OT: Tom Cruise returning for "Top Gun 2"

Gracchus

May 23, 2017, 9:52:04 PM5/23/17
Great news for TJT! Sequel to an (*ahem*) "all-time classic" is in the works. And here I thought the prospect of "Blade Runner 2049" was exciting.

http://www.eonline.com/news/856628/tom-cruise-just-confirmed-a-top-gun-sequel-is-in-the-works

Court_1

May 23, 2017, 10:18:39 PM5/23/17
Puke.

TT

May 24, 2017, 5:32:50 AM5/24/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 24.5.2017 klo 4:52:
> Great news for TJT! Sequel to an (*ahem*) "all-time classic" is in the works. And here I thought the prospect of "Blade Runner 2049" was exciting.
>
> http://www.eonline.com/news/856628/tom-cruise-just-confirmed-a-top-gun-sequel-is-in-the-works

Now we're talking, Goose!

Somewhat surprisingly, 9% of the internet has already seen it...
http://www.listchallenges.com/tom-cruise-movies-are-you-a-top-gun/checklist/2

TT

May 24, 2017, 5:42:58 AM5/24/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 24.5.2017 klo 5:18:
> Puke.

Yeah... where is 'English Patient II: The Return of Brain Damage' or
'Age of Innocence II: The Lost Virginity'?

But don't worry, Fast and Furious 10 is coming to theaters near you...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5433140/reference

grif

May 24, 2017, 1:12:20 PM5/24/17

The Iceberg

May 24, 2017, 3:13:35 PM5/24/17
COOOOL!!!!!!

The Iceberg

May 24, 2017, 3:15:21 PM5/24/17
once turned up for a film and they showed the full Fast & Furious 7 trailer, it went for 10mins!! thought had gone into the wrong cinema for a while, but those guys know how to make you remember!

grif

May 24, 2017, 4:33:27 PM5/24/17
Whoa, 2.75 billion views for this. It's 2nd only to Gangnam Style!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk

soccerfan777

May 24, 2017, 5:05:12 PM5/24/17
On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:52:04 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:
> Great news for TJT! Sequel to an (*ahem*) "all-time classic" is in the works. And here I thought the prospect of "Blade Runner 2049" was exciting.
>
> http://www.eonline.com/news/856628/tom-cruise-just-confirmed-a-top-gun-sequel-is-in-the-works

Shit movie. When the original movie is shit... what do you think the sequel is going to be?

TT

May 24, 2017, 5:14:56 PM5/24/17
Terrible crap. Felt like punching the teeth in from the whiny bitch who
started the song.

Here's my ratings for all FF films I've watched:

2001 - The Fast and the Furious: 4
2013 - Furious 7: 2

That's all folks. I'm giving the franchise one more chance though since
Furious 8 has Charlize Theron and Kurt Russell.

TT

May 24, 2017, 5:16:13 PM5/24/17
T&he original is great. Maybe not if you were born in -95.

TT

May 24, 2017, 5:49:08 PM5/24/17
P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
performance by Hendrix. 8/10

Also another recent film worth mentioning would be...

The Remains of the Day (1993)
...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10

And...

The Piano (1993)
Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10

And here's a Oscar nominated short for Gracs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn5d2Q1NJLU

Highly stylized (great cinematography) jazz jamming session (clearly
premeditated though). Good stuff and has been included in US National
Film Registry for a reason. 8/10

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 6:32:31 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:

> P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
> film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
> include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
> performance by Hendrix. 8/10

CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis Joplin's caterwauling instead.

> Also another recent film worth mentioning would be...

> The Remains of the Day (1993)
> ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
> mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
> about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
> without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10

I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.

> And...

> The Piano (1993)
> Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
> perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10

I like the music a lot and Anna Paquin's (debut?) performance, but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion. And while I usually like Harvey Keitel, his attempted Scottish accent is worse than James Doohan's.

> And here's a Oscar nominated short for Gracs:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn5d2Q1NJLU

> Highly stylized (great cinematography) jazz jamming session (clearly
> premeditated though). Good stuff and has been included in US National
> Film Registry for a reason. 8/10

Yes, it looks really good.

TT

May 24, 2017, 7:05:28 PM5/24/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 1:32:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>
>> P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
>> film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
>> include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
>> performance by Hendrix. 8/10
>
> CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis Joplin's caterwauling instead.

Yes Joplin's performance was a bit shrieky although I generally like her
songs a lot...

On other hand I felt Baez was less shrieky than usual and liked both her
songs included.

>> Also another recent film worth mentioning would be...
>
>> The Remains of the Day (1993)
>> ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
>> mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
>> about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
>> without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10
>
> I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.

I must warn you... it's very risky, sort of love it or hate it film.
...The pace is rather slow and the film is very understated. Hopkins
does a masterclass of over-underacting...

>> And...
>
>> The Piano (1993)
>> Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
>> perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10
>
> I like the music a lot and Anna Paquin's (debut?) performance, but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion. And while I usually like Harvey Keitel, his attempted Scottish accent is worse than James Doohan's.

Not sure what was so ball-cutting. Ok, maybe the husband indeed felt too
well behaved for the most part, which was sort of infuriating. Holly
Hunter looked perfect for the part all white & black dress... and I
think her acting was sublime.

TT

May 24, 2017, 7:10:10 PM5/24/17
TT kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 2:05:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 1:32:
>> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
>>> film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
>>> include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
>>> performance by Hendrix. 8/10
>>
>> CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis
>> Joplin's caterwauling instead.
>>

> Yes Joplin's performance was a bit shrieky although I generally like her
> songs a lot...
>
> On other hand I felt Baez was less shrieky than usual and liked both her
> songs included.

PS...Scorsese was assistant director and also did editing. We can blame
Marty.

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 7:22:12 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:28 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 1:32:
> > On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> >
> >> P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
> >> film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
> >> include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
> >> performance by Hendrix. 8/10
> >
> > CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis Joplin's caterwauling instead.
> >

> Yes Joplin's performance was a bit shrieky although I generally like her
> songs a lot...
>
> On other hand I felt Baez was less shrieky than usual and liked both her
> songs included.

I'll have to have another look at that part. I have mixed feelings about Baez as well. It seems she's either very annoying or very good.

Have you seen "Monterey Pop"? D.A. Pennebaker did this (same guy who did the iconic Dylan film "Don't Look Back"). Just as important a film/historical document as "Woodstock" IMO. It includes the only live non-lip-synching performance by the Mamas & Papas that I can find, and they were great.

Side-note: vintage Michelle Phillips is supreme eye-candy for those who think physical beauty counts for anything. ;)

> >> Also another recent film worth mentioning would be...

> >> The Remains of the Day (1993)
> >> ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
> >> mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
> >> about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
> >> without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10

> > I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.

> I must warn you... it's very risky, sort of love it or hate it film.
> ...The pace is rather slow and the film is very understated. Hopkins
> does a masterclass of over-underacting...

Thanks for the warning. Now I know the treacherous waters that lie ahead.

> >> The Piano (1993)
> >> Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
> >> perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10

> > I like the music a lot and Anna Paquin's (debut?) performance, but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion. And while I usually like Harvey Keitel, his attempted Scottish accent is worse than James Doohan's.

> Not sure what was so ball-cutting. Ok, maybe the husband indeed felt too
> well behaved for the most part, which was sort of infuriating. Holly
> Hunter looked perfect for the part all white & black dress... and I
> think her acting was sublime.

Well I haven't seen it since the film's release, but Jane Campion always sneaks in ball-cutting themes. Even more so in "Holy Smoke," which isn't even as good a film.

TT

May 24, 2017, 7:33:44 PM5/24/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 2:22:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:05:28 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 1:32:

>>> CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis Joplin's caterwauling instead.
>>>

>> Yes Joplin's performance was a bit shrieky although I generally like her
>> songs a lot...
>>
>> On other hand I felt Baez was less shrieky than usual and liked both her
>> songs included.
>
> I'll have to have another look at that part. I have mixed feelings about Baez as well. It seems she's either very annoying or very good.
>
> Have you seen "Monterey Pop"? D.A. Pennebaker did this (same guy who did the iconic Dylan film "Don't Look Back"). Just as important a film/historical document as "Woodstock" IMO. It includes the only live non-lip-synching performance by the Mamas & Papas that I can find, and they were great.

Yes I think I have seen it. I think it is the very documentary I saw as
a youngster and which made me aware of Monterey/Woodstock phenomenon and
made everlasting impression. In fact this documentary is the reason why
I gave 'Woostock' only an 8... I don't know, maybe the time has made it
more golden than it is. Probably also seen plenty of clips later on.

But thanks for mentioning it, I didn't remember the name. I think I'll
slap it an 8 for good measure.

> Side-note: vintage Michelle Phillips is supreme eye-candy for those who think physical beauty counts for anything. ;)

And Mama Cass isn't? :)

>>> I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.
>
>> I must warn you... it's very risky, sort of love it or hate it film.
>> ...The pace is rather slow and the film is very understated. Hopkins
>> does a masterclass of over-underacting...
>
> Thanks for the warning. Now I know the treacherous waters that lie ahead.

Hahaha

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 7:43:44 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 4:33:44 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 2:22:

> > Have you seen "Monterey Pop"? D.A. Pennebaker did this (same guy who did the iconic Dylan film "Don't Look Back"). Just as important a film/historical document as "Woodstock" IMO. It includes the only live non-lip-synching performance by the Mamas & Papas that I can find, and they were great.

> Yes I think I have seen it. I think it is the very documentary I saw as
> a youngster and which made me aware of Monterey/Woodstock phenomenon and
> made everlasting impression. In fact this documentary is the reason why
> I gave 'Woostock' only an 8... I don't know, maybe the time has made it
> more golden than it is. Probably also seen plenty of clips later on.

> But thanks for mentioning it, I didn't remember the name. I think I'll
> slap it an 8 for good measure.

> > Side-note: vintage Michelle Phillips is supreme eye-candy for those who think physical beauty counts for anything. ;)

> And Mama Cass isn't? :)

Well, eye of the beholder. She certainly was the superior talent (as Michelle freely admits) and probably a better person. Cass was infatuated with "Papa" Denny Doherty even before the band's formation, but he never reciprocated her interest beyond friendship. This is something he apparently had agonized guilt over for years after her death.

Court_1

May 24, 2017, 7:50:37 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 5:49:08 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> The Remains of the Day (1993)
> ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
> mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
> about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
> without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10
>
> And...
>
> The Piano (1993)
> Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
> perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10

"The Remains of the Day" and "The Piano" are both excellent period piece films! I agree! TT, what's happening to you? I like it!

When I saw your comment that The Piano is "perverted" I thought for a moment you were talking about the film "The Piano Teacher"(2001) about a student pursuing his masochistic piano teacher. THAT was a darkly disturbing and perverted in many ways film. I didn't end up liking that one at all but "The Piano" with Holly Hunter was very good from what I remember and I don't recall it being perverted?

Court_1

May 24, 2017, 8:07:16 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 6:32:31 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > The Remains of the Day (1993)
> > ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
> > mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
> > about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
> > without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10
>
> I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.

Hopkins is very good in The Remains of the Day and Howard's End (and obviously his signature role, The Silence of the Lambs.) Just don't watch Hopkins in Legends of the Fall! But I think we discussed that already and agreed that his performance in that was a head-scratcher. Legends of the Fall was a very good film with his performance being the exception. He's done a lot of bad stuff for a quick buck but when he's good and it's a quality production, he's really good.

> I like the music a lot and Anna Paquin's (debut?) performance,

I'm not an Anna Paquin fan. That space in between her teeth! It drives me crazy(sorry, there's the shallow part of me!) But her performance in The Piano and the film itself is good.

> but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion.

How so? I don't recall feminism permeating that film.

> And while I usually like Harvey Keitel, his attempted Scottish accent is worse than James Doohan's.

I'm not a Harvey Keitel fan either. His acting is pretty bad actually. I'm also not a Holly Hunter fan. I dislike how she talks and pronounces certain words. My dad does the best impression of how Hunter speaks with her "sh" lisp. She's a plain Jane too for an actress IMO but she's a competent enough actress.

Court_1

May 24, 2017, 8:11:09 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 7:22:12 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> Side-note: vintage Michelle Phillips is supreme eye-candy for those who think physical beauty counts for anything. ;)

Careful now! ;)

We know it obviously doesn't count for much in your book! *rolls eyes*

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 8:41:20 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 5:07:16 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 6:32:31 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
>
> > > The Remains of the Day (1993)
> > > ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
> > > mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
> > > about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
> > > without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10
> >
> > I still haven't seen this. I should watch now that I know how good Hopkins can be in something he takes seriously.
>
> Hopkins is very good in The Remains of the Day and Howard's End (and obviously his signature role, The Silence of the Lambs.) Just don't watch Hopkins in Legends of the Fall! But I think we discussed that already and agreed that his performance in that was a head-scratcher. Legends of the Fall was a very good film with his performance being the exception. He's done a lot of bad stuff for a quick buck but when he's good and it's a quality production, he's really good.

I believe we've discussed "Legends of the Fall" before. That's one we disagree on in a big way. I really hate it--a lot!

And I doubt if Hopkins thought much of the film either, because otherwise he wouldn't have given such a comically bad performance. What he did in "Westworld" last year was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

> > but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion.

> How so? I don't recall feminism permeating that film.

I may have retroactively edited that film in my mind after seeing Campion's "Holy Smoke." As I said, I haven't seen "The Piano" since its release.

> > And while I usually like Harvey Keitel, his attempted Scottish accent is worse than James Doohan's.

> I'm not a Harvey Keitel fan either. His acting is pretty bad actually.

I think he's fine doing gangsters and NYC characters. But playing a Scotsman was out of his range. Can't imagine what they were thinking in casting him.

> I'm also not a Holly Hunter fan. I dislike how she talks and pronounces certain words. My dad does the best impression of how Hunter speaks with her "sh" lisp. She's a plain Jane too for an actress

Well that depends on the role, doesn't it?

> IMO but she's a competent enough actress.

Her natural accent is hard for me to listen to. I don't mind her when she neutralizes it. Similar to Amy Madigan.

Court_1

May 24, 2017, 9:09:42 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:41:20 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> I believe we've discussed "Legends of the Fall" before. That's one we disagree on in a big way. I really hate it--a lot!

Oh, you hated the entire film? I thought you only hated Hopkins' performance? Yeah, if you hated the whole film, we disagree because I liked that film a lot with the exception of the absurd and over the top performance by Hopkins. It didn't fit in with the whole flavor of the film at all. I thought it was a beautiful film. The cinematography in particular was beautiful.

> And I doubt if Hopkins thought much of the film either, because otherwise he wouldn't have given such a comically bad performance. What he did in "Westworld" last year was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The film was well regarded unlike that horrible Meet Joe Black that he appeared in with Brad Pitt.

> > > but ball-cutting feminism permeates the film thanks to Jane Campion.
>
> > How so? I don't recall feminism permeating that film.
>
> I may have retroactively edited that film in my mind after seeing Campion's "Holy Smoke." As I said, I haven't seen "The Piano" since its release.

I haven't seen Holy Smoke. Other Campion films I've seen were The Portrait of a Lady (good), Bright Star(average) and In the Cut (bad.)

> > I'm not a Harvey Keitel fan either. His acting is pretty bad actually.
>
> I think he's fine doing gangsters and NYC characters. But playing a Scotsman was out of his range. Can't imagine what they were thinking in casting him.

Yes, it was strange casting of Keitel in The Piano. He must have been connected to somebody important involved in that film.

> > I'm also not a Holly Hunter fan. I dislike how she talks and pronounces certain words. My dad does the best impression of how Hunter speaks with her "sh" lisp. She's a plain Jane too for an actress
>
> Well that depends on the role, doesn't it?

What depends on the role? She's plain looking all around imo and her "sh" she adds on the end of words drives me crazy.

> > IMO but she's a competent enough actress.
>
> Her natural accent is hard for me to listen to. I don't mind her when she neutralizes it. Similar to Amy Madigan.

Hunter's accent is annoying and add in that "sh" lisp and it's unbearable. She was popular in the 90's and early 2000's and then she disappeared into thin air for a long time. It seems she's doing a few more things here and there these days.

Another actress I'm not a fan of--Amy Madigan.

jdeluise

May 24, 2017, 9:23:48 PM5/24/17
On Wed, 24 May 2017 17:41:17 -0700, Gracchus wrote:

> I believe we've discussed "Legends of the Fall" before. That's one we
> disagree on in a big way. I really hate it--a lot!

You and me both.

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 9:36:04 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 6:09:42 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:41:20 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > I believe we've discussed "Legends of the Fall" before. That's one we disagree on in a big way. I really hate it--a lot!

> Oh, you hated the entire film? I thought you only hated Hopkins' performance? Yeah, if you hated the whole film, we disagree because I liked that film a lot with the exception of the absurd and over the top performance by Hopkins. It didn't fit in with the whole flavor of the film at all. I thought it was a beautiful film. The cinematography in particular was beautiful.

The cinematography was beautiful, yes. But I hated nearly everything else. Pitt's and Ormand's characters, Henry Thomas's acting, the story, pandering to modern sensibilities in a period piece, etc. From what I recall of our discussion, you thought all those things same things were great, so there's not much left to say.

> > And I doubt if Hopkins thought much of the film either, because otherwise he wouldn't have given such a comically bad performance. What he did in "Westworld" last year was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

> The film was well regarded unlike that horrible Meet Joe Black that he appeared in with Brad Pitt.

> > > I'm also not a Holly Hunter fan. I dislike how she talks and pronounces certain words. My dad does the best impression of how Hunter speaks with her "sh" lisp. She's a plain Jane too for an actress

> > Well that depends on the role, doesn't it?

> What depends on the role? She's plain looking all around imo and her "sh" she adds on the end of words drives me crazy.

Well if the character is "plain-looking," then she'd be well-cast, right? That's one thing the Brits do so well--casting across the full spectrum. It feels a lot more authentic than glamming up or down.

> > > IMO but she's a competent enough actress.

> > Her natural accent is hard for me to listen to. I don't mind her when she neutralizes it. Similar to Amy Madigan.

> Hunter's accent is annoying and add in that "sh" lisp and it's unbearable. She was popular in the 90's and early 2000's and then she disappeared into thin air for a long time. It seems she's doing a few more things here and there these days.

I haven't noticed the lisp...though now that you've pointed it out, I'll probably hear nothing else when she speaks. I don't know where she disappeared to for those years, but I didn't miss her either.

> Another actress I'm not a fan of--Amy Madigan.

No, me neither.

Gracchus

May 24, 2017, 9:39:27 PM5/24/17
Watching it in the theater back then was like eating broken glass. Horrible. When Henry Thomas got caught in that concertina, I was cheering on the German gunners.

Court_1

May 24, 2017, 10:40:00 PM5/24/17
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 9:36:04 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> I haven't noticed the lisp...though now that you've pointed it out, I'll probably hear nothing else when she speaks.

Listen to her here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E2g0LBoPs0

"When I was six'sh' years old, I 'sh'tarted..

"I need to thank my fir'sh't piano teacher and I need to thank my parent'sh'"

"Jane Campion, I love you, thank you 'sh'o much."

She puts that "sh" on every 's.' Ugh.

jdeluise

May 24, 2017, 11:21:11 PM5/24/17
On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:39:25 -0700, Gracchus wrote:

> Watching it in the theater back then was like eating broken glass.
> Horrible. When Henry Thomas got caught in that concertina, I was
> cheering on the German gunners.

Oops, I think I was remembering "A River Runs Through It", and I didn't
like that one either.

Gracchus

May 25, 2017, 12:15:22 AM5/25/17
I never saw that. Even though I like some other films Redford directed ("Ordinary People," "The Milagro Beanfield War"), previews for "A River Runs Through It" didn't appeal to me so I didn't bother. Anyway, I seriously doubt if you'd like "Legends of the Fall."

stephenJ

May 25, 2017, 6:55:29 AM5/25/17
> On 5/24/2017 5:32 PM, Gracchus wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 2:49:08 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>
>> P.S. Watched today WOODSTOCK (1970)... brilliant documentary/concert
>> film, almost four hours long. My only complain is that they didn't
>> include any footage from CCR. Film (and Woodstock) ending with legendary
>> performance by Hendrix. 8/10
>
> CCR was great. They should have had them in the film and removed Janis Joplin's caterwauling instead.

IIRC, John Fogerty wouldn't sign the releases when the original film was
made.

If you want to see CCR's performance, get the 40th Anniversay bluray,
they are on it.

---

grif

May 25, 2017, 3:06:38 PM5/25/17
I think most people say that 7 is the best of the series.

I like how the series has these sage-like aphorisms. For instance, in the 8th edition, you are told that it doesn't matter what's under the hood, it's who's behind the wheel that is important. Mind blown.

This one might be the most important life lesson:
"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bullshit. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."

But first, I need to get some Ben and Jerry's while I ponder it.

grif

May 25, 2017, 3:12:10 PM5/25/17
Hopkins was in fine form in Remains. The only thing I remember about "The Piano" was arrrrghhh, not the finger!!!!!
Also see "The Hustler", "Misery" for similar moments!

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:20:14 PM5/25/17
You obviously got lot more from them than I. :)

Unrelated to FF but have you seen Juno 2007?
I liked it a lot and think you might as well.

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:27:04 PM5/25/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 2:50:
> On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 5:49:08 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>
>> The Remains of the Day (1993)
>> ...Had seen it before. This time around it made really big impression,
>> mainly because of acting (Hopkins). Slow paced but oddly engaging story
>> about unfulfilled love, I think comparable to 'In the Mood for Love'
>> without the art-part. Very mature film. 9/10
>>
>> And...
>>
>> The Piano (1993)
>> Another one that I forgot having seen. Really good film and nicely
>> perverted, too. Periods piece with some kick in it. 8/10
>
> "The Remains of the Day" and "The Piano" are both excellent period piece films! I agree! TT, what's happening to you? I like it!

Heh

> When I saw your comment that The Piano is "perverted" I thought for a moment you were talking about the film "The Piano Teacher"(2001) about a student pursuing his masochistic piano teacher. THAT was a darkly disturbing and perverted in many ways film. I didn't end up liking that one at all but "The Piano" with Holly Hunter was very good from what I remember and I don't recall it being perverted?

I thought the way Keitel's character hit on just married Hunter was
pretty perverted and how she agreed bit by bit... if I just watch you
play piano and peek under your skirt etc...
And I've lost count on films where Keitel does full frontal nudity.
Well, Bad Lieutenant at least.

I've noticed the film Piano Teacher on some lists and will probably
watch it in the future.

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:31:42 PM5/25/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 3:07:
> Hopkins is very good in The Remains of the Day and Howard's End

I'm not sure if I've seen the latter but planning to see it soon anyway,
as it too has Hopkins and Thompson - same as TROTD (viva stupid acronyms)

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:45:22 PM5/25/17
I don't hate it but it's really bad. Terrible sprawling over the top
melodrama... it's sort of unintentional comedy.

Good 'production values' and great looking visually but bad acting,
writing and horrible syrupy music which doesn't relent for a moment. The
'cool' Indian background story etc (Brad Pitt is raised by Indians and
likes to fight with bears - what a legend!) is just damn ridiculous.

I don't think Hopkins necessarily botched it though, not sure what more
he could have done with that character. Brad Pitt is terrible one note
actor while Aidan Quinn must be one of the worst actors to ever grace
the silver screen.

Other than that it's brilliant.

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:47:04 PM5/25/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 4:36:
> I haven't noticed the lisp...

Hardly disturbing in Piano since I don't think Hunter said a word in it
(she was sort of mute because of trauma).

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:48:16 PM5/25/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 4:39:
> Watching it in the theater back then was like eating broken glass. Horrible. When Henry Thomas got caught in that concertina, I was cheering on the German gunners.

That scene was ridiculous.

TT

May 25, 2017, 6:55:49 PM5/25/17
They're pretty similar films:

Oscars for cinematography
Brad Pitt with Indians
Terrible syrupy background music
Roughly same era for the story
Almost same year of release too (I've noticed that some films come out
in 'pairs')

The difference is though that 'A River...' is not over the top and
unintentionally amusing, I think it sort of succeeds in its goal to be a
'fine' film about 'river of life'... but the problem is that it's sort
of boring... at least for me.

grif

May 25, 2017, 6:57:24 PM5/25/17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRnWATJPrA

These lines would work on Courty :p

> Unrelated to FF but have you seen Juno 2007?
> I liked it a lot and think you might as well.

I remember it being on at the cinema at the time, but we skipped it for some reason. It appears to have won an Oscar.

I was once given Mishima's hauntingly melancholic novel, "Spring Snow", as a gift. It made a lasting impression, but I didn't know too much about the author, so when a recent impromptu conversation started concerning Mishima, I decided to watch "Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985)" afterwards.
"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089603/"
An interesting life to say the least.

TT

May 25, 2017, 7:05:54 PM5/25/17
Artsy...

Gracchus

May 25, 2017, 7:16:02 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 3:45:22 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> jdeluise kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 4:23:
> > On Wed, 24 May 2017 17:41:17 -0700, Gracchus wrote:
> >
> >> I believe we've discussed "Legends of the Fall" before. That's one we
> >> disagree on in a big way. I really hate it--a lot!
> >
> > You and me both.
> >

> I don't hate it but it's really bad. Terrible sprawling over the top
> melodrama... it's sort of unintentional comedy.
>
> Good 'production values' and great looking visually but bad acting,
> writing and horrible syrupy music which doesn't relent for a moment. The
> 'cool' Indian background story etc (Brad Pitt is raised by Indians and
> likes to fight with bears - what a legend!) is just damn ridiculous.

There are so many bad aspects of it. Brad Pitt's "favored son" character with his romantic hero name (Tristan!) is a self-absorbed prick that deserts his wife-to-be and runs away to wallow in self-pity after the younger brother's death, but we're supposed to admire him for it. Meanwhile the older brother is treated like roadkill by his father and wife (Ormond's character that planned to marry "Tristan") because he's just a "boring politician" even though he's a better human than his brother by any measure. And the "Indian background story" is trite beyond words. Of course this includes the obligatory barroom prejudice scene where Hopkins and his sons prove that they aren't bigots like the rest of their community, thus earning the sympathy and applause of a late 20th-century audience.

And I'm sure there are many worse parts I don't even remember. To think I once sat through the whole thing.

> I don't think Hopkins necessarily botched it though, not sure what more
> he could have done with that character. Brad Pitt is terrible one note
> actor while Aidan Quinn must be one of the worst actors to ever grace
> the silver screen.

I think Hopkins not only botched it, but did so on purpose. A man suffering the effects of a stroke shouldn't elicit laughter from movie viewers if played believably.

> Other than that it's brilliant.

Indeed. Switch out the story, characters, and actors, and the thing's a gem. The setting and cinematography are first-rate.

Guypers

May 25, 2017, 7:28:38 PM5/25/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:55:49 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
> jdeluise kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 6:21:
> > On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:39:25 -0700, Gracchus wrote:
> >
> >> Watching it in the theater back then was like eating broken glass.
> >> Horrible. When Henry Thomas got caught in that concertina, I was
> >> cheering on the German gunners.
> >
> > Oops, I think I was remembering "A River Runs Through It", and I didn't
> > like that one either.
> >

> They're pretty similar films:

> Oscars for cinematography
> Brad Pitt with Indians
> Terrible syrupy background music
> Roughly same era for the story
> Almost same year of release too (I've noticed that some films come out
> in 'pairs')
>

> The difference is though that 'A River...' is not over the top and
> unintentionally amusing, I think it sort of succeeds in its goal to be a
> 'fine' film about 'river of life'... but the problem is that it's sort
> of boring... at least for me.

Liked A River ...., fine photography, true to the book, Skerritt was good, well narrated by the sun dance kid, Mr. Novacaine Jaw himself, American West, glorious!

TT

May 25, 2017, 7:29:56 PM5/25/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 2:16:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 3:45:22 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> jdeluise kirjoitti 25.5.2017 klo 4:23:

>>> You and me both.
>>>

>> I don't hate it but it's really bad. Terrible sprawling over the top
>> melodrama... it's sort of unintentional comedy.
>>
>> Good 'production values' and great looking visually but bad acting,
>> writing and horrible syrupy music which doesn't relent for a moment. The
>> 'cool' Indian background story etc (Brad Pitt is raised by Indians and
>> likes to fight with bears - what a legend!) is just damn ridiculous.
>
> There are so many bad aspects of it. Brad Pitt's "favored son" character with his romantic hero name (Tristan!) is a self-absorbed prick that deserts his wife-to-be and runs away to wallow in self-pity after the younger brother's death, but we're supposed to admire him for it. Meanwhile the older brother is treated like roadkill by his father and wife (Ormond's character that planned to marry "Tristan") because he's just a "boring politician" even though he's a better human than his brother by any measure. And the "Indian background story" is trite beyond words. Of course this includes the obligatory barroom prejudice scene where Hopkins and his sons prove that they aren't bigots like the rest of their community, thus earning the sympathy and applause of a late 20th-century audience.

All legit complaints. The story plays out like some badly written
paperback romance novel, while trying to be overly epic.

> And I'm sure there are many worse parts I don't even remember. To think I once sat through the whole thing.
>
>> I don't think Hopkins necessarily botched it though, not sure what more
>> he could have done with that character. Brad Pitt is terrible one note
>> actor while Aidan Quinn must be one of the worst actors to ever grace
>> the silver screen.
>
> I think Hopkins not only botched it, but did so on purpose. A man suffering the effects of a stroke shouldn't elicit laughter from movie viewers if played believably.
>
>> Other than that it's brilliant.
>
> Indeed. Switch out the story, characters, and actors, and the thing's a gem. The setting and cinematography are first-rate.

And the God awful music. Switch it off too.

TT

May 25, 2017, 7:33:21 PM5/25/17
I give you that 'River' and 'Legends' sure have glorious scenery!

grif

May 25, 2017, 7:33:49 PM5/25/17
I agree, "A River Runs Through It" had a reflective, elegiac quality to it. A good film with gorgeous cinematography.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 7:38:29 AM5/26/17
I disagree completely. Sure there were some improbable happenings in Legends of the Fall but overall, I enjoyed the story and found the weakest link of the movie to be Hopkins' over the top performance. I also liked A River Runs Through It very much. Both are similar in feel and both are beautifully shot films.

Speaking of screwball comedies and The Lady Eve which was directed by Preston Sturges, last night I watched another Preston Sturges classic screwball comedy, The Palm Beach Story(1942) starring Claudette Colbert. Basically, I disliked it from start to finish.

I don't see how it's labelled as a screwball comedy because although it's plenty zany(and not in a good way), it's not funny or clever and has none of the rapid pace dialogue or intelligent battle of the sexes theme which are the hallmarks of screwball comedies. The premise is ludicrous and it's actually quite dull throughout.

Don't get me started on the lead female character (played by Colbert) and how unbelievable and silly her reason for being is. I realize this came out in 1942 but how her character is portrayed in this film is beyond belief even for that time period.

SPOILER AHEAD:

The premise is that she is in a marriage where her husband isn't making enough money as an architect to cover their expenses and she couldn't "cook or sew" and had no use (according to her) other than to attract wealthy males who would throw money at her based on her physical attractiveness so that she could have money for herself and her husband or soon to be ex-husband in order for him to have the financial backing for his harebrained ideas. As if this idea isn't absurd enough, casting the unattractive Colbert as a woman who would have men fall at her feet and throw her money is unbelievable. Colbert was a good actress but believable as a seductress? No way.

The chemistry between the leads Colbert and Joel McCrea was nonexistent and all the other characters were irritating. The "surprise" ending was so stupid and unsatisfying it added to the absurdity of the entire movie. If Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday are A+ screwball comedies and for me they are, The Palm Beach Story is a Z-level screwball comedy.

TT, if you have seen this film please don't tell me you liked it! I'll never be able to erase that from my mind. It's such a dumb, pointless and poorly crafted movie IMO.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 7:40:46 AM5/26/17
Yes, and Legends of the Fall had a similar quality. Did you see Legends of the Fall? Don't listen to some of these morons on RST.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 7:44:55 AM5/26/17
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:45:22 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> I don't think Hopkins necessarily botched it though,

Yes, he botched it. He was the worst part of the movie IMO.

> Brad Pitt is terrible one note
> actor

Agreed but I don't think he was bad in this movie.

> while Aidan Quinn must be one of the worst actors to ever grace
> the silver screen.

He's a pretty stiff actor but he used to be cute!

Pelle Svanslös

May 26, 2017, 7:48:39 AM5/26/17
So did Agassi's farewell speech.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 8:07:06 AM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 7:48:39 AM UTC-4, Pelle Svanslös wrote:

> > Yes, and Legends of the Fall had a similar quality.
>
> So did Agassi's farewell speech.

Meanwhile, your hero Djokovic, in his desperation after not winning anything for a year, is bowing down to Agassi at the moment. :)

grif

May 26, 2017, 9:32:21 AM5/26/17
I don't think it's as good as River. I found Legends unintentionally funny at the time. As part of Brad Pitt's grand entrance, there would be a disturbance with the wildlife, like a herd of horses would be seen galloping from something, just to make it clear that something momentous was about to happen. That's right folks, Brad Pitt's a-coming!

Anyway, some people did like it:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.sport.tennis/g3EjwGfe9QQ/276m9dAQ7KcJ

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:08:56 AM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 9:32:21 AM UTC-4, grif wrote:

> I don't think it's as good as River. I found Legends unintentionally funny at the time. As part of Brad Pitt's grand entrance, there would be a disturbance with the wildlife, like a herd of horses would be seen galloping from something, just to make it clear that something momentous was about to happen. That's right folks, Brad Pitt's a-coming!

LOL, I don't recall that. I did find Hopkins' performance unintentionally funny and cheesy and I didn't like the casting of Henry Thomas as the youngest brother. I found him to be weak in his role. But other than those things and a few silly things in the storyline, I remember enjoying it overall.
Dave and Iceberg liked it? Maybe I better reconsider! :) I wonder if I watched it today if I would still like it as much as I did years back?

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 10:09:42 AM5/26/17
Fine for you to trash films that we like without reservation, but when it's the other way around, you act like you have a personal stake in this superficial dross and get peevish. Oh, look--it appears grif doesn't have a high opinion of the film either, so you'll have to insult him as well to defend its honor. ***rolls eyes***

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:15:38 AM5/26/17
Ha ha! I figured that moron comment might provoke a response from you! Ok, my comment was harsh. I take it back. :)

Grif didn't say he hated Legends of the Fall but that he preferred A River Runs Through It.

If I put a gun to your head, would you rather watch Legends of the Fall or A Fish Called Wanda again? :)

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 10:26:31 AM5/26/17
Wouldn't even have to think about it. "Legends" without a doubt. Because (1) it has lots of nice mountains and waterfalls (2) Hopkins' performance and the cliched story provide many more laughs than anything in "A Fish Called Wanda."

TT

May 26, 2017, 10:28:27 AM5/26/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 14:38:
> Sure there were some improbable happenings in Legends of the Fall

You think? :)
> Speaking of screwball comedies and The Lady Eve which was directed by Preston Sturges, last night I watched another Preston Sturges classic screwball comedy, The Palm Beach Story(1942) starring Claudette Colbert. Basically, I disliked it from start to finish.

Well obviously it doesn't have Cary Grant so...

I haven't seen it yet.

TT

May 26, 2017, 10:29:08 AM5/26/17
'Moron' = disagrees with me

TT

May 26, 2017, 10:40:39 AM5/26/17
Courtsie is in good company. :-P

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:41:33 AM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:26:31 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> Wouldn't even have to think about it. "Legends" without a doubt. Because (1) it has lots of nice mountains and waterfalls (2) Hopkins' performance and the cliched story provide many more laughs than anything in "A Fish Called Wanda."

Ha ha! Good one! I truly can't understand how you didn't find AFCW hilarious. If I were only looking at your RST posts I would think it would be a movie would would like.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:43:20 AM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:28:27 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> > Speaking of screwball comedies and The Lady Eve which was directed by Preston Sturges, last night I watched another Preston Sturges classic screwball comedy, The Palm Beach Story(1942) starring Claudette Colbert. Basically, I disliked it from start to finish.
>
> Well obviously it doesn't have Cary Grant so...
>
> I haven't seen it yet.

Even Cary Grant couldn't save that ridiculous movie. I didn't like one thing about it. And yet, it's seen as a classic by many.

TT

May 26, 2017, 10:43:47 AM5/26/17
Record time backpedalling...

TT

May 26, 2017, 10:44:22 AM5/26/17
:)

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:51:18 AM5/26/17
I'm just wondering if I would like it as much today as I did when I saw it years ago. Our perceptions on certain things change over the years. I think I would still like it because I've seen snippets of it on tv over the years and had good feelings about it.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 10:55:01 AM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:43:47 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
Knowing you and some of the films you've liked, you'll probably like The Palm Beach Story but I'm going out on a limb and saying Gracchus would hate it.

TT

May 26, 2017, 11:13:00 AM5/26/17
Yeah, *some* classics seem to have reputation which exceeds their
quality. Even more so with new blockbusters (such as Fast & Furious
franchise) and some art films etc I think.

Well, here's a list of...

200 MOST OVERRATED FILMS AT IMDB THAT I'VE SEEN:
(difference between IMDB ratings and mine)

2006 Rang De Basanti
2001 Dil Chahta Hai
2008 Martyrs
1959 Hiroshima Mon Amour
1972 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
1995 The City of Lost Children
2012 Cloud Atlas
1975 Sholay
2000 Werckmeister Harmonies
1955 Ordet
2015 Furious 7
1999 Audition
2009 Hachi: A Dog's Tale
2008 The Dark Knight
2003 Big Fish
1972 Ecstasy of the Angels
1972 The Last House on the Left
2004 The Uninvited Guest
2015 Chappie
1967 Wavelength
2003 21 Grams
2010 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
2014 Kingsman: The Secret Service
1976 The Man Who Fell to Earth
1984 Stranger Than Paradise
2008 Quantum of Solace
2013 Kick-Ass 2
2012 The Dark Knight Rises
2009 3 Idiots
1945 Children of Paradise
2014 Godzilla
2006 The Fountain
2013 Under the Skin
1975 Black Moon
2004 The Passion of the Christ
1965 Alphaville
1996 Scream
1987 Wings of Desire
2007 There Will Be Blood
2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
1970 The Conformist
2007 Into the Wild
2014 The Grand Budapest Hotel
1979 Stalker
1939 The Rules of the Game
1963 The Leopard
2005 The Jacket
2006 Casino Royale
1950 Harvey
2016 Deadpool
2009 A Serious Man
2008 Tropic Thunder
2006 The Host
1955 Smiles of a Summer Night
2004 Primer
2013 Odd Thomas
1999 Fight Club
2013 The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
2014 Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
1999 Peppermint Candy
1971 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
1954 A Star Is Born
2012 End of Watch
2014 The Theory of Everything
2000 Battle Royale
2002 Adaptation.
1968 Hour of the Wolf
1968 Faces
1971 Le Mans
2002 Moonlight Mile
2011 The Intouchables
2013 The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
2001 The Royal Tenenbaums
2015 Creed
1987 Radio Days
1953 The Band Wagon
2014 The King of Arcades
1964 Dr. Strangelove
1988 Grave of the Fireflies
1950 Rabbit of Seville
1980 The Last Metro
1985 The Legend of Suram Fortress
2016 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
2009 The International
1933 She Done Him Wrong
2015 Terminator Genisys
2015 Self/less
2004 Night Watch
2012 Django Unchained
1941 Citizen Kane
1977 Eraserhead
1995 Toy Story
2009 Up
1952 Ikiru
1953 Tokyo Story
2004 Swades
1973 Sleeper
1980 Caddyshack
1903 The Great Train Robbery
2013 Oz the Great and Powerful
2015 Insurgent
2015 Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
1995 Heat
2013 The Wolf of Wall Street
2015 Inside Out
2004 Howl's Moving Castle
2015 Room
2009 Mary and Max
1962 The Exterminating Angel
1956 Aparajito
1943 The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
1969 Z
1997 Starship Troopers
1974 The Parallax View
1990 Wild at Heart
2010 The Whistleblower
1992 A League of Their Own
1957 A King in New York
1986 Manhunter
2004 Resident Evil: Apocalypse
2014 Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
1988 Akira
2014 Gone Girl
1977 Annie Hall
1960 La Dolce Vita
1975 Barry Lyndon
1982 Fanny and Alexander
1998 The Celebration
1995 Underground
1977 Opening Night
1962 My Life to Live
1998 There's Something About Mary
1986 Sid and Nancy
2006 Jackass Number Two
1967 The President's Analyst
2001 Brotherhood of the Wolf
1983 The Day After
1953 The War of the Worlds
2011 Larry Crowne
1995 Ghost in the Shell
2009 Star Trek
2013 Her
1944 Arsenic and Old Lace
1940 The Philadelphia Story
1938 Bringing Up Baby
1978 Dawn of the Dead
1970 White Sun of the Desert
1974 Young Frankenstein
1999 The Iron Giant
1989 Crimes and Misdemeanors
1992 Batman Returns
1959 The Mouse That Roared
1985 Pee-wee's Big Adventure
1988 Hairspray
1964 The Earth Dies Screaming
2006 Children of Men
2007 Hot Fuzz
2014 How to Train Your Dragon 2
2005 Serenity
1938 The Lady Vanishes
1962 Jules and Jim
1961 Last Year at Marienbad
2016 Captain America: Civil War
1935 Bride of Frankenstein
2016 Rogue One
1999 Toy Story 2
2005 Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning
1986 Little Shop of Horrors
2011 Captain America: The First Avenger
1985 The Last Dragon
1996 Kingpin
2007 Snow Angels
1987 Adventures in Babysitting
2010 Inception
2012 Iron Sky
2009 Beyond a Reasonable Doubt
1974 Blazing Saddles
2005 Grizzly Man
2011 X-Men: First Class
2006 Little Miss Sunshine
2012 Moonrise Kingdom
2012 Wreck-It Ralph
1964 The Pawnbroker
1950 La Ronde
1964 Mary Poppins
1936 Thru the Mirror
1992 Porco Rosso
2001 The Curse of the Jade Scorpion
1995 Clueless
1990 The Witches
2013 Stoker
1973 The Knock Out Cop
1990 Goodfellas
1964 Empire
2014 Into the Storm
1988 Spellbinder
2003 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
1964 A Hard Day's Night
1993 Dazed and Confused

IMO

I should also probably add some formula which takes away titles with
relatively few votes - after all it's sort of hard to claim a title
overrated if it's obscure at the same time...

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 2:42:15 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:13:00 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:

> I should also probably add some formula which takes away titles with
> relatively few votes - after all it's sort of hard to claim a title
> overrated if it's obscure at the same time...

I haven't seen a lot of these, but ones that I've seen that I agree are overrated:

The Dark Knight
21 Grams
The Fountain
Under the Skin (argh!)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Birdman
Eraserhead
A League of Their Own
Fanny and Alexander
Last Year at Marienbad (double argh!)
Inception
Radio Days
Hairspray
Oz the Great and Powerful
Heat
Annie Hall
Blazing Saddles
Bride of Frankenstein
Little Miss Sunshine

Ones I don't think are overrated:

The Jacket
Fight Club
Caddyshack
Manhunter
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Sleeper
Serenity
Goodfellas
A Hard Day's Night
The Last Dragon

Shakes

May 26, 2017, 3:08:58 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:13:00 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:

All the Hindi movies are overrated looks like ? :)))

As an aside, I was thinking if you might like to try this Hindi movie:
"Bombai ka Babu" ? Hindi movies have not tackled a similar theme before or after, and I'm not sure if Hollywood has tackled similar themes.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 3:59:09 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:13:00 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

Holy moly, that's a lot of movies! If I'm not commenting on a movie it means I haven't seen it or if I saw it, it doesn't have any significance for me either way. Below are my comments on movies I saw and remember.

> 1999 Audition

We've discussed that one ad nauseam. I liked it, you didn't.

> 2008 The Dark Knight
> 2003 Big Fish

The Dark Knight and all of those Batman and superhero films are overrated. Not my thing at all. Big Fish was overrated. It was mostly dull from what I recall.

> 2004 The Uninvited Guest
> 2003 21 Grams

I liked both of these.

> 2006 The Fountain

This movie was ok.

> 2004 The Passion of the Christ

Hated it!

> 1996 Scream

Not overrated for what it was IMO.

> 2007 There Will Be Blood

I liked it enough.

> 2014 The Grand Budapest Hotel
> 2014 Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Bwhahaha. These old chestnuts again. Two of my faves from 2014! :)

> 1971 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Are you kidding? This is one of the best movies for kids or adults. How can you think this film was overrated? Just like you said you thought The Wizard of Oz was overrated. That's sacrilegious!

> 2014 The Theory of Everything
> 2002 Adaptation.

Agreed. Both are greatly overrated.

> 1987 Radio Days
> 1973 Sleeper

I like both of these Woody Allen films.

> 1980 Caddyshack

My guy friends I grew up with would stab you for saying this film was overrated. Caddyshack was big when I was growing up and my guy friends would recite lines from it all the time.

> 2013 The Wolf of Wall Street

Extremely overrated.

> 2014 Gone Girl
> 1977 Annie Hall

Nope. Not overrated.

> 1998 There's Something About Mary

Very overrated.

> 2011 Larry Crowne

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

> 2013 Her

This movie annoyed me so yes, very overrated.

> 1944 Arsenic and Old Lace

A Cary Grant film I really dislike.

> 1940 The Philadelphia Story
> 1938 Bringing Up Baby

How dare you! Two of my favorite films of all time!

> 1974 Young Frankenstein

Are you crazy? This is one of the best comedies ever.

> 1989 Crimes and Misdemeanors

I don't agree. This was a very good Woody Allen film.

> 1992 Batman Returns

Another dumb Batman movie. Puke.

> 1996 Kingpin

Another very funny comedy. I love this zany film.

> 2006 Little Miss Sunshine

Dull film from start to finish.

> 1964 Mary Poppins

Tried to watch it and couldn't get by Van Dyke's horrible Cockney accent. Watched 10 minutes tops.

> 1995 Clueless

Come on! ;)

> 2013 Stoker

I loved Stoker in every way! One of the best films of 2013 IMO.

> 1990 Goodfellas

Agreed. Overrated for sure.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 4:08:10 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:42:15 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:13:00 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>
> > I should also probably add some formula which takes away titles with
> > relatively few votes - after all it's sort of hard to claim a title
> > overrated if it's obscure at the same time...
>
> I haven't seen a lot of these, but ones that I've seen that I agree are overrated:

> The Grand Budapest Hotel
> Birdman

Are you absolutely sure? I don't think we've discussed those films enough and you haven't expressed your dislike fervently enough. Hee hee. ;)

> Ones I don't think are overrated:

> Crimes and Misdemeanors
> Sleeper

TT simply hates Woody Allen. These two Woody Allen films are great IMO.

soccerfan777

May 26, 2017, 4:22:44 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:13:00 AM UTC-5, TT wrote:

> 1990 Goodfellas

You are dead to me!

soccerfan777

May 26, 2017, 4:24:03 PM5/26/17
Not sure why the bozo keeps watching commercial pap you see on IMDB. There were tons of great all time classics made in the last 100 years of Indian cinema and he watches millenial commerical crap off of IMDB lists.

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 4:26:58 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 1:08:10 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:42:15 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> > On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 8:13:00 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> >
> > > I should also probably add some formula which takes away titles with
> > > relatively few votes - after all it's sort of hard to claim a title
> > > overrated if it's obscure at the same time...
> >
> > I haven't seen a lot of these, but ones that I've seen that I agree are overrated:
>
> > The Grand Budapest Hotel
> > Birdman
>
> Are you absolutely sure? I don't think we've discussed those films enough and you haven't expressed your dislike fervently enough. Hee hee. ;)

Watching either of these again vs. "A Fish Called Wanda" would be a tougher decision than the one we talked about earlier.. But GBH is visually stunning, so I'd probably pick that one from the three.

> > Ones I don't think are overrated:

> > Crimes and Misdemeanors
> > Sleeper

> TT simply hates Woody Allen. These two Woody Allen films are great IMO.

I agree, and they stand up well to multiple viewings even all these years later. On the other hand, "Radio Days" seems to appeal most to those who grew up in that era (especially in NYC) and can appreciate the nostalgia value. And I liked "Annie Hall" at the time of its release, but doubt if I'd like it nearly as much now.

TT

May 26, 2017, 5:20:41 PM5/26/17
Fair enough, note that not all in the list are bad movies imo... just
not *that* good as they're made out to be...

Here's someone else's opinion on overrated films:
http://www.listchallenges.com/the-most-overrated-films-of-the-last-30-years

There are a few same titles as on my list... while I vehemently disagree
with some inclusions.

TT

May 26, 2017, 5:25:05 PM5/26/17
Mostly yes. I think there's a quite big cultural gap there :(
Their ratings are of course pumped up by large population of India...

Not all though, I've seen more than those in the list.

> As an aside, I was thinking if you might like to try this Hindi movie:
> "Bombai ka Babu" ? Hindi movies have not tackled a similar theme before or after, and I'm not sure if Hollywood has tackled similar themes.

Thanks for the recommendation. I must admit though that I don't like
musicals in general...

Shakes

May 26, 2017, 5:40:04 PM5/26/17
I recall you did like "Taare Zameen Par".

> > As an aside, I was thinking if you might like to try this Hindi movie:
> > "Bombai ka Babu" ? Hindi movies have not tackled a similar theme before or after, and I'm not sure if Hollywood has tackled similar themes.
> >

> Thanks for the recommendation. I must admit though that I don't like
> musicals in general...

Well, it is not a pure musical. It has some songs like all Indian movies do. It's hard to categorize it, but it's closer to being a thriller. Also, it's a 1960 movie so you need to overlook some chauvinistic views expressed in the theme.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 5:46:20 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 4:26:58 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> > > The Grand Budapest Hotel
> > > Birdman
> >
> > Are you absolutely sure? I don't think we've discussed those films enough and you haven't expressed your dislike fervently enough. Hee hee. ;)
>
> Watching either of these again vs. "A Fish Called Wanda" would be a tougher decision than the one we talked about earlier.. But GBH is visually stunning, so I'd probably pick that one from the three.

Ha ha! Try watching Laura Mars or how about trying to watch another TT fave--Porky's? Or how about Xanadu? :)

> > > Ones I don't think are overrated:
>
> > > Crimes and Misdemeanors
> > > Sleeper
>
> > TT simply hates Woody Allen. These two Woody Allen films are great IMO.
>
> I agree, and they stand up well to multiple viewings even all these years later. On the other hand, "Radio Days" seems to appeal most to those who grew up in that era (especially in NYC) and can appreciate the nostalgia value. And I liked "Annie Hall" at the time of its release, but doubt if I'd like it nearly as much now.

I liked Radio Days and I certainly didn't grow up in that era but my parents were born when radio was still THE entertainment source. I assume yours were too since you are older than I am.

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 6:03:13 PM5/26/17
Yes, they told me a lot about that era, but growing up in the age of television I can't directly relate to it. It's like today's kids trying to imagine the "olden days" when there was no Internet (as we know it now), social media, mobile phones, etc.

"Radio Days" also is tied strongly to Woody Allen's very NYC-centric experience, so that's another factor. As a counter-example, I like "Summer of '42" a lot even though it's set in the same era. Watching that one made me feel nostalgia for a time I never even knew.

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:08:50 PM5/26/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 22:59:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 11:13:00 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>
> Holy moly, that's a lot of movies! If I'm not commenting on a movie it means I haven't seen it or if I saw it, it doesn't have any significance for me either way. Below are my comments on movies I saw and remember.
>
>> 1999 Audition
>
> We've discussed that one ad nauseam. I liked it, you didn't.

Yep

>> 2008 The Dark Knight
>> 2003 Big Fish
>
> The Dark Knight and all of those Batman and superhero films are overrated. Not my thing at all. Big Fish was overrated. It was mostly dull from what I recall.

Batman films in general are incredibly overrated yes.

I do like many other superhero films though... X Men, Reeves Superman
etc. And of course I'm a huge scifi-buff, regularly finish at top 1% at
listchallenge lists.

>> 2004 The Uninvited Guest
>> 2003 21 Grams
>
> I liked both of these.
>

>> 2006 The Fountain
>
> This movie was ok.
>
>> 2004 The Passion of the Christ
>
> Hated it!

I think it was disgustingly violent for pure shock value.
Now 'The Last Temptation of Christ' is how it should be done with good
taste.

>> 1996 Scream
>
> Not overrated for what it was IMO.

And what it was wasn't much. :)

>> 2007 There Will Be Blood
>
> I liked it enough.

May have underrated it a bit. Still I don't think worth a 8 IMDB general
rating.

>> 2014 The Grand Budapest Hotel
>> 2014 Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
>
> Bwhahaha. These old chestnuts again. Two of my faves from 2014! :)
>

>> 1971 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
>
> Are you kidding? This is one of the best movies for kids or adults. How can you think this film was overrated? Just like you said you thought The Wizard of Oz was overrated. That's sacrilegious!

I don't see what's so good with WW... ok Oompa Loompas are sort of funny
and the film is certainly nice to look at and 'innovative'... but the
story not so much... Can't carry the whole day with candy, need some
steak too.

>> 2014 The Theory of Everything
>> 2002 Adaptation.
>
> Agreed. Both are greatly overrated.
>
>> 1987 Radio Days
>> 1973 Sleeper
>
> I like both of these Woody Allen films.

I found Radio Days being sort of fake nostalgia and pretentious with it.

Sleeper isn't very good scifi nor humour imo... it's like Woody Allen
films often are: Not enough serious and not enough funny, some sort of
lame mix of both.

>> 1980 Caddyshack
>
> My guy friends I grew up with would stab you for saying this film was overrated. Caddyshack was big when I was growing up and my guy friends would recite lines from it all the time.

To each of their own I guess.

>> 2013 The Wolf of Wall Street
>
> Extremely overrated.

I may have underrated it though.

>> 2014 Gone Girl
>> 1977 Annie Hall
>
> Nope. Not overrated.
>

>> 1998 There's Something About Mary
>
> Very overrated.

Apart from the hair gel scene.
I also don't like Cameron Diaz and her huge mouth at all.

>> 2011 Larry Crowne
>
> One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I've mercifully forgotten all about it. Pretty interesting that it's
overrated at 6,1... (I have it at 3)

>> 2013 Her
>
> This movie annoyed me so yes, very overrated.

I don't think it's particularly bad, but not as good as the IMDB rating
suggests either.

>> 1944 Arsenic and Old Lace
>
> A Cary Grant film I really dislike.

Wooohooo!

>> 1940 The Philadelphia Story
>> 1938 Bringing Up Baby
>
> How dare you! Two of my favorite films of all time!

Again, I don't think particularly bad but not great either...

>> 1974 Young Frankenstein
>
> Are you crazy? This is one of the best comedies ever.

Maybe I was expecting something truly hilarious. It's not bad but just
didn't make laugh much.

>> 1989 Crimes and Misdemeanors
>
> I don't agree. This was a very good Woody Allen film.

The Martin Landau story had lots of potential and ended up being pretty
good. However the TOTALLY UNRELATED Woody Allen part was completely
unnecessary, with some ok jokes but was mostly there just to showcase
Allen's usual neurotic and annoying character in it... unnecessary,
self-serving and not consistent with the tone of the Landau story.

I have it at 5. Could have been a 6 or 7 without Allen injecting himself
in it.

>> 1992 Batman Returns
>
> Another dumb Batman movie. Puke.

It's really bad, even with Pfeiffer in a catsuit which is pretty much
the only positive thing about it.

>> 1996 Kingpin
>
> Another very funny comedy. I love this zany film.
>
>> 2006 Little Miss Sunshine
>
> Dull film from start to finish.
>
>> 1964 Mary Poppins
>
> Tried to watch it and couldn't get by Van Dyke's horrible Cockney accent. Watched 10 minutes tops.

It's sort of good in its own category (if there is a category for it)...
but not something I'd want to watch again...

Of course Julie Andrews is perfect in the role.

>> 1995 Clueless
>
> Come on! ;)

It's true and you know it. :)

>> 2013 Stoker
>
> I loved Stoker in every way! One of the best films of 2013 IMO.

I have it at four, but as Whisper would put it: I remember fuck all
about it.

>> 1990 Goodfellas
>
> Agreed. Overrated for sure.

We're dead to Raja. :)

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 6:12:45 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

> Yes, they told me a lot about that era, but growing up in the age of television I can't directly relate to it. It's like today's kids trying to imagine the "olden days" when there was no Internet (as we know it now), social media, mobile phones, etc.
>
> "Radio Days" also is tied strongly to Woody Allen's very NYC-centric experience, so that's another factor. As a counter-example, I like "Summer of '42" a lot even though it's set in the same era. Watching that one made me feel nostalgia for a time I never even knew.

I think Allen did a good job in Radio Days of making one really feel what that era was like. I didn't feel detached from it even though I didn't personally experience it directly. I agree that Summer of 42 also did a good job with that. I think many movies depicting a different era do a good job making you feel or understand that specific time period.

Yes, Woody Allen's movies tend to be very NYC-centric but I can personally relate to that aspect of his life and understand his cultural humour very well.

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:18:38 PM5/26/17
:)

I think it's good (6/10)... but still overrated and not even close to
being one of the best gangster films and especially not with the level
of Leone's ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA which is simply brilliant on all
accounts... cinematography, acting, story.

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 6:21:37 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:08:50 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> Court_1 kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 22:59:

> >> 2007 There Will Be Blood

> > I liked it enough.

> May have underrated it a bit. Still I don't think worth a 8 IMDB general
> rating.

It had some good performances, but I think the high ratings have more to do with the many Biblical references and all that. The critics eat up anything even vaguely apocalyptic.

> >> 1971 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

> > Are you kidding? This is one of the best movies for kids or adults. How can you think this film was overrated? Just like you said you thought The Wizard of Oz was overrated. That's sacrilegious!

> I don't see what's so good with WW... ok Oompa Loompas are sort of funny
> and the film is certainly nice to look at and 'innovative'... but the
> story not so much... Can't carry the whole day with candy, need some
> steak too.

I think it had much more going for it than the Oompa Loompas, but then I read the book too as a kid. Couldn't even stand previews of the remake with his mincing pansy Willy Wonka (much like his mincing pansy Mad Hatter).

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 6:23:30 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:21:37 PM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:

> I think it had much more going for it than the Oompa Loompas, but then I read the book too as a kid. Couldn't even stand previews of the remake with his mincing pansy Willy Wonka (much like his mincing pansy Mad Hatter).

Johnny Depp that is.

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:28:40 PM5/26/17
soccerfan777 kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 23:24:
>> All the Hindi movies are overrated looks like ? :)))

> Not sure why the bozo keeps watching commercial pap you see on IMDB. There were tons of great all time classics made in the last 100 years of Indian cinema and he watches millenial commerical crap off of IMDB lists.

Well I have also seen...
SHOLAY (1975) - which I thought was horrible

GANGS OF WASSEYPUR (2012) - which I thought is very good gangster epic
and not typical Bollywood at all.

And Satyajit Ray's APU TRILOGY 1955-1959 - which is seen as masterpiece
of world cinema and was good but maybe not quite as good as its reputation.

1955 Pather Panchali - 7
1956 Aparajito - 5
1959 The World of Apu - 6

The first part was by far the best of the trilogy.

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:34:18 PM5/26/17
Shakes kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 0:40:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:25:05 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
>> Shakes kirjoitti 26.5.2017 klo 22:08:
>
>>> All the Hindi movies are overrated looks like ? :)))
>>>

>> Mostly yes. I think there's a quite big cultural gap there :(
>> Their ratings are of course pumped up by large population of India...
>>
>> Not all though, I've seen more than those in the list.
>>

> I recall you did like "Taare Zameen Par".

Yes. I thought the child actor was brilliant and captured the essence of
being a child well. I rated it first a 9 but have since downgraded it to
8 because the story is after all rather common and formulaic. Still a
great film imo.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 6:34:47 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:20:41 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> Here's someone else's opinion on overrated films:
> http://www.listchallenges.com/the-most-overrated-films-of-the-last-30-years
>
> There are a few same titles as on my list... while I vehemently disagree
> with some inclusions.

First of all, you can tell the person who created this list is male even if you didn't see his name. Boys like a lot of dumb movies. :)

I disagree that the following are overrated:

The Danish Girl, Alice In Wonderland, Chicago, Chocolat, Pleasantville, Clueless(lol, my one girly obnoxious pick), Howard's End, Dracula, Misery, Say Anything(love it), The March of the Penguins (cute), The Notebook(the only movie based on a Nicholas Sparks book I can sit through and actually enjoyed), Walk the Line (it's fantastic), Troy (it was good), Monster, Quiz Show, Fried Green Tomatoes, Back to School (funny for what it was.)

I agree that the following are overrated:

Boyhood (big time--Gracchus try watching that one twice!), American Sniper, Her, The Tree of Life(awful), Twilight (obviously), The Blind Side (it was just ok), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 version (horrible), The Passion of the Christ, Pearl Harbor, The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Terminator 2 (all Terminator movies are vastly overrated IMO), Ghost, Field of Dreams(blech), The Accidental Tourist, Raising Arizona (hated it), Dirty Dancing (yes, x100), Top Gun (lol TT),

grif

May 26, 2017, 6:35:04 PM5/26/17
On 26/05/2017 12:38, Court_1 wrote:

> Speaking of screwball comedies and The Lady Eve which was directed by Preston Sturges, last night I watched another Preston Sturges classic screwball comedy, The Palm Beach Story(1942) starring Claudette Colbert. Basically, I disliked it from start to finish.
>
> I don't see how it's labelled as a screwball comedy because although it's plenty zany(and not in a good way), it's not funny or clever and has none of the rapid pace dialogue or intelligent battle of the sexes theme which are the hallmarks of screwball comedies. The premise is ludicrous and it's actually quite dull throughout.
>
> Don't get me started on the lead female character (played by Colbert) and how unbelievable and silly her reason for being is. I realize this came out in 1942 but how her character is portrayed in this film is beyond belief even for that time period.

You probably should have just watched "The Lady Eve" instead. Mention of "Annie Hall" (I like most of the early Allen comedies, but this is probably my favourite out of them) made me curious to see how high it was on some of these romcom lists. For some reason, I thought it was higher than "When Harry Met Sally" on these lists, but it's not.

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/the-50-best-romcoms-of-all-time#tab_panel_4
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/romantic-comedies-best/

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:36:33 PM5/26/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 0:46:
> Ha ha! Try watching Laura Mars or how about trying to watch another TT fave--Porky's? Or how about Xanadu?:)

I think Gracs might actually like Laura Mars. Xanadu probably not,
unless he's a big fan of ONJ/ELO and the 80s...

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:42:50 PM5/26/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 1:03:
> "Radio Days" also is tied strongly to Woody Allen's very NYC-centric experience, so that's another factor. As a counter-example, I like "Summer of '42" a lot even though it's set in the same era. Watching that one made me feel nostalgia for a time I never even knew.

Still not seen '42'.... but watched Bogdanovich's PAPER MOON which I
thought was great - the characters gradually grow on you during the
film. Maybe the B/W cinematography also created some feel of
past/depression era.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 6:44:14 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:35:04 PM UTC-4, grif wrote:

> You probably should have just watched "The Lady Eve" instead.

I intend to watch it. I was looking through my dvd film collection and I had The Palm Beach Story on dvd.

> Mention of "Annie Hall" (I like most of the early Allen comedies, but this is probably my favourite out of them) made me curious to see how high it was on some of these romcom lists. For some reason, I thought it was higher than "When Harry Met Sally" on these lists, but it's not.
>
> https://www.timeout.com/london/film/the-50-best-romcoms-of-all-time#tab_panel_4
> http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/romantic-comedies-best/

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind makes me vomit. :)
His Girl Friday and Philadelphia Story made the list of course! :)
I must watch Roman Holiday. I love Audrey Hepburn. So elegant.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 6:49:28 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:42:50 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> Still not seen '42'....

You should watch it. You'll appreciate a young ‎Jennifer O'Neill. She was super pretty IMO. I have an aunt who looked like Jennifer O'Neill when she was younger.

> but watched Bogdanovich's PAPER MOON which I
> thought was great - the characters gradually grow on you during the
> film. Maybe the B/W cinematography also created some feel of
> past/depression era.

I also liked Paper Moon.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 6:51:04 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:36:33 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> I think Gracs might actually like Laura Mars.

I don't think so!

> Xanadu probably not,
> unless he's a big fan of ONJ/ELO and the 80s...

If he's an ONJ fan, there are better things to watch. He doesn't have to torture himself by watching that crap movie.

TT

May 26, 2017, 6:53:51 PM5/26/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 1:12:
> I think Allen did a good job in Radio Days of making one really feel what that era was like.

I found the depiction of era completely fake, a fairy tale world and
looking like it too.

Court_1

May 26, 2017, 7:03:44 PM5/26/17
It had the opposite effect on me. Each to his own.

TT

May 26, 2017, 7:12:16 PM5/26/17
Court_1 kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 1:34:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:20:41 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
>

>> Here's someone else's opinion on overrated films:
>> http://www.listchallenges.com/the-most-overrated-films-of-the-last-30-years
>>
>> There are a few same titles as on my list... while I vehemently disagree
>> with some inclusions.
>
> First of all, you can tell the person who created this list is male even if you didn't see his name. Boys like a lot of dumb movies. :)
>
> I disagree that the following are overrated:
>
> The Danish Girl, Alice In Wonderland, Chicago, Chocolat, Pleasantville, Clueless(lol, my one girly obnoxious pick), Howard's End, Dracula, Misery, Say Anything(love it), The March of the Penguins (cute), The Notebook(the only movie based on a Nicholas Sparks book I can sit through and actually enjoyed), Walk the Line (it's fantastic), Troy (it was good), Monster, Quiz Show, Fried Green Tomatoes, Back to School (funny for what it was.)

Have to watch Howard's End this weekend for confirmation one or the other.

> I agree that the following are overrated:
>
> Boyhood (big time--Gracchus try watching that one twice!), American Sniper, Her, The Tree of Life(awful), Twilight (obviously), The Blind Side (it was just ok), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 version (horrible), The Passion of the Christ, Pearl Harbor, The Sixth Sense, The Matrix, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Terminator 2 (all Terminator movies are vastly overrated IMO), Ghost, Field of Dreams(blech), The Accidental Tourist, Raising Arizona (hated it), Dirty Dancing (yes, x100), Top Gun (lol TT),

Terminator, Matrix and Top Gun are damn masterpieces I tell ya this much.

Dirty Dancing may be a bit overrated but still nice guilty pleasure...
Not liking DD is almost like saying that Footloose sucks - blasphemy! :)

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 7:18:19 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:34:47 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

> I disagree that the following are overrated:
>
> The Danish Girl, Alice In Wonderland, Chicago, Chocolat, Pleasantville, Clueless(lol, my one girly obnoxious pick), Howard's End, Dracula, Misery, Say Anything(love it), The March of the Penguins (cute), The Notebook(the only movie based on a Nicholas Sparks book I can sit through and actually enjoyed), Walk the Line (it's fantastic), Troy (it was good), Monster, Quiz Show, Fried Green Tomatoes, Back to School (funny for what it was.)

I agree with you on a number of these. "Chocolat" though, we've discussed. And I really hate it.

> I agree that the following are overrated:

> Boyhood (big time--Gracchus try watching that one twice!)

I think I made a good call in not watching it when it was being hyped. No way I'm watching it now. :)

> Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 2005 version (horrible)

One of those remakes that desecrates the original.

> The Sixth Sense

I liked it a lot. Not a damn thing else that Shyamalan does though.

> The Matrix

I like the first one despite Keanu's usual terrible acting. The sequels were horrible though.

> Four Weddings and a Funeral

Yes, enormously overrated.

> Terminator 2 (all Terminator movies are vastly overrated IMO)

Seems like you dislike the whole genre. IMO the original "Terminator" is loads of fun. "Terminator 2" didn't match it, and the third was bad in every way.

> Ghost Field of Dreams(blech) The Accidental Tourist

All vastly overrated, yes.

> Raising Arizona (hated it)

Can it be that we've never discussed this before? I thought I was the only person in the world that hates "Raising Arizona" even though I like a lot of Coen Brothers films

> Dirty Dancing (yes, x100)

I'll never understand why it's supposed to be a classic.

> Top Gun (lol TT)

What more is there to say about "Maverick" and company?

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 7:22:45 PM5/26/17
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:49:28 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:42:50 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:

> > Still not seen '42'....

> You should watch it. You'll appreciate a young ‎Jennifer O'Neill. She was super pretty IMO. I have an aunt who looked like Jennifer O'Neill when she was younger.

Yes, O'Neill was perfect for that film and played her part perfectly. I think the studio wanted Barbra Streisand. Can you imagine?

Gracchus

May 26, 2017, 7:25:59 PM5/26/17
It probably was Allen's intent to idealize the era. Our minds often do that anyway in reconstructing memories of an earlier time. In fact, that's largely what nostalgia is all about.

TT

May 26, 2017, 7:47:16 PM5/26/17
Gracchus kirjoitti 27.5.2017 klo 2:18:
>> Four Weddings and a Funeral
> Yes, enormously overrated.

Catchy theme song and lots of advertising. It kind of hit a spot with
(some) generation X-ers.

>> Terminator 2 (all Terminator movies are vastly overrated IMO)
> Seems like you dislike the whole genre. IMO the original "Terminator" is loads of fun. "Terminator 2" didn't match it, and the third was bad in every way.

I sort of like T2 more, the liquid metal man.

But yes, Courtsie is not very qualified to discuss this genre...

>> Top Gun (lol TT)
> What more is there to say about "Maverick" and company?

You've lost that loving feeling.

Whatever you think about the formulaic story and the characters... the
flying scenes and cinematography are great and I don't think that can be
denied.

TT

May 26, 2017, 7:49:15 PM5/26/17
Didn't you dislike A Few Good Men/Rainman too?
It is loading more messages.