RTAFD Made me Toy Crazy!!

1 view

Aponce

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
We hate them, curse them, make fun of them and yet...some have already
admitted to owning Beanies, so I too will come clean...I have the set
of Mulan Beanies! The only justification that I can offer is that
Mushu makes a great Taun Taun substitute for many figures. (Talking
Mushu already freaked me out, though, when he fell off the scanner and
shouted: "I am Mushu! My powers are beyond mortal imagination!" at 3
AM!) I got them for a friend and ended up keeping them...Sounds kinda
like rot syndrome, doesn't it?

Oh, but that's not the end of it...on the contrary, that was just the
start! Y'see, reading RTAFD has slowly reached some subconscious
region of my mind and filled my head with funny messages!

It doesn't stop...Knights of Tir Na Nog...Dark Ages...FC's...Those
little voices just *won't* stop...

I resisted as long as I could, but it was only a matter of time before
I finally caved in. I can't believe it...I've just bought a bunch of
Masters of the Universe figures! And I even got some She-Ra dollies.

She-Ra dollies?!!

But the last straw came when I realized I had spent the last three
hours grooming them! Yup, shampooing their hair, cleaning them up,
and even putting little rollers on their heads to get the hair all
wavy again! (Ok, that was my mom's idea...) Hey, they were messed up
when I got them, ok? ;)

Yes, I've officially gone toy crazy today. So I guess I'm the latest
hapless victim to be influenced by the dark side of RTAFD! <sniff>
Just when I was gonna reduce my toy spending you all had to get me
interested in all sorts of cool toys again. There, are you happy?
Are you?!! (Aponce breaks down into a sobbing mess...)

Aponce
"Darn it, Catra's hair isn't done yet!" <brush, brush> ;)

Check out my Xena Art Gallery, with a few customized figures, at:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/2296/
(My cheesy plug to promote my site! ;)

uro...@vmmc.org

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
In article <35c6a085...@news.flash.net>,
***pon...@flash.net*** wrote:

> I resisted as long as I could, but it was only a matter of time before
> I finally caved in. I can't believe it...I've just bought a bunch of
> Masters of the Universe figures!

Hey, they're one of my favorite lines! I've got a near-complete collection of
loose figures. Now if I can only find an Eternia playset . . .

And I even got some She-Ra dollies.

> She-Ra dollies?!!
>
> But the last straw came when I realized I had spent the last three
> hours grooming them! Yup, shampooing their hair, cleaning them up,
> and even putting little rollers on their heads to get the hair all
> wavy again! (Ok, that was my mom's idea...) Hey, they were messed up
> when I got them, ok? ;)

Just make sure you lock the door when you do this, all right? Otherwise,
you'll have a hard time explaining matters! ;)

> Yes, I've officially gone toy crazy today. So I guess I'm the latest
> hapless victim to be influenced by the dark side of RTAFD! <sniff>
> Just when I was gonna reduce my toy spending you all had to get me
> interested in all sorts of cool toys again. There, are you happy?
> Are you?!! (Aponce breaks down into a sobbing mess...)

Of course, we're happy! If we're going to be broke buying toys, everyone
should be reduced to the same state!

Viet-Nam

> Aponce
> "Darn it, Catra's hair isn't done yet!" <brush, brush> ;)
>
> Check out my Xena Art Gallery, with a few customized figures, at:
> http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/2296/
> (My cheesy plug to promote my site! ;)

wine

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
Aponce wrote:

> We hate them, curse them, make fun of them and yet...some have already
> admitted to owning Beanies, so I too will come clean...I have the set
> of Mulan Beanies! The only justification that I can offer is that
> Mushu makes a great Taun Taun substitute for many figures. (Talking
> Mushu already freaked me out, though, when he fell off the scanner and
> shouted: "I am Mushu! My powers are beyond mortal imagination!" at 3
> AM!) I got them for a friend and ended up keeping them...Sounds kinda
> like rot syndrome, doesn't it?

*sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple gun
to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....

wine
"who hopes it was just temporary insanity"

--
Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.

Clifford Blanchette

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
In article <35BADA08...@ican.net>,

wine <wi...@ican.ifyouasknicely.net> wrote:

>*sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
>owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple gun
>to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....
>
>wine
>"who hopes it was just temporary insanity"

*rotfl*

Priceless, wine. Absolutely priceless!

-Cliff (looking for his nail gun and new Count Chocula beanie...)
--
\ /\ Cliff Blanchette
^_/ \ / \^^\ ban...@leland.stanford.edu

Ryan Kasnick

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
I know. I'm now the ashamed owner of a little turtle and dog.
--Ryan--
"I just got an idea! Spawn Beanie Babies! CompleTe with guns; and when
you squeeze them, liquids ooze out! I'd buy them."

Jason Dorough

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
***pon...@flash.net*** (Aponce) wrote:
>Yes, I've officially gone toy crazy today. So I guess I'm the latest
>hapless victim to be influenced by the dark side of RTAFD! <sniff>
>Just when I was gonna reduce my toy spending you all had to get me
>interested in all sorts of cool toys again. There, are you happy?
>Are you?!! (Aponce breaks down into a sobbing mess...)

This is the kind of story I love to hear. So many people are getting
into the hobby because of "investment potential" or "calculated
resale." It's great to hear that more and more people are going toy
crazy for the simple love of toys.

-Jason

Joan Pixie

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 00:26:00 -0700, wine <wi...@ican.net> wrote:

>Aponce wrote:
>
>> We hate them, curse them, make fun of them and yet...some have already
>> admitted to owning Beanies, so I too will come clean...I have the set
>> of Mulan Beanies! The only justification that I can offer is that
>> Mushu makes a great Taun Taun substitute for many figures. (Talking
>> Mushu already freaked me out, though, when he fell off the scanner and
>> shouted: "I am Mushu! My powers are beyond mortal imagination!" at 3
>> AM!) I got them for a friend and ended up keeping them...Sounds kinda
>> like rot syndrome, doesn't it?
>>

>*sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
>owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple gun
>to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....

hEEEEEY Wiiiiiine, just so you know, that's where my (now 35) beanie
army started. I just saw the little bat, and I had to have him.
"Ohhhh, he's so cute, look at that face..." And then I was given a
Kitty. And a Unicorn. and a Dragon, and now I have a whole bunch of
them. (I just bought one of those kid's stuffed animal chains to
contain them a bit more, though I need more than the 10 hooks they
supplied).

^i^ pixie, who thinks wine will come to the dark side.

--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/
Empress of rec.toys.action-figures
"why don't those stupid idiots let me into their crappy club for jerks?"
--Homer Simpson
(draw little hearts here) JS (draw some more hearts)

wine

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
Joan Pixie wrote:

> >*sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
> >owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple gun
> >to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....
>
> hEEEEEY Wiiiiiine, just so you know, that's where my (now 35) beanie
> army started. I just saw the little bat, and I had to have him.
> "Ohhhh, he's so cute, look at that face..." And then I was given a
> Kitty. And a Unicorn. and a Dragon, and now I have a whole bunch of
> them. (I just bought one of those kid's stuffed animal chains to
> contain them a bit more, though I need more than the 10 hooks they
> supplied).

Actually Pixie, I was thinking of picking a bunch up, taking them apart
and sewing a big beanie-baby skin rug for those cold winter nights ...
or maybe a beanie-fur coat that I can wear to toy shows ... imagine
the fun .... imagine the hysteria ... imagine being drawn and
quartered by beanie-obsessives -- painful, but o so worth it ;-p

> ^i^ pixie, who thinks wine will come to the dark side.

Ain't even nowhere close girlfriend ... *g*

wine

Bubba Bo Bob Fett

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
wine wrote:

> Joan Pixie wrote:
>
> > ^i^ pixie, who thinks wine will come to the dark side.
>
> Ain't even nowhere close girlfriend ... *g*

And I'll make sure she doesn't go to the dark side.

Bubba Bo Bob Fett- aka Beanie Hater on the beanie NGs

wine

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
Joan Pixie wrote:

> ^i^ pixie, standing at the canadian border, shaking a bag of cute and
> cuddly beanies in the general direction of wine. Sure you don't want
> a peek??

Sure ... I need something special for the collar ... how about that
multi-coloured bear?

wine
"Peace, baby *g*"

Daniel P Wakerhauser

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
to wi...@ican.ifyouasknicely.net

wine wrote:

> Actually Pixie, I was thinking of picking a bunch up, taking them apart
> and sewing a big beanie-baby skin rug for those cold winter nights ...
> or maybe a beanie-fur coat that I can wear to toy shows ... imagine
> the fun .... imagine the hysteria ... imagine being drawn and
> quartered by beanie-obsessives -- painful, but o so worth it ;-p

a beanie bear skin rug for all those independent Co. females who don't seem to
have any clothes to wear, what a great idea.

However, I must say that this post has amazing timeing since "Viva Variety"
just did a Star Trek game show with a grand prize of a Tribble fur coat!

ro...@jlc.net

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
In article <35BADA08...@ican.net>,

wi...@ican.ifyouasknicely.net wrote:
> Aponce wrote:
>
> > We hate them, curse them, make fun of them and yet...some have already
> > admitted to owning Beanies, so I too will come clean...I have the set
> > of Mulan Beanies! The only justification that I can offer is that
> > Mushu makes a great Taun Taun substitute for many figures. (Talking
> > Mushu already freaked me out, though, when he fell off the scanner and
> > shouted: "I am Mushu! My powers are beyond mortal imagination!" at 3
> > AM!) I got them for a friend and ended up keeping them...Sounds kinda
> > like rot syndrome, doesn't it?
> >

> *sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
> owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple gun
> to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....
>
> wine
> "who hopes it was just temporary insanity"

I like your style, Wine! The Meanie Beanies appeal to me. I voluntarily
bought both Splat the Road Kill Cat (what I threaten doing with my 3 felines
sometimes) and Lucky the one-footed rabbit. They appeal to my morbid sense of
humor. This could become a habit. I'm eyeing Dalmutation and
Velocicrapper....

I also have the pleasure(?) of living with a 10 year-old beany baby
collector. Fortunately she recognizes that they have more play value than
monetary value and immediately rips the tags off just before inviting them in
for some imaginative play. I found her holy grail today at a toy show (THANKS
Bev and Byrna for telling am about the show!) at a price I could live with -
I found Princess for $30. Yeah, I know it's more than it's worth, but it's
the cheapest price I've seen so far and all the other ones at the show were
listed between $40 and $60. I know Alexi really wants this one and she knows
they cost more than I'm willing to spend on them. So I think she's going to
be pretty surprised in October when she gets one for her birthday. I have no
doubt she will be extremely appreciative of the gift and since the teenage
years aren't too far off, I need to gather as much appreciation as I can get
NOW! *grin* Besides, she doesn't have to know that I got it for less than
what she's seen them listed for. I can milk her appreciation for all its
worth....*strategic grin*

The saddest thing I heard at today's show though was a mother (my assumption)
saying to her daughter (age 7 to 8) regarding purchasing a beany baby, "But
if I buy that for you, you won't be able to play with it. You'll have to keep
it in its little (clear) box." That's SAD! I'm going to smile when Alexi rips
the tag off of her Princess BB and enjoy hearing of their adventures
together.

Roxi

Joan Pixie

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:16:12 -0700, wine <wi...@ican.net> wrote:

>Actually Pixie, I was thinking of picking a bunch up, taking them apart
>and sewing a big beanie-baby skin rug for those cold winter nights ...
>or maybe a beanie-fur coat that I can wear to toy shows ... imagine
>the fun .... imagine the hysteria ... imagine being drawn and
>quartered by beanie-obsessives -- painful, but o so worth it ;-p

LOL!!! Oh baby, that's a coat! I think people would be downright
horrified. If I find any more $5 Princess bears, after Marcia gets
hers, it's yours, for the center of the great coat.

>> ^i^ pixie, who thinks wine will come to the dark side.
>
>Ain't even nowhere close girlfriend ... *g*

^i^ pixie, standing at the canadian border, shaking a bag of cute and

cuddly beanies in the general direction of wine. Sure you don't want
a peek??

--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/--/

Aponce

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998 19:51:17 GMT, uro...@vmmc.org wrote:

>Hey, they're one of my favorite lines! I've got a near-complete collection of
>loose figures. Now if I can only find an Eternia playset . . .

How cool...MOTU is one of my childhood favs as well! I've been
looking through my old toys for anything and...well, that's a story
for another post. ;)

>And I even got some She-Ra dollies.

I dunno why, but these figures became instant favorites when I took
them out of the box! Maybe it's their connection to MOTU or my sudden
desire to recreate the Amazon Nation. (Or maybe I just snapped! <G>)

>> But the last straw came when I realized I had spent the last three
>> hours grooming them! Yup, shampooing their hair, cleaning them up,
>> and even putting little rollers on their heads to get the hair all
>> wavy again! (Ok, that was my mom's idea...) Hey, they were messed up
>> when I got them, ok? ;)
>
>Just make sure you lock the door when you do this, all right? Otherwise,
>you'll have a hard time explaining matters! ;)

Too late! My friend came over to give me a surprise package (How
cool...he got me a Gabrielle action figure!) that same day. Normally
he would've stayed awhile, but when he saw the little dollies over the
kitchen counter with their hair in rollers, he suddenly had to go. He
just handed me Gabrielle and slowly backed away as I gleefully showed
my new toy to my dollies and declared: "Bow before your Amazon
Princess!" ;)

>Of course, we're happy! If we're going to be broke buying toys, everyone
>should be reduced to the same state!

Speak for yourself! I, for one, am not happy...I'm giddy! Giddy of
anticipation for the rest of my MOTU packages to come in this week!
And when I get my Xena figures, I'll probably get *all* my toys
together, throw the bed to the side and have an all-out war in the
middle of my room! ;)

Aponce
"I'd better start drawing out the battle lines!"

rot

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Joan Pixie wrote:

> ^i^ pixie, standing at the canadian border, shaking a bag of cute and
> cuddly beanies in the general direction of wine. Sure you don't want
> a peek??

out storms rot with a hockey stick screaming, "take your filthy american ways
and begone!", throwing tubs of poutine at the scurrying pixie
rot
"damn beanie peddlars... nice rack tho"

--
"the chief enemy of creativity is good taste" - Picasso
real address: gee...@ican.net

rot

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Aponce wrote:

> Yes, I've officially gone toy crazy today. So I guess I'm the latest
> hapless victim to be influenced by the dark side of RTAFD! <sniff>
> Just when I was gonna reduce my toy spending you all had to get me
> interested in all sorts of cool toys again. There, are you happy?
> Are you?!! (Aponce breaks down into a sobbing mess...)

i warned y'all about that nasty virus going around [it seems to start out
with some sort of heman influence... tho beanies and thundercats are other
good signs]. i think we had better quarantine rtaf-d right away... there's
no telling how far or fast this could spread... and imagine if it gets
over to the original rtaf and dethpike or nugenic catch it and start
buying up all the knights of eggnog just cause they're so cool. egads!
rot
"i love virus movies"

rot

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

ro...@jlc.net wrote:

> I'm going to smile when Alexi rips
> the tag off of her Princess BB and enjoy hearing of their adventures
> together.

after a quick discussion with wine.... all you beanie collecters that rip off the
tags, we need those tags for wine's "coat of many beanies"... and of course, they
all need to have those little plastic protectors on too.
rot
"who will personally assist wine in replicating the really "rare" beanies for
better shock value"

Joan Pixie

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:51:38 GMT, ro...@jlc.net wrote:

>The saddest thing I heard at today's show though was a mother (my assumption)
>saying to her daughter (age 7 to 8) regarding purchasing a beany baby, "But
>if I buy that for you, you won't be able to play with it. You'll have to keep

>it in its little (clear) box." That's SAD! I'm going to smile when Alexi rips

>the tag off of her Princess BB and enjoy hearing of their adventures
>together.

whoah... that is SO sad. How could someone buy their kid a toy and
then make them keep it in a stupid box? *sigh* some people _really_
don't get it.

^i^ pixie, who is disgusted by the way people are suckered in by the
"trends" of "value". Anyone who thinks these are gonna be worth a damn
penny in 5 years is insane.

Joan Pixie

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:40:36 -0700, rot <gee...@ican.nett> wrote:

>out storms rot with a hockey stick screaming, "take your filthy american ways
>and begone!", throwing tubs of poutine at the scurrying pixie

Poutine is known as Disco Fries here! I'm not afraid of your fries!
no way!

>rot
>"damn beanie peddlars... nice rack tho"

ummm... ummmm...
thanks?

^i^ pixie, who wonders why they all think about poutine all the time.

Gareee

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Joan Pixie wrote in message <35bc9edd...@news.cloud9.com>...

>On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:40:36 -0700, rot <gee...@ican.nett> wrote:
>
>>out storms rot with a hockey stick screaming, "take your filthy american
ways
>>and begone!", throwing tubs of poutine at the scurrying pixie
>Poutine is known as Disco Fries here! I'm not afraid of your fries!
hearts)

Poutine?? Disco fries?? what the HELL are you people talking about??

Or is this another of those odd things like Orbit.... (that drink with the
gummy things in it you've been mentioning??)

(Heat must be kicking back in again! LOL!!)
Gary Tabar Jr,
@ Da Mouzzz...
EMAIL: gareee...@worldnet.att.net
INSTANT ONLINE EMAIL: 188...@pager.mirabilis.com
HOMEPAGE (Custom Action Figures, Model Pics, Disney Oddities, Godzilla
Tribe, Lightwave 3D renderings, Wallpaper, Gorilla Falls info ):
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/ellison/86/index.html

Ryan Kasnick

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
I can't resist. Make it a turtle neck!
--Ryan--
"They're not bad jokes, just misunderstood."

Ryan Kasnick

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
Then maybe you'll be happy to know that a "Virus" movie, based off the
comic book, is coming out soon complete with a line of action figures.
I've seen pictures of the movie and the figures. There's also going to
be an exclusive figure of one of the characters infected with the virus,
although I can't remember who it is and who's selling it.
--Ryan--

rot wrote:
><snipped>

rot

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Joan Pixie wrote:

> whoah... that is SO sad. How could someone buy their kid a toy and
> then make them keep it in a stupid box? *sigh* some people _really_
> don't get it.
>
> ^i^ pixie, who is disgusted by the way people are suckered in by the
> "trends" of "value". Anyone who thinks these are gonna be worth a damn
> penny in 5 years is insane.

my dad bought us a slot car racing set for christmas one year.... he wouldn't let
us play with it either.
rot
"but that's because he and his football buddies were always embroiled in
"important" races all the time"

wine

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
Ryan Kasnick wrote:

> I can't resist. Make it a turtle neck!
> --Ryan--
> "They're not bad jokes, just misunderstood."

Oooooh ... that was almost bad enough to make me hold
my nose and run screaming from the room .... and I gotta
tell ya, that's not easily done -- just ask rot *g*

wine
"keep 'em coming Ryan ..."

Ryan Kasnick

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98
Hey, It's a living.
--Ryan--

LeAnne Davis

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
wine wrote:

> *sigh* ... I know what you mean ... I am now the somewhat perplexed
> owner of a little brown bat beanie ... then again, I used the staple
> gun to stick him to the wall, so all is not *quite* lost ....
>
> wine
> "who hopes it was just temporary insanity"

temporary? I've been considering a purchase of some meanies for dog toys...anyone know who
well they hold up with chi-wa-was tossing them around & chewing on them? toyz marketed for
kidz generally last longer than those marketed for dogz...

the only beanie we have is a teenie beanie (the cow) that we found in the middle of SH34
with tire tracks across it...the dogz love it...
--
LeAnne Davis, CQE, CPT mailto:LeAnne...@ti.com
Mechanical Products Configuration Manager 972-952-5620

mar...@netcom.no.spam.com

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
In article <35bc9d72...@news.cloud9.com> don'tspam...@cloud9.net (Joan Pixie) writes:
>whoah... that is SO sad. How could someone buy their kid a toy and
>then make them keep it in a stupid box? *sigh* some people _really_
>don't get it.

Overheard in front a a beanie display, parent to child: "Now make sure to get
one with a good tag, you know they're worth more".

Yeah, this kid is going to have good memories of toys.

Marcia.
1:1
--
Marcia Bednarcyk. ADDRESSES: mar...@netcom.com
(remove the X's for real addresses) mar...@calico.litterbox.com

tasha...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
to tash...@tiac.net
In article <marciaEw...@netcom.com>,
mar...@netcom.no.spam.com wrote:

> Overheard in front a a beanie display, parent to child: "Now make sure to get
> one with a good tag, you know they're worth more".

Oh this was one which I heard last week..the day I found Erin (for those in
the know). There was a limit of two per style last week at a Hallmark store
and for the first time this place was selling their "hot" beanies for cost
and not for $50 each. A mother and son had 3 Erins and a bunch of other
items. The lady at the register said, "Sorry only two of each per customer."
The boy, about 6 years old says to the mother, "Its ok..I can buy the third
one and this way we can sell it for at least $50." And to think I was
actually happy for the kid because he was getting one.

Scalper school..today beanie babies..tomorrow SW figs!

L.A.