LEGO Code v1.0--The Update (sorry I'm starting a new thread)

Derek Schin

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
Here's v1.0. Once again, let's keep talking about it and hashing things out.

Well, everyone else has their version of the Geek Code, so here's the LEGO
version. This is always a work in progress, so feel free to let me know if
you have any ideas. The ground rules--I wanted a code that was shorter than
others out there, so in that spirit, feel free to selectively pick and choose
which parts of the code you put in your sigfile. However, keep the order in
which the parts of the code are listed. Also, the prefix for the code will
be "LEGO:". I considered AFOL but decided on something that even the most
inner-child deprived person would understand. Also, don't worry if you don't
know how to use one of these codes; examples can be found throughout this
file. The Ratings for each part of the code consist of "+"s and "-"s, with
each additional "+" or "-" denoting the degree to which you like or dislike
that item. The descriptions of each part of the code should not be taken
literally; rather, the description given is a general statement as to your
feelings on each issue.

When describing yourself, it is sometimes desirable to have something to
identify waffling, indecision or a range of feelings. Therefore, "/" will be
used for such a purpose. Example:

LEGO: ... S-/++

Enough talk...here we go!

*THEMES*

Out of all the themes, there are some that you love, and some you love to
hate...so here's how to let everyone know which is which! Also, you'll
notice that the negative doesn't go too far down--it's all LEGO, after all.
Finally, many maniacs play with LEGO to build their own designs. This is
reflected in the Themes category with the MOC abbreviation.
Ratings (replace the "x" with relevant themes)--

x-- Why are they still selling this?
x- I wish this didn't take up as much shelf space
x Hmmmmm
x+ I own a few
x++ My NLSO/roommate/pet can pick out this theme in my collection
x+++ I buy this theme whenever I have money
x++++ They make other themes?

Place a "1," "2," and "3" after your top three themes. Place a "c" after the
theme if you're complete in it.
Everyone has a favorite set. Maybe it was the one you got when you were four
years old, maybe it's one you bought in an auction for $2,000. Simply put,
deep down inside, there's that one set that means the world to you. Don't
deny it. In the interest of space (and keeping our non-english friends in
mind) this section will just use the set number. To indicate your favorite
sets in each theme, place the set number in parentheses after the other
information for each theme. For example:

LEGO: TO+++1c(554) (I'd love to see that person's collection)

Here's the themes:

DU DUPLO
FS Freestyle/Basic
FL Fabuland
HM Homemaker
BV Belville
TO Town
BO Boats
TR Train
PA Paradisa
SP Space
CA Castle
PI Pirate/Imperial Guard/Islander
AQ Aquazone
MT Model Team
TC Technic
MOC My Own Creations

Note that, in the interest of saving space, one can seperate themes that one
feels the same about by commas and then give them one generic rating. Ex:

LEGO: TR,PA,AQ,TC++

*NUMBER OF SETS*

If you care enough to count your instruction booklets (I do), you'll know
approximately how many sets you have (not all sets have instructions, you
know!). The "#" is followed by a variable number of "+" symbols, denoting
how many sets you own.

# 0-9
#+ 10-49
#++ 50-99
#+++ 100-149
#++++ 150-199
#+++++ 200-?

Our example so far:
LEGO: FS+(1715) TO+++1c(554) PA+2(6403) SP- TC+3 #++++

*THE SPECIALIZED PIECE DEBATE*

A topic that occasionally rises on rtl is that of the specialized piece--for
example, BURPs, CRAPPs, single pieces that could be made from many pieces,
and ad nauseum. You know the drill by now.

S---- Why do they make minifigs? Talk about a specialized piece!
S--- All I buy are Freestyle sets and Buckets
S-- I _would_ have bought that set, but...
S- Is the CRAPP really necessary?
S Who gives a $%!#, it's all LEGO
S+ I use them without a second thought
S++ I've found all kinds of uses for those "specialized pieces!"
S+++ I scrounge up all of them I can find. I've built K2 out of BURPs.
S++++ I buy sets just for the specialized pieces, and throw the rest away.

*LEGO SORTING*

Do you sort your LEGO? If so, to what degree?

LS--- It's all in one big pile on the floor
LS-- I keep it in buckets, containers, shoeboxes--wherever it'll fit
LS- I sorted it once, it sucked
LS One of these days...
LS+ Regular bricks in one place, minifigs and the like segregated
LS++ It somehow...bothers...me when the bricks get out of place
LS+++ I have a seperate place for each different color minifig hand

*THE HOLES IN BAGS*

Why do _you_ think the baggies that our beloved LEGO comes in have holes in
them?

Hri Easier to rip with holes
Hrr More rip-resistant with holes
Hap If they didn't have holes, they would explode in airplanes!
Hsu So kiddies don't suffocate
Hal So the LEGO doesn't suffocate (it's alive!)
Hsa Think of how much money LEGO saves with the holes!
Hsp Think of how much money LEGO spends on the holes!
Hlp The bags weigh a LOT less with the holes (less plastic)
Haw OK, see, the holes let the air out, so it WEIGHS LESS!
H!? Who gives a rat's a**

*MEMBERSHIP IN A LEGO CLUB*

If you're a member of your respective country's LEGO club, indicate it with
an "M+" in your code.

*AUCTIONS*

A staple of rtl is the LEGO auction. Auctions are one way of making sure you
don't get the LEGO set you want.

A--- I unsubscribed from the group once 'cause of all the auctions
A-- Money-grubbing sales-mongering scum! I hate auctions!
A- Would you at least put 'Auction' in the title so I can killfile it?
A Enh.
A+ Auctions are fine. I may have even bought a set in one.
A++ I've sold a few items in an auction.
A+++ I spend oodles on auctions each year, and sell oodles to pay for it.
A++++ I financed my wedding via an auction

*AGE AND SEX*

For this category, since not everyone is still a young pup, you can just put
the year you were born instead of your age ;)
Actually, the real reason is ease--your age changes, while the year you were
born doesn't. Hence, less editing over time. It's simple--use a "YB" with
the last two numbers of the year, followed by "m" or "f." The final example:

LEGO: FS+(1715) TO+++1c(554) PA+2(6403) SP- TC+3 #++++ S-/++ LS+ Hsu M+ YB63f
Thanks to the following people for their help and suggestions (even if they
don't know it)

Jeff Teubner je...@teubner.com
J. D. Forinash fox...@cc.gatech.edu
David A. Karr ka...@cs.cornell.edu
Doug Finney DFI...@Jetson.UH.EDU
Jason E. Pierce jpi...@stellar.tamu.edu
Keith Lucas sill...@wardrobe.demon.co.uk

That's all for now. If you have any additional comments, suggestions, or
hate mail, post it to rec.toys.lego or email it to me at
schindf96%cs...@cadetmail.usafa.af.mil
Play Well!