Newbie first competive event (5k run)

1 view

Megan & David Schmidt

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
I am sharing this with a bit of trepidation.......I am a slug compared
to even the mere mortals on the list, but I'm going to share anyway.

I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
weeks I will survive.

I ran the Symphony Run in Dallas. I discovered that running on a nice
cushy track doesn't really prepare you for hills. As a Pittsburgher, I
view Dallas as flat. Of course they did find one of the 2 hills in the
entire city to stick in the middle of the course. :-)

I have an important question though.....

When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

Thanks
Megan

Varun Madhok

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Megan & David Schmidt <me...@airmail.net> wrote:
>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
<snip>

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)
>Thanks
>Megan

Hi Megan:
Congratulations on the race.
I believe the way is to crimp the lip of the cup to form a
channel for the water, cradle the cup on the palm of the hand
and time the swallow(s) between the footstrikes.
Now! That's how I was told it should be done. One of these
days I'll figure out how to get it right. Till then, I'll
just seek out races that serve watermelon :-)
Regards

Kendall Wu

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
to Megan & David Schmidt
Megan,

I assume you are able to grab a cup as you pass by...so, the easiest way
I've found is to squeeze the top of the cup together and make a little pour
spout that you can use to drink (the top squeezed together should look like
something like this: <> and then you drink from the corners).

Kendall

Megan & David Schmidt wrote:

> I am sharing this with a bit of trepidation.......I am a slug compared
> to even the mere mortals on the list, but I'm going to share anyway.
>

> I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The

> point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
> little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
> weeks I will survive.
>
> I ran the Symphony Run in Dallas. I discovered that running on a nice
> cushy track doesn't really prepare you for hills. As a Pittsburgher, I
> view Dallas as flat. Of course they did find one of the 2 hills in the
> entire city to stick in the middle of the course. :-)
>
> I have an important question though.....

Brett Hamm

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
Megan & David Schmidt wrote in message ...

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
>point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
>little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
>weeks I will survive.

Congratulations on your first race...always very exciting moment no matter
where you finish.

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

This is a very common problem that many people never master. You've gotten
good advice here about crimping the side of the cup - making a spout - and
drinking from that...it's the best way to go.

Best of luck on your upcoming tri.

Brett
Oklahoma City

stan clark

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Megan & David Schmidt wrote in message ...
>I am sharing this with a bit of trepidation.......I am a slug
compared
>to even the mere mortals on the list, but I'm going to share anyway.
>

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
>point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than
>little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri
in 2
>weeks I will survive.
>
>I ran the Symphony Run in Dallas. I discovered that running on a
nice
>cushy track doesn't really prepare you for hills. As a Pittsburgher,
>view Dallas as flat. Of course they did find one of the 2 hills in
the
>entire city to stick in the middle of the course. :-)
>
>I have an important question though.....
>
>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in
little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

Megan, you have every right to demand sitdown service in any quality
5K. Dallas has no class. Some people just wait ten minutes until the
race is over. It's hard to get dehydrated in 3 miles. Others just
take a sip to be polite to the volunteers. Still others practice
drinking water on the run. I think the secret is to be quick and have
a general idea where your mouth is.

Studying baby birds feeding may also help. Stan

David W Agar

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99

Megan & David Schmidt (me...@airmail.net) writes:
> I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
> point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
> little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
> weeks I will survive.
>
> I ran the Symphony Run in Dallas. I discovered that running on a nice
> cushy track doesn't really prepare you for hills. As a Pittsburgher, I
> view Dallas as flat. Of course they did find one of the 2 hills in the
> entire city to stick in the middle of the course. :-)
>
> I have an important question though.....
>
> When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
> cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

Congratulations!

You may wish to walk (or run slowly enough) through the station to
drink all that you can. Assuming the cup is not styrofoam, I would pinch
the outside of the brim and as you run, drink from the inside of the brim.
--
David Agar
Genealogy researcher

Jeff Pearson

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99

Megan & David Schmidt wrote in message ...

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

Great job on your race, you're hooked now!

In a 5k, I wouldn't drink it unless it was really scorching. If you do
choose to drink, and for the longer events you have a couple of choices:

slow down or walk and take the 5 seconds to do the job properly

or

take the cup, and squash it kind of flat with the water in it. The bottom
will still be round, but the top opening will be narrow. Keeping a narrow
opening, put your mouth across the opening and squeeze/force/suck the
contents down. The idea here is no air. Time from start to burp.... about 2
seconds.

Jeff.

Y2kironman

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
Nice post Stan.

Baby birds feeding?

awp in sd

Kahuna3602

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
>Newbie first competive event (5k run)
>From: Megan & David Schmidt <me...@airmail.net>

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
>point is that I finished,

CONGRATS !! Yes the point is that you finished, always will be regardless of
what place you finish in the future.

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

I take two and gulp as much as possible and wear the rest. Running in Miami
it's always hot and the cool water is appreciated. If it's scorching and a long
run I try to get two more. If it's way long,, take your time and hydrate
properly, often..
Al Kormesser

Lynne Fonda-Kosorek

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
What a delightful thread ! Upbeat, all ! Congrats on your first race ! And
best wishes for your First Tri!

Geez, I had no idea there were all these fancy spout configs. I always just
pour in the general direction of my mouth and hope for the best <wink>, and
use that op to lower my maxed out HRate. And sweet Stan "showing politeness
to volunteers" ! What a guy !

No, honestly, I really don't take water during a 5K. I do the above during
10ks AT the 5K mark. Love your post and the thread, though !

Good luck !

Zack Jones

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
Megan & David Schmidt <me...@airmail.net> wrote:

>I am sharing this with a bit of trepidation.......I am a slug compared
>to even the mere mortals on the list, but I'm going to share anyway.

Thanks for sharing.

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok.

Congrats and that's OK about the slow time - I'll be easier for you to
go faster in the next one %^)

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

Take the cup and squeeze the sides together and then drink it. It
also helps if you tilt your head to the side a bit.

Take Care, Zack Jones
za...@mindspring.com

art...@webtv.net

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
Paul

GREGNELS0N

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Congratulations on your first 5k and good luck in your first tri. My first
race ever was the Dallas Symphony 10k back in 1991. Is it now a 5k or is that
a sister event? Do they still serve Columbo frozen yogurt at the finish? It
was a great event as I recall and I was hooked...still running today.

At the risk of having my advice deemed "stupid" by Paul, I also would say that
a properly hydrated newbie runner will have no need taking on water in a 5k.
If it is so hot you need water, then as a newbie, you probably shouldnt be
running that hard in a first race. If you DO need water in that 5k, maybe it
is because it is too hot to run fast...and you can just walk through the aid
station. Have fun, enjoy the running etc.

Good running

gregnelson

Joel Sylvester

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Well done on your first race!

You should be able to hold out for a 5K race without drinking - unless it is
very hot. Drink plenty before the race, but not so much it makes running
uncomfortable.

How to drink with minimal loss. Unless racing somewhere really warm, I'd
rather not get soaked, so here's Joel's minimal dampness technique.

Grab the cup in one hand, slap your other hand over the top, squeeze the top
together (at this point you'll loose half the water, beacuse they always
over fill the cups - but at least you can make sure it doesn't go all over
your socks/shoes). Yell 'thanks' and smile at the volunteer.

The next bit depends on how hard your running, and how far you can go just
breathing through your nose. Quickly take a big swig (too much to swallow in
one go) in your mouth, and swallow it in bits, in between breathing through
your nose. You'll come up gasping, but I reckon this way your less likely to
end up coughing and spluttering. Get your breathe back and drink some more.

I usually end up running with the empty cup until the next aid station - by
the tiem I've drunk it I'm way past where most of the cups get discarded, or
where the volunteers are going to pick them up, so I hold on to it.

On long races, stop, take the cup, walk and drink, then start running again.

--
Joel Sylvester
Longest Day '98 12:10:33

Edinburgh Triathletes: www.edintri.u-net.com

Megan & David Schmidt wrote in message ...

>I am sharing this with a bit of trepidation.......I am a slug compared
>to even the mere mortals on the list, but I'm going to share anyway.
>

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The

>point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
>little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
>weeks I will survive.
>
>I ran the Symphony Run in Dallas. I discovered that running on a nice
>cushy track doesn't really prepare you for hills. As a Pittsburgher, I
>view Dallas as flat. Of course they did find one of the 2 hills in the
>entire city to stick in the middle of the course. :-)
>
>I have an important question though.....
>

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)
>

>Thanks
>Megan

Larry Himmel

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
If you decide to keep running and drink then take your time getting it
down. As others have said, pinch the top of the cup to make a spout. I
find it works best if I don't swallow right away. I pour the water in my
mouth and hold it there for couple of seconds then swallow. If I try to
gulp it all at once, I choke.

Congratulations on your entrance into the world of the physically fit and
mentally......... Well, we're fit anyway.

Larry

SteveBlum

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Megan wrote:

>I ran my first 5k race today. My time was SLOW, but that's ok. The
>point is that I finished, and I discovered that I still had more than a
>little energy left. Which I HOPE means that when I do my first tri in 2
>weeks I will survive.

Way to go! You did it, and that's what counts. It's a great feeling, one that
you'll always remember. Achieving your goal makes you a winner.

>When you run past the aid stations, and they offer you water in little
>cups HOW do you drink it? (I ended up wearing mine)

There have been some excellent suggestions about how to drink from a cup during
the run. There have also been some good points made about needing to drink in
a 5K, but that's beside the point -- it sounds like this race was part of your
tri-training, and you will need to drink during a tri, even a sprint. Learning
how to do it now is a smart move. IMHO, You've obviously learned one of the
most important rules of triathlon: "nothing new on race day." The more you
practice ahead of time, the smoother your tri's will go. And as you follow
RST, you'll see that there is nothing too trivial, arcane or indelicate for us
trigeeks to discuss, analyse and test.

Thank you for sparking yet another fine RST debate, congratulations on your
first 5K, and good luck on your upcoming first tri!

Steve Blum (stev...@aol.com)
Tellus Venture Associates

"Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win." R.A.H.

TGCarlson

Mar 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/10/99
When further trained, depending on the weather (hot races require more liquids)
I would say you won't need any water for a 5K, and but a few sips on a 10K.

Further down the road, with more water requirements, I have some suggestions.

I say water in cups just plain spills all over your face and up your nose.
Bike bottles, however, you can drink from them while charging along and not
spill a thing. . In longer races -- say half marathon to marathon, I bring a
plastic bike bottle full of Gatorade and an Ultimate Torsopac that can hold one
16 oz. bike bottle handily and fits snugly and won't bounce around. I have the
bottle full of Gatorade at the starting line and sip it until the start and it
is half full -- so it is not too heavy around your waist to run with.

I start drinking it about 2 or 3 miles into the race, because if you wait until
you are thirsty in a marathon, it is too late and you will be dehydrated all
day long.

Then after emptying my first bottle, I get a refill of half a bottle of race
fluid -- hopefully Gatorade to my preference -- 3 miles down the road. If they
do not have Gatorade or something I can swallow and use, I come prepared. I
mete out correct doses of Gatorade powder into small baggies tied by twist ties
and four or five of them fit neatly into one of the Ultimate Torsopac's mesh
pockets next to the bottle holder. I fill the empty bottle with powder just
before an aid station and then have a volunteer fill 'er up with water. Voila,
ze drink. ees good and no dehydration! After a while you can coordinate all of
this nicely without losing much time at all.

Better however, the races that have Gatorade or Cytomax or Powerade or other
good drinks at the aid stations in the correct mixture for you. Sometimes, in
some races, volunteers can mix it either too dilute or too thick.

Better to be prepared.

Timothy Carlson

Stephen Adams

Mar 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/12/99
GOOD JOB MEGAN!!!!!

1.Slow down and walk the few steps it takes to drink.

2. Make sure you hydrate well before an event (if you do you shouldn't
need water in a 5k)

3. Try to get a little extra salt in your diet on the last 2 days before
an event.

4.GOOD LUCK in your 1st Triathlon, and make sure you tell us how it
turns out.

Steve "Still waiting to use my new 'Windshear' in a tri" Adams