The Trek up the ATP #1 Mountain

Vrai Cinico

Mar 11, 2010, 5:12:07 PM3/11/10
Sampras is still at the summit with 286 weeks as #1.

Federer has been #1 for 273 weeks and should he keep the #1 rank going
forward, he will overtake Sampras on June 14, 2010.

Lendl is third on the list with 270 weeks as the #1. Connors is #4 with
268 weeks.

Federer will have 4000 points on the line in the period surrounding June
14th as he won the channel slams last year.

So what is the situation for the pack chasing Federer?

Here is the breakdown leading up to the week before Roland Garros with
last year's points removed from current totals for the top players:

1. Federer 9280
2. Djokovic 5720
3. del Potro 5115
4. Murray 5105
5. Davydenko 4830
6. Soderling 3750
7. Nadal 3160
8. Roddick 3000
9. Cilic 2745
10. Tsonga 2590

We can take stock again around Madrid to see who is surging and who is
not. Last year, Nadal looked unassailable with Federer a distant second
even after Federer defeated Nadal in the Madrid final. But that can
change in a hurry as we saw last year. This time the tables are turned
as far as Federer and Nadal are concerned. But unless Nadal comes back
stronger than ever (like Jesus and Rambo et. al.?), it will be Djokovic
and Murray leading the assault on Mount Federer.

--
Cheers,

vc

TT

Mar 11, 2010, 5:24:18 PM3/11/10
Vrai Cinico wrote:
> lots of meaningless crap

Yes we know that Fed will stay #1 until FO at least.

Manco

Mar 11, 2010, 7:00:48 PM3/11/10

Which makes you insane with rage.

Vrai Cinico

Mar 11, 2010, 7:42:55 PM3/11/10

Some people think winning Barcelona is more meaningful than most weeks
at #1. Go figure!

--
Cheers,

vc

Superdave

Mar 11, 2010, 8:02:19 PM3/11/10

Well certainly winning Rome is more important than winning the FO.

Superior Logic (a csman production)

Mar 11, 2010, 10:51:26 PM3/11/10

Will Federer leave any scraps for Sampras' legacy?

Superdave

Mar 11, 2010, 11:08:39 PM3/11/10

none

Scott

Mar 11, 2010, 11:22:56 PM3/11/10
On Mar 11, 10:51 pm, "Superior Logic (a csman production)"
> Will Federer leave any scraps for Sampras' legacy?-

depends on how we judge Lendl, Agassi, Becker, Courier, Edberg,
Kafelnikov, Rafter, Rios and Muster. was it a better era than today?
or, was it a more competitive era; in contrast to today's situation of
two guys totally owning the rest of the field.

TT

Mar 12, 2010, 1:23:18 AM3/12/10

I think you guys are just pissed off because because rogi couldn't do
even this on his own merits...needed Nadal to injure himself.

Patrick Kehoe

Mar 12, 2010, 11:44:18 AM3/12/10
On Mar 11, 10:23 pm, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:
> Vrai Cinico wrote:
> > Manco wrote:
>
> >> Which makes you insane with rage.
>
> > Some people think winning Barcelona is more meaningful than most weeks
> > at #1. Go figure!
>
> I think you guys are just pissed off because because rogi couldn't do
> even this on his own merits...needed Nadal to injure himself.

++ Rafa's got to stop injuring himself then... jezzzzzzz... :))

williemeikle

Mar 12, 2010, 12:54:10 PM3/12/10
On 12 Mar, 03:23, TT <n...@email.org> wrote:
> Vrai Cinico wrote:
> > Manco wrote:
>
> >> Which makes you insane with rage.
>
> > Some people think winning Barcelona is more meaningful than most weeks
> > at #1. Go figure!
>
> I think you guys are just pissed off because because rogi couldn't do
> even this on his own merits...needed Nadal to injure himself.

And how long do you expect to be using this excuse for Nadal's bad
form? It's not Federer's fault that Nadal is playing crap.

TT

Mar 12, 2010, 1:00:27 PM3/12/10

williemeikle

Mar 12, 2010, 1:32:47 PM3/12/10
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNf9rEPoc8Q- Hide quoted text -

Not answering the question then?

Manco

Mar 12, 2010, 2:16:55 PM3/12/10
4 Sampras records he can't touch:

* only player to win slams in teens, 20s, 30s
* won 8 straight slam finals played in(not consecutive on the
calendar, no French Open)
* 6 straight YE #1
* 2 streaks of winning Wimbledon at least 3-times in a row

number_six

Mar 12, 2010, 3:29:51 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 11:16 am, Manco <musefan2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4 Sampras records he can't touch:
>
> * only player to win slams in teens, 20s, 30s

Rosewall did this.

Manco

Mar 12, 2010, 3:37:40 PM3/12/10

Open Era.