Tomic out in straights

Carey

Jul 4, 2017, 11:07:16 AM7/4/17
...to Mischa Zverev.

mebbe next year huh

Whisper

Jul 4, 2017, 11:23:25 AM7/4/17
On 5/07/2017 1:07 AM, Carey wrote:
> ...to Mischa Zverev.
>
> mebbe next year huh

What's funny is Tomic described himself as 'top 10 in the world on
grass' just yesterday.

Poor guy has completely lost the plot. I don't mean 'poor' in the sense
I feel sorry for him as it's all self-inflicted, just that he's
seriously deluded at the moment. He definitely has potential to win
Wimbledon, but will never get close unless he changes his approach
completely. He made some odd remarks/attacks on Federer when asked if
he (Tomic) should donate his prizemoney to charity due to poor effort.
He said if Roger donates his 500 mil then he will.

It's a real car wreck & worth watching - highly recommended.

: )

---
http://www.avg.com

PeteWasLucky

Jul 4, 2017, 12:07:05 PM7/4/17
> He definitely has potential to win
Wimbledon,

I definitly don't like to argue with the king of arguing but why does he have the potential to win Wimbledon? What did he show that proves his chance to win Wimbledon? What did he do in his career?

TT

Jul 4, 2017, 12:12:43 PM7/4/17
He won a set off Djokovic a few years ago, at Wimbledon. That convinced
Whisp.

Court_1

Jul 4, 2017, 12:34:01 PM7/4/17
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 11:23:25 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:

> He definitely has potential to win
> Wimbledon

What an inane comment! The only thing Tomic has the potential for is ending up in jail.

Pelle Svanslos

Jul 4, 2017, 12:35:11 PM7/4/17
On 04/07/2017 18.23, Whisper wrote:
> On 5/07/2017 1:07 AM, Carey wrote:
>> ...to Mischa Zverev.
>>
>> mebbe next year huh
>>

> What's funny is Tomic described himself as 'top 10 in the world on
> grass' just yesterday.
>
> Poor guy has completely lost the plot. I don't mean 'poor' in the sense
> I feel sorry for him as it's all self-inflicted, just that he's
> seriously deluded at the moment. He definitely has potential to win
> Wimbledon, but will never get close unless he changes his approach
> completely.

He couln't have had a better approach than the one he had this year.
Countless 1st rnd losses just so he could get to practice his grass game
more.

Too bad. He was a real fave for the title this year.

Guypers

Jul 4, 2017, 1:05:43 PM7/4/17
LOL!
Skipits on politics, maxie on banks, whimpy on tennis zero knowledge!

Manuel aka Xax

Jul 4, 2017, 1:40:05 PM7/4/17
+1 :-)

jdeluise

Jul 4, 2017, 1:46:08 PM7/4/17
On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 10:05:41 -0700, Guypers wrote:

> LOL!
> Skipits on politics, maxie on banks, whimpy on tennis zero knowledge!

And StephenJ on films?

Gracchus

Jul 4, 2017, 2:25:26 PM7/4/17
The guy may think "The Seventh Seal" is a nature documentary, but at least he knows a lot about movie theaters.

Patrick Kehoe

Jul 4, 2017, 3:35:28 PM7/4/17
Tomic's presser after his first round loss today was fascinating and eerie at the same time. He was despondent, confused, embarrassed, irritated, fatigued and a bit shocked all at the same time. His face the portrait of a swirling mask of emotional possibilities. He kept lowering his chin, closing his eyes and slightly shaking out a subtle 'no' with his head.

He said he knew what to do, he needs to be more committed, he needs to work harder... he said he's not working hard enough and doesn't necessarily train the right way... he's finding it very difficult to find the reasons to work hard and put in the time he knows he needs to win trophies.

Tellingly and one has to shake ones head at this, he said, "I still have another 10 years left." Tomic said in 20 years I'll have all the money I need. Implying, he struggles with motivation to win trophies because he makes such a great living just playing at the level he does.

And right there one could only think of Becker; it might be a good idea for Tomic to seek out Becker BEFORE he leaves Wimbledon and see if he can get 30 minutes for a chat!!!

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Jul 4, 2017, 5:13:14 PM7/4/17
In article <8d33ca61-12f1-40f0...@googlegroups.com>,
pke...@telus.net (Patrick Kehoe) wrote:

> He said he knew what to do, he needs to be more committed, he needs
> to work harder... he said he's not working hard enough and doesn't
> necessarily train the right way... he's finding it very difficult
> to find the reasons to work hard and put in the time he knows he
> needs to win trophies.

He also said he was "bored out there".

If you can't find your interest in the game playing at Wimbledon on a
sunny day, it's time for a new profession.

wg

John Liang

Jul 4, 2017, 5:22:24 PM7/4/17
I don't think Becker will coach Tomic, as a coach Becker will definitely pick the player, if he will pick a player that has potential to achieve greatness not someone who has not show much in the last few year, I doubt Becker had the same feel about Tomic's talent. If Tomic get his act together he will be a solid top 15 player but he is not destine to win slam or be No.1 as whimp predicted back in 2012/13.

ed scheuert

Jul 4, 2017, 6:08:06 PM7/4/17
Perhaps Patrick was referring to the fact that he is currently filing for bankruptcy and could give Tomic some advice about the possibility of running out of "all the money I need" that he mentioned. Rather than as a coach.

TT

Jul 4, 2017, 6:24:29 PM7/4/17
Lol at seventh seal. :)

I was watching this Japanese film by Mizoguchi: The Life of Oharu (1952)
...which is a film having 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, one of Ebert's 'great
movies' and can be found on almost all serious best of lists. It is a
masterpiece.

Well, so far watched 1 hour and 45 minutes - and goddamn what a
pretentious bore! What makes it so 'great' must be the director and his
style: everything happens in slow motion and the shots are very long...
and it made Ebert cry because it's so melodramatic a story. And
everybody compliments its cinematography.

Obviously Ebert never saw old Finnish melodramas...

I paused the film to watch an old Finnish melodrama
Cross of Love (1946)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038870/reference

... and dear lord... the cinematography was thousand fold better than in
Mizoguchi's film, and the story was just as melodramatic but told in
less tedious way. The female lead was ten thousand fold more attractive.

Not sure what my point is other than that damn it's a shame most people
never heard of these old Finnish films while tedious Japanese films from
same era tend to be regarded as masterpieces of cinema.

Oh well, guess I'll finish Oharu now, so far she has tried being a
substitute mother, prostitute, wife and a nun... and I never felt
anything for the character. Still half and hour to go and notch more to
my cinephile belt I guess...

DavidW

Jul 4, 2017, 8:59:34 PM7/4/17
On 5/07/2017 1:23 AM, Whisper wrote:
> He made some odd remarks/attacks on Federer when asked if
> he (Tomic) should donate his prizemoney to charity due to poor effort.
> He said if Roger donates his 500 mil then he will.
>
> It's a real car wreck & worth watching - highly recommended.

I found a clip on youtube. In only 51 seconds he made a complete arse of
himself a bunch of times.

Thomas R. Kettler

Jul 4, 2017, 11:33:59 PM7/4/17
In article <cc04991e-38f2-48c3...@googlegroups.com>,
Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ...to Mischa Zverev.
>
> mebbe next year huh

"No Weekend with Bernie" lives up to the derisive nickname that I've
given him. Anyone who touts him is just courting disaster!
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.

ahonkan

Jul 5, 2017, 12:42:06 AM7/5/17
Just refer to the historic predictions of Whisper on Roddick, Federer etc
and you have your answer. He is not to be taken seriously.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 2:45:11 AM7/5/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 1:23:25 AM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
> On 5/07/2017 1:07 AM, Carey wrote:
> > ...to Mischa Zverev.
> >
> > mebbe next year huh
> >

> What's funny is Tomic described himself as 'top 10 in the world on
> grass' just yesterday.

Even funnier was your prediction/analysis that clearly stated he was going to win 2 Wimbledons in 5 years ( counting from 2012), he was destined to be a great player. Obviously most people didn't see he had the discipline or physical gift to get where you think he would.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 5:06:05 AM7/5/17
You can't 'prove' potential until the pudding is produced.

I can go into detail why I think he has the game to win Wimbledon, but
now is not the time in rst. The backlash will be predictable &
ultimately pointless. In the interests of saving time I'll endeavor to
stay out of these Tomic debates at this point in time. My views are on
record if interested.

The Iceberg

Jul 5, 2017, 5:06:38 AM7/5/17
this is all Fed's doing by raising the prize money so they'd get less motivated to bother!

The Iceberg

Jul 5, 2017, 5:10:07 AM7/5/17
LOL yes, that is what Patrick was referring to. It's highly doubtful Tomic will go bankrupt, he's happy with a top sports car and nice Gold Coast apartment and beer, which is affordable, whereas Becker has always lived a much higher and more decadent Monte Carlo type lifestyle. That's why he's spent all the money. It's a real shame these guys have such little a clue about money, apparently Mel B from the Spice Girls is now broke too, £38million gone!

The Iceberg

Jul 5, 2017, 5:11:02 AM7/5/17
On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 04:33:59 UTC+1, Thomas R. Kettler wrote:
> In article <cc04991e-38f2-48c3...@googlegroups.com>,
> Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > ...to Mischa Zverev.
> >
> > mebbe next year huh
>
> "No Weekend with Bernie" lives up to the derisive nickname that I've
> given him. Anyone who touts him is just courting disaster!

the frustrating thing is, he's incredibly talented and always has been, he hits the ball more naturally than anyone else, but he's also lazy.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 5:17:11 AM7/5/17
He's got a few mental health issues atm.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 5:21:17 AM7/5/17
On 5/07/2017 1:33 PM, Thomas R. Kettler wrote:
> In article <cc04991e-38f2-48c3...@googlegroups.com>,
> Carey <carey...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ...to Mischa Zverev.
>>
>> mebbe next year huh
>
> "No Weekend with Bernie" lives up to the derisive nickname that I've
> given him. Anyone who touts him is just courting disaster!

I haven't given up on him winning Wimbledon within 4 yrs. It's going to
take a huge physical/mental makeover though.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 5:24:02 AM7/5/17
On 5/07/2017 4:45 PM, John Liang wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 1:23:25 AM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
>> On 5/07/2017 1:07 AM, Carey wrote:
>>> ...to Mischa Zverev.
>>>
>>> mebbe next year huh
>>>

>> What's funny is Tomic described himself as 'top 10 in the world on
>> grass' just yesterday.
>
> Even funnier was your prediction/analysis that clearly stated he was going to win 2 Wimbledons in 5 years ( counting from 2012), he was destined to be a great player. Obviously most people didn't see he had the discipline or physical gift to get where you think he would.

But I don't know how seriously players will take their careers in the
long term. That's something nobody can really predict, especially with
volatile personalities.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 5:42:22 AM7/5/17
With Tomic it was very easy to predict, you look at his build, his athletic ability, mobility, dedication it wasn't really difficult to predict he wasn't a slam winning material let alone 'destine to be No.1 or multi slam winner' as you predicted. Mulit slam winners always has something special about them it does not take a great deal of knowledge of the game to see where Tomic came up short against most of No.1 and multi slam winners.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 6:08:20 AM7/5/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:06:05 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
> On 5/07/2017 2:07 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> >> He definitely has potential to win
> > Wimbledon,
> >
> > I definitly don't like to argue with the king of arguing but why does he have the potential to win Wimbledon? What did he show that proves his chance to win Wimbledon? What did he do in his career?
> >

> You can't 'prove' potential until the pudding is produced.

> I can go into detail why I think he has the game to win Wimbledon, but
> now is not the time in rst. The backlash will be predictable &
> ultimately pointless. In the interests of saving time I'll endeavor to
> stay out of these Tomic debates at this point in time. My views are on
> record if interested.

I think there are a lot of reason why people in RST did not think he would cut out a multi slam winning career, I did not care much about how he hit the ball but what was quite striking to me was his overall mobility, to cut it in slam a player must have far better mobility than what Tomic has in his whole career. The lack of mental discipline just compounded his problem.

kaennorsing

Jul 5, 2017, 7:13:49 AM7/5/17
Op dinsdag 4 juli 2017 18:34:01 UTC+2 schreef Court_1:
Much better chance for sure! :))

kaennorsing

Jul 5, 2017, 7:18:39 AM7/5/17
Op dinsdag 4 juli 2017 21:35:28 UTC+2 schreef Patrick Kehoe:
The difference is Becker actually had real talent. Tomic just the bad attitude without the true talent. Even if he worked as hard as Nadal and loved tennis as much as Federer he'd still never win a slam.

ahonkan

Jul 5, 2017, 9:26:54 AM7/5/17
On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 16:48:39 UTC+5:30, kaennorsing wrote:

> The difference is Becker actually had real talent. Tomic just the bad attitude without the true talent. Even if he worked as hard as Nadal and loved tennis as much as Federer he'd still never win a slam.

Whaddya know about spotting talent? Whisper has a monopoly on spotting
talent. Dontcha recall his Roddick and Federer predictions? This Tomic
thing ranks right up there.

He comes across as a lazy, clueless player. No talent whatsoever that
Whisper sees so clearly.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 10:58:12 AM7/5/17
Disagree. Your prediction can't be proven either way until his career
is actually over. You've claimed credit for winning arguments many
times & have always been proven wrong - eg you said Roddick would have
better career than Federer, you said it was scientifically impossible
for Rafa to win 2013 USO, you've written off Rafa many times & he always
disappoints you by winning - probably happen this Wimbledon too.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 10:59:56 AM7/5/17
These kinds of posts are useless. Nobody can possibly know what he'd
win if he worked hard & had Rafa's mental strength.

Whisper

Jul 5, 2017, 11:03:05 AM7/5/17
On 5/07/2017 11:26 PM, ahonkan wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 July 2017 16:48:39 UTC+5:30, kaennorsing wrote:
>
>> The difference is Becker actually had real talent. Tomic just the bad attitude without the true talent. Even if he worked as hard as Nadal and loved tennis as much as Federer he'd still never win a slam.
>
> Whaddya know about spotting talent? Whisper has a monopoly on spotting
> talent. Dontcha recall his Roddick and Federer predictions? This Tomic
> thing ranks right up there.

What about me tipping Rafa to win career slam back in 2003?

> He comes across as a lazy, clueless player. No talent whatsoever that
> Whisper sees so clearly.

He has a lot of talent, just mentally frail in recent yrs. You must be
clueless.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 11:13:59 AM7/5/17
I also said Federer would be a better player after I saw how he destroyed in Wimbledon semi in 2003, that was not at the end of their career but at that stage they both just broke through for their first slam wins. At that point in their career I said Federer would be a better player. Look it up.

you said it was scientifically impossible

I never use the term 'scientifically impossible' because I don't believe tennis has anything to do with science.

> for Rafa to win 2013 USO, you've written off Rafa many times & he always
> disappoints you by winning - probably happen this Wimbledon too.

Yes, I have written him off many time including winning a slam since 2013 USO, he did not disappoint me by shitting his pants every time when it comes to his chance to defend a non clay court slam.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 11:15:36 AM7/5/17
Disappointing and useless. Well, most don't agree with you on amount of talent that Tomic has or had, nobody consider him to have the talent of winning multiple grand slams.

John Liang

Jul 5, 2017, 11:24:00 AM7/5/17
Clueless would be to claim he was a multi slam winner or destine to win 2 Wimbledons in 5 years, or straight setting Nadal at USO 2013 should they meet, or destine to be No.1. He has some talent that is good enough to make him a top 15 player with some hard work.

Shakes

Jul 5, 2017, 2:31:52 PM7/5/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 4:18:39 AM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:
> Op dinsdag 4 juli 2017 21:35:28 UTC+2 schreef Patrick Kehoe:

> > And right there one could only think of Becker; it might be a good idea for Tomic to seek out Becker BEFORE he leaves Wimbledon and see if he can get 30 minutes for a chat!!!

> The difference is Becker actually had real talent. Tomic just the bad attitude without the true talent. Even if he worked as hard as Nadal and loved tennis as much as Federer he'd still never win a slam.

Also Becker didn't go wild in his lifestyle until after he actually won something. In his initial years as a pro, Becker was very hardworking and dedicated to the game.

Court_1

Jul 5, 2017, 10:30:42 PM7/5/17
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 5:17:11 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:

> He's got a few mental health issues atm.

He's got more than that. He'll never amount to much. He's damaged goods. His father must have really done a number on him but like other players who have been abused by their parents(Graf, Agassi, Pierce, etc) he doesn't have the mental fortitude to rise above it. You either have it in your DNA or you don't.

Tomic is more likely to end up in jail than win big titles.

MBDunc

Jul 6, 2017, 2:38:45 AM7/6/17
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 5:30:42 AM UTC+3, Court_1 wrote:
> Tomic is more likely to end up in jail than win big titles.

Funny, I thought same...

But there is smt there. Tomic has perhaps the most defects/shortcomings of top100 players starting with motivation/mental/movement/fitness/strategy issues - yet he has already gotten solid journeyman+ results. A minor title there and there. Many solid tour workhorses have lesser results.

Is it his obscure game? Is it his talent?

.mikko

kaennorsing

Jul 6, 2017, 5:59:57 AM7/6/17
Op woensdag 5 juli 2017 20:31:52 UTC+2 schreef Shakes:
Agreed, Becker actually won 2 Wimbledons before turning 19. Really no comparison whatsoever.

kaennorsing

Jul 6, 2017, 6:02:49 AM7/6/17
Op donderdag 6 juli 2017 08:38:45 UTC+2 schreef MBDunc:
It's his unconventional, ugly game. Once the tour figures it out he's toast... even more than he already is.