Thiem and the stupid hit harder generation

PeteWasLucky

Jun 9, 2017, 1:37:41 PM6/9/17
Ugly to watch

SliceAndDice

Jun 9, 2017, 1:42:57 PM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:37:41 PM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Ugly to watch

Yup..not very smart play from Thiem, going for broke on this surface. Hopefully Stan does better in the final.

Gracchus

Jun 9, 2017, 1:44:04 PM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 10:37:41 AM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

> Ugly to watch

That's true of any Nadal match. Glad I'm not watching.

Court_1

Jun 9, 2017, 1:44:11 PM6/9/17
Stan will do better than Thiem but he won't win IMO. Let's get real.

Gracchus

Jun 9, 2017, 1:46:46 PM6/9/17
As long as Nadal doesn't "tweak his back". Or maybe that only happens on HC. ;)

SliceAndDice

Jun 9, 2017, 1:48:07 PM6/9/17
Nadal is the favorite for sure, but if anyone has the tools to outhit him on this surface, its Stan. Especially if he plays like he did the latter half of the fourth set and the fifth.

Pelle Svanslös

Jun 9, 2017, 2:05:30 PM6/9/17
In two games in the second Thiem tried to moonball Rafa. Didn't work any
better.

What's a poor boy to do? Play like he always plays. Too bad to make
anything happen, he has to run more than Rafa does. I'm not sure that's
a race he can win.

--
“Donald Trump is the weak man’s vision of a strong man.”
-- Charles Cooke

SliceAndDice

Jun 9, 2017, 2:28:14 PM6/9/17
I have never been sold on Thiem, to be honest. He lacks the tennis smarts, also that backhand is a liability.

Pelle Svanslös

Jun 9, 2017, 2:54:38 PM6/9/17
He's a lot of fun to watch. Maybe not today, but ...

> He lacks the tennis smarts, also that backhand is a liability.

Yes. And like Icey says, he has to work so much he's knackered in the
deciders. I think he was out of sorts in the second already.

Shakes

Jun 9, 2017, 3:25:00 PM6/9/17
:)

SliceAndDice

Jun 9, 2017, 3:29:30 PM6/9/17
That's a good point. Its too bad Stan did not find his mojo earlier in his career. Stan's offense vs Nadal's defense could have produced some fascinating, competitive matches on clay. Hoping for a good match on Sunday. Yes, Nadal might easily beat him up, but Stan relishes these contests and that gives me hope.

TennisGuy

Jun 9, 2017, 4:08:50 PM6/9/17
On 6/9/2017 1:37 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Ugly to watch

I tuned in to watch a few games of the second set.

Here's what I saw.

I noticed that Thiem's body language was all wrong.

- There was fear in his eyes. It was clearly visible.
- He was pumping his fist whenever he won a point.
Never a good sign for any confident player.
- He kept looking to his box with this fist pump as if
he needed further encouragement.
Again, never a good sign for any confident player.
- He was not being aggressive enough with most of his shots allowing
Nadal to come in the baseline and take over rallies.
- His serves just weren't getting the job done..

I had seen enough. Better things to do with my time. :)

PeteWasLucky

Jun 9, 2017, 4:19:58 PM6/9/17
As I said his hard hitting is useless when Nadal is staying back to rally everything.

Nadal will win 13 FO titles.

The Iceberg

Jun 9, 2017, 7:05:41 PM6/9/17
that's the whole problem with him, he fun and entertaining to watch, but it sounds like exactly the same as usual, he was tired.

SliceAndDice

Jun 9, 2017, 7:19:19 PM6/9/17
Tired how? He barely broke a sweat this tournament.

Court_1

Jun 9, 2017, 11:01:56 PM6/9/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 7:05:41 PM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:

> that's the whole problem with him, he fun and entertaining to watch, but it sounds like exactly the same as usual, he was tired.

Thiem wasn't tired; he's simply not good enough.

John Liang

Jun 10, 2017, 12:55:05 AM6/10/17
No, Thiem can't used tiredness as an excuses. He wasn't physically tested in this tournament, he won all his matches in straight sets. Thiem's understanding of court position is still very poor, I never understand why he need to stay 3 metres behind the baseline to return Nadal's slow 2nd serve, the depth on his shots were not consistently deep to trouble Nadal, he needs to stand closer to the baseline and play his shots with more consistent depth. My assessment of him is the same as it was last year after seeing his latest match against Nadal.

TT

Jun 10, 2017, 6:10:37 AM6/10/17
I think he's good but perhaps not just a great big match player...
At least yet.