tied up at. This was probably one of the most
inspired things I've built in a long time.

---
Kevin Whitney
kwhi...@swri.edu

janet lasher

Jan 9, 1995, 6:58:10 PM1/9/95

Name: Janet Lasher/Julian Kessler
Age: 30something/4.25
M.S.: Married/girls are ucky
Kids: 1 child 4.25 (just ask him -- we are answering this together)
Employment: Systems analyst/software developer/pre-schooler
Number of Sets in Colection: I have no idea/lots and lots
Number of Pieces: ditto/millions and millions
Oldest Set: circa 1990 (my nephew has all my older ones ~1980+)
Favourite Theme: Space / castles & town - mostly trains & dragons
Favourite Set in Collection: Train station (Julian out voted me)

This is Julian's first post. I think he did quite well. There seem to be
very few women on the net who are into legos..... interesting.

-janet

Jayson Entao

Jan 9, 1995, 8:36:06 PM1/9/95
Name: Jayson Entao
Age: 23
M.S.: Single
Kids: 0.0
Employment: Campus computer lab attendant
Number of Sets in Colection: 90+
Number of Pieces: Let me count them...1, 2, 3, 4,..(I'll get back to you), 5..
Oldest Set: Galaxy Explorer, 1980.
Favourite Theme: Space and Technic.
Favourite Set in Collection: Technic Super Car. As soon as it gets thru
customs.

--
|| Jayson Entao ||/// / / / / / / /
|| itl...@ucdavis.edu ||/// / / / / / / /
|| jme...@ucdavis.edu ||/// / / / / / / /

Dik T. Winter

Jan 9, 1995, 9:25:44 PM1/9/95
In article <3esiii$g...@nntp.Stanford.EDU> janet lasher <janet....@leland.stanford.edu> writes:
> This is Julian's first post. I think he did quite well.
Oh yes, certainly.

> There seem to be
> very few women on the net who are into legos..... interesting.
What I find interesting is that there are far more women in this newsgroup
than in most others I do visit.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj amsterdam, nederland, +31205924098
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland; e-mail: d...@cwi.nl

Randy Coverstone

Jan 10, 1995, 12:29:39 PM1/10/95
Name: Randy Coverstone
Age: 40
M.S.: Single
Kids: 10,11, & 10year old cat
Employment: Engineering Manager
Number of Sets in Collection: well over 1000
Number of Pieces: (est) > 200,000
Oldest Set: 1980? universal set
Favorite Themes: Technic, Train, Dacta control lab
Favorite Set in Collection: All of 'em

Thomas Boyd

Jan 10, 1995, 12:48:03 PM1/10/95
On 6 Jan 1995, LZucaro wrote:

Name: Tom Boyd
Age: 30
M.S.: Married
Kids: Due June
Employment: Grad student, mechanical engineering
Number of Sets in Collection: 200+
Number of Pieces: If I only knew...
Oldest Set: 005 (big colorful gears and lots of blocks - thanks gram)
Favorite Themes: lotsa bricks cheap
Favorite Set in Collection: There are no individual sets, they belong to
the BORG now

Phil ~Phlash~ Ashby

Jan 10, 1995, 12:53:08 PM1/10/95
Name: Philip Ashby
Age: 28
M.S.: Married
Kids: Martin 6, Robert 4, Joseph 1
Employment: Professional Software Engineer (paid hacker)
Qual: M.Eng (hons), York University, England
AMIEE.
Number of Sets in Collection: unknown
Number of Pieces: Approx. 5000
Oldest Set: 1975 Police Station (I think, I was only 8-))
Favorite Themes: none (I prefer new design challenges)
Favorite Set in Collection: The newest one (currently the Technics
helicopter / jeep set [8820?])

Phil ~Phlash~ Ashby.
Felixstowe, Suffolk, England.

Todd Lehman

Jan 10, 1995, 2:07:56 PM1/10/95
Name: Todd Lehman
Age: 28
M.S.: Married, 4 years
Kids: After I grow up
Occupation: Software Developer
First Sets: #487 and #497, way back in '78
Favorite Sets: #6876 Blacktron Alienator, #6954 Blacktron Renegade, #6939
Spyrius Saucer Centurion, #6923 M:Tron Particle Ionizer
Favorite Themes: Space, Aquazone

Joseph R. Schumacher

Jan 10, 1995, 6:01:19 PM1/10/95

Name: Joe Schumacher
Age: 33
M.S.: married
Kids: Timmy (4, chief legomaniac) and Emily (9 mo)
Employment: Engineer

Number of Sets in Collection:
Number of Pieces:
Oldest Set:
Favorite Themes: Space, & castle
Favorite Sets:
Been collecting since: 1973

David Karr

Jan 10, 1995, 9:07:55 PM1/10/95
In article <art6.3....@cornell.edu> ar...@cornell.edu (Alan Turner) writes:
>Most missed lego parts: 1x1 bricks printed with letters of the alphabet,
>including vowels with unlauts.

I still have 34 of these letter bricks. Sadly, many of the letters show
heavy wear. But it's pretty clear that none of the vowels ever carried
an umlaut. On the other hand, these were from a set sold in the US,
not Germany, so I suppose the selection was changed accordingly.

-- David A. Karr (ka...@cs.cornell.edu)
-- LEGO site: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/karr/lego/index.html

William Chang in Marr Lab

Jan 11, 1995, 7:15:17 AM1/11/95
Name: William Chang
Age: 31
M.S.: Married (soon 10 years)
Kids: Arthur, 2 (legoholic) and Sofia, 6 months
Employment: Computational biologist (CS PhD)
Number of Sets in Collection: Few (not a collector)
Number of Pieces: Not enough (but lots of dreaded Tyco for fillers)
Oldest Set: Back around 1970...
Favorite Themes: Space
Favorite Set in Collection: Whichever has unusual pieces

Perfer (can only afford) small but elegant designs. Has swing-wing
bird glider, horseshoe crab land vehicle, Star Wars inspired ships etc.

-- Bill (wch...@cshl.org)

p.s. to David Karr: Hi!

Howard Drake

Jan 11, 1995, 7:54:36 AM1/11/95
In article <3eq6qf$9...@acmez.gatech.edu>, gt5...@prism.gatech.edu (Anthony Michael Zayas) writes:

|> Name: Anthony Zayas
|> Favorite Set(s) in Collection: Big Huge Ice Planet ship (forget the name)

Anthony,
I've been thinking about getting this set, but I can't tell from the
catalog if it has any special parts or features. Would you mind posting
a review of this or maybe a mini-review listing the special parts?

Happy building.
H.

Anthony Wong

Jan 11, 1995, 2:39:30 PM1/11/95
Name: Anthony Wong
Age: 32
M.S.: Married (7.5 yrs)
Kids: Just me
Employment: Electrical Engineer (microprocessors)
Number of Sets in Collection: 30+
Number of Pieces: just the sets
Oldest Set: started collecting 3 years ago
Favorite Themes: Space, Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Multi Core Magnetizer, any Technic

Location : San Francisco Bay Area

Other: My wife and I are saving up for one of the train sets.
At one time we were thinking of getting LGB, but decided
on Lego trains instead.

Geir Atle Storhaug

Jan 12, 1995, 8:00:49 AM1/12/95

Name: Geir Atle Storhaug
Age: 32
M.S.: Married
Kids: 3 (1, 3 and 5 years old)
Employment: Scientist
Number of Sets in Collection: about 30 sets + about 50 liters of LEGO compatible bricks
Number of Pieces: Unknown
Oldest Set: ca. 1991
Favorite Themes: Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Air Tech Claw Rig
Education: M.Sc 1986 (University of Bergen, NORWAY)
--
____ ___ Geir Atle Storhaug
/ ____/\ (__ X400 : G=Geir-Atle;S=Storhaug;O=ffi;P=uninett;C=no;

Jon C. Koerber

Jan 12, 1995, 2:37:23 PM1/12/95
Name: Jon Koerber
Age: 28
M.S.: Engaged
Kids: Adopt if ever
Employment: Database Administrator, American Fidelity Corporation
Number of Sets in Collection: 12+
Number of Pieces: Approx. 5,500
Oldest Set: 1972 Universal set (For 6th birthday in Tours, France)
Favorite Themes: Anything that has moving parts (gears and junk)
Favorite Set in Collection: Original technic "car chassis" 2-spd 4cyl

Phil Tubesing

Jan 12, 1995, 5:32:33 PM1/12/95

Name: Phil Tubesing
Age: 27
M.S.: Single
Kids: No
Employment: Operations Engineer
Education: BS Mecahnical Eng, Carnegie-Mellon: MIS Ind Safety, U Minn
Number of Sets in Collection: ~12 Universal, 5 Space, ~20 Technic
Number of Pieces: More than three
Oldest Set: Lost the box along time ago. Universal set from ~1973
Favorite Themes: Technic
Favorite Set in Collection: Pneumatic Forklift

Location : Los Alamos, NM (since 1992)

Other fields: How about, the thing you have on your desk/in your pencil
case to tell others that you are a Lego addict?

1) Technic front-end loader
2) Car of my design with limites slip differential
Both on to of one of my computers

So far have been able to convert several coneheads to the world of LEGOS!!

+===================================+============================+
| Phil Tubesing tube...@lanl.gov | "They gathered from across |
| Los Alamos National Labs | the land, |
| M/S G770 MST-6 Sigma Complex | to work in the secrecy of |
| Los Alamos NM 87545 | the desert sand." |
| (505) 667-5479 | -Neil Peart |
+===================================+============================+
| ...yet another displaced Minnesotan... |
+===================================+============================+

Ben Sinclair

Jan 7, 1995, 2:37:24 PM1/7/95
Name: Ben Sinclair
Age: 16
M.S.: I don't think so. :)
Kids: Yeah, right
Employment: Student
Number of Sets in Collection: zillions
Number of Pieces: zillions^2
Oldest Set: Maybe that old Exxon gas station?
Favorite Themes: Town and Space..Aquazone! :)
Favorite Set in Collection: Hmm...

------------------------.. ____.~~~~--.___
(//////////////. //) _/ .~~----------'---------------`--------.
~~~~~~~~~\\~~~\~~~~~~~~ `/~~~/~~~.---.------------.----------'
`\\ \_________.'------/' `~~~~---~~~'
//~~~~` ... .. ~~~~~~~\.
`-.-. B...@ins.infonet.net |-||
` . ... ----------(> |-||
`---.______________.-'

Mr Justin J Watkins

Jan 13, 1995, 4:34:57 AM1/13/95
Name: Justin Watkins
Age: 23
M.S.: Married (last July). Bought the wife her first Lego set this
Christmas (Coyote Canyon).
Kids: 1 elephant and a polar bear
Employment: Educational Software Development and Evaluation, University of
Surrey, UK. [complete learning environment in Physics]
Number of Sets in Collection: At least 6
Number of Pieces: Between 5 and 10 gallons
Note my brother and I recently had to divide the lego between
us - so we did it by weight. That means we could both have boasted
twice as much lego than we actually had!
Oldest Set: Oh come on now! We played with lego before we could walk!
Favorite Themes: space, technic and recently castle!!
Favorite Set in Collection: Yes
Favorite Thing I have built: small space ships made of 1x8 1x6 thin bits
and the occasional 3x2. Ask for plans.
Email: j.wa...@surrey.ac.uk

--
j.wa...@surrey.ac.uk 01483 300800 x2360

SToMP (software teaching of Modular Physics) project
Dept. of Mech Eng
University of Surrey
GUILDFORD GU2 5XH

SillyWiz

Jan 16, 1995, 1:43:21 PM1/16/95
In article <1995Jan10....@us.dg.com> hdr...@artax.webo.dg.com (Howard Drake ) writes:
>Name: Howard Drake

I apologise for missing the original posting, so am following up down the
chain somewhere..

Name: Keith M. Lucas
Age: 22
M.S.: Single
Kids: None but several computers.
Employment: Software Engineer of a sort.
Number of Sets in Collection: many
Number of Pieces: More than my wife thinks is necessary, but she still
Oldest Set: A little bungalow with a one peice car with metal wheels. Also
set numbered '3'.
Favorite Themes: Pirate
Favorite Set in Collection: Dunno really. The big fort maybe.
Favorite Thing I have built: 6 foot long "BattleStar Galactica" ( Roadplates
for the bottoms of the landing decks, 50x50s for the bottom of the ship folks
!! :)

-- the SillyWiz --
E-mail replies are appreciated when appropriate since I don't get to read news
terrifically often and posted replies will probably get nuked first, but the
I'll miss all the flames too, which shall be such a shame I don't think.
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
"Where do you want to go today ?" | Eat Cows -- There's no need to eat
You want to go edit your CONFIG.SYS or | green things since the cows eat them
your WIN.INI or your AUTOEXEC.BAT or.. | and then you can eat the cows. Mooo!
--------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Blame me not the university. I blame them already. Yes, I know the sig is long.
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------
Keith Lucas ---- sill...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk | Kill a MuckySmurf today !!
-------------------------------------------+--------------------------------

Raymond Suke Flournoy

Jan 16, 1995, 4:12:48 PM1/16/95
I guess I better jump on the bandwagon too, if I want to be part of
this mailing list/database.

Name: Raymond S. Flournoy
Age: 28
M.S.: Single
Kids: None
Employment: Graduate student, Instructor
Number of Sets in Collection: maybe around 50?
Number of Pieces: ?
Oldest Set: some flat trees and joined-2x2 vehicle hitches from
wa-a-ay back
Favorite Themes: Castle
Favorite Piece in Collection: the ghost!

--Raymond Flournoy
flou...@cs.stanford.edu "For reasons I cannot explain
Computer Science Dept. There's some part of me wants to see
Stanford University, CA Graceland" -- P. Simon

Jordan Maynard

Jan 17, 1995, 1:57:32 AM1/17/95
Name: Jordan D. Maynard
Age: 19.8
Occupation: Student SDSU/ Product Analyst: Electronic Arts
Married: Not!
Kids: See above.
Number of sets in collection: 90+
Number of pieces: 5000+
Oldest Set: Ok, it is a Space Truck with a rocket on it and two
pure yellow Space Mini-figs without visors. Early 80s.
Favorite Themes: Castle, Space, AQUAZONE!
Favorite Set: right now I think its the Big Dragon Masters castle. 6082
Favorite thing I've built: A fantasy D&D style town that took most
of the floor space in my room. We used it for a role-playing campaign
in which all the characters were mini-figs (or dragons!). I wrote all
the rules for the combat before I ever heard of LEGOwars.

Sally_Garnaat

Jan 17, 1995, 12:37:57 PM1/17/95
>Name: Sally Garnaat Ben Lynn
>Age: 43 10 6
>M.S.: married nope nope
>Kids: yes nope nope
>Occupation: Comp App Spec student student
># Sets: 10 hundreds 25-30?
># Pieces: Hundreds Thousands and thousands hundreds
>First Sets: Majesto wkshop Duplo misc Lego 3+ plastic box
('handed down Duplos')
(but they weren't )
(ever really mine )
>Oldest Sets: " Lego (mom sold the Duplo) Lego 3+ box
(shame on Mom)
>Favorite Set: Imperial Trading Last one bought
> Post
>Favorite Theme: Town Space/Castle/ Belville
> Aquazone

Since I can't keep track of what my son has, I made a list of what instruction
books he has. It came in VERY handy at birthday/Chistmas time. I also kept
track of prices for comparison shopping. It is a nice way of seeing what
we have, but is no longer being made. Or what sets we should have bought
but didn't! (I went thru shop at home this summer and entered every item
in the catalog).

By the way, I called Dacta and ordered their catalog. The voice message
system said it would be shipped in 48 hrs. We'll see how long it takes to get
here (now that my son has spent his Christmas money!)

It is loading more messages.