These guys sell info about fixed matches

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 12:35:45 PM10/27/10
Such is the state of tennis at the challenger level now that these
guys will sell
you information about fixed matches so that you can profit.

Only saving grace for tennis is that these are low level events.

Even so, many recent complaints that match fixing is occurring at
current Russian ATP events.

Check this out: http://fixedtennis.blogspot.com

John Doe

Oct 27, 2010, 12:57:18 PM10/27/10
Maybe you should stop gambling...

drew

Oct 27, 2010, 3:41:59 PM10/27/10
On Oct 27, 12:57 pm, John Doe <j...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
> Maybe you should stop gambling...

I'm not sure whether you mean me personally or whether you are
referring to the practice of gambling on tennis.

I only bet significant amounts at the majors and unless you give me a
guy like Nadal or Sampras in a final, I'm
reluctant to risk much.

It's too late to stop the business of gambling. It's well established
now. Big business.

The problem of fixed matches in tennis is the perverse side of
gambling and most guys who wager hate it as much as people who
are dead set against gambling in the first place.

There is much that can be done to prevent match fixing on a large
scale but it will never be eliminated. It has to be a joint effort.
the ATP, the legitimate
betting establishments and the bettors themselves all have a role in
making sure the sport is clean.

I'm afraid that there will always be corruption in sports where it is
more profitable to lose by cheating than by trying to win. That's
been true in
horseracing for many years.

Whisper

Oct 28, 2010, 3:44:59 AM10/28/10

I have an idea - why not just stop betting?

Radical I know.

Fan

Oct 28, 2010, 6:52:49 AM10/28/10

Is this a gag?

drew

Oct 28, 2010, 9:40:56 AM10/28/10

To be honest I wondered the same thing. I just stumbled across the
site as I was reacting to recent complaints by punters crazy enough
to seriously wager on St. Petersburg 250 fixathon and I wanted to see
if there were any other recent complaints.

Anybody with an ounce of common sense would never bet much on a low
level event but some of these guys are so chronic that they have
to wager on something....anything....they aren't selective and they
WILL definitely lose as they are system players....like the guys you
see with
the roulette systems and so on....in effect trying to beat the odds
with their latest 'system'. In some cases I think the fix accusations
are just guys
pissed off because they are losing....but on closer examination there
is definitely substance to many of the complaints.

There is definitely market manipulation AND fixing going on here and
the ATP is essentially turning a blind eye to it at the moment because
to draw
much attention to it without a workable strategy to fight it would
bring the sport into further disrepute.

I really hope that the ATP will address this as the serious issue it
has become. Some will make the simplistic suggestion to stop the
betting. That is akin
to the reformers of society who say "Just outlaw prostitution" or
"Just say no" when addressing the issue of drug addiction.

And that reminds me of the way one would identify places to bet in
England in the old days. Just look for the sign in the pub that read,
"Betting prohibited".

I think that bringing public attention to the dodgy players is a good
thing because they will either be scared straight or they will become
more clever ala Donkeyboy.

If fixing becomes a problem at the 1000 level and at the majors then
the sport will go straight to hell but there is no evidence this is
happening right now.

I would compare it to horse racing. Corrupt at the cheap tracks, much
cleaner at the 'A' tracks, and pretty much clean in high stakes
races.

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 28, 2010, 11:10:01 AM10/28/10

Funny that you happen to be posting this now... yesterday I just tuned
into the Davydenko match... about 47 people in the arena to watch it
live, meaning you could hear echoes of someone dropping a cup in row
49... watching the tennis, a person could see just how easily matches
are/can be just 'played' to create a certain effect/result... AND AT
THE SAME TIME... the air of suspicion really affects/prejudices
viewing as well...

I had to 'force' myself NOT to see certain misses by 'denko as
intentional... such is his tainted reputation... and it's at these
'under the proverbial radar' that match fixing can occur 'out in the
open' because so little scrutiny is relevant there...

drew

Oct 28, 2010, 12:04:37 PM10/28/10
On Oct 28, 11:10 am, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> wrote:

...watching the tennis, a person could see just how easily matches

> are/can be just 'played' to create a certain effect/result... AND AT
> THE SAME TIME... the air of suspicion really affects/prejudices
> viewing as well...

Sure. These guys are so good that they can almost paint the lines.
When I hear people say
that it couldn't be done without detection it makes me smile.

Davydenko sold his reputation. Even his great matches will be
tainted.
It's a shame that talent ends up in such hands.

> I had to 'force' myself NOT to see certain misses by 'denko as
> intentional... such is his tainted reputation... and it's at these
> 'under the proverbial radar' that match fixing can occur 'out in the
> open' because so little scrutiny is relevant there...

Whatever he does now will have to be very slick. Nobody watches his
matches now without considering that the fix might be in. If he gets
injured
on the court people will suspect he's faking it.

Donkeyboy and his bro' might be looking at the smaller markets of a
match.

For example, he's clever enough to stretch a match out so that he
plays the
over/under market. That's really easy if you are playing a lower
ranked player.
You win the match but you make it closer than it should be.

That way he wins when he's supposed to.

There are also markets for specific scores of a set. If he's
confident he can get at least a break against
a lower ranked player he can play it for a tie-break market or exact
score market. This is less
fool-proof and involves a little more risk and there is less money
available in such markets but it's there for
the taking.

Pelle Svanslös

Oct 28, 2010, 12:57:55 PM10/28/10
drew wrote:
> On Oct 28, 11:10 am, Patrick Kehoe <pke...@telus.net> wrote:
>
> ...watching the tennis, a person could see just how easily matches
>> are/can be just 'played' to create a certain effect/result... AND AT
>> THE SAME TIME... the air of suspicion really affects/prejudices
>> viewing as well...
>
> Sure. These guys are so good that they can almost paint the lines.
> When I hear people say
> that it couldn't be done without detection it makes me smile.
>
> Davydenko sold his reputation.

Didn't the Tennis Integrity Unit find him not guilty?

--
"Another opponent, exhausted and thin!
Is bludgeoned to death by endurance and spin."

Patrick Kehoe

Oct 28, 2010, 1:44:31 PM10/28/10

Yes; you are correct about Denko... I just don't happen to believe in
his integrity where money is concerned... he's always worshipped at
the alter of money over titles and fame and everything else... perhaps
that's my undue bias and prejudice and that's my feeling about him...
certainly I could be wrong... we will never know... so I go with my
gut...

jdeluise

Oct 28, 2010, 1:51:15 PM10/28/10

On 28-Oct-2010, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pelle_Svansl=F6s?= <pe...@svans.los> wrote:

> Didn't the Tennis Integrity Unit find him not guilty?

Do you think there's a Tennis Integrity Unit Integrity Unit?

Pelle Svanslös

Oct 28, 2010, 2:49:07 PM10/28/10

I've grown suspicious of hairy Calamari jokes lately. Is this another?