Dealing with dogs

rem48

Jan 10, 2008, 5:54:14 PM1/10/08

Tried "search" and didn't find anything so sorry if this is redundant. I
live in the country and it is nothing for a dog or a couple dogs to
wreck my rides by coming out after me. I have been knocked off my 36
but never bit. I was wondering if some of you have had these problems
and how you deal with them. Had a German shepherd try to get my leg
today and I am getting pretty tired of it. I'm sure you all come across
this especially if you are doing distance rides. THanks.

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com

maestro8

Jan 10, 2008, 5:59:12 PM1/10/08

US Postal workers carry pepper spray for dealing with dogs.

I'd suggest you do the same if you're concerned.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

Jim_The_IT_Technician

Jan 10, 2008, 6:04:41 PM1/10/08

only problem i have ever had was when some kids that for some reason
dislike me let their dog loose at me. sure, it was a jack russell but
its the principle of it.

--
Jim_The_IT_Technician

-*I is bare safe blood.*-
Jim_The_IT_Technician's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15343

Joseppi

Jan 10, 2008, 6:27:27 PM1/10/08

rem48 wrote:
> Tried "search" and didn't find anything so sorry if this is redundant. I
> live in the country and it is nothing for a dog or a couple dogs to
> wreck my rides by coming out after me. I have been knocked off my 36
> but never bit. I was wondering if some of you have had these problems
> and how you deal with them. Had a German shepherd try to get my leg
> today and I am getting pretty tired of it. I'm sure you all come across
> this especially if you are doing distance rides. THanks.

Absolutely! When an unrestrained dog sees me, it always chases me down,
but I've never been knocked off (I've had a few close calls). All I
really do to deter them is make eye contact with them while riding and
make all kinds of hissing noises. As long as you make yourself out to
look threatening, they'll back down eventually without risking any real
physical contact with you. At least that's been my experience so far.

--
Joseppi

'Team Freestyle' (http://silentaftermath.com/)

'Team Roadshow' (http://teamroadshow.com/)
Joseppi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14145

kington99

Jan 10, 2008, 6:34:54 PM1/10/08

I've been bitten in the leg while riding by a dog. Ususally if a dog is
making to attack me then i dismount and stand with the uni across the
front of me, it makes an effective barrier. I have more of a problem
with them getting in the way or running straight towards me, as their
owners don't have the decency to control them. I've often wondered
about getting a dog whistle, anyone tried one?

--
kington99

Dave

saskatchewanian

Jan 10, 2008, 6:31:14 PM1/10/08

The closest thing to that I have experienced was the time that I was
charged by a bear while on my 36er this summer. I dismounted and picked
up the uni like a club and made myself as menacing as possible. A uni
is heavy enough to deal some damage and still small enough to not be to
cumbersome. The bear stopped about two meters away and after a few
minutes lumbered off so I never tested the uni as a weapon theory, and
I hope you don't have to either.

--
saskatchewanian
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

Joseppi

Jan 10, 2008, 6:44:19 PM1/10/08

Tire shredders should do the trick........might not end well for the dog
though...

--
Joseppi

'Team Freestyle' (http://silentaftermath.com/)

'Team Roadshow' (http://teamroadshow.com/)
Joseppi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14145

pedrotejada

Jan 10, 2008, 6:47:09 PM1/10/08

Here in Brazil the some postal workers carry Tasers (Eletric Guns!)...

A long time ago i was on my 26" in my home-field... And a dog chased
me... A Pit Bull of my neighbor... But my father was in his trial
motorcycle and the dog ran of the noise...

saskatchewanian, A bear is not a very friendly animal!... You have luck
or bears are more friendly than they seems!?

And can I quote this on my sig?

"I never tested the uni as a weapon theory, and I hope you don't have
to either."

I Liked that!

Bye!

--
pedrotejada

Unicycle in Brazil!
São Paulo-SP :D

Sorry about the terrible english!
pedrotejada's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14471

Unibugg

Jan 10, 2008, 6:50:55 PM1/10/08

Wow.. I can relate to nearly every post so far...
um Not the bear. :eek:

I've had people find it hilarious that their dog is chasing me. How
hilarious will it be for them if I UPD on TOP of their dog. That
almost happened once. Stupid little tiny dog ran up to me yapping
around. He was in front of me, then behind me.. I would have gotten
off but he was darting everywhere and I could only imagine myself
squashing him. I just kept riding until they finally stopped laughing
and had to run up to catch him.

Larger dogs though.. I don't know whether to get off and confront them
or just keep riding hoping they won't actually grab me. I would much
rather get off when I am in control then take a chance of a UPD and be
at the dog's mercy.

Hissing sounds like a good idea. If it were an every day event I would
probably carry one of those horns they use during football games.

I'm watching this thread for more ideas as it really can ruin a ride.

--
Unibugg

johnfoss wrote:
> If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves
> you're human. :)
Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480

Unibugg

Jan 10, 2008, 7:05:42 PM1/10/08

Excuse the double post..

But isn't it funny that on the same day we have a thread about dogs off
leashes and unis on leashes?

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66887

rem48

Jan 10, 2008, 8:05:56 PM1/10/08

yeh, I think the leash thing got me thinking. As for ideas.. I have
considered getting off the uni and confronting them but them I think
you are asking for trouble. Can't swing a 36 as fast as a dog can move
out of the way.
As for the bear.. WOW!
I have considered pepper spray. Do any one you really use that stuff
on dogs? Does it work? I would love to "taze" them but don't you have
to detach the leads? I think that could be dangerous in itself! Ha!
There has to be some lightweight deterent we can carry. There are a lot
of rural routes that would be a blast if the dogs weren't there. As for
the people laughing I have had that too with a pit bull after me. Boy
was I torqued! I used a few choice expletives on them.

--
rem48
rem48's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15538

Jim

Jan 10, 2008, 8:43:58 PM1/10/08

'this' (http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/sc/shopexd.asp?id=218) was
more the item I had in mind not the expensive kit in my last post

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

Jim

Jan 10, 2008, 8:31:58 PM1/10/08

You can get 'ultrasonic dog deterrers'
(http://www.futurehorizons.net/sonic.htm) I haven't tried them but have
heard them used for training dogs not to misbehave. I think they would
be a better response than pepper spray for annoying rather than
dangerous dogs, after all you don't want some dog owner suing you for
vets bills after pepper spraying their dog.
Might be a bit cumbersome to carry on a unicycle

jim

--
Jim
Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416

cody

Jan 10, 2008, 8:49:40 PM1/10/08

Joseppi wrote:
> Absolutely! When an unrestrained dog sees me, it always chases me down,
> but I've never been knocked off (I've had a few close calls). All I
> really do to deter them is make eye contact with them while riding and
> make all kinds of hissing noises. As long as you make yourself out to
> look threatening, they'll back down eventually without risking any real
> physical contact with you. At least that's been my experience so far.

Wow I can totally imagine the comments from people who see you riding
down the street on a unicycle hissing at dogs;) if they didn't already
think you were strange they would know.

--
cody
cody's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15910

zfreak220

Jan 10, 2008, 8:51:13 PM1/10/08

'this might work.' (http://tinyurl.com/2mfwn5)

'but this is cheaper and possibly as effective.'
(http://tinyurl.com/2y8nje)

--
zfreak220

You'll get hurt if you don't land it.
zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Wheel Rider

Jan 10, 2008, 8:59:45 PM1/10/08

I was 'attacked' (http://tinyurl.com/yohou3) by several dogs.

I have heard that yelling "no" will usually stop a dog because that is
something most dogs (and small children :rolleyes: ) understand.
Sometimes that works. I have been successful with out-racing small
dogs.

I would not attempt to mace or tazer a dog while riding my unicycle. I
have found that a quick dismount and using the unicycle as a shield is
most effective. It prevents injury to the rider and lawsuits from the
dog owner. The dog usually starts backing off as soon as I start coming
down off the unicycle.

My most recent dog experience was with a yappy poodle. The dog's owner
was on the other end of the leash and she just laughed while the dog
almost got caught in my Coker wheel. :mad:

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

maestro8

Jan 10, 2008, 9:14:26 PM1/10/08

Wheel Rider wrote:
> I would not attempt to mace or tazer a dog while riding my unicycle...

> It prevents injury to the rider and lawsuits from the dog owner. The
> dog usually starts backing off as soon as I start coming down off the
> unicycle.

The mace is to prevent injury to the rider. If you're being attacked,
why perform some unproven martial arts using your unicycle as a weapon,
when you know a quick squirt of mace will do the trick?

Lawsuits are a moot point. If you're being attacked, you have the
right to defend yourself. If anything, you're preventing lawsuits
against the dog owner.

In my experience with dogs, dismounting the unicycle gives 'em an
easier shot at my legs. I've only been bitten once, but that was
enough for me.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

CoreTechs

Jan 11, 2008, 4:32:26 AM1/11/08

I have never been attacked by a dog while riding my uni, but I have been
while riding my b*ke in the countryside. While I was never actually
bitten, I was snapped at several times by what I think was a pitbull. I
really had to pedal hard to get away from the thing.

I have not really bothered by any dogs around my neigbourhood but I
think a good deterent that I have would be an airhorn to make a dog
think "WTF?! Loud noises!" and either stop or run away.

--
CoreTechs

><> UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST<><

And get 'LOST' (www.lost.eu/69d9c).
CoreTechs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15629

Into the blue

Jan 11, 2008, 4:59:30 AM1/11/08

Been there, got the scar...
http://tinyurl.com/33wans

--
Into the blue

ok you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is my
boomstick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oagr6ydjzdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0nwe4xqdmm&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0finuhtnk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuqqs0bszy
Into the blue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12084

rob.northcott

Jan 11, 2008, 5:33:09 AM1/11/08

Somebody should invent something like anthrax that only affects dogs.
The world would be a much better place without dogs.

--
rob.northcott

mattsmith

Jan 11, 2008, 8:01:31 AM1/11/08

Dogs always go for me too.
I ride in the woods where dogs are never on a lead and they're
generally bigger than their owners!

I ride a 24" muni, so I don't know if this will apply to your 36" but I
generally just slow right down and maybe idle for while to give the
owner a chance to call them back. I learnt when I used to MTB that if a
dog looks like it wants to give chase then you should just slow down or
stop before they feel like the game has begun. As wheel rider pointed
out, as soon as you get off the wheel calmly, the dog backs down.
They're probably just wanting to play.
So far on the muni they've never gotten beyond barking at my wheel,
where I do my best not to watch them, they'll go around the back and
that's a quick route to an UPD. My motto is just keep going slowly
forward, if you can't see them you won't hit them.

The simple fact is that when a dog attacks it means it. A bark is a
warning (and you will know it), but if you get bitten by a German
Shepherd, and it doesn't properly maul you, then it was playing and
there's no need for mace. If it's not playing, then good luck getting
your mace out and aiming and getting in a good shot before it does you
some real damage.

--
mattsmith
mattsmith's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14586

rem48

Jan 11, 2008, 9:37:30 AM1/11/08

I looked on line at the "dazer" that Jim mentioned. It sounded good so
I bought one. I will be carrying it with me for a long time. I am
looking forward to it coming in and I can try it out. There is a pack
of three that ALWAYS chase me but I have got to know them and they are
all bark but there is a new duo that were pups but have now come into
their own and do not know when to let up. I need to set them straight
fast! They are getting BIG! It really bothers me to think there are
places I don't ride because of the loose animals. I am not a uni-stud
like you guys, my top speed is probably 12mph so I really can't outrun
them.

--
rem48
rem48's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15538

Wheel Rider

Jan 11, 2008, 9:46:11 AM1/11/08

Joseppi wrote:
> Absolutely! When an unrestrained dog sees me, it always chases me down,
> but I've never been knocked off (I've had a few close calls). All I
> really do to deter them is make eye contact with them while riding and
> make all kinds of hissing noises. As long as you make yourself out to
> look threatening, they'll back down eventually without risking any real
> physical contact with you. At least that's been my experience so far.

If I remember correctly, making eye contact with a mean/vicious dog,
especially a dominant male dog, is considered by the dog to be a major
threat and could result in a serious assault from the dog. Eye contact
should be avoided unless you think you are meaner than the dog.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Wheel Rider

Jan 11, 2008, 9:56:48 AM1/11/08

maestro8 wrote:
> The mace is to prevent injury to the rider. If you're being attacked,
> why perform some unproven martial arts using your unicycle as a weapon,
> when you know a quick squirt of mace will do the trick?
>
> Lawsuits are a moot point. If you're being attacked, you have the
> right to defend yourself. If anything, you're preventing lawsuits
> against the dog owner.
>
> In my experience with dogs, dismounting the unicycle gives 'em an
> easier shot at my legs. I've only been bitten once, but that was
> enough for me.

If you are being attacked, do you have the ability and presence of mind
to maintain control of your unicycle while trying to dodge a vicious
dog, avoid pot holes and bumps in the road, miss parked cars, dig the
mace out of your pocket and aim at a moving target? A lot happens in a
hurry. The unicycle is not to be used as a weapon but as a defensive
shield between you and the dog.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

seriousslacker

Jan 11, 2008, 10:22:06 AM1/11/08

I've had numerous unleashed dogs come running and barking towards me,
some menacing, and I always dismount. They immediately realize I'm
human and not some new strange animal riding on one wheel. I do put the
uni between me and the dog, just in case, but I've never had one decide
to keep barking after I dismount. Most dogs are very well behaved, and
will not just randomly start attacking a human. One thing I've noticed
is that dogs are much less likely to start barking at you if you are
riding with another unicyclist. Somehow they don't feel as threatened,
or are feeling outnumbered, either way, I don't have to dismount in
these cases.

I think when dogs are out walking with their owners, they are not going
to attack you once they realize you are a human. This is probably true
with most dogs protecting their property as well. I think mace is
rarely the appropriate answer.

I can't imagine a bear interrupting my uni ride - nice work
Saskatchewanian!

--
seriousslacker
seriousslacker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14345

Mikefule

Jan 11, 2008, 2:45:03 PM1/11/08

Dogs are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually predictable
and manageable. Unicyclists are intelligent animals, and their
behaviour is usually self-manageable. There is no need for all this
gung ho shite about using mace spray and unijitsu.

Dogs are motivated by territorial considerations and by dominance
within the pack. They will also hunt, play and mate. It is a simple
life, and preferable to working in an office.

Never approach an unknown dog that is on its own territory. Especially
if it is behind a gate, or on a chain, it will be even more territorial
than usual. Never reach over or through a gate or fence to a dog you
do not know and trust.

On the other hand, if you act like you have a right to be there, and
behave confidently and are "dismissive but friendly" towards the dog,
there will not normally be a problem if you do enter a dog's
territory.

If a dog is on a lead, it will act more territorially. It will also be
more likely to jump up or be aggressive because it can feel vulnerable.
(A loose dog will often feel dominant over a dog on a lead and may
attack it.)

Never ride close to a dog that is on a lead. There is no need to do
so.

If it is a narrow path, make yourself known to the dog and to the
owner, well in advance. Communicate. Dogs can "understand" simple
words and tones of voice. So can some dog owners.

If the owner knows you are there, they will usually restrain the dog if
they think it is necessary; they know their dog. Most owners are not
completely irresponsible idiots; in fact, most are over cautious,
fondly beleiving that their little Fifi is a slavering hound. They are
out walking their dogs because they like dogs. And mostly they won't
be reckless about exposing themselves to the risk of litigation,
either.

If you see a dog ahead on your route, make sure it knows you are there.
Click your tongue, whistle, or say, "Good dog". Act and sound like a
friendly human. Don't try to befriend the dog or make a fuss of it;
just sound friendly and unthreatening.

Never ever ride between an owner and the dog (especially if the dog is
on a lead!:rolleyes: ) as this may make the dog run to defend its
owner. Never ever go close to children who are in the same party as
the dog, because the dog will defend them.

Even big dogs (Rotties, Alsatians, etc.) will usually back down if you
speak to them either firmly and confidently, or disparagingly. A
simple, "Get down you daft bugger" or "No!" will usually do the trick.
Dogs hate to be patronised. It confuses them and they get embarrassed
and back down.

Remember that the dog has probably met very few unicyclists in its
life. All it sees is a strange fast moving thing that may either be
fun to play with, or a threat, or good to hunt. Your job is to clarify
in the dog's mind that you are in fact a good-natured and unthreatening
human being who is higher than it in the pack order.

If a dog comes running towards you, and the above tactics don't work,
then dismount. This does two things:

- It eliminates the risk of you falling off and becoming "vulnerable
prey" on the ground.
- It turns you into a conventional human being shape - a shape that
the dog can understand. (Many dogs do not have very good vision.
They hunt largely by sense of smell.)

Once you are dismounted, place the unicycle betyween you and the dog,
with the wheel sideways on. It will look like a solid barrier to the
dog. Continue to speak confidently and firmly. If there is an owner
nearby, do not be aggressive; the dog will react to the tone, and its
instinct will be to defend its own pack.

If necessary, walk rather than ride until the dog is no longer a
threat.

Strangely, most dogs will "forget" about you once you are past them.
Dogs are curious animals, and will be looking for the next interesting
smell.

Never try to hurt the dog. If you succeed, you end up with a potential
legal hassle (whether you win or lose) and anyway, it isn't the dog's
fault. It is only doing what dogs do, and it isn't the dog's fault if
it hasn't been properly trained.

Dogs have been part of human society for thousands of years.
Unicycling is a very new sport. Don't be arrogant. Be prepared to
give way.

|Filename: Ellie and Rocco.JPG |

Mikefule

"Maybe," said the old man smiling, "who knows how the wheel may run?
It's fool who claims to know its place of resting."

maestro8

Jan 11, 2008, 2:49:40 PM1/11/08

Wheel Rider wrote:
> If you are being attacked, do you have the ability and presence of mind
> to maintain control of your unicycle while trying to dodge a vicious
> dog, avoid pot holes and bumps in the road, miss parked cars, dig the
> mace out of your pocket and aim at a moving target?

The mace should be holstered on a belt, much like a handgun, in order
for it to be easily accessible. Should an attack occur, hop off the
uni and squirt the dog... it can all be done in one fluid motion.

You're making it sound like one would transition wheelwalk while
removing their Camelbak, unzipping it and digging around in the bottom
for something... while the dog is running in a zig-zag pattern some
distance away from you... that's quite absurd.

In reality, the dog will be at your feet by the time you react.
There's no need to take careful aim. Mace is a spray, not a bullet.

> The unicycle is not to be used as a weapon but as a defensive shield
> between you and the dog.

That would require you keep a hand or two on the unicycle. How are you
supposed to defend yourself without the use of both hands?

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

Mikefule

Jan 11, 2008, 2:56:13 PM1/11/08

Of course, if none of that is macho enough, if a dog bites you, you
could go and bomb someone else's kennels, with no real plans for
rebuilding them after you've claimed victory. For Christ sake, it's
that sort of macho crap that causes half the world's problems.

Problem is, understanding and restraint are far too much like hard
work, it seems.

--
Mikefule

"Maybe," said the old man smiling, "who knows how the wheel may run?
It's fool who claims to know its place of resting."

maestro8

Jan 11, 2008, 3:21:23 PM1/11/08

Mikefule wrote:
> *Most* Dogs are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually
> predictable and manageable *in the hands of a responsible owner*.

FTFY.

There are too many idiots with dogs in the US. I don't trust a single
one, dog or owner.

Mikefule wrote:
> it's that sort of macho crap that *differentiates between an incident
> and a mauling*

FTFY, too.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

saskatchewanian

Jan 11, 2008, 5:12:25 PM1/11/08

Perhaps I just have a better rapport with dogs than most of you but I
really never had all the problems you guys describe. I do run into dogs
a fair amount but they never really bother me. Perhaps it is because I
grew up with large hunting dogs. I have only been bit once, and I
deserved it (accidentally stepping on the tail of a sleeping dog with
work boots on).

I agree with everything that Mikefule wrote with the possible exception
of whistling at dogs. Our dogs are trained to obey hand signals, spoken
commands and whistles. When whistling at a dog you might not know what
you are telling it to do.

Many dogs will run right up to you but this does not mean that they
will attack; they might if you turn to run or start swinging at it.
DON探 pepper spray a dog just because it is coming towards you, this
could warp the dogs perception of humans and ruin its training. Just
stay calm and confident and it will probably leave you alone.

--
saskatchewanian
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

saskatchewanian

Jan 11, 2008, 5:25:26 PM1/11/08

THE PITBULL IS A CHEAT!!! :p

phlegm

Jan 11, 2008, 5:20:27 PM1/11/08

Dealing with dogs?

[image:
http://www.kerovisuals.com/timer/dog-poker-background-thumb.jpg]

--
phlegm
phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382

maestro8

Jan 11, 2008, 5:52:52 PM1/11/08

saskatchewanian wrote:
> Just stay calm and confident and it will probably leave you alone.

Ooooh kay... maybe you know something I don't, but I don't see how
confidence will help during a dog attack...

..the only thing I have confidence in is the fact that a dogs teeth
can break my skin.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire

leo

Jan 11, 2008, 5:52:28 PM1/11/08

I think dogs are always interresting; how they respond (or not).
Anyway, a tip for dealing with small dogs (who for some reason by
default tend to respond faster and firmer than larger dogs):
*unicycle with your toes down, so that the doggy only sees the
upperside of your feet*....
otherwise the pedaling movement may be mistaken for a kicking move.

--
leo

*+1 866-UNI-CYCL
'www.unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
'www.unicyclist.org' (http://www.unicyclist.org/)*
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

scotthue

Jan 11, 2008, 6:16:01 PM1/11/08

a water bottle always works, just squirt them in the face and they'll
run off

--
scotthue
scotthue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14601

OldDrone

Jan 11, 2008, 6:10:29 PM1/11/08

--
OldDrone
OldDrone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15976

saskatchewanian

Jan 11, 2008, 6:34:19 PM1/11/08

maestro8 wrote:
> Ooooh kay... maybe you know something I don't, but I don't see how
> confidence will help during a dog attack...
>
> ...the only thing I have confidence in is the fact that a dogs teeth
> can break my skin.

There is no question that a dog can sense fear, excitement, confidence,
etc. in a human. I have seen dogs become hostile simply because the
person they went to investigate was scared of dogs.

I have been able to control dogs that their owners had no control of
because I used an authoritative voice and showed confidence expecting
to be obeyed where the owner was timidly asking the dog not to do
something and to go back to the car. If a dog will listen to a stranger
and not its owner because he/she shows more confidence/authority then I
say yes it definitely makes a difference.

I could see how if you are scared of dogs this might be hard for you,
especially when the dog knows you are scared.

--
saskatchewanian
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

mattwood22

Jan 11, 2008, 7:00:59 PM1/11/08

'homemade taser?' (http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/181/48/)

i have a feeling when we did it we just pulled the flash out and the
wires to that did the shocking. that seems much more complicated. i
mite be wrong though

--
mattwood22

http://uk.youtube.com/user/Mattwood2203
mattwood22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14421

goldenchickenIV

Jan 11, 2008, 7:07:06 PM1/11/08

Riding my 36er on a quite gravel road I approached a house some 50-75
metres away from the road. A dachshund came out from the house and out
on the road. It ran against me att full speed. At first I found the
little thing amusing but the dog didn't stop. It came straight towards
me and when it was only inches away from the tyre the dog quickly
throwed itself to the side and jumped up in the air and bit my leg. I
continued riding 50 metres but then had to stop and check my leg. It
hurt and there was a semi circle pattern of holes where the dachshund
had bitten me.

On previous occations I have managed to get out of tricky situations
meeting dogs both when riding bicycles and wandering. I always told
myself that the secret is to establish some sort of communication with
the dog. One has to 'listen' as much to oneself as to the dog. But this
dachshund just ran up and bite me for no apparent reason.

--
goldenchickenIV
goldenchickenIV's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16391

Mikefule

Jan 12, 2008, 4:04:40 AM1/12/08

OldDrone wrote:

> [COLOR=black]Are you fucking high?

No, I just know something about the subject and have an informed
opinion, and have posted constructively, hoping to help other people to
deal with a situation they may be nervous about. You are the person
who seems to be recommending violence as a way of resolving problems
that could usually have been avoided with a little foresight,
understanding and compromise, and the person using abusive language to
a stranger in a public forum.

--
Mikefule

"Maybe," said the old man smiling, "who knows how the wheel may run?
It's fool who claims to know its place of resting."

Naomi

Jan 12, 2008, 4:45:59 AM1/12/08

Mikefule wrote:
> Dogs are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually predictable
> and manageable. .

Some useful knowledge there Mike. But I confess that I don't like
dogs at all, they do worry me, and I like to keep them at a runway's
length. ( I don't like cats either but STOL is fine for them).
Weird really because I am totally happy with snakes, lizards, beetles,
cockroaches, spiders and anything else with an extravagant number of
legs.

Your post still contained a few too many instances of "usually" and
most dogs" to allay my fears about dogs. There are far too many dogs
in the UK, as with computers there is no need for more than about five
or six.
I best like those dogs that have their owners on a short leash,
preferably whilst comfortably seated in front of their idiot box.

But for the moment: do those high pitched whistles actually work as a
deterrant? What do postmen use? Not interested in Mace, except
perhaps the medieval version. ;-)

Nao

--
Naomi

The dress in which I unicycled was not THAT short, but in retrospect, I
think that maybe the blue one would have been more appropriate to the
terrain. Nao April 2007.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

Naomi

Jan 12, 2008, 4:51:45 AM1/12/08

Mikefule wrote:
> Dogs are intelligent animals, and their behaviour is usually predictable
> and manageable. .

Some useful knowledge there Mike. But I confess that I don't like
dogs at all, they do worry me, and I like to keep them at a runway's
length. ( I don't like cats either but STOL is fine for them).
Weird really because I am totally happy with snakes, lizards, beetles,
cockroaches, spiders and anything else with an extravagant number of
legs.

Your post still contained a few too many instances of "usually" and
most dogs" to allay my fears about dogs. There are far too many dogs
in the UK, as with computers there is no need for more than about five
or six.
I best like those dogs that have their owners on a short leash,
preferably whilst comfortably seated in front of their idiot box.

But for the moment: do those high pitched whistles actually work as a
deterrant? What do postmen use? Not interested in Mace, except
perhaps the medieval version. ;-)

Nao

--
Naomi

The dress in which I unicycled was not THAT short, but in retrospect, I
think that maybe the blue one would have been more appropriate to the
terrain. Nao April 2007.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

jamessd

Jan 12, 2008, 4:52:56 AM1/12/08

I don't like dogs either, I especially don't see the attraction of
having one as a house pet (unless it's a little thing you can trust).
They always seem too unpredictable and hyper... and the massive one's
(pitbulls?) are vicious (ok, some not but most are). I mean... they
kill babies and don't get banned! WTF!

I just don't see the attraction of having a dog like that over a nice
lil cat or two.

If I was chased by a dog I'd first try and out ride it - I don't know
what i'd do after that though :p

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me: mop...@hotmail.com
jamessd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15102

Mikefule

Jan 12, 2008, 7:23:50 AM1/12/08

jamessd wrote:
> and the massive one's (pitbulls?) are vicious (ok, some not but most
> are). I mean... they kill babies and don't get banned! WTF!

Every week in the UK, 2 or 3 (the average is about 2.5) children are
killed by their own parents. Every day, in the UK, 9 people are killed
on the roads. every year in the UK, one or two people are killed by
dogs. The question is not one of risk, but of risk perception.

My partner has two Rottweilers. One of them can be chewing a bone or
playing with a dog toy and you can take the bone or toy out of its
mouth just by holding out your hand and saying "Let go." Every time.

The small number of people who are hurt or even killed by "big dogs"
are usually unlucky or stupid enough to put themselves in the path of a
guard dog, or a dog kept for intimidation purposes by an owner who has
no interest in the dog as anything other than a status symbol.

Recent cases in the UK:

A baby killed in a pub in leicester. The guard dog was kept on the
flat roof of the pub, never socialised, and was deliberately kept for
the purpose of intimidating potential burglars or assailants. Someone
left a door open into a room where there was an unattended baby. The
dog attacked the baby. Irresponsible dog owners, and irresponsible
parents.

A child of 7 carrying a baby out of the house into the back yard, where
a Rottweiler was chained up. Why is a 7 year old carrying a baby
outside the house unattended? Baby carried into the territory of an
unsocialised dog. Irresponsible on all counts.

A lady who worked at a kennel, who was badly savaged by a "rescue dog".
That's a dog that has not been looked after or trained, and has never
been socialised, before being abandoned to be "someone else's
problem".

On the other hand, my brother and sister in law have a Rottweiler that
is kept in the house, and knows its place in the "pack". They have a
new baby. I went to touch the baby and the dog stood between me and
the baby to guard it, but without biting me. They are responsible dog
owners, and responsible parents.

--
Mikefule

"Maybe," said the old man smiling, "who knows how the wheel may run?
It's fool who claims to know its place of resting."

cathwood

Jan 12, 2008, 9:03:00 AM1/12/08

I don't like dogs. I live in an area where I'm sure there are more dogs
than humans and often ride where they are taken for walks.

So far I have more trouble (annoyance really) with owners who don't
have their (in these cases) stupid,dogs on leads. They are supposed to
have them on leads, it says so on signs all over the prom. But said
stupid dogs wander underneath my wheel, forcing me to dismount. I glare
at the owners. Once I even had an argument with the friend of one of
the owners when I mentioned that the dog should be on a lead (very
unlike me).

Once or twice I have been chased by hostile dogs whilst their owners
tried, without success, to call them back. The most recent time I was
riding along the prom, which was covered in sand and I was finding the
riding tricky anyway. The dog seemed to object to the fact that I was
using my arms for balance and kept jumping up, trying to bite my hands.
It was very hairy. I thought I was going to fall off and roll down the
slope to my right and/or get bitten. Eventually the owner gained
control, thank goodness.

You can't do much about irresponsible dog owners. the best thing you
can probably do is campaign for local bylaws that say that dogs should
be on a lead when anywhere in public. that way you can sue the owner if
you/you unicycle gets damaged because of thier dog.

--
cathwood

Cathy

rem48

Jan 12, 2008, 11:00:29 AM1/12/08

Mike has a lot of good points. It is mostly things that the dog
whisperer is saying here in the states. You are right, sometimes an
authorative "NO!" does the trick. It is the need to break their train
of thought to hear the "NO". As for the mace, I personally do not agree
though I have considered it. I think you are asking for trouble if you
go on the attack. I will let you all know how well that dog "dazer"
works when I get it. It should be here today or monday. For those of
you who don't know, it emits a irritating burst frequency that only
dogs respond to. What I envision and read, is that you press the button
and say no (or whatever) and it will startle the dog. It has a 30'
radius. We can all attest we are not trying to kill dogs we just want
to ride safely.

--
rem48
rem48's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15538

harper

Jan 12, 2008, 11:06:43 AM1/12/08

Always carry a cat with you. When a dog starts to chase you, drop the
cat. The dog will be distracted and chase the cat. Getting fresh
replacement cats is easy.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Unibugg

Jan 12, 2008, 11:12:52 AM1/12/08

Wheel Rider wrote:
> I was 'attacked' (http://tinyurl.com/yohou3) by several dogs.
>
> I have heard that yelling "no" will usually stop a dog because that is
> something most dogs (and small children :rolleyes: ) understand.
> Sometimes that works. I have been successful with out-racing small
> dogs.

Well, now I feel silly for thinking that hissing would be a good idea.
If I were walking, I'd tell the dog no and use an authoritive voice to
tell him to mind his own business. So surely unicycling shouldn't
change the situation too much.

The link you posted was really interesting, especially the discussion
on why dogs seem so attracted to unicycles/ unicyclists.

--
Unibugg

johnfoss wrote:
> If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves
> you're human. :)
Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480

OldDrone

Jan 12, 2008, 12:23:33 PM1/12/08

Mikefule wrote:
> A child of 7 carrying a baby out of the house into the back yard, where
> a Rottweiler was chained up. Why is a 7 year old carrying a baby
> outside the house unattended? Baby carried into the territory of an
> unsocialised dog. Irresponsible on all counts.

Like I said, You seem to be biased to the dog side of the world.
Maybe you don't understand kids, just dogs.

As for swearing at a total stranger, you got me there. Please excuse
my French, but this topic gets me very angry. I don't like dealing
with dogs and I don't like the rationalizations that I hear from dog
owners that tell me what I should have done to have avoid a bad
situation with a dog. The fact is if the dog is controlled, by leash
or barrier, I don't have a problem with it.

As for solving problems with violence, when being chased, barked at, or
threatened by a dog, I see no other method than return the action. I
have stood my ground and yelled NO at dogs and avoided further contact.
The act of controlling the dog, or at least standing it down, I can
do. Putting up with the attitude of entitlement that is shined from
dog owners is the most frustrating part. I loved the pissed off
attitude I got from an owner when I tried to pepper spray her dog that
was unleashed in a public park. It had chased me off the path and the
owner was 50 feet from it. Come on! Your dog threatens me, I defend
myself, what is the problem here? The dog and its owner.

You might want to contemplate my thoughts on having rocks thrown close
to you by a total stranger. It seems a little scary, maybe even
intimidating. When you confront the stranger on this, and he say s
something like don't be irresponsible, I am throwing rocks over there.
If you don't want rocks to come close to you, then go somewhere where I
am not. That is what living with someone else’s uncontrolled dog is
like.

--
OldDrone
OldDrone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15976

rem48

Jan 12, 2008, 12:41:26 PM1/12/08

I think we are under the general consensus that if people would control
their dogs we would be better off. As for the leash laws... whether
posted or not people do not think they apply to them and their dog. I
do like the idea of throwing rocks at people! Ha! (just kidding)

--
rem48
rem48's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15538

Unibugg

Jan 12, 2008, 12:54:49 PM1/12/08

Mark Twain wrote:
> Even when I could not hit a wagon I could hit a dog that came to see me
> practice. They all liked to see me practice, and they all came, for
> there was very little going on in our neighborhood to entertain a
> dog. It took time to learn to miss a dog, but I achieved even that.

http://tinyurl.com/2axxpu

Some things never change. ;)

--
Unibugg

johnfoss wrote:
> If riding the unicycle seems impossible at first, that only proves
> you're human. :)
Unibugg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14480

OldDrone

Jan 12, 2008, 2:58:15 PM1/12/08

Unibugg wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/2axxpu
>
> Some things never change. ;)

Thanks Unibugg. What a great read.

I am in agreement with rem48, I don't mind dogs if they are controlled.

I do question Mikefule's argument about comparing dog killings to
accidents and homicide. Is it really a fair comparison to equate human
activities to animal activities? Car accidents happen by people
driving cars, parents killing their kids this could be intentional or
accidental. Dog owners not controlling their dog/s is a human
activity. Dogs attacking and killing humans is an animal activity.

I am all for nature and loving animals, but if a dog is a menace it
should be put down. We do it to bears why not dogs?

--
OldDrone
OldDrone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15976

Naomi

Jan 12, 2008, 3:19:13 PM1/12/08

Unibugg wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/2axxpu
>
> Some things never change. ;)

Despite the old fashioned language, that is so very descriptive. I can
picture every problem he had with this penny farthing to perfection.
It reminds me to make contact with a friend who has one ( genuine
article), and to plead with him to let me have a go.

Nao

--
Naomi

The dress in which I unicycled was not THAT short, but in retrospect, I
think that maybe the blue one would have been more appropriate to the
terrain. Nao April 2007.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

David_Stone

Jan 12, 2008, 7:43:46 PM1/12/08

maestro8 wrote:
> The mace is to prevent injury to the rider. ...
>
> Lawsuits are a moot point. If you're being attacked, you have the
> right to defend yourself. If anything, you're preventing lawsuits
> against the dog owner.

So the lawyer for the prosecution would have to prove that you'd set
out on your ride LOOKING for dogs to mace. Now, that might be the case,
but it would still be hard to prove. Just don't wear your "I [MACE
BOTTLE] dogs" shirt while in pursuit of fresh game.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

David_Stone

Jan 12, 2008, 7:49:50 PM1/12/08

seriousslacker wrote:
> I think when dogs are out walking with their owners, they are not going
> to attack you once they realize you are a human.

I don't care WHAT the dog owners think...

Oh, you meant the dogs.

As for the owners, I've posted about this subject a long time ago. My
philosophy is that if it's a shared road, like a bike path that allows
pedestrians, you have to ride safely (slower than top speed) and dog
owners have to keep their pets leashed. If they allow their dogs to
walk unleashed (which is illegal in NYC), then you are within your
rights to squush the dog if it's small enough. Now, no one wants to do
that, since it's not the dog's fault, so better yet, aim for the
owner.

Luckily, I never had to do this in my NYC-riding days, but it's always
best to be prepared, and believe me, I was certainly prepared to smoosh
an unleashed dog-owner whose dog was threatening my safety.

jamessd

Jan 12, 2008, 7:55:13 PM1/12/08

David_Stone wrote:
> I don't care WHAT the dog owners think...
>
> Oh, you meant the dogs.
>
> As for the owners, I've posted about this subject a long time ago. My
> philosophy is that if it's a shared road, like a bike path that allows
> pedestrians, you have to ride safely (slower than top speed) and dog
> owners have to keep their pets leashed. If they allow their dogs to
> walk unleashed (which is illegal in NYC), then you are within your
> rights to squush the dog if it's small enough. Now, no one wants to do
> that, since it's not the dog's fault, so better yet, aim for the
> owner.
>
> Luckily, I never had to do this in my NYC-riding days, but it's always
> best to be prepared, and believe me, I was certainly prepared to smoosh
> an unleashed dog-owner whose dog was threatening my safety.

Inspiring words :p

--
jamessd

David_Stone

Jan 12, 2008, 8:00:01 PM1/12/08

I forgot to mention one other thing I used to do while riding past
unleashed dog owners. I'd shake an index finger at them and say, with
an authoritative voice, "BAD dog owner. BAD dog owner."

After reading all of these posts, I have a few other comments:

1. I will henceforth ensure that I have at least two cats (it's always
best to have a spare cat) when I ride thru dog-infested areas; thanks,
Harper.
2. Bear owners should also be forced to leash their animals. I will
write to my local government leaders to see if we can enact some leash
laws for bears, and I suggest the same for Saskachewan.

Naomi

Jan 13, 2008, 5:58:05 AM1/13/08

There are times when, reading through these fora, I feel that it is not
just the dogs, but also some unicyclists who should be on a leash...
and the response to that is NOT "Yes please".

;-)

Nao

--
Naomi

The dress in which I unicycled was not THAT short, but in retrospect, I
think that maybe the blue one would have been more appropriate to the
terrain. Nao April 2007.
Naomi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3322

mikepenton

Jan 13, 2008, 10:58:58 AM1/13/08

David_Stone wrote:
> I was certainly prepared to smoosh an unleashed dog-owner whose dog was
> threatening my safety.

what's the difference between smoosh and smooch? I'm not sure if that's
New World English, or a typo.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Into the blue

Wheel Rider

Jan 13, 2008, 12:43:43 PM1/13/08

mikepenton wrote:
> what's the difference between smoosh and smooch? I'm not sure if that's
> New World English, or a typo.

smooch = to kiss
smoosh = to crush, as when you fall off your unicycle onto a small dog
and/or the owner. Possibly an alternate of "smash".

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Triball

Jan 13, 2008, 12:49:34 PM1/13/08

Wheel Rider wrote:
> smoosh = to crush, as when you fall off your unicycle onto a small dog
> and/or the owner. Possibly an alternate of "smash".

This reminds me of the Mythbusters, when they dropped turkeys on small
dogs :D

--
Triball

Pay for you gas or loose your ID
Triball's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13759

leo

Jan 13, 2008, 7:36:01 PM1/13/08

harper wrote:
> Always carry a cat with you. When a dog starts to chase you, drop the
> cat. The dog will be distracted and chase the cat. Getting fresh
> replacement cats is easy.

I use to do, but with all these dogs my cat became really realy big
(much bigger than on my picture). The 'cat-carrier'
(http://tinyurl.com/39usbz) wont fit it anymore.

|Filename: alex.jpg |